Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 and/or TERA can they help save MMOs?

Comments

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Depends on what you are looking for...to the pver's and the pvpers that are more casual pvpers...i'd say guild wars is the one.  I'm more a hardcore sandbox type of guy...the closest thing for us is tera.  Still Tera isn't a sandbox though.  I prefer that sandbox total freedom to do what I want and pvp waht I want. 

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

No. Both games bring nothing revolutionary to the market.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

Originally posted by Eir_S

Originally posted by forest-nl

SWTOR is released so now all you mmo junks start hyping guilwars 2 lol your all so predictable:)

GW2 was already the most eagerly awaited game on this site before SWTOR was even in beta.

By what messure?

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Snaylor47

Originally posted by Eir_S

Originally posted by forest-nl

SWTOR is released so now all you mmo junks start hyping guilwars 2 lol your all so predictable:)

GW2 was already the most eagerly awaited game on this site before SWTOR was even in beta.

By what messure?

Hype on the front page.  My point was, "we" did not start hyping GW2 after or because of SWTOR.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Xasapis

The Secret World holds as much interest in my opinion as the other two. This is a good year for MMOs, that seem to bring something different to the table. And by different, I don't mean a complete revamp of the MMO formula as we know it. However, for me, if you can say that X MMORPG is like Y, except it has this and that, it is a good enough reason to try it out.

We're hearing that it's a good year for MMOs the last 4 years and so far nothing really good has been released. But this year I indeed thing it might be a good year.

TERA looks promising, IF EnMasse/Frogster will use some criminal rule-set on the PvP servers (or we'll see an other AoC happen with gankers everywhere in lowbee areas)

GW2 might be interesting (not realy followed that one) because of it's WvWvW that's incorporated for resources. Nifty thing IMO!

TSW - not sure... It's FunCom and I'm no fan of them after their failed promises for AoC and personally I don't like the setting it's in. But I can imagine some ppl might be typed by it

Bottom line, I think indeed TERA and GW2 might be 2 to make a good impact on the market. For myself, I'm leaning towares TERA if there will be a criminal rule-set. If not, then I'll try my luck with GM2 (just saw the 3 city movies and I was impressed)

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

GW2 maybe.

TERA, no. There's nothing in TERA that's new.

Secret World? No. Funcom. They've outright lied about games before (Age of Conan) so I'll wait until this ones launched before even considering being excited about it.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    While these games don't have a feature set like the various wow clones, some of them do have things in common with each other, especially gw2 and tsw -
    Similar combat, using lots of movement, active dodging etc..
    Gw2 events / tsw monster ecology & invasions
    Rvr style pvp
    Easy teaming and reversed gear curve compared to your wow style mmo - e.g. progress vertically at start, progress horizontally later.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gw2 has been top of the hype league here since before swtor launch

Archeage and tsw were also above swtor
  • Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

As much as I like both Tera and GW2 I really dont think they are going to change jack shit honestly, AA might do some change but nothing much either, the genre is pretty much set for what it is and I believe its hardly the games that became more boring its just that we vets became more bitter and harder to please and the studios dont see much to gain by doing so.

• neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276

Someone mentioned Planetside 2.  I forgot that it is supposed to come out this year too.  I guess I have just been let down so many times over the past few years and spent way, way too much money on MMOs that failed.  From Warhammer Online, Tabula Rasa, and of late SWTOR each held what I thought was going to be so much potential only to see that potential fail to come anywhere near what was hyped.

I guess I have just become jaded.  Oh well I have dozens and dozens of single player games that I have bought over the past few years that I haven't even really touched so if GW2 and/or TERA fail I may just move on.  But in the back of my mind I long for those days of old when I enjoyed UO and even vanilla WoW.   

Of course a lot of it in my case is trying to scale back my playtime.  And with a six year old who loves attention I just don't have the time like I used to.   Gone are the days I was able to spend 30 minutes finding a group, another 30 to get a run started and so on, only to see groups break apart and have to spend 30 more minutes waiting for this or that class.

That is why I am so hopeful about GW2 and the lack of need for a dedicated tank or healer.  Maybe it will be easier to run random groups like days of old.

One of the problems I have is being torn between loving instance/raid finders and despising them.  Sure they seem like a good idea but if you decide one night not to run as a tank or healer then you are going to spend a ton of time in queues.  I hope GW2 will help change this.   Call it selfish but I want to be able to play a game where I can be a part of a group, yet living and dying is more up to my skillset and not that of someone else.   Also that way each person is accountable for themselves and what they do.  

We've all been there in a party that the majority of the players know their part yet we wipe over and over again just because of one player.  Maybe a tank that doesn't know how to aggro, a healer that lets the tank die because they decided to DPS instead of heal, or the DPS that got cocky and pulled extra mobs.   I know that is part of the fun, but it is also part of the bane of MMOs as well.   So I like the idea of dumping the trinity in GW2 and each player being more accountable for themselves.  To me it sounds like in GW2 that a player that dies will not be able to say "hey it was the tanks fault" or "learn to heal noob" or such as everyone plays an equal part in the overall wellfare of the party.

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

GW 2, TERA and TSW are on a good way to bring back variety.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I'm more curious about when people on this site will learn, it's a never ending cycle of disappoitments. Everytime a new triple A MMO is close to release, people put there hopes in it, hoping it will be the savior of MMOs.

It never happens. Once you are over the Tera/GW2 fad you will be back here posting about the next new MMO.

WAR was suppose to be the PvP savior of MMOs. AoC was supposed to be the innovation that was going to being MMOs back to greatness .. It just keeps going on and on and on.

I think it's time to wake up and be realistic

• hardcorerhardcorer Member Posts: 34

MMOs don't need to be saved, they need innovation and fresh blood.

Looking for good ARPGs!

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

In the case of Guild Wars 2 ....

If you are new to MMOs you will be blown away.

If you are a veteran player you will be thanking the MMO Gods for an amazing game full of experience and more importantly the return of epic PvP. 

This game really is a step above everything we have seen in the last 5 years of MMOs. It is truly awesome. 

:p 
  • ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

i dont c why ppl r saying it dosnt need to be saved IT DOES...the genrea is stuck in a rut...all MMO's cuurently have been the same old thing since WoW was released...and if u dont c it then u r blined or just plain dillusional and dont want to let yourself see it. GW2 seems like it MIGHT be a game changer but to me it still looks like the same thing we have seen b 4...a mixture of GW/WoW /SW and Vindictus, the only game that might and i say MIGHT save and revolutionize the genre could be Archeage....otherwise the MMORPG genre is going to be forever stuck in the constaint loop of things....

So please put Archeage on the list...

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

For diversity reason, let's not forget about Firefall and End of Nations. They are F2P, but have a real good chance at bringing thngs into this genre that has never been here before. They'll definately be good for the next gen MMOs.

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

id like to add that full loot pvp is the only true PvP experience and a MMO that says it has good PvP in it and dosnt have full loot shudnt even claim they have epic PvP....cuz its not...its just button smasing unskilled madness with no tactical logic behind it....like a bunch of fat kids fighting over a box of hershies chocolate.

• cadamlcadaml Member Posts: 37

I think im cursed or something. Can't log onto any mmo and play it. Just end up saying to myself "meh... dont feel like it" and exit the game and go watch tv. Even watched some gw2 videos.. another meh. Don't even feel like looking up Tera even though it probably looks/sounds badass or w/e.

Im cursed i tell ya!

Maybe if i finally finish watching all the how i met your mother episodes on netflix ill finally feel like playing a/any game at that point but for now it just feels like mmo's are dead and will continue to be dead :(.

signed,

Meh (lol)

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

I think GW2, TERA, TSW and ArcheAge will all bring new life to the genre. Whilst none of them are perfect they each have at least one element to them which is a massive leap forward over the WoW model.

The generation after them should be something really special, assuming they don't all fail financially. :)

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Scypheroth

id like to add that full loot pvp is the only true PvP experience and a MMO that says it has good PvP in it and dosnt have full loot shudnt even claim they have epic PvP....cuz its not...its just button smasing unskilled madness with no tactical logic behind it....like a bunch of fat kids fighting over a box of hershies chocolate.

The best PvP game is chess ... and you don't get to keep the pieces.

lol 

(Got to laugh at the "my ruleset is the best and all you other gamers are inferior" metality.)

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

For those mentioning Archage, do you honestly believe it'll launch in 2012 in US/EU? Or are we talking really long term? Because if we do, then I hold more hope for WoD than anything else.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

The things are enrolling as I predicted:

SWTOR is sinking ship - sending clear message that copying WOW will not cut it anymore.

GW2 (seems to) is huge sucess and everyone will play it - sending clear message that innovation and breaking mold is the way to go.

Skyrim & Minecraft - show clear message that sandbox gameplay has huge audience and that it doesnt need PVP to be sucessful

It seems that we are slowly exitinf the dark ages of MMOs

Thanks to above games

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I think Gw2 will be to MMOs what Skyrim is to RPGs - A solid title on release at b2p with a solid community and dev support behind it. Gw2 will certainly make its mark on the MMO genre. Will b2p threaten or change pricing schemes? We'll have to wait and see. What will be most interesting is how we as consumers will feel about how much we pay and what for.

Archage has many many awesome concepts (concepts they have demonstrated) and forgiving the old style combat system it will certainly have things to make you not care about that. I want my own town/farm thing! I WANT COWS. As to what kind of impact it will have on the industry? Mm less than substantial - people will notice this game and it will no doubt be of quality production but it may end up being lined up against wow as another mildly successful competitor.

TSW - WTB more solid info. Snooped around website and it intrigues the hell out of me. Calls to the explorer in my soul. The darkness calls me. I hear her whispers.

Phantasy Star Online 2 - Japanese exclusive (nuuuuuu) It would be nice if I could find the video my friend sent me but a few key points were action-oriented combat, random map/monsters generator ala Diablo. Never the same place/zone/dungeon twice.

Age of Wushu/Wulin - Finally a kung fu game that looks almost half decent. The skill learning system is something I've dreamed of in kung fu games but have always ended up being 'Pick a weapon, lvl up, get more (some useless) skills by lvling.' The ability to just learn from different schools seems really cool but I speculate that it will ultimately suffer 'skip quest text, kill ten rats, get vendor trash, skip next quest text' syndrome. Killing 10 rats with badass kung fu moves might still be worth it though.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

What we need is a black swan event. Something so outside the standard that it almost changes the title of MMORPG. No MMORPG released recently or on the horizon is offering this.

The fact that a thread was made just to validate whether these games are 'saving' anything is your answer.

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

Originally posted by Wolfenpride
    I think Archeage might. I'm not terribly optimistic that it will, but if I had to choose i'd say I think it has the best chances at reviving MMO's, at least for those who are tired of the WoW model.
    Tera does look very interesting and is putting a fresh spin on combat that should be very fun. I haven't read much on the political system but it sounds interesting as well. Beyond that though from what i've seen the game is still just questin n killin though.

Archage and WoD are my candles in the dark, but I also am not optimistic.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.