Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The Closed Beta Preview

Comments

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by Otomox

You guys overhyped every single mmorpg in the last years? Remember the mmorpg reviews of SWTOR? Yes i do i dont beleave anything of any overhyped game anymre.

Get REady for the next overhyped mmorpg that gonna fail after 2-3 months? Whats next hype wave after that.

Like I said to the other guy, you and I have been reading different reviews and articles.

This is not a game.

• EquinoxaEquinoxa Member UncommonPosts: 10

Originally posted by BadSpock

Originally posted by Equinoxa

Leveling has been fun with almost every mmo...more or less. what counts for me is the endgame - and that has imo been a fail in the last three released and highly hyped mmos so far. so don't be surprised if i'm being a bit pessimistic on that account. i admit though, there is still a little spark of hope that gw2 might be the game - if the endgame content meets the expectations, however.

You might be disappointed because there is no end game in GW2.

well, there must be some sort of content to play as one hits max level? i suppose it will be WvW and PvP then?...thought i read something about dungeons.thx for the information anyway...never played gw1 or eve online :)

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234

im still curious if my girl can play this wonderful mmo :( she can play swtor at full settings without lagging, and the game has bad coding lol, SO DOES THAT MEAN ANYTHING LOL

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Good preview, its nice to see more footage of the game in action and also read other's impressions.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

They need to hurry it up so we all can play it!

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• RaoraRaora Member Posts: 243

Am I the only one who does not get all this so called hype for this game? Seriously

• justincojustinco Member Posts: 12

I am very much looking forward to this game as well, mostly for the WvW and PvP. But, you can't say GW2 is innovating with a dynamic world and towns/villages being taken over by bad guys. Rift has done this since day 1 with its rifts and invasions, and does it very well.

I can only hope GW2 is as polished and complete as Rift was on release day...minus the horrific level 50 pvp Rift had in the beginning of course :)

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Bill, one of the complaints about SWTOR is the Solo feel even though in my eyes, its only solo if you want it to be. I'm curious about the social aspects of the game and how it caters to that, be it at hubs, what those hubs feel like, the chat system, whether this is a game where leveling with someone gives you an advantage over leveling solo, social interfaces like a built in Vent like system, emotes, chat bubbles,  whether being in a guild really matters,etc. As I am new to following this game and this article may force me to preorder lol, I'm curious about those aspects.

There Is Always Hope!

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Raora

Am I the only one who does not get all this so called hype for this game? Seriously

Shhh, they may throw stones.

im interested in this game but im taking it for what it is.  reviews ive read/seen have been varied.  anywhere from saying the solo gameplay is fantastic to you cant complete a dungeon unless you have a dedicated healer.  so they that kind of made my think.  i thought they were doing away with the "holy trinity" and i thought they were focusing on "group play".

also i wanted to see someone shoot there arrow thru fire and have it ignite.  but ill wait on that one. 

I've got the straight edge.

dude why are u hating on the game, it isn't even released yet so why are you judging it already. if you say it's because you tried gw1 then, just dont. i'm not a fanboi of gw2, and to be honest this will be my first gw game, but stop harrassing the game, when it hasn't even been released yet. also i'd like to know what game that is going to be launched doesn't get hyped?

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by BadSpock

Leveling has been fun with almost every mmo...more or less. what counts for me is the endgame - and that has imo been a fail in the last three released and highly hyped mmos so far. so don't be surprised if i'm being a bit pessimistic on that account. i admit though, there is still a little spark of hope that gw2 might be the game - if the endgame content meets the expectations, however.

You might be disappointed because there is no end game in GW2.

well, there must be some sort of content to play as one hits max level? i suppose it will be WvW and PvP then?...thought i read something about dungeons.thx for the information anyway...never played gw1 or eve online :)

When someone says there's no end game, they mean there's no end game in the traditional sense, meaning raiding, raiding and more raiding.  The endgame of GW2 consists of the same types of activities you would have been experiencing from the moment you stepped into the world at level 1, only more difficult and more complex. 

For instance, you will do all the dungeons first in story mode, which is only a moderately difficult version of the instance, which focuses on your personal story.  After completing that, you can revist that dungeon in explorable mode, with a vastly ramped up level of difficulty requiring very effective teamwork to complete.  There are three versions of every explorable mode dungeon, which will take you to different areas, give you different enemies to fight, have different objectives to achieve and provide different rewards.  Also, there are random events that take place in explorable mode so you never know exactly what you'll be facing because the experience changes each time you do it.

Beyond that hard stuff, there are all the dymanic events that you didn't see as you levelled up (which will be the majority of them), that you'll be able to go back to and expperience at level because the game will scale you down to an appropriate level of power to play the content.  This makes it impossible to outlevel content, so all of it remains viable once you cap at 80.

And in addition to pure content, there is, as you mentioned, the PvP, which many see as something to keep them interested in for the long haul.  Judging from what I've seen of it so far, GW2's PvP is a gift that will keep on giving.  Then of course, there's the standard stuff like achievement hunting, goody collecting, mini-games (aka Activities), etc., which will give most of us at least some long term mileage.

So "end game" is a term that really doesn't apply to GW2 because you've started it as soon as your character first appears in Tyria-- it just doesn't stop.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by Unlight

So "end game" is a term that really doesn't apply to GW2 because you've started it as soon as your character first appears in Tyria-- it just doesn't stop.

I was going to come in and write a reply... but Unlight nailed it.  Perfect description.  This isn't a gear grind... it's a "content-a-thon" that changes every day.  At level 80, you'll likely be doing WvW, taking part in dungeons, competitive PVP, and dynamic events.  And let's not forget that ANet will be adding more and more to the game as it ages too.  

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by brody71

Shhh, they may throw stones.

im interested in this game but im taking it for what it is.  reviews ive read/seen have been varied.  anywhere from saying the solo gameplay is fantastic to you cant complete a dungeon unless you have a dedicated healer.  so they that kind of made my think.  i thought they were doing away with the "holy trinity" and i thought they were focusing on "group play".

also i wanted to see someone shoot there arrow thru fire and have it ignite.  but ill wait on that one. 

Can you link that review if you can find it?  I'd love to see how the author made use of a dedicated healer in this game.  From what I've seen, no profession is a potent enough healer to keep a group standing for long in a dungeon.  Damage avoidance and personal healing are reported to be the only truly effective mechanics to keep you alive.  Other players will only be capable of taking some of the edge off with much more inefficient AoE heals and restores.

• spicexspicex Member CommonPosts: 14

Just can't wait for open beta date..!

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Looks good, def going to be worth the $60.

I wonder about mob dropped loot?  Are there rare spawn mobs? Or is everything through dynamic events?  Would you search out a certain type of mob to kill for drops?  These are few things I've noticed missing in recent MMO's and I kind of miss from EQ1 days.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

IMO and im not trolling...but imo it looks like another easy mode mmorpg just from looking at that vid.  and also looks alot like rift grafx wise...i sure hope they / dev / comp. stick to what they said about adding content "all of the time" so far trion is the top dog atm when it comes to listening to what people want and content

but so far the eye test says / looks like more of the same atm..but then again i was never a big fan of gw1

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Personally I think ppl who say that GW2 looks like more of the same are ignorant fools. You don;t have to like what you see. You can think it won't work. But saying that the whole game is more of the same is simply trolling.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I must say everything I have seen so far is rather impressive and has piqued my interest. Really the only "negative" I can think of at this point is that the vo seems corny as hell. Frankly, if the examples I have seen are basically the way it goes for the game in general I would have preferred they simply not have it. Their vo seems out of place and like they're reading right off the cards. Just straight up cheese.

Outside of that everything else looks really sweet so far.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I must say everything I have seen so far is rather impressive and has piqued my interest. Really the only "negative" I can think of at this point is that the vo seems corny as hell. Frankly, if the examples I have seen are basically the way it goes for the game in general I would have preferred they simply not have it. Their vo seems out of place and like they're reading right off the cards. Just straight up cheese.

Outside of that everything else looks really sweet so far.

That is kinda weird since I remember that I was pretty imprssed with the list of actors they hired in for the job... Felicia Day was one of them but there were a lot I recognized there.

Oh, well. Better the voice acting than the combat or something important.

@ bill murphy, do you think my gf pc can run the game? she has a pentium 4 hyper threading single core, 2 gigs of ram, gtx 550ti 1 gig. some people are saying that gw2 will have the ability to play gw1 gfx but is this just a saying or it is true? what do you think bill since you played it already.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by Loke666

Oh, well. Better the voice acting than the combat or something important.

Very true. I mean if that ends up being my "biggest complaint" or "issue" with the game then I'll be one happy s.o.b.

Besides, sometimes corny vo does have its humor. Albeit usually in unintended manners.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Freaking EPIC....I cant wait for this game to come out.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by aligada87

dude why are u hating on the game, it isn't even released yet so why are you judging it already. if you say it's because you tried gw1 then, just dont. i'm not a fanboi of gw2, and to be honest this will be my first gw game, but stop harrassing the game, when it hasn't even been released yet. also i'd like to know what game that is going to be launched doesn't get hyped?

Lol, the dude just said he doesn't get all the hype. You then go on to accuse him of "hating on the game" , "judging it already""and to " stop harassing the game". You then go on to state that you are "not a fanboi of gw2"

You might want to rethink that last bit.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Judging by your post history you seem to like SWTOR a lot and now we know you cannot see why this game is hyped, so you may just be one of those people who either can keep playing same dull mechanics over and over again without ever getting tired or you are simply new to the MMORPG scene so that everything in SWTOR is new and exciting to you.