Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: PVP and World vs. World Preview

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

ArenaNet and the Guild Wars 2 team are ready to let loose the hounds as coverage of this past weekend's limited closed beta event goes live! In this feature, we take a look at the awesomeness that Guild Wars 2 PvP is slated to be. See what you think, then leave us a comment or two!

As early as level two I was able to take my Ranger out to fight in the press demo. My character was transported to “The Mists” which is the PvP holding area. From the Mists you can enter either instanced or world PvP zones. The Mists are amazing and cool and set up as a great port to several areas. If you want to go and meet your friends at low level in another starting zone you can use the Mists to get there. A quick click on the PvP tab and you are transported over.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Guild Wars 2: PvP and World vs World Preview.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• ChuvarHramaChuvarHrama Member UncommonPosts: 88

I expected a little more WvWvW gameplay...

Edit: and by little i mean much much much more

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

Originally posted by ChuvarHrama

I expected a little more WvWvW gameplay...

Edit: and by little i mean much much much more

i second this  :p

was hoping for some 20vs20 action or something :), but still it was a positive post, so im all cool ^^

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

What is the end goal of the 2 week cycle?  Is it whoever holds the most at the end of the 2 weeks wins something?  What do you win?  Honor?

Is it some points that tally up over the 2 weeks?  Must know MOAR.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by ProfRed

What is the end goal of the 2 week cycle?  Is it whoever holds the most at the end of the 2 weeks wins something?  What do you win?  Honor?

Yes points tally up over the course of the two week period and you gain world bonuses and some other stuff which I'm not sure what it is but for winning WvW bonuses for your server is the main prize.

This is not a game.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by ProfRed

It is a 2 week point tally, but other then that i know nothing :) Tell us more I agree!!

• DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170

Yeah, this video doesn't show much, so I'm really, really looking forward for more info.

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

oh cmon show us more :p

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

Hi Guys, 

I wish I had more to show. Some of the fights happened late at night and because our enemies were playing in Europe it was a little tougher to get big fights going. I know several epic battles did happen throughout the weekend. 

I can only imagine what this will be like when the servers have a health population. 

The system was freaking amazing. 

I will be on later with more information. Feel free to ask specific questions and I will do my best to answer them. 

:p 
  • ZodanZodan Member Posts: 564

Thanks! Great read. Can't wait to get rid of swtor! :)

Pvp is the way to go.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

I just saw a 18 min vid about WvWvW, It looks exactly like warhammer, I mean like the old days of war, wich is good and bad,  we will find a lot of Daoc and War veterans playing this game, but the bad thing about this is that we will find the same problems of ¨warhammer´s old days RvR¨,  the war vets know what i mean. 

• MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427

Hello Garrett, thanks for your impressions.

1. Will there be considerable PvP gear grind to be competitive because in general if you start lately in a mmo or if you start pvp latevly you are butchered untill you get decent PvP gear?

2. Is there any PvP specific gear or PvE gear will do in PvP fights too?

• AshanorAshanor Member UncommonPosts: 109

Great article. I was hoping for more footage but I understand it was probably hard to record with the client not being fully optimized etc.

• AshanorAshanor Member UncommonPosts: 109

@hikaru77 - I don't think we are going to experience the problems WAR had here. It is a similar system but a completely new game. They have also went out of their way to fix a lot of the problems with RvR.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

I love good maps <3 :The WvWvW map looks awesome!! The Mists add a lot as does the artistic style, as does the features variety and distribution. Maps have to be v well designed/entropic as well as the symmetry of the 3 Home Areas. Looking good so far. image

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

With all the WvWvW going on, I'm not going to have time for the PvE side of the game.  Going by what I have seen so far, I am STOKED right up for GW2 now.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

So you've have played 2 days and that's all the footage you can show us?

Well, at least I like the video describing the WvW map. Its bigger than I thought :)

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

This image

is just full of win.

This is not a game.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

This is the best vid i have found so far,it's  nearly non lag and full on..45 mins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQCi7c0DuY

• WholdarWholdar Member Posts: 1

I just hope they will not do the mistake and take the PvP-focus away, and add too much PvE-stuff. Seen that before...

• DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170

Nice vid, Sylvarii, watching it right now. As for the videos, lots of people are uploading, so I'm not worried about not seeing enough WvW.

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

Well - I love that - hope the leveling won't take too long, since the equalising HP in PvP means nothing - the abilities and endgame gear is more important. Well - I hope the gear won't be as important in GW2 as it is in WoW and clones.

1. Will there be considerable PvP gear grind to be competitive because in general if you start lately in a mmo or if you start pvp latevly you are butchered untill you get decent PvP gear?

2. Is there any PvP specific gear or PvE gear will do in PvP fights too?

1. Yes there is gear. 

2. To me it seemed like PvP was more about fighting than about gear. With only a few days to play it is harder to tell how the epic gears will work in PvP.  

In regards to the PvP focus. A lot of the GW2 devs are old school fans of DAOC. I seriously doubt they will lose focus on PvP in the game. 

This is a very big drive for the game and the devs LOVE the WvW design. They were playing in it all weekend/. Combining PvP with Personal Story and a living breathing quest system, honestly I could not play enough. I am going through withdrawl today...

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by garrett

In regards to the PvP focus. A lot of the GW2 devs are old school fans of DAOC. I seriously doubt they will lose focus on PvP in the game. 

This is a very big drive for the game and the devs LOVE the WvW design. They were playing in it all weekend/. Combining PvP with Personal Story and a living breathing quest system, honestly I could not play enough. I am going through withdrawl today...

Based on your play time - how "ready for release" is GW2?

I mean, the big rumor is closed + open beta March/April and launch in May.

Do you believe another 2-3 months is enough to get the game in a launch ready state, again based on your play experience this past weekend?

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Garrett is there any mention of what a server gets for winning a 2 week period?  Any information on the transition for each 2 week period?

Just curious, thakns!