Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There's Plenty of Work to Be Done

ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

As great as the game is so far, this section is the most telling.  It's also interesting because most of the videos I watched had virtually no lag whatsoever.

There's plenty of work to be done

As much as I would love to be able to plunge right back into the world of Tyria, ArenaNet still has plenty of work ahead of them before Guild Wars 2 is ready for launch.

Specifically they need to iron out the game's performance issues. I played on my powerful desktop PC and a capable gaming laptop, both of which struggled with the game on anything other than the lowest graphics settings. Cranking up the quality resulted in horrid frame rates, and massive world versus world battles between dozens of characters caused both systems to slow to a crawl. ArenaNet just needs to fine tune the game's engine, finding the right balance between beauty and playability.

Once they get that taken care of and iron out the sort of tiny bugs and glitches that plague any MMO beta, they'll be on the path to releasing what could be one of the greatest massively multiplayer online role-playing games the genre's ever seen. It's got the looks, it's got the mechanics, and most importantly, it's got the giant gaping hole in the ground I've learned to love.

Source (www.kotaku.com)

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Its fun to see that only certain hardware setups have these performance items while others don't.... this is where a bigger beta is needed to test all those hardware configurations..

Next to that every MMO with mass combat needs this special button that instantly tunes down graphics untill the framerate gets above a certain treshold.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

exactly, this is not a summer release.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Its fun to see that only certain hardware setups have these performance items while others don't.... this is where a bigger beta is needed to test all those hardware configurations..

Agreed. Most of the videos I saw looked smooth to me.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

This.

The performance issues a few people had is the only thing people can seem to find "wrong' with all of the impressions released today.

9/10 make no mention of bad performance.

We see what we choose to see. I question the motivation of anyone who focuses so narrowly on any one specific thing.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

We don't even know if this is a real issue or not.  It could be due to many of the people have issues running FRAPS or the game running in debug mode with extra safety checks typical of a test client.  It could very well be issues with certain hardware too and the game.  I think people are being a bit alarmist about lag / framedrops which are typical of any early beta build.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Next to that every MMO with mass combat needs this special button that instantly tunes down graphics untill the framerate gets above a certain treshold.

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

keep in mind this is an Alpha Build of the game running. Also at some points they overloaded the server as a stress test during the demo weekend on purpose to test the capacity. 

We had almost no issues with game play performance. 

:p 
  • jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

a few gaming sites (and so far i have heard of 2) having performance problems with certain PC/laptop configurations hardly qualify for the statement that there is yet plenty work to be done!

Actual what we see does not give a lot of reason to worry about the game going to be ready soon.

Its what we don't see,(azura, sylvari) that we can speculate about if it means that its not ready yet or just hold back for later beta rounds.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

I reckon a lot of these "reporter" types are far from being computer savvy. A lot of this might very well be PEBCAK.

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

It may sounds selfish, but I'm much more interested in server performance than cient performance, since I can't solve server performance by throwing money at it.

So far, it seems like the problems people are having are due to their respective PCs rather than anything server side. I'm all for optimizing clients, but seriously, some people hop into an MMO with a mobility GPU and then complain about performance. This is 2012, people, and I for one am tired of playing games designed to run on 6 year old hardware configurations.

Now, since Kotaku didn't release their system specs, I can't say for sure that they were playing with an outdated system, and if they weren't, then I can understand the frustation, especially after playing Tera, which looks amazing and plays like butter, but I just think people in general need to step up and make sure they have a decent hardware configuration before expecting every game to run at 60fps with 50-100 player characters on their screen.

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

Some say the performance issues are fraps related and undoubtedly some of them are and some of them aren't.

In any event, good performance is key especially so in WvW and focus on fixing whatever needs fixing in this regard should be high priority - considering that in every other aspect of the game ANet seems to have delivered what was promised.

* Waves at Pushkina *

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

It is client-side from what I can see

But yep

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence