Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The Closed Beta Preview

Comments

• XstylesXstyles Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by gilgamesh42

gonna be nice not having to deal with douchebag healers

QFT

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Believe.
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Check this video. SMOOTH WvW pvp. And very long. You can see ppl trying to build siege weapons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQCi7c0DuY

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by BillMurphy

The exploration is what really caught me off guard.  It's amazing.  Been a long time since an MMO really 1.) made me want to explore 2.) let me and 3.) rewarded me for it.  Explorers will get the most out of this game, as it doesn't hold your hand much other than to occasionally shoot you in the direction of a new event.

This is what sells it for me. Thanks!

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GrymGrym Member UncommonPosts: 301

For months now we've been given video of "game play footage" that looked absolutely fabulous.  The game play footage I've seen recently (as we get closer to launch) is not the same.  In fact, the recent closed beta footage looks more WoW-ish.  I've been eating the hype like everyone else, but if the graphics aren't as cool as some of the earlier videos that were released, this will be a huge disappointment for me. The graphics are the main reason I don't play WoW. I hope these videos are not indicative of the "painterly" feel ANet has been balyhooing for quite some time now. If they are, yet another let down in the MMO genre.

(My son speaking to his Japanese Grandmother) " Sorry Obaba, I don't speak Japanese, I only speak human."

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

FYI...

Make no bones about it; Guild Wars 2 is a theme-park MMO. Now, before you get up in arms, be absolutely sure to read this next bit. It’s absolutely positively redefining what that means. Once you’ve lived a while in this incarnation of Tyria, other games’ approaches to the MMO standards will seem completely outdated and archaic, charming at best.  This isn’t a sandbox in the traditional sense, and it’s not a theme-park in the traditional sense either.  It’s something new.  The world can be affected by you as the player, through the dynamic events system, but the changes aren’t permanent. 

This isn't anything new! Can anyone say AC? Remember when in MMOs this was the standard before WOW?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Thanks, Bill.

I remember exploration but I hardly seen any the last 10 years or so so it sounds perfect to me that they finally add it to a MMO again.

I guess I better go down to my local game store and make a preorder soon... :)

How did the story feel BTW? MMOs often either have close to zero story or in some cases, far too much and in most cases the story feels like a bunch of unemployed collage kids written it independently from eachother.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Originally posted by MumboJumbo The Exploration description is the biggest nugget of info that I had no idea about - and exactly what will make GW2 PvE-DE's workable.
    It's definitely what caught me most by surprise.  The entire world is built around exploration.  
    You don't know how happy that makes me feel, I love exploring and finally on top of everything else, we have a game that encourages and rewards you for it. Big cheesy grin at this end of the interwebs. Great article, so many positives and the biggest thing I'm feeling from it is FUN :)

Are we there yet?

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by Loke666

Thanks, Bill.

I remember exploration but I hardly seen any the last 10 years or so so it sounds perfect to me that they finally add it to a MMO again.

I guess I better go down to my local game store and make a preorder soon... :)

How did the story feel BTW? MMOs often either have close to zero story or in some cases, far too much and in most cases the story feels like a bunch of unemployed collage kids written it independently from eachother.

The story was different for each race and changed depending on your choices at the character creation.  My Norn's story for example felt a little less interesting, and more about the "spirits".  I liked it, but didn't care as much about it as I did the subterfuge and inter-faction struggles of the Charr.  The Humans were probably most interesting of all, though I only played them a bit.  Main reason: fallen people, trying desperately to not be wiped off the map.  Plus I liked that my character was a Guardian, raised on the streets with a devilish rogue as a best friend.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• opposedcrowopposedcrow Member Posts: 55

I'm really hoping ArenaNet is serious about bringing GW2 to consoles as my computer is a bit on the older side. The game looks incredible and I too cannot believe there won't be a monthly fee attached with it (I felt the same way about the first GW).

I think the dynamic events and combat are what really sold me. Combat in particular looks so much more active than most hotbar MMO's these days, even Star Wars: ToR has your character just standing still (or crouched behind a barrier) while you press buttons but from what I can see in these videos GW2's combat will force you to strafe, dodge, and reposition yourself accordingly to best use your abilities.

Getting to play as multiple races will be pretty cool too.

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

I don't think my girlfriend will let me play this game, she is starting to see it as competition to our relationship.... it's not even out yet!!! 

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

Dialogue & voice-overs seem to be limited to personal story, and it seems like most of the time when you enter those dialogues the game takes you out of the game environment and into a weird back drop situation, I'm interested in hearing a lot more about these aspects of the PvE gameplay as it goes on. From everything so far it sounds like it's a bit lacking in that area. Exploration is great and all, but I think the majority of people get bored and become too lazy to run around the game-world in MMO's to really enjoy that aspect of them in the long term, story and immersion have been severely lacking in MMO's until SW:TOR, and hopefully GW2 is able to match that, and other upcoming games with a strong focus on these things as well.

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234

sounds to me this game took the ffxi system where you explore, and need team work to progress in the game. i really love that concept. my question is what system do you need to run this. i have a great gaming pc, but my gf has a older model pc, and runs on pentium 4 hyper threading with 2 gigs of ram, and a gtx 550 ti 1gig vid card. i was actually wondering if what other players are saying is true. apparently this game allows you to play it at gw1 gfx, so older systems can handle it. could anyone verify if this is true. my gf really wants to play it with me.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by opposedcrow

I'm really hoping ArenaNet is serious about bringing GW2 to consoles as my computer is a bit on the older side. The game looks incredible and I too cannot believe there won't be a monthly fee attached with it (I felt the same way about the first GW).

I think the dynamic events and combat are what really sold me. Combat in particular looks so much more active than most hotbar MMO's these days, even Star Wars: ToR has your character just standing still (or crouched behind a barrier) while you press buttons but from what I can see in these videos GW2's combat will force you to strafe, dodge, and reposition yourself accordingly to best use your abilities.

Strain have written the code so you probably can run it on most computers. You might need to get a newer GFX card though.

Even if they decide to make GW2 for consoles that will take years. But at least you'll get "Class 4" for the 360, it is also coded by Strain.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

My few fears for this game are being replaced by satisfied hopes.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Here's a video with graphics on high. At least it looks like high. I was too dissapointed by graphics when watching some players but I heard a lot of people had performance issues and had to run the game on low.

It's from massievvely. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VKxrTaVO69Q#!

Getting to play as multiple races will be pretty cool too. dude, get her to play it with you. that is what i did with my gf, she never played mmo before, so i made a deal with her on our anniversary, which is to try out my hobby which is mmo. now she plays it with me. frustrating actually, cause atm we both playing swtor, and i re-rolled to a republic, while she is playing imp. and now, all she does is hunt me down for giggles in tatooin :(

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

to be fair, recording gameplay alone demands a lot of proccesor power, let alone recording it on high.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by opposedcrow

Strain have written the code so you probably can run it on most computers. You might need to get a newer GFX card though.

Even if they decide to make GW2 for consoles that will take years. But at least you'll get "Class 4" for the 360, it is also coded by Strain.

so define older pc, cause my gf has a pentium 4 hyper threading single core, 2 gigs of ram and a gtx 550ti 1gig. do you think she can play it?

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by WellzyC

to be fair, recording gameplay alone demands a lot of proccesor power, let alone recording it on high.

Thats true. An example that I ran into was in Rift. I can run the game on ultra and get a fluctuation of 55 to 60 fps. When I tried using software, like FRAPS,  to capture my game footage it dropped to 15 to 20 fps. I had to tune the graphics to about medium settings and barely hit 30 FPS when recording game footage.

So yes, that is probably the reason why we are seeing some lower end graghics on some GW2 videos.

However, run this video at the 720p or higher setting and the graphics shine for the type of art ArenaNet is using. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VKxrTaVO69Q

I cant wait for this game!

• EquinoxaEquinoxa Member UncommonPosts: 10

Leveling has been fun with almost every mmo...more or less. what counts for me is the endgame - and that has imo been a fail in the last three released and highly hyped mmos so far. so don't be surprised if i'm being a bit pessimistic on that account. i admit though, there is still a little spark of hope that gw2 might be the game - if the endgame content meets the expectations, however.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Equinoxa

Leveling has been fun with almost every mmo...more or less. what counts for me is the endgame - and that has imo been a fail in the last three released and highly hyped mmos so far. so don't be surprised if i'm being a bit pessimistic on that account. i admit though, there is still a little spark of hope that gw2 might be the game - if the endgame content meets the expectations, however.

You might be disappointed because there is no end game in GW2.

its kinda like eve online, no endgame lol

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

If it's like Guild Wars 1 there is a satisfying ending to the story, and what is left is fleshing out your character, unlocking all of the skills (GOTTA GET EM ALL), and unlocking more options for PvP.  Then there is competitive PvP and alt chars.  I am sure the game will have 3-4 expansions as well to make up for no sub fees that extend many systems.

Guild Wars 1 is one of those games that I played off and on, in heavy doses at times, for years.  Never got to old, but doesn't have a particular end game which is a great thing to me.  A focus on the journey!

Also farming items, and item collection has me pretty hooked similar to Diablo 2. 

You also had bonus objectives on story missions and areas where you may not have uncovered the map.  If you want to try to complete your character it could take ages.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

I have to admit this is the first in a long time of articles on this site I have read from start to finish. I too am drooling for more of  this game! I loved GW1 and enjoyed the many missions in that game. Just watching the limited video you gave made me so excited I actually had goose bumps! Thanks for the first of many articles for this game. I enjoyed every bit of it. I have to say this will be one game I WILL buy at launch and not regret.