Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The Good & Bad of Guild Wars 2

Comments

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Well, I personally would like to thank the MMORPG staff for the articles.  Those of us who have to wait to try the game could feel your excitment for it through your writing, and it just makes the wait all the more painful!

As someone who loves to craft, I'm bummed that the system is kind of stale, but all other things being what they are, I can live with this.  I expected GW2 to be the best theme park any of us have played in ages, and it sounds like it will be.  Themepark games get themepark crafting.

On the upside, if the game is really as polished and fun as it sounds, then perhaps rather than complain about a myriad of faults and shortcomings, as we often find ourselves doing with modern MMO games these days, we can focus on coming up with ways for ArenaNet to improve crafting, and possibly see changes in patches or an expansion.  If not, then so be it.  I know I can expect more exciting crafting in games like ArchAge and other sandboxes.

On teleportation: As someone who is a sandbox player, and has no problem with long travel systems as long as the world is alive, I really didn't mind fast travel in GW1.  The fact is that the maps take so long to traverse, that if you want to be able to move around and meet up with friends and guildmates quickly, you will need teleportation in this game. I've come to expect it in games these days, and as long as I am not frequently zoning while playing *AND* having to teleport, then I can deal with teleportation no problem.  Like I said, it never bothered me much in GW1 at all.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080

One thing I will disagree with.

SWTOR being walled in. This makes 0 sense to me as there's so little zoning except for when you go in and out of your ship.

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328
    ... It's official... I'm re-hyped... Damn...
  • Ethan623Ethan623 Member Posts: 53
    Hi not sure if this has been asked as I'm late to the party :) not overly concerned about any of it but as there are loading screens. How long did they take to load and what spec is ur pc?
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Really none of those downers seem bad to me. 

Zones are large, so instancing them off is beneficial. Could you imagine trying to WvWvW PvP with the entire world loaded? We're not talking about games from way back when things like ambient lighting and normal mapping were hopes and dreams, games of today take way more resources to run for a reason. They're far more complex, and if you were lagging to hell in PvP because too many things were trying to load at once, you'd be pitching just as much a fit.

Teleporting, totally okay with. Immersion takes a backseat to gameplay, far as I'm concerned. I don't remember being immersed in Dr. Mario but I played the hell out of that game way back when. I sure as hell don't want to travel this huge world, without a mount, each and every time I want to do something. Teleporting ftw. I hope they eventually go a step further and let you set up your own way points or summon friends to you, and yes I want to be able to see a list of every one of the thousands of events and which is running and how far in it is so I can go right to them. Exploration is a first-time endeavor, it's no longer exploring once I've seen it the first time, including back-tracking and making alts.

Hate crafting, so the worse it is the less I have to deal with it. I understand that's a biased and unfair view of a system many people like, but I just don't, and no game has ever been able to make me like spending hours hunting for specific materials to craft something there's already dozens of on the market, just because people overprice the shit out of their wares. Not in the least bit interested in it.

No sylvari makes me sad, though. I was curious about the designs you could make with their character creation, as I've seen some that were less 'planty' and looked more alien and animalistic (horns and husks and such). I was curious if you could make asura look a little less like mogwai, too, but not as much.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

"On the other hand, teleporting is an “immersion breaker” in an otherwise very cohesive world." "The zones are absolutely huge, and there are so many of them it will take hundreds of hours to fully explore everything." Is it just me or am i missing the negative here? "It may be unfair, as we haven’t had enough time with it, but crafting in GW2 seems very “blah” so far." yep considering the whole game isn't available i'd say yeah it's too early.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Valentina

One thing I will disagree with.

SWTOR being walled in. This makes 0 sense to me as there's so little zoning except for when you go in and out of your ship.

That bit I missed.  Yeah.  the planets are big and if you stay on them, you'll pretty much never encounter a load screen.  That's a pretty big deal, especially on non-urban planets.

When you DO get to a load screen, however, those load times can be pretty hefty in comparison to most MMO's.   Load to ship and load to fleet aren't bad, but the planet load times are as long as the planets are big.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

OH MY GOD! Bill Murphy likes GW2. This game is SOOO DOOMED!! 

But I kid the "Optimistic One". I have one question here Bill. Does the personal story add flavor to your characters journey, or totally overshadow and dominate it as the personal story in "that other game" did?

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

Instance and zone are 2 different things Ppl should finally educate themselves.

True.. An instance is an area usually separate from the main gaming area that can have multiple running copies at a time.. Each catering to a different group or individuals during a single session.. The new technology for instancing has been phasing, where instead of loading into a different (sometimes smaller) area, the character is placed into his own copy of a particular section of a map (Like SWTOR when you walk through those green barriers and everyone dissapears)..

Zones are basically like boundaries to a map connecting other maps to it.. These could be present in any type of game where 2 large maps are connected but do not want to share or waste resources on updating and rendering objects that far from the player. Vanguard has a huge main world map, but it is broken into zones that allow the clients to only load and keep in memory the area for which they are currently travelling for the sake of performance.. These are SHARED areas for the most part and anyone present in the currently zoned area when the player arrives are who they will see when they "zone" in.

When does the two meet and confuse players? Everquest 2 features a system where each zone can have multiple copies of itself to accomodate players as needed. These seperate instances are not bound by a certain party or individual more of a sinkhole for overflow if a certain area becomes too crowded and degrades performance..

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

hey bill other than video of gameplay that we alrdy seen before  can you guys show off some new stuff and info please  open beta is on theyr way and we want new stuff not same gameplay video we seen before ..other than wvw  tahst kk but come on we wait too long and for few  video of gameplay  we alrdy seen before ..just mi opinion how abouth showing all hall of monument  rewards-open beta  specific day -announce collector editor game-last book if gw novel ,uknow what i mean

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Thanks for hyping me up for this. Damn your access!

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• KizzattaKizzatta Member Posts: 59

So I'm still equally as hyped, loading screens are prevalent in other games, even WoW. None of the downers are bad, crafting usually seems intimidating at first in an mmorpg for me. Someone mentioned above it gets better so I will wait and see for myself. Now Anet, release this gem for daddy.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by DaddyDark
    I am only concerned about crafting..

Same. But since I never felt this to be my main mmo, it doesn't disappoint me too much. This should prove to be a great filler mmo for me though.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Same. But since I never felt this to be my main mmo, it doesn't disappoint me too much. This should prove to be a great filler mmo for me though.

I wouldnt get my hopes up about crafting, so far I wasn't impressed with what been shown. But Im still conviced the game will be top shelf even with that issue.

Originally posted by Bunks

Originally posted by DannyGlover

I wouldnt get my hopes up about crafting, so far I wasn't impressed with what been shown. But Im still conviced the game will be top shelf even with that issue.

The quality of this game is obvious and we as gamers will reap the rewards of Anet's hard work. It will be easy enough to skip over the stuff thats not so great. If I can do that with TOR, I dont think it will be a problem here haha

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

Its funny to see Bill talk about the game...

Guys when we tell you this is not hype....it's not....

We were all blown away by Guild Wars 2 this weekend because it LIVED UP to the hype!

The game delivered on every level. 

:p 

Originally posted by garrett
    Its funny to see Bill talk about the game...Guys when we tell you this is not hype....it's not....We were all blown away by Guild Wars 2 this weekend because it LIVED UP to the hype!The game delivered on every level. 

Hype is personal preference. There is no such thing as The Hype, only Your Hype. I'm sure it has lived up to a lot of people's hype.

• StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199

Personal story.  Another single player game, another TOR.  Add that to the negatives.  This is an MMO, not Final Fantasy, not Skyrim, and not a book or movie.  I wish developers would stop pigeonholing MMOs into this single player, feature-stripped experience that detracts wholeheartedly from the overall potential of creating a true fantasy world to explore.

Professions: Homogenized, everyone is a hybrid, everyone can do everything.  Another negative.  Roles and professions create reliance and a sense of community.  That isn't to say that the holy trinity is the only way to go, because it isn't, on the other hand, letting every class do everything at all times, and forcing them to do so to be effective is an awful idea on the exact opposite of the spectrum.  Feels nice knowing you're just as interchangeable as all the other millions of people playing your game, eh?

Dynamic Events: Fine.  I prefer them to standard quest lines, but I wish people would stop staring all wide and googly eyed like it hasn't been done before.  It was done in Warhammer in public quests, and it was done YEARS ago in active, multiplayer MUDs, and every single one of them was run by a GM, and I'm talking MUDs with 2000-2500 concurrent players, the population of a standard server.

World vs World: The only positive thing I have read about GW2 so far.  Leaving it to be the sole good point in sea of more overhyped garbage, coming from the unquestioned kings of instanced, boring, closed off gameplay (ArenaNet - GW1).  I truly hope it is as good as they say, because it may prevent millions of people from feeling cheated by their purchase.  Nonetheless, I find the idea of being able to get that many people together in one zone, actively pvping, without game breaking lag or FPS drops to crash a NORAD supercomputer, frankly impossible.

Reading the negatives just makes me realize that this is nothing like a seamless, immersive world.  It's another casual gaming triumph, a dart on the bullseye of instant gratification.  Teleport wherever, zones and instances everywhere, instant in and out content.  I see GW1 all over again, with an updated graphics engine, and the 'everyone can do it all' class system.

No thanks, guys.  You gushed hype all over SWTOR, despite the apocalyptic problems with that game.  I didn't fall for it then, and I'm not falling for GW2 either.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Replace cheesy number 5 con with a new one

5.) Ugly UI.

Sorry fanboys, claim all you want but the UI looks bleh on it. Not saying I hate the game but by far  every time I look at the UI it makes me want to cringe. I know I know 'you can adjust it' yadda yadda, but it doesn't change the fact how its designed or how by default it looks. 

I just still don't like how they took out a supportive role like a healer. People find such a job fun and to remove it completely... nothing is wrong with the aspect of tanks/healers. You don't need to completely remove them, there are other things you can do to have the 'job' still present though not a nessessity. 

Either way I'll probably end up getting this game, or at the very least be pushing for beta to give a taste for it. Being a one time charge its unlikely I can resist getting the game (I did the same for GW1, though I'll admit I quit it after a week and never went back) so unless I completely dislike it, I'll probably step foot in the world.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Complaining there is a Personal Story is like complaining there are too many armour sets. Don;t like it? Don ;t do it. Wow I guess you didn;t think about that. But I expect too much probably.

Andbout UI. For me it's beautifuul. I always likes paint brush effect etc. It's personal opinion.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by Kimmyboy

We were all blown away by Guild Wars 2 this weekend because it LIVED UP to the hype!

The game delivered on every level ?

1. OK, ever since ... 2004 ... we had seamless open worlds with background loading in Azeroth...

That's an industry standard feature in the present day in the most popular and played MMORPG.: NOT present in GW2.

2. OK, ever since ... 2007 ... we had no longer 2D painted backgrounds: EVERY mountain/forest/city you see IN that seamless open world of Azeroth you can walk to , FLY to and climb to : NOT present in GW2.

3. Ever since the very early mmorpg's it is ALL about seamless open worlds to walk, ride and even fly over.

GW2 - as described in this article - is just a bunch of pre loaded zones connected to each other with PRE LOADING graphics screens and some portals.

Excuse me, but this is not delivering "seamless open worlds"  at all.

So the game didn't even deliver the standard  MMORPG functions as seen in "the Blizzard game".

You might as well call Diablo 3 a full fledged mmorpg too, which it ain't.

Is the game good, and does the virtual world seem alive despite the portals.  These are the questions you need to ask and  If the answers are yes then 'portals' are irrelevant.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Count me in the camp of Teleports not being immersion breaking.  My first MMO was Asherons Call back in 1999 and that entire game is based around upon having "item magic" to be able to bind and port around to get where you want.  Ive always found the magic of teleporting fit more into a fantasy based RPg then a mount system TBH.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Kimmyboy

The game delivered on every level ?

1. OK, ever since ... 2004 ... we had seamless open worlds with background loading in Azeroth...

That's an industry standard feature in the present day in the most popular and played MMORPG.: NOT present in GW2.

2. OK, ever since ... 2007 ... we had no longer 2D painted backgrounds: EVERY mountain/forest/city you see IN that seamless open world of Azeroth you can walk to , FLY to and climb to : NOT present in GW2.

3. Ever since the very early mmorpg's it is ALL about seamless open worlds to walk, ride and even fly over.

GW2 - as described in this article - is just a bunch of pre loaded zones connected to each other with PRE LOADING graphics screens and some portals.

Excuse me, but this is not delivering "seamless open worlds"  at all.

So the game didn't even deliver the standard  MMORPG functions as seen in "the Blizzard game".

You might as well call Diablo 3 a full fledged mmorpg too, which it ain't.

You know WoW actually done the same just hid it better, someones already confirmed that.

In WoW content loads as you run toward the zone making you think you are running in a already pre loaded zone. Though if you tried teleporting or using a train you'd run ino a loading screen.

That and graphics and quality resources wasn't needed. I wish I could find the post but it was stated already, how ever I understand you huge dislike/fear of this game so by all means continue your rant must say it's very entertaining.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

Hallelujah!! 

FINALLY a modern MMORPG with Fast Travel options! :-)

No more spending 1/2 my playtime travelling from place to place on a boat or a f* bird! for the 100th time! ^_^

Arenanet it seems you have answered my prayers!

I'm not surprised that someone else nailed Personal Story so soon. I mentioned it to a few people that tthe barrier to duplicate the "killer" feature of SWTOR was very low for any existing or new MMO that wants to do it. 

Look out for a "personal" story in Rift's next expansion as well I bet. And the Pandas...I'm sure the Pandas will get personal too.