Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I bid you all, farewell

face30face30 Member UncommonPosts: 193

Hey folks,

I have been a long time MMO player, actually since about 1999, and a Lurker of this community since about 2003, member since 2004. I have finally strung out my silly addiction to its max. I have the games themselves to thank, as they changed, I refused to change with them I guess. I came into this genre , when it was a niche community, when games were more than just a console game with no pay off. Community , reputation , playing as a team used to mean something. Games are like my childrens sports now, you get a trophy for merely showing up. Nothing is earned. I know I'm gong to get flamed for the "earned" , but that was the part of the genre I loved. MMO's changed and I didn't.

I guess I could rant forever, I spent alot of good years with a great guild, Crimsonwind.  They have all moved on from gaming over the years, since that "massive" game changed the genre. Now I finally follow. Good luck and best wishes to all my fellow MMO players, I hope mmo's continue to entertain you in the manner you enjoy.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Goodbye and good luck, but you may well be leaving right on the cusp of the release of several new titles that could bring some new life into the genre.

Might want to keep and eye here now and then just to see if they manage to deliver somehow on their promises.

(hey, it has to happen someday.) image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

I agree with you completely.

In my mind the community is the most important aspect of the MMORPG genre.. Basically that old phrase "You can't take it with you" applies to MMO's as well. The more you had to work together with people the stronger the bond with them, the stronger the bond the deeper the feeling, if that bond carries to outside of the game then you actually take something from the game with you when you quit.

I remember more player names & keep in touch with more players from my 1997 in UO through to 2004 in EQ than i did in any MMO after that (although Vanguard was a small rekindling of that feeling). If you are grinding "gauntlets" (i refuse to call instanced pve area's in newer MMOs dungeons because they really arent) and don't even remember the names of the people you were randomly grouped with 15 minutes ago and never said a word to you,  whats the point? Dungeons in UO and EQ were social, some might call it grinding but is it any different than running the same instance over and over and over with a random group of people?

My old guild (formed in UO in 1997) has alot of members who still keep in touch. We might not be active in a game but the bond is still there..... I honestly don't see AAA MMO in the near future in which i could subscribe to for long term and call it a home (only one might be EQ Next but not enough info on which direction they are taking). So atm I consider myself semi-retired from gaming (the urge is still there and so is the the faintest hope but it's disheartening to see the way the genre has gone)

Long live my guild  "Magus Imperialis Magicus"

The Sleeper "Kerafyrm" may be slain but I truely beleive our guild shall awaken again...

• VyronVyron Member Posts: 55

Good Luck to you.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Kyleran

Goodbye and good luck, but you may well be leaving right on the cusp of the release of several new titles that could bring some new life into the genre.

hehe aren't we always though? ;)

But yeah, OP, I understand where your coming from a lot of us feel the same in a lot of ways.

It's a shame though that you have been a lurker all this time and only break cover to tell us bye bye.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by OberanMiM

In my mind the community is the most important aspect of the MMORPG genre.

Agreed.

I have always said people come for the game, but stay for the people.

Mot Devs lost sight of that a long time ago.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Gewdbai. :p

And good luck ofcourse.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Understood, Face.

For any number of reasons, we can fall out of fandom for any particular activity or hobby.  And while playing MMO's isn't as nonproductive as watching hours of TV, it's not that far off.  If you can get away from it to do something that's ultimately more healthy and productive, I'd call that a pretty good thing.

May the next thing you enjoy treat you well.

Farewell!

• face30face30 Member UncommonPosts: 193

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by OberanMiM

In my mind the community is the most important aspect of the MMORPG genre.

Agreed.

I have always said people come for the game, but stay for the people.

Mot Devs lost sight of that a long time ago.

In both posts, perfectly described how I felt/feel about mmo's.

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

I'lll see what 2013 brings, but until then, i'm going to go back to my creative side and learn new programming languages, software,etc. I've actually given up on games, haven't bought one for several months...or interactive movies as they should be called.

• face30face30 Member UncommonPosts: 193

Time to delete this account.

Nice to see some old and very familiar names in this thread.

Best wishes to you all in whatever you do.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Best wishes, do check back once in a while though, who knows what the future holds...

RIP Orc Choppa

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Best of luck.  I have found those solid community experiences in things outside of MMO's quite often.  Sadly, they are almost non existant in most MMO's today.  Hoping the Secret World and World of Darkness both help to take us in the right direction.  World of Darkness especially being so heavily focused on the social aspect.

Neverwinter Nights persistant mod community has been a solid long running haven for this.  Hopefully the new game from Cryptic goes in the right direction, but I have mostly doubts. 

Anyway good luck if you check this post again.  I am like you, but I have basically not been playing MMO's for the last 3 or 4 years besides jumping in for launch and being dissapointed a month or two later...

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Originally posted by Deleted User

Time to delete this account.

Nice to see some old and very familiar names in this thread.

Best wishes to you all in whatever you do.

He will be back under a dif name. No one gets out of mmos for good.... no one, even with all the crap we had been fed as of the last few years.

I think GW2 will even suck with all it's dev tools they think the players would like only for it to be non sociable just like all others.

The Sceret World may have a chance, but prob not !

So in closing no one can quit, just more disipointments !!!!

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I agree with the OP.

I'm an old MMO gamer, too. I've been PC gaming since Sierra's Hero's Quest / Quest for Glory series. Even those old PC games have more depth and complexity than most modern MMORPGs.

The games of today feel "plastic" - cheap plastic action figure molds that cost a fortune. The "Massive" has been removed from the genre and replaced with linear worlds and progression paths. Moreover, the success of the Battleground's grind-for-reward has completely destroyed player vs. player.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

not deleting my account here but with my cancellation of swtor it brings to an end  for now at least my time with any mmopg seriously.

i will dabble in some free shards or free mmo for the sake of killing an hour here or there when totally bored but thats it .

I agree that what killed mmo is the total lack of interaction.The worlds nowadays all look dead and plastic and the community is non existant.

problem is when they made mmo easy they also killed the feel of it totally.

What good is it to me that wow has 10m customers when i stand like a statue in a city waiting for some random queue to pop and instantly teleport me to a dungeon with few others who don't alter a word or the occasional hello and thats it.

old mmo like eq required you to interact to the fulliest ,heck even getting to your dungeon you needed to know the landscape well and what elite creatures walks where .old eq and uo had no AH to dump your wears you had to advertise it ,make deals and bargain it .

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Can I have your stuff?

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Can I have your stuff?

Considering the fact that every item that one holds is from a no-trade / soulbound linear quest grind, I don't think that you can have his stuff.

This discussion has been closed.