Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The Closed Beta Preview

Comments

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Originally posted by cptkloss

Hehe... so the end-game is "play just for the fun of it"? this concept has always failed ALWAYS. If there is no long term character development in any form, there's no incentive to play.

It's exciting to see that people who are completely disinterested in the game create an account just to comment on it. That's how powerful GW2 will be.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

You guys overhyped every single mmorpg in the last years? Remember the mmorpg reviews of SWTOR? Yes i do i dont beleave anything of any overhyped game anymre.

Get REady for the next overhyped mmorpg that gonna fail after 2-3 months? Whats next hype wave after that.

• cptklosscptkloss Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Leucent

Hehe... so the end-game is "play just for the fun of it"? this concept has always failed ALWAYS. If there is no long term character development in any form, there's no incentive to play.

Not even talking about everything outside WvW, you might want to see DAOC for that. It at it s time was a very successful MMO, based on end game RvR alone. I know I played it just for the fun of it.

never played DAOC but from what i read it had quite an extensive alternative advancment options , realm points and such... from this preview i'm sensing there's like...nothing? (except for that "fun" thing) - just saying, if there's nothing tangible to gain for your effort, it's not going to work

Originally posted by Magnetia

It's exciting to see that people who are completely disinterested in the game create an account just to comment on it. That's how powerful GW2 will be.

i'm interested, just not in  this portal... ever looking for that MMO that will keep me playing for years... i may be cynical..but all the recent failed attempts (RIFT, SWTOR) are not encouraging

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Great read! I have a question murphy. What were the graphics options? Did you play at max settings and how did it run on your computer?

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by thedarkess

Great read! I have a question murphy. What were the graphics options? Did you play at max settings and how did it run on your computer?

This. I've heard about some people having serious performance issues.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by Methos12

One thing no one mentioned - how's the loot progression in those first 20 levels? Does it follow typical MMO approach or is it closer to GW1? Basically, how much of "gear stats won't be as important " is actually true in low levels?

The previews on GameSpot mentioned the loot a little. They basically said they were surprised how satisfied they are with it and that finding new weapons has the added bonus of having new and different skills attached to them, which was a great thing. Dual wielding a pistol and a dagger with a thief, for example, opens up new skill combinations and more flexibilty based on what you want to be doing... such as being able to do blinding shots along with dagger attacks afterwards. So it's not just about the stats on the equipment.. it's about the skills on them as well.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Not even talking about everything outside WvW, you might want to see DAOC for that. It at it s time was a very successful MMO, based on end game RvR alone. I know I played it just for the fun of it.

never played DAOC but from what i read it had quite an extensive alternative advancment options , realm points and such... from this preview i'm sensing there's like...nothing? (except for that "fun" thing) - just saying, if there's nothing tangible to gain for your effort, it's not going to work

Thats the I need rewards crowd that alot of games brought in. If you haven t played DAOC you wouldn t understand the realm/server pride. It was almost everything back in the day. If GW2 can bring even 50% of that back it will be a large success.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by thedarkess

It's funny, because at first I had it set on "best performance" by default.  It looked fine to me.  I played most of the weekend this way at a smooth 80FPS.  But then I realized I could tweak it a lot (every option available, including high res textures, AA, etc.).  I bumped it up to the best possible looks-wise.  Ended up still hovering between 40/60 FPS.  Mind you, I have an i5 Sandybridge, 16GB of RAM on Win7 64x, and an nVidia 460gt.  Nothing to scoff at.  My guess is that most people experiencing performance issues were in largely crowded areas of WvW.  Myself? I didn't really ever dip below 40FPS.  I loved it.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

The Exploration description is the biggest nugget of info that I had no idea about - and exactly what will make GW2 PvE-DE's workable.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

When this game is released I'm going to explode with the fury of a supernova.

So no, none of you will be able to experience it after that.

Thats the I need rewards crowd that alot of games brought in. If you haven t played DAOC you wouldn t understand the realm/server pride. It was almost everything back in the day. If GW2 can bring even 50% of that back it will be a large success.

I like "server pride" idea - Server vs server vs server open world PvP is an excellent concept that resolves a lot of issues associated with balancin, content production ect... - i'm not too hot about the ladder system (odds are you're not going to face same enemies very often - fighting people you know adds to the incentives to play the game). Again... i hope there's some king of "alternative" development system in the end-game...but when i look at game core design there may be no place for it... I'll certainly purchase the box and try it tho.

• LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259
    I dunno... I can't get excited for this game, I think I'm just burnt out on the fantasy genre. Looks like it's going to be fantastic but it's not for me. I wish nothing but the best to ANet and everyone looking forward to this but I'm going back to waiting for The Secret World.

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• WreckoniingWreckoniing Member UncommonPosts: 279

id really like a benchmark right now to see if my rig is up to speed.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

The Exploration description is the biggest nugget of info that I had no idea about - and exactly what will make GW2 PvE-DE's workable.

It's definitely what caught me most by surprise.  The entire world is built around exploration.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

IGN have PvP vidoes up in there own preview just now, not that the guy playing is very impressive but it does look like a lot of fun.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Son of a b!tch it all sounds so perfect...

Trying to not let myself get too excited... it will not live up to my expectations.... it will not live up to my expectations...

Then I read all the previews here, at Massively, and other places on the net.

Ya'll are making it REALLY hard for me to remain pessimistic.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by BadSpock

Trying to not let myself get too excited... it will not live up to my expectations.... it will not live up to my expectations...

Don't worry, you've still got performance issues bugging a few members of the press.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Can it really be true, is this going to be the greatestest MMO since SWTOR?
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by BadSpock

Don't worry, you've still got performance issues bugging a few members of the press.

Think they'll tell the players it's their rigs not their engine?

Lawls.

I hope my rig can handle this game.. but I never had performance issues in TOR either.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

I'm a disgruntled old EQ player and I don't believe a word of that article. But i'd want to :)

• JazKW347JazKW347 Member Posts: 54

Now I want to play this gmae even more . Cannot wait, and I hope I can get the $1200 for the new parts for my rig.

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    This game is the one.
  • InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

The hype has grown too large now. Let's just hope that the game is still fun to play after 2 months of playing it and that there are no major bugs or performance issues in the live version. 

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Otomox

You guys overhyped every single mmorpg in the last years? Remember the mmorpg reviews of SWTOR? Yes i do i dont beleave anything of any overhyped game anymre.

Get REady for the next overhyped mmorpg that gonna fail after 2-3 months? Whats next hype wave after that.

You could do something constructive like view the actual in-game footage to see what is really being offered, rather than take someone else's word for it.  Works for me.  I managed to steer clear of a few over-hyped disasters just by believing my own eyes instead of someone else's words.

If after that, you don't see why so many people are "buying the hype", that's certainly your prerogative.  The rest of us are quite happy with how closely the walking matches the talking.