Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would "Great Casual PvP" be ?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
I know on this forum we talk about awesome hard core PvP can be. But what would awesome casual PvP be?

I been tired of the FFA full loot, Permadeath PvP which is laid out for the hardcore community, but what about the casual PvPers? What's someing great for them?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by MMOExposed

I know on this forum we talk about awesome hard core PvP can be. But what would awesome casual PvP be?

I been tired of the FFA full loot, Permadeath PvP which is laid out for the hardcore community, but what about the casual PvPers? What's someing great for them?

Instanced BGs. No muss no fuss, and big rewards even if you have the reflexes and brain power of a lump of putty.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

There's the daoc, warhammer approach.  RvR, I like that.

There's also the arena combat.  I'm not sure how it is now, back in the day I play wow, I like the arena.  Basically you only "have to" fight a few fight a week, and your ranking move up and down base on ratting.  But you can fight as many match as you want.  But playing more fight don't mean you'll move up the ladder.  Since if you win you gain point, and if you loss you loss point. 

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

i guess it depends on the definition of casual. but to me casual pvp would mean, short(15-30min), instanced, mini-game type scenarios, that dont require a gear treadmill to be somewhat competitive at.

I've got the straight edge.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Swtor

You can get all your "phatlewt"

Without actually winning, hell without actually pvping
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Two things come to mind that a casual PvP needs.

• Get in and get out quickly. You can log in and get in on the action right away and log off in just 15 minutes.

• No "grind for PvP". This means no hours upon hours spent in PvE to get any competitive edge in PvP. Doing PvE to get "better" in PvP is wrong as it is but the amount of grind you have to do is even more ridiculous.

Casual-ness says nothing about how twitchy the game is, or how hard. Just that you don't have to spend half your lifetime being competitive in it and you can play it and accomplish something all within your lunchbreak.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• sofearsofear Member Posts: 20

league of legends?

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by sofear

league of legends?

I'd lean more towards Team Fortress 2. New players can contribute much more, and there's no stigma associated with leaving mid-match.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Great casual PvP...

• No penalty for dying or your team losing

• You get rewarded win, lose or draw

• PvP has no meaning and does not influence the game world

• Little or no skill required

• Little or no teamwork required

• Little or no planning/preparation required

• Must be able to PvP the millisecond I login

• PvP must be instanced so everything is "fair"

Does that about cover it?

So your choices are... any PvP game released in the past 5 years.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

None great pvp is not casual and therefore not a single thempark mmorpg gonna have good pvp. I mean best pvp is still from pre 2004 mmorpgs. BG are VERY bad.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Great would be for the casual players to play casual games and stop destroying MMO's.

I could get rich making a casual pvp game. You both start out with all the uber gear and hitpoints you could ever dream of. Then right before the final blow is delivered in combat a big rainbow shoots across the screen and your characters hug and both get showered in even more uber loot and the whole screen fills up with gold and hearts. Then you both jump on the back of a My Little Pony and ride off into the sunset.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Items shouldn't bind to a character and the best item should be marginally better than the most common item.

The hardcores will still work to get the best gear and profit from it and the casuals will be able to make money on their own time to earn the gear and even if they don't it's only a marginal difference between them and the elite and I do mean mean marginal.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Originally posted by dave6660

Great casual PvP...

• No penalty for dying or your team losing - Not necessarily

• You get rewarded win, lose or draw - No

• PvP has no meaning and does not influence the game world - No

• Little or no skill required - No

• Little or no teamwork required - No

• Little or no planning/preparation required - Maybe

• Must be able to PvP the millisecond I login - Yes

• PvP must be instanced so everything is "fair" - Not necessarily

I sense great bitterness.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Casual PVP would be things like World PVP (no skill? No problem, just join a large guild and zerg!) or leaderboards for PVE content (passive player vs. player competition)

MMORPG PVP in general is very casual-tilted, as there is always some non-skill thing you can do to improve your chances of victory.  If you're losing fights you can level up, or bring more friends, or get better gear, and then (despite the fact that you're still playing poorly) you can start winning.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

When I think of 'casual PvP' I look back at the way we used to play pick-up football (soccer) when I was a kid.

A bunch of us would hang out outside until there were about  ten of us and someone would bring out a ball.  We would use sticks, backpacks and jackets to mark out a playing field and the two goals.  We would then pick two captains who would alternate picking team members.  Someone on each team would go into the goal and we would start playing.  The skill and age difference could vary greatly so if we realized that one team was dominating we would switch some players around to balance things out.  Once it got dark we would take our things, go home and noone would even remember what the final score was.  We would then repeat it the next day for as long as the weather was nice.

That to me is the model for 'Great Casual PvP'.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

casual pvp = Street Fighter...

AWWWWWWESOOOMEE BRA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NLy_ZZB_vk

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Great casual PvP...

Just add good graphics, and fun combat mechanics and you narrow the field a bit. But yeah .. your points are more or less right on.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Great casual PvP...

Just add good graphics, and fun combat mechanics and you narrow the field a bit. But yeah .. your points are more or less right on.

darkfall?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by Otomox

None great pvp is not casual and therefore not a single thempark mmorpg gonna have good pvp. I mean best pvp is still from pre 2004 mmorpgs. BG are VERY bad.

disagree, DAOC and planetside are themeparks

now if you had put "raid driven eq/wow clone theme parks" can't have good pvp i would agree with you

I hate WOW style BGs too though and arena.  DAOC style BGS though - YAY

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

SW:TOR

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

I almost feel bad that MMOExposed decided to delete their account. Sometimes I felt their threads were outrageous in the sense that they lacked common sense and appeared to be sensationalistic, but sometimes they actually raised valid concerns.

There was indeed a smaller "witch-hunt", and it is a bit sad it ended this way.  

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

DAOC, definately.  Had the best PvP, when it came to accessibility and being casual-friendly.  I knew lots of players in that game that PvPed there, but never in any other MMO.

It wasn't daunting like PvP in most MMOs, because of how your entire realm was on your side.  

It wasn't as inherently competitive as instanced battlegrounds, because you could participate in large open-world battles without anyone even noticing if you didn't do that well.  You could strive for high rankings, but could also just PvP without caring about any of that.

And no matter how bad you were, you'd make progress, without losing anything.  Course, skilled PvPers would progress faster, but there was no penalty for losing, and as long as you kept at it, you were sure to get at least some kills / realm points.

Even the loss of pride was minimal, because you'd generally faceplant right there alongside your realm-mates, due to all sorts of random open-world chaos.  As opposed to losing with only yourself to blame, or worse, having your team blame you, in an instanced group vs group scenerio.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• MogcatMogcat Member UncommonPosts: 193

Originally posted by InFaVilla

I almost feel bad that MMOExposed decided to delete their account. Sometimes I felt their threads were outrageous in the sense that they lacked common sense and appeared to be sensationalistic, but sometimes they actually raised valid concerns.

Wait has hes gone forever! Why? He was one of the few non fanboi people here that raised some good discussion even though as you said sometimes he has some misses with his threads but who doesnt :P! He will be missed.

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Originally posted by Mogcat

Wait has hes gone forever! Why? He was one of the few non fanboi people here that raised some good discussion even though as you said sometimes he has some misses with his threads but who doesnt :P! He will be missed.

I know that MMOExposed is the one that started this thread and now it says "User Deleted".  Regarding why that user left, we can only speculate, but I do recall several almost personal insults being delivered in other threads and there was a thread in the pub where MMOExposed posted questions regarding rules and how they are applied. 

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Originally posted by Mogcat

I know that MMOExposed is the one that started this thread and now it says "User Deleted".  Regarding why that user left, we can only speculate, but I do recall several almost personal insults being delivered in other threads and there was a thread in the pub where MMOExposed posted questions regarding rules and how they are applied. 

We don't know who deleted MMOExposed's account.  Please read the TOS / Rules of Conduct.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.