Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The Good & Bad of Guild Wars 2

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet and the Guild Wars 2 team are ready to let loose the hounds as coverage of this past weekend's limited closed beta event goes live! In The List today, we take a look at both the awesome and the not-so-awesome things we discovered about Guild Wars 2. See what you think and then weigh in with your thoughts.

After copious hours spent this past weekend in Guild Wars 2’s first closed beta event, we’ve finally recovered from our ArenaNet induced hangovers and wiped the drool from our desks long enough to put together a list of the goods and bads of the closed beta of GW2. This list isn’t final in any way shape or form, as of course each could change and go in the opposite direction by the time the game launches. But in any case, let’s just dive in shall we?

Read more of Bill Murphy's The List: The Good & Bad of Guild Wars 2.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Good to see that none of the bads are really BAD. Except crafting, but I guess that's one area we knew for a long time they wouldn't be doing any major changes. It's crafting as usual.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

To be fair, I haven't been able to delve much into it.  But at least the system seems ripe to make people work together and form an economy.  It's honestly though, the least interesting part of the beta for me.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I'm envious of you guys :) GW2, gonna love it...

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

So crafting and non seamless and instanced world are the two bads right now after beta. fair enough. I would sitll like to try the game and see it for myself though.  I can ignore these two bads if rest of the game is awesome. I was never the one to make fuss about instanced zones anyways.

However, it would be interesting to see how those who hated SWTOR' instanced and walled  in world would be ok with GW2..because well it is GW2.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

been saying since I watched this game evolve, not very happy with the crafting so far.

Well everything has to have something wrong.

But as MikeB said at the end of his BFF, no sub for a game that is this ridiculously polished, goes a long way to overlook a few issues.

It's not really "instanced".  It's a HUGE freaking world.  But you do have to "zone" to go from one map to the next.  

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Thanks guys for being this pragmatic !

Now, can we say "mastodon confirmed" ? 

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Hmmm.... zones again .... how big is each zone? Roughly? Barrens size?

RIP Orc Choppa

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Very few legit negatives and I see a lot of carry over from GW 1 in here.  Teleporting was something I was severely against.  I was a huge fan of FFXI with long travel times, 15 minute airship rides with waits, etc.

Gulid Wars 1 was the first game that made teleporting seem alright to me.  The way the game is made it is almost a must, but it is immersion breaking.  I enjoyed taking one story char from point A through the end of the game without hardly ever teleporting, but this immersion breaker especially rang true when I came back to the game after a long hiatus.  I felt very disconnected from the world.

If it is the strongest negative of the game then this will likely be a beast of a game and should allow ArenaNet to put Diablo in its place. 

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

It sounds very promising; even many of the negatives are pluses in my book.  Doesn't sound like the crafting system will make me happy, but I'm fine with the teleporting, and ya GOTTA hit a loadscreen sometime.

If they do OB so I can check it out, and it's as described, I'll definitely be getting this game.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

crafting in guild wars 2 is almost like Skyrim's alchemy. You put random igridients and you discover new potion.

Originally posted by arctarus

Hmmm.... zones again .... how big is each zone? Roughly? Barrens size?

I'd say at least the size of Barrens.  They're BIG.  Like, REALLY big.  And FILLED with stuff to find.

My Review Manifesto

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

I'm wondering why is it that only blizzard can make a truly seemless world?  For me, this was one of the most impressive parts of WoW, that you could go from one end of the world to another without zoning once.  Why is it that more games don't also do this?

Also, what do you mean by "huge" zones.  Can you give us an estimated comparison with another game just to give us an idea of size? 

-edit-

You answered the size question above thanks. 

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Too bad about the missing "leaf people" and the midgets.  I would really have loved to have seen a boatload more sylvari vids and screenies.

The rest of the bads, I'm fine with.  I've never had a problem with zoning since I learned to love it from GW1 and the crafting being mediocre is not a problem.  It's just a means to an end for me anyways.  So long as it isn't poor, I'm happy.

I don't think I've ever looked forward to PvP this much with any other game.  Actually, I know I haven't.

I saw couple of PVP videos and there was laggin and hitching going on. I hope they iron that out too because nothing kills PVP like bad lag. And there weren't that many players on the map. I know Anet is aiming for 500 players, it is going to be a real challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzT84JBHwJQ&feature=player_embedded

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

So it sounds more like how FFXI's instanced zones were.  I remember having to zone a lot but the gameworld felt like a world, each zone was fairly large and took a bit to travel from one side to the other.  As long as it doesn't feel shallow and fake like EQ2's zones or like giant tunnels as in SWTOR, this will be one we can get used to I hope.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

Thanks for the write up.  I can't wait to hear more!

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

after so many write ups, still not an answer. How BIG is  BIG when talking zones :P?

it's really the only question im dying to find out for so long ! Can anyway that knows compare it too a few maps or exsiting games ? WoW, Aion, Swtor i dunno something :)

• chillizchilliz Member UncommonPosts: 96

Just great more zones, and numbered zones, and jumping and seeignl oad screens.  This is what was awful about GW1, bloody destoyed AOC, and now this so called next gen mmo has to have  zoned copys of areas.  While GW2 does look absolutely fantastic, this a negative for me, and I was really hoping they were not going to go this route.  Sorry if anyone disagrees, but this absolutely destroys any actually postive for me.  There are alot of postives doubt, but a huge huge negative is the numbered and zones areas.

Like somone said this is why world of warcraft feels amazing, no zoned areas, people in areas all together.   This is why for me even nearly 10 years on it feels more of a world than any game for me.  Yeha there might be alot of emphasis on going to citys atm, but where ever you want you can meet peopel, and not have to keep woundering where people are etc I dont want have to be zoning every time, and loading acreens galore to go to areas of the world all the time.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Teleports, i never liked the idea since it kills the immersion.

But being buisy casual player, its maybe a good thing after all.

As for WOW comparison. Wow is also instanced. What people dont know that when you pass trough a tunnel (or similar) from zone to zone. There is loading happening in background. Its just very clever way to hide it.

So huge zones , i guess its just necessary evil.

Crafting. I guess it can be bummer for some.

But as long you can create usefull items and play the market, i am satisfied.

As for hitching video posted above.

I doubt Anet is guilty for players crap PC and bad connection

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Originally posted by Djildjamesh

after so many write ups, still not an answer. How BIG is  BIG when talking zones :P?

it's really the only question im dying to find out for so long ! Can anyway that knows compare it too a few maps or exsiting games ? WoW, Aion, Swtor i dunno something :)

As I said a few posts above: I'd say at least the size of Barrens.  They're BIG.  Like, REALLY big.  And FILLED with stuff to find.

My Review Manifesto

• DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170

I don't really have any problems with the ''bad'' stuff. I was never really into crafting, altough i understand why some would like to see something better. I don't care if there's some instancing involved. If Bill says it's big enough, I'll take his word for it.

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Teleports, i never liked the idea since it kills the immersion.

But being buisy casual player, its maybe a good thing after all.

As for WOW comparison. Wow is also instanced. What people dont know that when you pass trough a tunnel (or similar) from zone to zone. There is loading happening in background. Its just very clever way to hide it.

So huge zones , i guess its just necessary evil.

Crafting. I guess it can be bummer for some.

But as long you can create usefull items and play the market, i am satisfied.

As for hitching video posted above.

I doubt Anet is guilty for players crap PC and bad connection

I hope it his PC but then again till game opens up to more people we can only guess.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Thanks for answering Bill, guess we have to log in and experience for ourselves. Thanks again, good writeup!

RIP Orc Choppa