Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPGs in diagrams

Comments

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

I think craft and economy is too large in the wow diagram, if you dont count daily quests and undercutting of bot gathered materials in the ah as economy...

Flame on!

:)

• KingPinoyKingPinoy Member Posts: 55

lol'd at the SWTOR diagram...

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Could've saved yourself some time and just made one giant bubble that said COMBAT and one tiny dot that said everything else

Drop the combat one all together and call it a side effect.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Too funny :)  You nailed a few for sure.  I have not played all of them.  using those criteria SWTOR does look bad :)  That was good fun.  The biggest factor is fun/game play though :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

XD

You got me OP. Didn't see that coming. Well played, well played.

God I needed that. Thanks :)

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• BogeBoge Member Posts: 182

So according to your diagram, someone with NO interest in PvP would have the perfect game in Vanguard?

• Originally posted by Boge

So according to your diagram, someone with NO interest in PvP would have the perfect game in Vanguard?

Venn diagrams are not enough in order to fully describe the game ofcourse. Vanguard is an excellent choice for hardcore PvE player who loves challenging PvE, intereting and deep crafting and completely open world with some elements of sandbox. The only thing you need to remember choosing Vanguard, is that there is lack of players in the game atm. I'm currently playing VG:SOH btw.

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

I approve your diagrams, but I also think that the EVE one should be the Default Good Balanced MMORPG game diagram. SWTOR one made me giggle. So true.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Seems kinda ridiculous that EVE's PVE circle isn't super tiny.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

Vanguard at release on the FFA pvp server was much closer to that Eve diagram..

Also to note. Vanguard doesn't really have instances so the open world interaction should encompass the other aspects as well

• AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262

Originally posted by Axehilt

While I understand that the PVE circle in the EVE diagram should be a bit smaller, it shouldn't be as small as you make it out to be however.  There is more to EVE's PVE than just running missions which most people seem to think that's all there is.  You just have to search a bit more for the interaction as opposed to just "accept mission - go to way point".

That being said, there is definitely less PVE content than other games focused around it.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by Aconsar

While I understand that the PVE circle in the EVE diagram should be a bit smaller, it shouldn't be as small as you make it out to be however.  There is more to EVE's PVE than just running missions which most people seem to think that's all there is.  You just have to search a bit more for the interaction as opposed to just "accept mission - go to way point".

That being said, there is definitely less PVE content than other games focused around it.

Less content, attrociously balanced, worse quality.  Basically by every measure of PVE quality, EVE's PVE is trash.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Less content, attrociously balanced, worse quality.  Basically by every measure of PVE quality, EVE's PVE is trash.

Exactly.  I played EvE and really hated it, just because I only care about PvE and EvE has virtually none of it, at least none worthwhile.  If I wanted PvP, I'd go play a FPS.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

You two have obviously done tons of exploring and pve in wormholes

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

LOL

perfect!

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

BAZINGA!

Anyways...I agree with the charts pretty much for the games I've played that you charted which were SWTOR, Vangaurd, and WoW. 

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I would not assume such things can be measured 100% accurately, but overall I think the graphics illustrate these games accurately.

Thumbs up, OP.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

the SWTOR made me chuckle

I think the WOW one is wrong, the PVP needs to be smaller and the crafting as miniscule as the SWTOR one, also there is no overlap with pvp and crafting in WOW

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

I think most of the OPs diagrams are pretty off the mark.

OWI doesn't even need to be there, its a PVE aspect.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by AdamTM

I think most of the OPs diagrams are pretty off the mark.

OWI doesn't even need to be there, its a PVE aspect.

OWI actually englobes open world PvP

So no, its not a PvE aspect only

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Great OP, well done.

SWTOR one made me chuckle and couldn't agree more with your thesis and the balanced, well designed MMO diagram.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

I laughed. EVE looks like the perfect mix, but I still can't get into the game after four attempts over the last several years.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Originally posted by Nizur

I laughed. EVE looks like the perfect mix, but I still can't get into the game after four attempts over the last several years.

I think with Eve what you need to do is approach it a bit differently. I mean aside from taking the responsibility of actually finding the content rather than being led to it.

It's been my experience that playing it solid for the first month or two is a sure way to lose interest. Also try not to look too far ahead and concentrate more on what you can do right now rather than all the things you want to do.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    For the WoW diagram. You forgot the PvP zones for PvE raids and dailies. Last time I was playing WoW, it had that. Not sure now.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

This......actually made sense. Bravo!

This discussion has been closed.