Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The Good & Bad of Guild Wars 2

Comments

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Originally posted by chilliz

Just great more zones, and numbered zones, and jumping and seeignl oad screens.  This is what was awful about GW1, bloody destoyed AOC, and now this so called next gen mmo has to have  zoned copys of areas

There are loading screens, but I don't think there are "copies of zones". And it was estimated that a zone is AT LEAST the size of Barrens, but unlike Barrens, they're actually filled with stuff. This instancing you're referring to is true for personal stories though.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

oh boy this answers all my questions.........Seriously Bill this seems extremely biased and lacking extreme details. If I could rate this I would rate it very low because you did not even attempt to remain netural.

This just sounds like buy now buy now! Nothing about performance, what you felt was missing, problems you could possibly see happening.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

BillMurphy, what about the performance? I heard it was rather poor during this event.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Originally posted by Djildjamesh

after so many write ups, still not an answer. How BIG is  BIG when talking zones :P?

it's really the only question im dying to find out for so long ! Can anyway that knows compare it too a few maps or exsiting games ? WoW, Aion, Swtor i dunno something :)

As I said a few posts above: I'd say at least the size of Barrens.  They're BIG.  Like, REALLY big.  And FILLED with stuff to find.

Where's MMO.Maverick!?

Good summary. I'm happy they ditched mounts. Teleporting may be far from perfect but better than mounts/coconuts imo. I'd be happy with fewer/more expensive teleport technology + risk of randomly sending you into the wilderness far from any other teleport! image

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Teleports, i never liked the idea since it kills the immersion.

I don't really get this PoV... TPs never broke my immersion in EQ and they don't in modern games.

If they are part of the lore I can't see how they break immersion :/

• GagelishGagelish Member Posts: 13
    The zones are way less walled in than ToR but they're only the size of The Barrens? I'm sorry but there are plenty of planets in ToR that are way bigger than The Barrens and at least the convention of them being different planets somewhat justifies loading. It's not like you could seamlessly walk from Tatooine to Hoth.

Guild Wars 2 will probably be excellent but this is just needlessly biased. I get plenty of spin from the primaries, I don't need nonstop BS from my gaming sites too.
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Originally posted by Gagelish

The zones are way less walled in than ToR but they're only the size of The Barrens? I'm sorry but there are plenty of planets in ToR that are way bigger than The Barrens and at least the convention of them being different planets somewhat justifies loading. It's not like you could seamlessly walk from Tatooine to Hoth.

Guild Wars 2 will probably be excellent but this is just needlessly biased. I get plenty of spin from the primaries, I don't need nonstop BS from my gaming sites too.

Dude what's the difference between "at least" and "only"? Also, it was stated that a zone is filled with stuff (e.g. DEs)

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by leojreimroc

I'm wondering why is it that only blizzard can make a truly seemless world?  For me, this was one of the most impressive parts of WoW, that you could go from one end of the world to another without zoning once.  Why is it that more games don't also do this?

It's not truly seamless, evidenced by the fact that you go to a loadscreen if you get teleported any significant distance.  It's just that the loading of resources is very well done, and those resources are teeny-tiny now, given the age of the game and the speed of modern machines.

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

So thats the next game for casuals and themepark players...........

Next plz and now plz a good sanbox mmorpg.

• The_GekkoThe_Gekko Member UncommonPosts: 28

Great feedback, to me it definitely sounds like the "Good" far outweighs the "Bad". I've been following this game and TSW as of late, and have been finding generally positive comments on both games from people who have played the betas.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

@Bill Murphy

Can you elaborate?  You say the zones are filled with stuff to find.  Is that like... I run off the track and am rewarded for exploring?  Or do you mean like ToR where "off the road" means "running straight to a datacron and running back"?

I miss running into the woods in UO just to find some random cave I never knew was there.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by Ikeda

@Bill Murphy

Can you elaborate?  You say the zones are filled with stuff to find.  Is that like... I run off the track and am rewarded for exploring?  Or do you mean like ToR where "off the road" means "running straight to a datacron and running back"?

I miss running into the woods in UO just to find some random cave I never knew was there.

There's a perfect paragraph to explain this in the preview:

I’ll end this section with one very important note: exploring is very key to Guild Wars 2.  Sick of being too handheld in recent MMOs? Don’t worry.  GW2 will give you some very basic areas to look for (provided you ask one of the game’s “scouts”, but beyond that it will be up to you to find adventure, to find people in need of a hand.  The scouts (denoted on the map by a spyglass) will give you some of the surrounding area’s major event locations, but as you tend to them you’ll undoubtedly stumble upon others like breadcrumbs leading you to locations that don’t have a label.  One such example is the Shaman Rookery in the starting zone for the Norn.  It’s a dank and dark cave, filled with extremely difficulty encounters and platforming tasks that will drive you mad as enemies and crows knock you to the base of the cave and force you to start from the beginning.  You won’t know what’s at the end of the trial, but you’ll be damned sure to keep trying to defeat the shamans and jump from platform to platform to see what prize awaits you.  Areas like this, among so many others, will make explorers’ dreams come true.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Crafting may have some surprises once people take time to delve into it, but very understandable that with just a weekend people had more interesting things to do! :)

Very, very psyched to hear just how big the game zones are. So many MMOs since WoW have had game worlds just way too small. More than 20 zones, each at least as big as The Barrens from WoW? Yes, please!

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by leojreimroc

I'm wondering why is it that only blizzard can make a truly seemless world?  For me, this was one of the most impressive parts of WoW, that you could go from one end of the world to another without zoning once.  Why is it that more games don't also do this?

It's not truly seamless, evidenced by the fact that you go to a loadscreen if you get teleported any significant distance.  It's just that the loading of resources is very well done, and those resources are teeny-tiny now, given the age of the game and the speed of modern machines.

If you're talking about wow, there's no loading screen throughout the whole of kalimdor or eastern kingdom except instances. If a game 7 years ago can do it, I really wonder what's wrong with the games now.

RIP Orc Choppa

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Thanks Bill!  I hadn't seen that article you wrote.  Thanks for elaborating.  

Simply too much going on to pay attention to everything. (in fact, I re-read the article thinking that I noobed it up and didn't read the obvious)

• RameiArashiRameiArashi Member UncommonPosts: 294

Since I've only played Guild Wars 1 I don't have any real experience at crafting, so anything will be interesting to me. All there is in GW1 is take these materials and this amount of money to armor or weapons crafter or consumable crafter and they'll give you your armor, weapon or ressurection scroll.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by arctarus

If you're talking about wow, there's no loading screen throughout the whole of kalimdor or eastern kingdom except instances. If a game 7 years ago can do it, I really wonder what's wrong with the games now.

You've never taken the train, then?  Or had a Mage teleport you?  Or taken the port to the docks at Kalimdor?

To the last question, files are bigger due to higher rez textures, etc.   

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

A fully featured MMO that is B2P without a sub...

This will truly be a sight to see...

Looks good too, I am not on the hype train yet, but as it gets closer around the time it "could" release I will be watching very very closely..

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by arctarus

You've never taken the train, then?  Or had a Mage teleport you?  Or taken the port to the docks at Kalimdor? 

Or rode any of the boats between continents.  Cleverly packaged loads are still loads.

• crewthiefcrewthief Member Posts: 235

Originally posted by Gagelish

LOL. Some people get really worked up I suppose. He said that they are 'at least as big', implying that they're probably a bit bigger. And where's this 'spin' you speak of? He listed 5 positives and 5 negatives...seems to me like he was pretty thoroughly impressed.

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Instance and zone are 2 different things Ppl should finally educate themselves.

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

I am only concerned about crafting. That's really something I need in a good MMORPG. I don't really care about crafting interface, but the fact it should really be useful - e.g. main source of items and consumables. In WoW/SWTOR the crafting is just a little extra to the endgame raiding/grinding/PvP, not really useful except for some consumables. I would love to see the theme parked  game where crafting and player economy is as important and  essential as the combat (like it was back in Ultima and is in EVE).

Teleportation? - I love that. I love to feel like the demigod in game - being able to easily teleport and move through the world like in DCUO. It really helps to explore it not vice-versa.

• crewthiefcrewthief Member Posts: 235

Originally posted by Kimmyboy

Originally posted by BillMurphy

It's not really "instanced".  It's a HUGE freaking world.  But you do have to "zone" to go from one map to the next.  

No it isn't stop pretending.

Instanced and zoned world to load up all the graphics.

Just like GW1 but slightly bigger zones.

You might as well have COD MW 3 graphics then.

So their world will be instanced, their "world vs world" will be instanced and their "traveling" will be by hopping through portals.

In a time when Blizzard includes dynamic world changing events without a loading screen in sight, you try to make us enthusiastic about ... LOADING SCREENS everywhere ???

Regression, all the way.

Who's trying to make you enthusiastic about a loading screen? LMAO, take a pill man...seriously. Most games i've played have a loading screen when transitioning zones, lol...seems a small price to play if the game plays as well as this reviewer claims it does. I've seen you post on the GW2 forums here though, so your comments really don't surprise me at all. The explanation for loading was explained...this game is far more advanced than WoW is currently. Basically, you have an 8 year old game being run on the most current hardware available...

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

Also - teleportation or/and extremly fast travel is the only thing that makes world PvP dynamic and involving. It is not funy at all to run 15 minutes to the place where the enemy was ganking your faction noobs to find the ganker is gone. In DCUO you can fly to the supposed enemy position in 1-2 minutes and kick some ass before they vanished. I'd love to see something like that in GW2.