Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Is Tera gender targeted

SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

I personally have noticed a ton of interest in Tera from other girls I know. Was in my Rift vent last night and Tera was the topic of conversation,  Most of the guys were either like meh or hated it, but a surprising amount of the girls across the board had already pre-ordered and love it.

Another thing I found interesting it was appealing across our age barriers as well. We have girls in our guld from 8 years old to 56, and they all seem to like it.

All and all it made me feel kinda bad for only feeling it's an ok game, because most of the girls are very passionate about it.

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

it's not gender targeted, it's region targeted. the region is Asia, they absolutely love that stuf over there.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

That's not true. Well, not for me anyway. I love the style, especially how they depict beautiful people. GW2 character creation is equally capable from what I've seen and I'm sure the pool of NCsoft artists has helped to that.

Now, in terms of clothing, I prefer the non modest of Castanics, with second best in my choice the fashionable High Elves.

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

female gamer here, and i love it.   most of my girl friends have already preordered the game as well.

it is the kind of game, that captures that fantasy feeling very well, from the moment you first login in.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I've noticed some female players, playing together as elin or elves, though none in my guild, we are all in it for the action combat. Its always guys that slag off the art style, it must be a macho thing to hate pretty graphics, " grrr, my penis demands sepia tones, crew cuts and guns! ".

The very broad race selection may entice a wide age range.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i was talking about the Popori and Elin race. i dont think anyone in the west has any problems with any of the other races, however the presence of those 2 races takes the game from an "i love it" to " it's ok".

every race is interesting in Tera.     so far my favorite race is high elve, followed by humans,  followed by castanics.

if i ever try playing a melee class, i will pick aman.

my least favorite race is Elin.

one thing i hated about swtor, was that every race was basically human.  they all looked alike, had same hairstyles, same facial structure etc.   you basically had human with blue skin, human with green skin, blind human, human with horns.   i hated it

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

i was talking about the Popori and Elin race. i dont think anyone in the west has any problems with any of the other races, however the presence of those 2 races takes the game from an "i love it" to " it's ok".

the popori i love.   if you read the lore behind them,  you see it all makes sense.    the elins however i feel, could have used some work.   elins should have been winged faeries, and smaller than what they are, size wise.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Once you get into the atmosphere you learn to just laugh at popori or elin swinging massive axes around, like the silly races in WoW. The combat animations on popori for warrior and slayer is very good, as each race as very different styles and gear. You learn to respect elin after seeing one tank BAMs without any damage for hours.

in Everquest 2.  there are plenty of animal races.  they even had a hilarious Frog race.  with colorful skin patterns!p

and a race of Rats wich were adorable.

i think popory fits perfectly in the beautiful fantasy world of Tera.   samething about the elins,  since they are supposed to be similar to a fairy. or spirits of nature.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by zevni78

Once you get into the atmosphere you learn to just laugh at popori or elin swinging massive axes around, like the silly races in WoW. The combat animations on popori for warrior and slayer is very good, as each race as very different styles and gear. You learn to respect elin after seeing one tank BAMs without any damage for hours.

Not only that but the world doesnt really work by the rules of our world, they have massive trees that attack you and orcs, I think its ok to have a small race with a massive axe :P

• XenostarXenostar Member Posts: 11

I think a lot of westerners just don't prefer this art style. It's something I've never really understood because I think games like this are so gorgeous. I don't see why anyone would prefer graphics and character models like Everquest/Swtor/Skyrim/Rift to this, to me the characters and models are just really nasty in comparison. In SWTOR, I chose my character's features/race/hair based on which ones I disliked the least. In TERA, I chose all those things based on which one I liked the most. It's funny how this phenomenon seems to be a constant with me between eastern/western MMOs. I will say, I think WoW got a really good mixture of western/eastern style, sort of a unification. Probably another reason it has such a broad appeal to so many people.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by Xenostar

I think a lot of westerners just don't prefer this art style. It's something I've never really understood because I think games like this are so gorgeous. I don't see why anyone would prefer graphics and character models like Everquest/Swtor/Skyrim/Rift to this, to me the characters and models are just really nasty in comparison. In SWTOR, I chose my character's features/race/hair based on which ones I disliked the least. In TERA, I chose all those things based on which one I liked the most. It's funny how this phenomenon seems to be a constant with me between eastern/western MMOs. I will say, I think WoW got a really good mixture of western/eastern style, sort of a unification. Probably another reason it has such a broad appeal to so many people.

Like everything its up to choice, most people have little exposure to eastern culture only people that really like it, it has been an anime/manga hardcore fans domain for many years, and its only now with internet essentially on every home that it has really started to take off the awareness of that culture and even then there is a lot of prejudice still.

I for one can appreciate both, I really do enjoy Korean/Japanese art style but I also like a lot of the stuff that we do here in the West.

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

Not a single female that i know would touch a mmorpg. SO NO.

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by Nadya3

female gamer here, and i love it.   most of my girl friends have already preordered the game as well.

it is the kind of game, that captures that fantasy feeling very well, from the moment you first login in.

I haven't played the game myself yet, but this is exactly the impression I get from the screenshots and vids I've seen. This is part of whats got me interested in TERA. That and the combat system.

Last time I checked, I was a dude.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Otomox

Ah the mythical female MMO gamer.  So few of them around, right?

http://blogs.parc.com/playon/2012/02/01/phase-ii-participant-overview/

Out of a sample of over 800 US players, 39% of them were female

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

People tend to fixate on the skimpy clothes and some of the races, but when it comes right down to it, TERA actually caters to pretty much all the possible "beautiful/handsome/pretty/attractive" categories through one race or another (irrespective of any sexual connotations). Whatever your gender or tastes, odds are pretty good that you can make a character that appeals to you visually. Plus, it helps that the game has good enough graphics to actually make the issue worth pursuing.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I don't think its gender targeted, it cleverly has something for everyone.

There is a character type for almost every type of person in this game... from those who like to play cutsie animals to those who like serious manly men.  Even the lolicon fans and the girly elf lovers can get something for them in this...

It really appeals to a wide audience in my opinion.

P.S.  I'm probably rolling an Elf... Mystic.

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

Originally posted by teakbois

First im not from the us. 2nd probably they count shit like angry birds and other facebook games when they talk mostly about girl gamers.

Originally posted by teakbois

First im not from the us.

Then you have no idea about the gender division among US gamers and therefor your opinion on such is completely and totally baseless.

I've known plenty of female gamers. I AM from the US.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

I've noticed some female players, playing together as elin or elves, though none in my guild, we are all in it for the action combat. Its always guys that slag off the art style, it must be a macho thing to hate pretty graphics, " grrr, my penis demands sepia tones, crew cuts and guns! ".

Dude, I'm totally not macho, but I dislike that art style (and Aion, etc.). 

I like my combat-based games to give options. If you want to be a stylish magic-user, go for it. But if you want to be a gritty, scarred and brutal axe-wielder, you should be able to. 

I'm not saying it's a bad art-style per se, just that it's not for me and I can't play a game where the art-style actively grates on my nerves (like Aion did to me). 

I'm going to bring up WoW here to illustrate a principle. Horde has Orks, etc., and Blood Elves.*  Alliance has Dwarves (and Worgen) and Night Elves. There are options for if you want to be the beautiful people or the brutal ones.

*Personally, I think Blood Elves ruined the Horde, but that is not relevant here.

Originally posted by TROLL_HARD

I like my combat-based games to give options. If you want to be a stylish magic-user, go for it. But if you want to be a gritty, scarred and brutal axe-wielder, you should be able to. 

I agree with this, options are always good. Trouble is, most games dont give you the option. Its either gritty and ugly ~or~ pretty and beautiful. Few offer both, and western games tend to lack the latter. So to me its a refreshing change.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I'm not saying it's a bad art-style per se, just that it's not for me and I can't play a game where the art-style actively grates on my nerves (like Aion did to me). 

I'm going to bring up WoW here to illustrate a principle. Horde has Orks, etc., and Blood Elves.*  Alliance has Dwarves (and Worgen) and Night Elves. There are options for if you want to be the beautiful people or the brutal ones.

*Personally, I think Blood Elves ruined the Horde, but that is not relevant here.

I am in full agreement with you on this, I love a broad selection of races, that was one of the things that killed Rift, everyone looked the same, if only they did with their characters what they did with mounts, i'm sure more people would still be playing.

Thankfully, TERA actually has this imo, I can be a human with a boss beard and a scar or fancy preppy boy nightelf, a dinosaur Amani or a gentle stone giant, a catgirl, a fat dog, maybe even a demon chick or a giant tittied night elf.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

Most of the characters I've seen have two really big beautiful targets

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

Amani.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Let me introduce you to male Aman, Baraka, and human, i think thats gritty and brutal enough.

Originally posted by rav3n2

Originally posted by Xenostar

Like everything its up to choice, most people have little exposure to eastern culture only people that really like it, it has been an anime/manga hardcore fans domain for many years, and its only now with internet essentially on every home that it has really started to take off the awareness of that culture and even then there is a lot of prejudice still.

I for one can appreciate both, I really do enjoy Korean/Japanese art style but I also like a lot of the stuff that we do here in the West.

That and Western side has been exteremely racist through out history and that kinda is ingrained in their culture. Most of the time its not even purposely but people hate easter stuff for the simple fast its eastern. Not any real meaning but people hate them why? Because of the deep racist root that most people don't realise that they have against other culture. Thats the really scary part XD

But ya i love Asian art style, i can't stand freaken skyrim because everyone look like they been living in a hole for the past 20 years and decide to finally crawl out and make me want to murder everysingle person in the planet to looks so freaken ugly -.- I understand they are going for realism here but FYI there is a thing call the uncanny valley. Here is a good video on explaining what that is : http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/the-uncanny-valley

But on topic i think Tera target both gender pretty well, its not ugly as hell like WoW where all female are force to play character that look well super ugly (beside blood elfs) this game offer females to play something cute liek Elin or something sexy and daring like castanic or more grace like high elf or well human, hey they aren't that bad XD. And for man you get those who like playing sexy character because if your going to stare at it all day might as well be something worth staring at. And all the other stuff =X.