Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The Closed Beta Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet and the Guild Wars 2 team are ready to let loose the hounds as coverage of this past weekend's limited closed beta event goes live! In our first feature, we give a general overview and our thoughts about Guild Wars 2 in a must-read editorial for all. Read on and then let us know what you think in the comments.

Have you ever wanted something so bad, maybe in your youth, that you felt like it would never arrive? It would never happen? I remember when I wanted Ocarina of Time for Christmas. That was the longest month’s wait of my short life. Well, that’s what the next several months leading up to GW2’s launch are going to feel like for me. I may have more time in the beta if I’m lucky, but now all I want is for the game to come out for my characters to be real. And more than that, I want all of you to see just what makes this game so special with your own eyes.

Read more Bill Murphy's Guild Wars 2: The Closed Beta Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

xcly as predicted on reviews and showcased this will change mmo's and steam roll the old ones!

looking forward for GW2!

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

gonna be nice not having to deal with douchebag healers

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

the video is very unimpressive, the combat looks fun, but there is too much going on, on the screen to really see what you are doing, with too many spell animations and fire. also I dunno if it was his computer settings, but the graphics look so very dated, like hardly better than GW1. I dont foresee this crushing the old MMO ways, it will however be a wonderful successor to the Original GW, and continue to be a niche game that those who played the first enjoy.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

Great stuff ! :) !!

im excited for this ... very much0s !

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by Saryhl

the video is very unimpressive, the combat looks fun, but there is too much going on, on the screen to really see what you are doing, with too many spell animations and fire. also I dunno if it was his computer settings, but the graphics look so very dated, like hardly better than GW1. I dont foresee this crushing the old MMO ways, it will however be a wonderful successor to the Original GW, and continue to be a niche game that those who played the first enjoy.

The pains of lowering settings to record with FRAPs and the toning down of video through rendering.  You'll just have to see it for yourself eventually.  Because it's FAR from being dated visually.  

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

That facial hair in Norn CC video... I must have it. Looks great.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398

This game honestly looks too good to be true. It can't really be that good, can it?

• bladedancerbladedancer Member UncommonPosts: 40

I can't wait!

Peter Griffin: you know those germans, if you dont join the party, they?ll come get ya

Originally posted by vtravi

This game honestly looks too good to be true. It can't really be that good, can it?

I would said the same thing before this weekend.  While we only had the first 20 levels and one level 30 dungeon to explore, we also had WvW, competitive PVP, and more.  In all, the more I played it, the more my jaw dropped.  There's a LOT to love here, and the Dynamic Events system pretty much revolutionizes tradtional hub-based questing by well... doing away with it.  That could have been the game's only innovation and I'd have been happy.  But there's something new around every corner that makes you go: "Duh! Why didn't other games do this!?"

EDIT: Our access is also over for now, and it makes me very very sad.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by vtravi

dont believe the hype...

One thing no one mentioned - how's the loot progression in those first 20 levels? Does it follow typical MMO approach or is it closer to GW1? Basically, how much of "gear stats won't be as important " is actually true in low levels?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

Based on previous recommendations and reviews I should pass the "buy this game you would not regret it" but I feel that this time, maybe, just maybe...  you are right.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

The game all around lloks great. The one thing though, I saw some brief vids of the WvW areas, WOW, I can t wait for the battles there. This game looks amazing. Between this and D3 I ll be very busy.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

I hope you guys can provide us with more info about PVP next time. Thats is the only thing i am really excited for. I loved PVP in GW1 and i am looking forward to more enjoyment in GW2.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Looks like you enjoyed it a bit haha!  You know I really love the painted style of their site, char creation, etc.  So stylized it alone attracts me into the game. 

The one and most important thing I took from your write up is the exploring and wandering around the world.  I remember in Guild Wars 1 I found myself doing this for hours early on.  I really am excited about this aspect.  

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Not bad, not bad at all, however I hope GW2 is the fantasy mmo its hyped up to be.

Originally posted by Methos12

One thing no one mentioned - how's the loot progression in those first 20 levels? Does it follow typical MMO approach or is it closer to GW1? Basically, how much of "gear stats won't be as important " is actually true in low levels?

It's very much not important.  From what I could tell gear = armor and damage mitigation.  You get some upgrades, but it's every 5-10 levels really.  There are some items that will have stat bonuses, but they're minor compared to what you'll get from Traits later on.

Even when you're leveled to 80 in PVP, you have a chance, for though while others have gear that may be better than yours, it's not really the gear that gives them the advantage, but the traits, and the skills they have access to.

In short: this isn't a gear-hounds game.  It's there, it all looks cool and you can transmute items so that you can have one's stats with another's looks, but really... it's about how you build and play your character more than anything.

My Review Manifesto

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

I hope you guys can provide us with more info about PVP next time. Thats is the only thing i am really excited for. I loved PVP in GW1 and i am looking forward to more enjoyment in GW2.

See this? 

There will be more to come.  :)

My Review Manifesto

Originally posted by ProfRed

Looks like you enjoyed it a bit haha!  You know I really love the painted style of their site, char creation, etc.  So stylized it alone attracts me into the game. 

The one and most important thing I took from your write up is the exploring and wandering around the world.  I remember in Guild Wars 1 I found myself doing this for hours early on.  I really am excited about this aspect.  

The exploration is what really caught me off guard.  It's amazing.  Been a long time since an MMO really 1.) made me want to explore 2.) let me and 3.) rewarded me for it.  Explorers will get the most out of this game, as it doesn't hold your hand much other than to occasionally shoot you in the direction of a new event.

My Review Manifesto

Originally posted by BillMurphy

It's very much not important.  From what I could tell gear = armor and damage mitigation.  You get some upgrades, but it's every 5-10 levels really.  There are some items that will have stat bonuses, but they're minor compared to what you'll get from Traits later on.

Even when you're leveled to 80 in PVP, you have a chance, for though while others have gear that may be better than yours, it's not really the gear that gives them the advantage, but the traits, and the skills they have access to.

In short: this isn't a gear-hounds game.  It's there, it all looks cool and you can transmute items so that you can have one's stats with another's looks, but really... it's about how you build and play your character more than anything.

Thank god. Question, are traits level based? AA type thing, need to read up more I see, but hey if you can answer it then great.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

See this? 

There will be more to come.  :)

Thank you, i missed that one. And yes lookign forward to more info;)

Originally posted by ProfRed

The exploration is what really caught me off guard.  It's amazing.  Been a long time since an MMO really 1.) made me want to explore 2.) let me and 3.) rewarded me for it.  Explorers will get the most out of this game, as it doesn't hold your hand much other than to occasionally shoot you in the direction of a new event.

My wife and I love exploring so this is good news.

Excellent, thanks for answering. One more thing that interests me are those character vocalizations we heard in the videos so far. How frequent were they and could you adjust their rate of occurrence under options or somewhere? Were they distracting in practice?
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Man, I woke up this morning like a kid on Christmas just because I knew I would see more info about this game!  

• sharpshadesharpshade Member UncommonPosts: 58

Dynamic events obviously encourages large groups, I wonder how that works in terms of kill stealing, loot and exp. One thing I've always dreaded about open world mmo's is when some random jerk comes by and finishes off your enemy or runs off with your loot and exp.

I also wonder how solo'able the game will be. I like a good combination of grouping and then having the ability to do my own thing without having to LFG. I'm super excited about GW2 and can't wait!!