Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

90% will play Charr.

1235»

Comments

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

Originally posted by Zeno89

I won't even be making one Charr. I think they look really awful.

Xenophobe. :P

• Zeref.DyverZeref.Dyver Member Posts: 270

Not even close. I like many non human races. Certainly not Charr though, lol

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

@Thrage

The reason why someone would want to experience what it is to be a non-human form of life is simple, but you have to not be xenophobic. It's that simple. In fact, it might even take the mind of a xenophile to understand. Or at least someone with the tiniest modicum of creaitvity and imagination.

Ask yourself a question like: "What would it be like to have words for smells like we do for colours and sounds?"

And: "What if you could smell history?"

Dogs can actually smell brains. There have been dogs trained to smell certain biochemical coctails to tell if a person is on drugs or not, and that's just by the brain alone. What if you could smell like that? A human will never be able to smell like that, and that's just hte tip of the iceberg. Dealing with the charr specifically, you have hearing that can hear two specific ranges, but not the one we hear. The charr are sensitive to high pitch ranges (like dogs) and low pitch ranges (like elephants) but not the middle range that we're used to.

Now what would it be like to have that? What about horns? How would you adorn them? How would you culturally separate a good looking set of horns from a bad set? How would you know what to be jealous of? How would you know whether you could be proud of your own?

With something like the charr, you're playing something distinctly non-human, and this opens up all sorts of roleplay options. Not just in typing, but in the mind as well. It feels different than playing a human, intrinsically different. I mean, I'm not of the accountant mindset, so "WAHEY, I CAN SWING A SWORD!" isn't enough to do it for me. My imagination craves more than that. It needs more. I spend a period of time writing all day just because I have so much shit going around in my head that I have to get down before I forget it.

The charr aren't meant for you, clearly.

The charr are for us imagineers! The xenophiles. The people who actually give a damn about the sort of things that I do.

---

Really, if you can't ask yourself questions like that then you've lost your sense of wonder. You've become dead inside, and nothing more than a husk, existing but really not taking in the reality around you and all the incredible stuff that we and just nature in general comes up with.

And that's really sad.

I'm sorry, but I'd have to be much more boring than I am to just want to play a human.

Anyone who's unable to ask themselves questions like these, anyone who's allowed themselves to become such a fossil... well, all I can say is that they need more Calvin & Hobbes in their life.

Why have people become so dull? Whatever happened to wonder...

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

Originally posted by Bunks

this was based on 8820 people polled so far on Guru

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/gw2census-com-character-pie-charts-t21267.html

im glad asura and sylvari are least popular.

why i wont be choosing charr? because im still holding that grudge since guild wars 1 :p

i associate them with that trashed ascalon lands that were just plain annoying.

• JazKW347JazKW347 Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser
    @Thrage
    The reason why someone would want to experience what it is to be a non-human form of life is simple, but you have to not be xenophobic. It's that simple. In fact, it might even take the mind of a xenophile to understand. Or at least someone with the tiniest modicum of creaitvity and imagination.
    Ask yourself a question like: "What would it be like to have words for smells like we do for colours and sounds?"
    Dogs can actually smell brains. There have been dogs trained to smell certain biochemical coctails to tell if a person is on drugs or not, and that's just by the brain alone. What if you could smell like that? A human will never be able to smell like that, and that's just hte tip of the iceberg. Dealing with the charr specifically, you have hearing that can hear two specific ranges, but not the one we hear. The charr are sensitive to high pitch ranges (like dogs) and low pitch ranges (like elephants) but not the middle range that we're used to.
    Now what would it be like to have that? What about horns? How would you adorn them? How would you culturally separate a good looking set of horns from a bad set? How would you know what to be jealous of? How would you know whether you could be proud of your own?
    With something like the charr, you're playing something distinctly non-human, and this opens up all sorts of roleplay options. Not just in typing, but in the mind as well. It feels different than playing a human, intrinsically different. I mean, I'm not of the accountant mindset, so "WAHEY, I CAN SWING A SWORD!" isn't enough to do it for me. My imagination craves more than that. It needs more. I spend a period of time writing all day just because I have so much shit going around in my head that I have to get down before I forget it.
    The charr are for us imagineers! The xenophiles. The people who actually give a damn about the sort of things that I do.
    ---
    Really, if you can't ask yourself questions like that then you've lost your sense of wonder. You've become dead inside, and nothing more than a husk, existing but really not taking in the reality around you and all the incredible stuff that we and just nature in general comes up with.
    And that's really sad.
    I'm sorry, but I'd have to be much more boring than I am to just want to play a human.
    Anyone who's unable to ask themselves questions like these, anyone who's allowed themselves to become such a fossil... well, all I can say is that they need more Calvin & Hobbes in their life.

Your argument is misled my friend. I'm not xenophobic, nor am I a xenophile. The reason I chose not to make a Charr is the simple fact that the story did not appeal to me as much as an Asura or a human did, not because I'm afraid of it. By using the term xenophobic you are implying that people are afraid of some creature or race. That is clearly not the reason they don't pick a certain race in a game, it's for multiple other and diverse reasons. before you accuse people of being something you need to check your sources and use of vocabulary.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Originally posted by Zy347

@Thrage

---

And that's really sad.

Your argument is misled my friend. I'm not xenophobic, nor am I a xenophile. The reason I chose not to make a Charr is the simple fact that the story did not appeal to me as much as an Asura or a human did, not because I'm afraid of it. By using the term xenophobic you are implying that people are afraid of some creature or race. That is clearly not the reason they don't pick a certain race in a game, it's for multiple other and diverse reasons. before you accuse people of being something you need to check your sources and use of vocabulary.

Exactly.  Sorry, Dream, but that was an incredibly close-minded and unimaginative attempt at trying to empathize with and understand those who do not share your perspective.  

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by Entropy14

Im not so sure about this, seems for some reason a lot of people like to just be human, also I can see a lot of people who are more into the elf thing going sylvari , and can see some PVP people going with Asura thinking they will be harder to target since they are the smallerst race.

Lol, wow man you hit the nail on the head. I was 100% thinking my thief will be Asura.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

No plans on playing Charr for me. :) Norn Ranger FTW! :)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I rather play a charr before asura, but it is really my 4th choice.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Yeah Charr will probably be the last toon I play simply because I do not like the on-all-fours running thing they do.

And playing WoW horde side for so many years has made me biased against hunchback toons like the Charr.

I prefer toons with posture!

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Yeah I'll be having a charr for my 1st Charr.

Charr Engineer and a Sylvari but not sure what proffesion yet.  Either a Necro or Ranger.  Prolly have one of each gender before doing any of the other races.  Was big on Norn but kinda lost my taste for em but might do a Norn Warrior.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Well ArenaNet promoted the hell out of the Charr and Human areas because it is what they wanted.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

Charr Engineer

Sylvari Ranger or Elementalist

Human undecided, but maybe a 2nd Engineer

Norn undecided

Asura Elementalist, Mesmer or Necromancer or another Engineer

I'll be one of each race ;P Charr and Human will probably be my two main characters. And Engineers sound amazing, so I'll probably have more than one. I've always liked turret based classes. Maybe have multiple of a race but a different class. Will depend on the character limit per account.

I LOVE the Human and Charr cities. Plus, I always wanted to play a Charr since Guild Wars. Sylvari look like a very pretty race with a land to match. Norn because I like the Nordic style. And, Asura because they are rather interesting and don't know much about them. Their cube city looks cool, too.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

I hereby eat crow... they have updated the Charr and they look AMAZING.. I may not play Charr main but I will add it to my top choices... holy cow. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd_O6wh-rYk

• ThrageThrage Member Posts: 200

@Thrage

---

And that's really sad.

Uhh ...

Sure.  That's a great ... long-winded ... nonsensical grasp at a response.  Meanwhile in reality:

I don't think I ever said anything about not understanding why someone would want to play a Charr.  I'm sure there's plenty of beastrace-lovers who want to.  I'm sure there's plenty of normal people who want to play an intimidating-looking character.  I'm sure there's fans of the Charr "lore" that are all over that.  And, certainly, there will be the occasional cat-lover who squeals in delight when she learns sleeping Charr purr.  What the Charr are not, is exclusive to people like you.

What makes no sense to me is when a person opts out of playing a human simply because they "are already a human."  I'm already a dude, does that mean I should only play female characters?  Limiting yourself only stifles roleplay.  I should be able to come up with any sentient being I like within the confines of GW2 lore and be able to pull it off if I wanna' call myself a roleplayer.

After that response, however, my guess is that you're just a furry.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Who knows. I'll definitely have an alt of every race but my two mains (and main alt) will all be humans. Yes, I'm stupidly set in my ways. :|

On a related note, The Black Citadel is just amazing. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.