Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When TOR loses IGN.....

http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1219007p1.html

Okay, usual disclaimers out of the way.  A lot of people have critical things to say about IGN.  They live on their knees for the big companies that pay their bills.  I get that, and I agree.

Which makes this editorial all the more surprising.  Really no way to finesse it.  Even IGN, who makes a living off of being a sycophant to big game companies (glowing review for DA2 anyone?), and they can't spin it positively.

It also helps that they are pretty much dead on.  Now some people will say "who cares, this isn't a pvp game!"

I say you should care.  When an approach to PvP is done so sloppily, their QA standards aren't that high.  The same bad decisions could just as well effect the PvE realm of things as well.

Bioware also made a bet:  we know this is unbelievably broken, but hopefully people won't hit 50 in masses.  By the time they do, we will have a fix.  BAD IDEA.  In today's youtube age, it only takes a few people to post a video and light up the gaming world with bad mechanics on display.  Much as I used to love SWG, I honestly wonder if it could have survived the social media craze was as big now as it was in 2003, back when only a few college kids used facebook, and a tweet was an annoying sound some birds made.

Not to mention, number one rule of any MMO:  grind is not an effective gate towards something.  People will grind, and they will make mincemeat of your content. 

Comments

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Which completely contradicts their score of "9.0," effectively outing their bipolar avarice.

"Well, this game sucks! We're giving it a 9.0! Thanks for this big sack of money, EA/Bioware! Kiss George Lucas's ass for us too!" - IGN

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

Which completely contradicts their score of "9.0," effectively outing their bipolar avarice.

"Well, this game sucks! We're giving it a 9.0! Thanks for this big sack of money, EA/Bioware! Kiss George Lucas's ass for us too!" - IGN

This is why noone listens to IGN anymore. Pretty sure anyone who picked up this game did it off their own research and not those tools.

• KingPinoyKingPinoy Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by Puremallace

This is why noone listens to IGN anymore. Pretty sure anyone who picked up this game did it off their own research and not those tools.

Seriously doubt it, couple of my friends use IGN because they think its the most legit site ever..

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by KingPinoy

Seriously doubt it, couple of my friends use IGN because they think its the most legit site ever..

IGN is a big site.  For the casual to slightly heavy gamer who wants a good review, they live and die by what IGN says.  There's a reason companies pony up the money to advertise on IGN.

Personally, I stopped taking them seriously a looonng time ago for honest objective reviews.  I go there to keep up with the trends and occasionally find an interesting editorial.  In this case, after the 9.0 rating, they've given 4 negative editorials about the flaws with the game.  It is an interesting case of schizophrenia, how you can rate a game "amazing" but attack it.

Unless they are just using it as mega traffic troll bait.  In which case, well played IGN.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

EA forgot to pay their marketing "bills" this month heh?

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

you get much more acurate reviews from smaller sites like RPS or destructiod

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Originally posted by iceman00

IGN is a big site.  For the casual to slightly heavy gamer who wants a good review, they live and die by what IGN says.  There's a reason companies pony up the money to advertise on IGN.

Personally, I stopped taking them seriously a looonng time ago for honest objective reviews.  I go there to keep up with the trends and occasionally find an interesting editorial.  In this case, after the 9.0 rating, they've given 4 negative editorials about the flaws with the game.  It is an interesting case of schizophrenia, how you can rate a game "amazing" but attack it.

Unless they are just using it as mega traffic troll bait.  In which case, well played IGN.

I honestly think many times these reviews are simply inflated because the writers simply don't play the game long enough. You cannot review an mmorpg in the same way you can a single player game or in the same amount of time. You read over a lot of these reviews it becomes pretty clear most don't bother making it halfway through the game even level wise. Which in reality means what? They base their review on seeing maybe a third of the game at best?

Yeah, maybe they are in companies' pockets, but honestly seems more to me they just rush to get the review done and seeing how regardless the game the lower levels always tend to be more fleshed out and polished than the later ones they end up giving a rave review. Then later on when people make it higher into the game then you start seeing the complaints from them or other writers there.

...or maybe once the "new shiny toy" factor wears off they simply are able to gauge things in the game more objectively just like many regular joes tend to be.

For some reason when it comes to mmos most people's ability to be objective goes out the window. Still not sure why that is. From what I have seen this applies as much to the writers out there as it does your average player.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

IGN: The Fox News of video game industry.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Research!?!!?!!  OMFG that is the funniest thing i have read in god knows how long.  I would be willing to bet less than 5% of the people who are currently playing SWTOR did anything even resembling research.  Unless you define research as watching a couple Bioware hype videos, checking out some screenshots, and then going into a communal circle jerk with a bunch of other fanboys and biodrones overhyping the ever loving crap out of the game for themselves so that they could enjoy what would obviously be a buggy piece of crap with a horrible lack of content.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

I dont read there reviews but IGN has had some youtube videos on PVP that I liked and had a huge number of followers. They never seemed any more biased than anyother MMO site to me, this site included.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Hrimnir

Research!?!!?!!  OMFG that is the funniest thing i have read in god knows how long.  I would be willing to bet less than 5% of the people who are currently playing SWTOR did anything even resembling research.  Unless you define research as watching a couple Bioware hype videos, checking out some screenshots, and then going into a communal circle jerk with a bunch of other fanboys and biodrones overhyping the ever loving crap out of the game for themselves so that they could enjoy what would obviously be a buggy piece of crap with a horrible lack of content.

i agree with this. swtor sold 2million copies cause everyone wanted to be apart of the next big thing. which is what swtor was hyped up to be.  more people than not that bought the game bought it because of that hype.

i think ign is covering there ass.  after there 9/10 review im sure they heard some backlash from people that follow the info they put on there site.  the people crying foul probably outweighed the people that agreed with there review.  and they decided it in there best interest to join the hate train and be in more vocal of the two groups.

I've got the straight edge.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The QA guys reporting stuff in and the developers actually taking that to heart and fixing things are two different things :).

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Originally posted by Hrimnir

Actually if you've been paying attention to forums here at MMORPG, a lot of people played the free betas (at least one weekend or more) and many people that trashed the game for months, still bought it and played for the free month. Seems like a lot of people knew what they were getting into and tried it out anyways. They were smart to leave Ilium/most pvp out of the beta process.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

IGN: The Fox News of video game industry.

Really...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

What can i say that i havent said already in other posts: 30-60 days is too soon to review any mmorpg, unless the content is the size of a ant-farm.

The drooling-payed-to-review-wannabe-gamers will soon get a warning heads-up when people start to turn their faces away from reviewing in general.

In fact, if you are one of those people that got "bullied" around these last couple of years with an handfull of bad bad mmorpgs launches, you would require a master degree on masochism to buy a game of this genre without playing a trial first.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Any gaming site that does reviews of games, but at the same time runs advertisements for those same games, can not be trusted to be impartial in those reviews.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• RavenspenRavenspen Member UncommonPosts: 104

Originally posted by PyrateLV

Any gaming site that does reviews of games, but at the same time runs advertisements for those same games, can not be trusted to be impartial in those reviews.

So no gaming site can be trusted...

I hate to break it to you, but they all have game related advertising, of course they do their readers are who the game makers are trying to target.  Their advertising would be pretty ineffective if say it was selling lip gloss.

A site with no advertising can't afford their server bill, not unless they're Steve's Game O-Rama with a 30 follower listing running off of his personal PC.  Bandwith is expensive.

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

I don't think it's surprising . If sites are going to keep reviewing the game, then at some point they have to reflect the reality of what's going on. 

It was easy for IGN to give TOR a good initial review. No one knew much about the endgame features, so basically it was just a review of the first 20 or so levels and the promises Bioware made. They really didn't have much to go on. As long as it ran smooth and didn't seem too buggy TOR was guaranteed a good score.

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Not surprised, and not so much because it is IGN, but because of the way TOR is structured. Namely, you have all this glitsy story content for the first 50-100 hours and it's only once that runs out (at least to the untrained eye) that all the cracks start to show. 

Still haven't played TOR, and probably won't until it goes F2P (you know it's going to happen), and even then it'll only ever be for the story. Bioware may know how to tell a story well, but they haven't made a game with good gameplay in over 10 years, and there was no reason to think TOR would be any different. Also due to their reliance on said story any new (non-grind based) content patchs, or even expansions, are going to be few and far between.

• ArgoZex77ArgoZex77 Member Posts: 40

I thought this game would be awesome...... I failed....

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Has it dawned on anyone that the review was one guy's opinion? But it seems to be pretty accurate if you look at the Metacritic average score. The game isn't without it's flaws but let's face it, especially on a community like this one, no game is going to be good enough. Get over it and move on. If you hate the game so much, play something else.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Jakard

Has it dawned on anyone that the review was one guy's opinion? But it seems to be pretty accurate if you look at the Metacritic average score. The game isn't without it's flaws but let's face it, especially on a community like this one, no game is going to be good enough. Get over it and move on. If you hate the game so much, play something else.

Nobody is ever demanding perfection.  A lot of us can praise things games do, even if we didn't like that game.  I personally didn't like Warcraft.  Yet they got the interface right, they got the LFG mechanics, and this added a lot of excellent polish as the game developed over the years.

I was simply pointing out that after the glowing initial review, they really are turning into a hard critic.  Whatever one thinks of IGN, they do carry a lot of weight in the gaming community.  And what they say is 100% right.  It's beyond insulting the current pvp system as it exists.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    First of all, that article is only about Ilum. Hardly representative about the entire game.

Second, Ilum is messed up. Everyone knows this. Even the most diehard of fans will tell you that Ilum is messed up.

This is not news to anyone.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Did EA forget to pay for IGN's monthly subscription? Because I didn't pay SWTOR's sub this month.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

I see, because he denigrates the game, the review is NOW somehow credible, and he's not on the take from anybody.

lol, you all are pathetic, you know that?