Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The Closed Beta Preview

Comments

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Originally posted by InFaVilla

Originally posted by Raora

Am I the only one who does not get all this so called hype for this game? Seriously

Judging by your post history you seem to like SWTOR a lot and now we know you cannot see why this game is hyped, so you may just be one of those people who either can keep playing same dull mechanics over and over again without ever getting tired or you are simply new to the MMORPG scene so that everything in SWTOR is new and exciting to you. 

Or he's just projecting his dissatisfaction with TOR onto GW2 because he's upset with how badly that game turned out.

We'll be seeing a lot of that in the coming days.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by aligada87

Am I the only one who does not get all this so called hype for this game? Seriously

dude why are u hating on the game, it isn't even released yet so why are you judging it already. if you say it's because you tried gw1 then, just dont. i'm not a fanboi of gw2, and to be honest this will be my first gw game, but stop harrassing the game, when it hasn't even been released yet. also i'd like to know what game that is going to be launched doesn't get hyped?

Lol, the dude just said he doesn't get all the hype. You then go on to accuse him of "hating on the game" , "judging it already""and to " stop harassing the game". You then go on to state that you are "not a fanboi of gw2"

You might want to rethink that last bit.

why even ask that question? 1. if your simply trying to say dude, seriously is this game worth that much hype? i don't think so. 2. get attention from people. also i def don't think i'm a fanoi since i don't ever check their website, 2 i only check on gw2 like maybe twice every 2 month. i'm defending the game for being harrased with comments to why is it even getting hyped, thus leads to more other gamers out their that just loves to judge games that hasn't even been released and thinks it has no future. so you sir can stfu

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

dude why are u hating on the game, it isn't even released yet so why are you judging it already. if you say it's because you tried gw1 then, just dont. i'm not a fanboi of gw2, and to be honest this will be my first gw game, but stop harrassing the game, when it hasn't even been released yet. also i'd like to know what game that is going to be launched doesn't get hyped?

Lol, the dude just said he doesn't get all the hype. You then go on to accuse him of "hating on the game" , "judging it already""and to " stop harassing the game". You then go on to state that you are "not a fanboi of gw2"

You might want to rethink that last bit.

why even ask that question? 1. if your simply trying to say dude, seriously is this game worth that much hype? i don't think so. 2. get attention from people. also i def don't think i'm a fanoi since i don't ever check their website, 2 i only check on gw2 like maybe twice every 2 month. i'm defending the game for being harrased with comments to why is it even getting hyped, thus leads to more other gamers out their that just loves to judge games that hasn't even been released and thinks it has no future. so you sir can stfu

I am glad to see you have taken my advice and rethought that last bit, at least that's what I assume from your reply anyway. Also this is a forum and I don't think I need to shut the fuck up as you so acronymously put it.
  • Jaro420Jaro420 Member Posts: 13

Hmm this games not very ground breaking looks like the same old mmo.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I highly suggest you grow a thicker skin towards this game or you're going to be in for a very long and frustrating ride over the next several months. Frankly, I don't see what was so bad about his quote but if you think it was then...well...as they say: You ain't seen nothin' yet.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

@ bill murphy, do you think my gf pc can run the game? she has a pentium 4 hyper threading single core, 2 gigs of ram, gtx 550ti 1 gig. some people are saying that gw2 will have the ability to play gw1 gfx but is this just a saying or it is true? what do you think bill since you played it already.

I think she may be able to run it, at very low settings.  My system is a beast so it's hard for me to say.  But even on low settings, it looks decent.  She should be fine.  But crowded areas may make it chug.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

ah thanks bill, this will put a smile on her face lol, AND A SMILE TO MY WALLET!!!

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

I would love to give GW2 a try until i found out that it didn't have the dual profession component.  I love playing hybrids and it's just a bit of a turn-off that that piece didnt make it in

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Equinoxa

Originally posted by BadSpock

Originally posted by Equinoxa

Leveling has been fun with almost every mmo...more or less. what counts for me is the endgame - and that has imo been a fail in the last three released and highly hyped mmos so far. so don't be surprised if i'm being a bit pessimistic on that account. i admit though, there is still a little spark of hope that gw2 might be the game - if the endgame content meets the expectations, however.

You might be disappointed because there is no end game in GW2.

well, there must be some sort of content to play as one hits max level? i suppose it will be WvW and PvP then?...thought i read something about dungeons.thx for the information anyway...never played gw1 or eve online :)

The entire game is end game really.

You just.. play... and when you hit max level, well, there are still tons of things to do you may have not seen yet.

Of course you also have alts, 8 different professions, unlocking all the skills, there will be gear, and competitive PvP will have ladders and tournaments etc. and of course WvW.

There are dungeons, story mode which is kind of meant for you to go through once while leveling and then exploration mode which is probably the closest thing to "end game" content you will find in GW2.

But you can do all the stuff above from level 1-80.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by BillMurphy

@ bill murphy, do you think my gf pc can run the game? she has a pentium 4 hyper threading single core, 2 gigs of ram, gtx 550ti 1 gig. some people are saying that gw2 will have the ability to play gw1 gfx but is this just a saying or it is true? what do you think bill since you played it already.

I think she may be able to run it, at very low settings.  My system is a beast so it's hard for me to say.  But even on low settings, it looks decent.  She should be fine.  But crowded areas may make it chug.

70% (or more) of that 2gb is being used by the OS...  I highly doubt it.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Unlight

Originally posted by brody71

Shhh, they may throw stones.

im interested in this game but im taking it for what it is.  reviews ive read/seen have been varied.  anywhere from saying the solo gameplay is fantastic to you cant complete a dungeon unless you have a dedicated healer.  so they that kind of made my think.  i thought they were doing away with the "holy trinity" and i thought they were focusing on "group play".

also i wanted to see someone shoot there arrow thru fire and have it ignite.  but ill wait on that one. 

Can you link that review if you can find it?  I'd love to see how the author made use of a dedicated healer in this game.  From what I've seen, no profession is a potent enough healer to keep a group standing for long in a dungeon.  Damage avoidance and personal healing are reported to be the only truly effective mechanics to keep you alive.  Other players will only be capable of taking some of the edge off with much more inefficient AoE heals and restores.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SMYW3tvYeE 

he talks about it around 13:45 - 14:45.

I've got the straight edge.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I highly suggest you grow a thicker skin towards this game or you're going to be in for a very long and frustrating ride over the next several months. Frankly, I don't see what was so bad about his quote but if you think it was then...well...as they say: You ain't seen nothin' yet.

well maybe i misunderstood what he meant, if so i appologize to the guy, and as for the future reference of the game, ya i already am expecting it. many mmo gets judge once it's played and that is understandable. but to judge a game before it is released, well imo the person should just stop playing mmo period

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

Here's a video with graphics on high. At least it looks like high. I was too dissapointed by graphics when watching some players but I heard a lot of people had performance issues and had to run the game on low.

It's from massievvely. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VKxrTaVO69Q#!

This one is definately worth a view really noticeable improvement on most of the other vids I have seen.

• justincojustinco Member Posts: 12

oops, dbl post.

• AbsnthmindedAbsnthminded Member Posts: 1

As far as I can tell, there have been nothing more than a few "meh" moments from press coverage and almost entirely "wtfbbq" reviews. Still so hard to believe the hype? It's really just fanboyism? Wow. Haters gonna hate. 

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

well maybe i misunderstood what he meant, if so i appologize to the guy, and as for the future reference of the game, ya i already am expecting it. many mmo gets judge once it's played and that is understandable. but to judge a game before it is released, well imo the person should just stop playing mmo period

To be fair everyone is judging the game before its released for good and bad impressions, that's life, I judge the car I am going to buy before I have owned it, you make decisions based on the information at hand, but I don't see why people get to extreme hyping and hating before release. I hope they hurry up and release it, I can't be bothered with months like we had with SWTOR.
  • GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

Originally posted by BillMurphy

70% (or more) of that 2gb is being used by the OS...  I highly doubt it.

Naa not if you run a lean mean XP. I'm asuming XP is supported of course.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

To the PvE'ers worried about PvP focus at end-game:

This is a fear you have because, in the past, PvP was a very segregated portion of the game. It was one or the other, and if you were only good at one, you were useless in the other. While PvE'ers may want to avoid the arena/5v5 matches, there IS PvE gameplay in WvWvW. In other words, you are still useful and necessary! If you don't like to PvP, you can still aid your server by building trebuchets, summoning weapons for your allies to pvp with, create Golemns for them to run off and destroy things with, clear monsters and NPC guards for them, protect your keep, heal/buff/guard from the towers, etc! It's an extremely inclusive environment where everyone is helpful and everyone is necessary.

And, if while in there helping in a PvE sort of way, you find you might want to take part in a battle or two and get dirty well...that's just icing on the cake :)

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

im interested in this game but im taking it for what it is.  reviews ive read/seen have been varied.  anywhere from saying the solo gameplay is fantastic to you cant complete a dungeon unless you have a dedicated healer.  so they that kind of made my think.  i thought they were doing away with the "holy trinity" and i thought they were focusing on "group play".

also i wanted to see someone shoot there arrow thru fire and have it ignite.  but ill wait on that one. 

Can you link that review if you can find it?  I'd love to see how the author made use of a dedicated healer in this game.  From what I've seen, no profession is a potent enough healer to keep a group standing for long in a dungeon.  Damage avoidance and personal healing are reported to be the only truly effective mechanics to keep you alive.  Other players will only be capable of taking some of the edge off with much more inefficient AoE heals and restores.

He never says anything close to what you claim he said though.  He even says there are no dedicated healers... 

He even says there is no trinity.  Stop trolling.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

You said "need a dedicated healer"

He said "roles still exist"

That is not the same thing. Dedicated healer = priest, monk, etc., standing in the back spamming heals with their eyes glued to the party health bars. Roles = versatile mechanics you can switch in and out of. Take for example, another press interview a while back about an all-warrior group doing a dungeon and completing it successfully. The "roles" they played switched constantly. When one person went down, someone took on the "role" of healer to get him up and support the team for a moment until the situation was under control, then went back to dps'ing. Another warrior might have gone crowd control for a moment to take care of adds. Etc. That's still far away from the classic trinity, which is all Anet has ever claimed in the first place.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Originally posted by InFaVilla

Judging by your post history you seem to like SWTOR a lot and now we know you cannot see why this game is hyped, so you may just be one of those people who either can keep playing same dull mechanics over and over again without ever getting tired or you are simply new to the MMORPG scene so that everything in SWTOR is new and exciting to you. 

It always comes down to this, doesn't it. One person says they don't like the game, then the SWTOR vs GW2 crap starts flying. Incidentally, he never said word one about SWTOR.

I am super stoked for GW2 and cannot wait for it to launch. I also happen to love SWTOR. I guess I need to troll myself now...so sick of this divisiveness from both sides. uggh.

While I have to admit I found the footage here a little less appealing than I epxected (graphics wise), I can chalk that up to fraps. I have seen enough vids elsewhere to show what this game looks like turned up.

I love the idea of getting rid of traditional, wow-style questing. I loved RvRvR in DAOC, but that said, I am wondering how it will play out here. I am skeptical of that being the sole, grand focus in the end, not because I dont think it will work from a mechanic point of view, but from a community perspective.

Back in DAOC, I was Midgard, and I fought the same Albs and Hibs. I got to know my enemy, and they got to know me. We had faction pride, you bet, but we also had a community between enemies. *That* was a big part of the fun in DAOC pvp for me. I see that as being all but impossible with one server against another, then rotating, which kind of bums me out.

I also really don't see communities in any MMORPGs built like they used to. I love the concept of DEs, and am excited to try them. But folks don't communicate in these games anymore--will we just all show up, everyone effectively soloing together, and then go our own ways when the event is done? New concept, but more of the same to me, community wise.

Still. Anet is the only one out there really giving us something new, and I am excited to try it. I cannot wait, just wording some concerns really as discussion points.

To be fair everyone is judging the game before its released for good and bad impressions, that's life, I judge the car I am going to buy before I have owned it, you make decisions based on the information at hand, but I don't see why people get to extreme hyping and hating before release. I hope they hurry up and release it, I can't be bothered with months like we had with SWTOR.

the games beta was only released like what 3 days ago though, and to use a car as your analogy, is a bit strong, because when you buy a car, you go by the brand. for example, you buy nissan because it, is the most durable car you believe is out there. you already have based facts on the car you want to get. ya you can go with toyota if your a nissan user, but there is already a strong fact out their how good the car is and the durability of it. in mmo industry it's a bit different. for example, everyone said wow was awsome, its fing amazing, or your gonna live in wow and replace your gf. i tried it for 5 min and hated it. it wasn't my kinda game. i would sudgest using a different analogy in the further future.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

That is not the same thing. Dedicated healer = priest, monk, etc., standing in the back spamming heals with their eyes glued to the party health bars. Roles = versatile mechanics you can switch in and out of. Take for example, another press interview a while back about an all-warrior group doing a dungeon and completing it successfully. The "roles" they played switched constantly. When one person went down, someone took on the "role" of healer to get him up and support the team for a moment until the situation was under control, then went back to dps'ing. Another warrior might have gone crowd control for a moment to take care of adds. Etc. That's still far away from the classic trinity, which is all Anet has ever claimed in the first place.

he says the trininty as in your class can only perform certain functions does not exist. That does not however mean that roles are not required to be effective.

I.E. in a dungeon you will need tank/heals/dps.

I've got the straight edge.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

he says the trininty as in your class can only perform certain functions does not exist. That does not however mean that roles are not required to be effective.

We've had lots of earlier previews in which was told that you did not need the Holy Trinity. Trying to use one video to undermine the notion of GW2 lacking the Holy Trinity wasn't such a smart move.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Then explain to us, please, who is the tank, and who is this mythical dedicated healer class, oh, and where anyone has said you will need one in a dungeon - as you claimed someone said.  It wasn't in the video you linked.  In fact, he said the opposite.