It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
BadSpock, I was pretty impressed with the completeness of the game. I cannot imagine beta is that far off. ArenaNet allowing press to play in this format was a big deal for us, but also a big risk. Companies normally dont show press this much of a game unless they are damn confident. No officialy word, but I think your time line is reasonible, that is based on my own assessment. I too am hoping for a May, June launch! Keeping my fingers crossed.
ProfRed, while I played alot. I was more focused on the fighting, I am not sure what the server rewards are, but again that is based off my own experience. I know there was a scoring system going on during the times keeps were held.
Originally posted by ProfRed Garrett is there any mention of what a server gets for winning a 2 week period? Any information on the transition for each 2 week period? Just curious, thakns!
The rewards for servers are very big. I saw a video. I addsthings like +2% to health regen for whole server, faster ext gaining, better chanced to craft something good. in the video there were 10 different bonuses for the whole server. they scales from +1% to +5% or something like that.
Here is a real WvW vid. 45 mins of epic WvW goodness. ^_^
Originally posted by TwilightEdge Originally posted by ProfRed Garrett is there any mention of what a server gets for winning a 2 week period? Any information on the transition for each 2 week period? Just curious, thakns!
Nice so some real good serverwide benefits to bring people to the battle. Now I wonder how your server is chosen. I guess in this version you actually choose a server verse just logging in like GW1. Need to find a good PvP server...
I also wonder how the transition works for the 2 week period. Do you get bonuses during it for what your server holds, and then at the end of the 2 weeks do you lose all benefits and a new war is started immediately? Is the area disabled for a couple hours while the new battle scenario is generated? Maybe during a downtime?
Things I will just have to wait to figure out i'm sure.
Originally posted by garrett BadSpock, I was pretty impressed with the completeness of the game. I cannot imagine beta is that far off. ArenaNet allowing press to play in this format was a big deal for us, but also a big risk. Companies normally dont show press this much of a game unless they are damn confident. No officialy word, but I think your time line is reasonible, that is based on my own assessment. I too am hoping for a May, June launch! Keeping my fingers crossed. ProfRed, while I played alot. I was more focused on the fighting, I am not sure what the server rewards are, but again that is based off my own experience. I know there was a scoring system going on during the times keeps were held.
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I can imagine press-only previews are more telling and trying on devs than community / public beta tests.
Your opinions and experiences are disected and spread all across the interwebz.
Hey garret may i ask you a question or 2 ?
Question1: Did you play Aion / Warhammer ? and if so can you give us a quick rundown on why GW2 WvW /RvR is just THAT much better ?
Question 2: How does the engine feel ? does it stutter / lags / low fps like warhammer / aion when people clut into 1 confined space ?
Question 3: When changing weapons do you stay as powerfull as with the other weapon or do you lose power if its not your main profesions weapon ?
Got so many questions but these 3 is Q's are on my mind witha thousands other one's !!
As a daoc and planetside vet my pulse quickened the moment you brought up that world pvp map.
I loved smashing the keep doors in daoc and killing every living thing inside the keep - this has been reborn.
1. I only played Aion a short time. I played a ton of Warhammer. So I can say this. GW2 PvP is better than both of them. Here is why...for me Warhammer should have had a multiple faction system instead fo a 2 faction system. Because GW2 will have 3 teams fighting over the WvW zone, it will give players more to do. Hence a better system.
2. In regards to the engine it functioned insanely well for what was literally an Alpha test of the game. My guess is when it comes time for launch NCSoft and ArenaNet will have everything in place to deal with any issues that may arise. It also can be controlled by player population on the servers. So definitely no issues with this aspect.
3. You stay the same power level with either weapon as long as you have used that weapon long enough to unlock all of the skills. The weapon system and weapon swap system is onc eof the most impressive aspects of the game.
Yes if you liked DAOC RvR....you will have a ton to be excited about
Originally posted by Sylvarii This is the best vid i have found so far,it's nearly non lag and full on..45 mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQCi7c0DuY
awesome vid. i have one worry, the last 15 or so minutes of the vid makes melee look pretty obselete. i hope this is not always the case.
It looks like endless battles for you pvp fans. Not my cup of tea, but in this game there is something for everyone (and that's a good thing).
Originally posted by Epicent Originally posted by Sylvarii This is the best vid i have found so far,it's nearly non lag and full on..45 mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQCi7c0DuY
i noticed that too. he switches from melee to ranged about 15ish minutes in, and then just sticks with a bow for the rest of it. it's just an alpha basically, but it's worrisome to me since my philosophy of games is hit it with sharp metal things until it dies. there does seem to be some melee going on in the background, but not much. it looks like the aoes make it hard.
EDIT: garrett, any chance you noticed how much melee fighting was being done, and how effective it was?
I hope this isn't as bad as all those other cash shop gamez
Originally posted by Master10K Here is a real WvW vid. 45 mins of epic WvW goodness. ^_^
Yeah, awesome vid, now that is PvP!
Few things I noticed:
1. There is no 'line of sight' / 'out of range', as in the attack still goes off it just falls short / hits a wall. Very happy about this
2. Looks like gear does get damaged from PvP death... hopefully you can make enough money from PvP to cover it, though it would be a good incentive to try other parts of the game if you can't.
3. What was the flaming sword thing? A random drop in the world, or did someone put it there (ability or purchased)?
Wow, thanks for sharing... Nothing...
I want to see WvW PvP, not you staring at the map and walking across some walls...
(>^_^)> MMO Veteran <(^_^<)Currently Playing: Tera Online
Originally posted by acidblood Originally posted by Master10K Here is a real WvW vid. 45 mins of epic WvW goodness. ^_^
2 Yes you get full Gear/ Weapon/gold "drops" in pvp. and you only have to repair your armor if you die repeatedly.
3. the flaming sword is a Elementalist skill, the elementalist can summon Elemental weaponry. like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQCi7c0DuY i was watching this till 35 min cus i realy need to sleep :P ill watch the rest of it tommorow ................ i saw all the gw2 videos and i didnt found something bad about this game . i think that ummm aegae aegge aegaewgaewgae ge AWSOME GAME DUDE !!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by atticusbc Originally posted by Epicent Originally posted by Sylvarii This is the best vid i have found so far,it's nearly non lag and full on..45 mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQCi7c0DuY
The reason why he backed off was because he's a low-level Warrior. Just because he was scaled up to 80...doesn't mean armor won't have an effect. Granted I'm sure the enemy players were just as vulnerable. Melee will have it's place in close-encounters, but in open field it simply makes practical sense to go with ranged attacks.
Wisdom is conquered with patience.
Yes there were open field battles all over the map. It was awesome when a group ran into another group. I would say it happened about 3 or 4 times while I was playing when a fight came into the open field. But again this was under specific circumstances. with the servers fully populated I can only imagine how it will go.
One thing I failed to mention is that crossed swords appear on the maps when fights break out.
Oh ma gawd that looks so awesome .
Pure awesomeness. This is what WAR should have been. I said I wouldn't get hyped for a MMO again but I can't help it. I'm hyped!
Are lowbies even able to contribute much? Or are they just cannon fodder?
Originally posted by biggarfoot With all the WvWvW going on, I'm not going to have time for the PvE side of the game. Going by what I have seen so far, I am STOKED right up for GW2 now.
If it lives up to half its hype, this is true. I won't know what to do since it all sounds fun and compelling, but that's a good problem to have.
My only concern is that this system is built around having what seems to be a massive population (WvWvW).
So not sure how that will play out.
Yet if TOR teaches us anything, it is that hype is.... well hype.
Looks alright. Hmm, I expected more of the WvW stuff in the video, think I'm gonna take a look at some other WvW videos, see what they show.
I have 2 general questions not strictly for RvR.
1)Can you zoom out your character? At most of the videos we see the same point of view/ distance.
2)Can u change keybinds? Havents seen anyone keybind anything yet. Only the default keybinds.
Couple things I have noticed.
1. The same video has been linked 3 times already in 5 pages. Kinda funny really.
2. I noticed the ranged thing as well. I think it could be one of two things though. It could be that giving every class the ability to do everything, and it seems all have a ranged weapon of sorts could cause a problem. Open world PvP could become Open world ranged PvP only. This would be bad. More than likely though I am thinking it may be because no one is even close to level 80. For melee that means alot of your class specific things to counter ranged and also the "talent" portions havent been upgraded. Also people really didnt have a chance to learn there classes. Sorry I dont buy the whole idea that with only a couple skills that makes you usefull. You still need to learn what all the weapon skills you can use are and how to best utilize them. You also need to be able to use/swap your class specific skills (buttons 6-0). All in all I'm thinkin its more of a level-time to learn thing.
3. I saw nothing in the video that would make me think in the end this wont be WAR v2.0. Ok so there is 3 factions. That just means there will be swapping of points 3 ways instead of 2 with random keep/sieges. With the point system you will have to take keeps more often but objective swapping will happen alot all the same. Remember, no one thought that would happen in WAR either. At first it didnt but eventually people will figure out the best way to gain points and with the exception of random encounters it will probably become static. The ONLY thing that will change that is the players themselves. To me thats not something the developers can really fix.
4.It looked like they still have some tweaking to siege weapons to do. I cant remember what article it was but it was mentioned the siege golem was a badass. If it gets to a gate that gate is going down fast. The only thing I saw was the 100k hp of the golem go fast. It didnt even do 1/4th of the damage of the gate. Again, part of it is knowing how to use it and part of it is perception without seeing it myself, but I was really unimpressed with the seige golem.