Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hey are any of you tired MMO vets, hyped up for Guild Wars 2?

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Waiting to see what happens. . certainly not hyped up. . except that most people I know are at least going to try it out so it might be good to see some old friends.  For that reason alone I will buy it.. . hoping it is also a fantastic game :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Excited most definitely. Tired of the standard mmos go fetch/kill quests. GW2 will be a breath of fresh air.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

I try to enjoy what's out at the moment.

GW2 seems nice, but since it's nowhere near to be out I'm barely paying attention to that title. Which is quite a challenge when you browse threads on mmorpg.com.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Yes i am excited but sitll i will wait for couple of months before purchasing it. I don't pre order or buy MMOS at release anymore. I have learned my lessons.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Not at all...gameplay looks like a blast, but im a sandbox guy and look for full open world pvp.  Being that they won't cater to that...for me its not exciting.  I'm sure it'll be a good game for many others though.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Originally posted by Deolus

I will probably play it until Uncharted Waters in Space comes out (not a real game but someone might read this and think it's a good idea) :)

er..Star Trek online?

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

thread backfire?

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

No, I've learned over the years to NOT buy into ANY Hype whatsoever unless it's personal hype about a product.

GW2, so far, hasn't impressed me enough to even follow it past a year ago. I'll wait until Open Beta. If Open Beta doesn't happen I won't touch GW2, ever.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Originally posted by zimboy69

i really want guildwars to be the next big thing  if only to remove the subs model from all mmos in the future

hard to compete with a game if your not offering much more and asking for £10 a month for subs

the only real diffrence would be that cash shops take over, and to me its not all bad, though really really dislike games becoming shopping malls....never liked shopping to begin with :P

GW2 have a shopping mall too, and then exuce B2P with they then wont need to sell items with game affecting features - a cash shop light....that is something I can live with.....but it is important to remember that in other games their biggest income is from their cash shops - like EQ2 said their main income now is their cash shop sales of mounts and wow that have lost subscribers but have increased income on those who decide to keep playing.

with the amount of people that could consider buying GW2, because there is no subscribtion, might in the end get them more money through more boxes sold and item sales than what a subscribtion would have gained them.

• dipset313dipset313 Member Posts: 3

Im just hyped for the pvp. WvWvW is more than enough for me (if executed right). Im ready to relive my RvR glory days

• bishop916bishop916 Member UncommonPosts: 49

Alot of the combat mechanics have my attention, and I am excited to see what they will be doing with the phasing/persistent effects etc. And the WWW areas are boss, nothing more to be said there... that alone is worth the price of admission.

- B916

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

No, I've learned over the years to NOT buy into ANY Hype whatsoever unless it's personal hype about a product.

GW2, so far, hasn't impressed me enough to even follow it past a year ago. I'll wait until Open Beta. If Open Beta doesn't happen I won't touch GW2, ever.

You know, most people would in that case wait for a free trial...

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I'm not tired of the genre. If I was I doubt I would be playing anymore.

Anyways, I'm not hyped about this game but I'm following it. Could be a game changer if they actually pull off everything they say they're going to. We'll see what happens though.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• OmgTryhardOmgTryhard Member UncommonPosts: 5

Originally posted by Tezcat

It's quite funny looking at peoples dates that they joined this site and answer in a vets thread. Maybe they didn't find this site until late on in life

I have many favourite sites i browsed some for over 10 years and have never signed up as an active member or posted on there forums.Think your point is mute in my case anyway :).

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by OmgTryhard

It's quite funny looking at peoples dates that they joined this site and answer in a vets thread. Maybe they didn't find this site until late on in life

I have many favourite sites i browsed some for over 10 years and have never signed up as an active member or posted on there forums.Think your point is mute in my case anyway :).

Not to mention I was probably playing computer games before his birth join date. Just sayin

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Xstyles

Originally posted by MMOExposed

I been on the forum for a while now. Seen many post and threads from Vets, that seem to be grieving the death of the MMO genre in their eyes.

But I am curious, are any of you grieving, tired MMO vets, hyped up for Guild Wars 2?

If so, what areas of GW2 are you hyped about most?

You believe GW2 will become your new main MMO?

share with us your thoughts and feelings about the upcoming GW2 which seem to be drawing in lots of attention. Maybe this will be the MMO which finally pleases you. What you believe?

I'm sure that a lot of people will buy it and 90% of the buyers will be dissapointed, because they think that the game will revolutionize the MMO industry.

I am 100% confident that it won't. It's just another MMO in the bunch.

Just another MMO huh?  Did I just wake up in Bizarroo world?

Sounds like you know jack squat about the game and all the revolutionary and innovative features its shooting for.  Ohh well cant please everyone I guess.

See you in game then :)

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Im definately interested but still not convinced. It all SOUNDS great, but whether they actually pull it off is a different matter.

Not hyped at all....I cant generate hype for anything at the moment since SWTOR let me down. 

Saying that, I'll probably buy it anyway since its B2P

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

I have come to realise i will only like sandbox games past maybe a month and therefore the most polished and content rich MMO on the planet won't keep me for long unless i have freedom with it.

I will try Secret World purely as it may have features that are very deep and have a complex system that has long-term appeal. Besides that, i can't see anything on the horizon whatsoever, even ArcheAge won't be out over here for years yet.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Yes

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by Bunks

Originally posted by OmgTryhard

Not to mention I was probably playing computer games before his birth join date. Just sayin

I don't even follow his logic. Is he somehow implying that you can tell how long a person has played mmos by when they made an account here? I mean...wtf...

On second thought, maybe it is a good thing I don't follow his logic.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

I been on the forum for a while now. Seen many post and threads from Vets, that seem to be grieving the death of the MMO genre in their eyes.

But I am curious, are any of you grieving, tired MMO vets, hyped up for Guild Wars 2?

share with us your thoughts and feelings about the upcoming GW2 which seem to be drawing in lots of attention. Maybe this will be the MMO which finally pleases you. What you believe?

Well let's see.  I'm an mmorpg vet.  Let's compare the best of the old (from a pvp standard) and the best of the new (GW2).

Dark Age of Camelot (DAoC) vs GW2

DAOC = 44 classes                                  GW2 = 8 classes

DAOC = 24 races                                       GW2 = 5 races

DAOC = Three Factions                            GW2 = 0 Factions

DAOC = Each faction is unique              

GW2 = every class and race in pvp is a repeat, you kill your own races and classes, hence lore is utter crap

-----------> I'll stop there.  No need to keep going - this is by far enough.

The ONLY advantage GW2 has is that it's new, with new graphics.  DAoC has been swept under a rug by EA.  Companies like EA love to hide a gem like DAoC because they don't want the folks who tagged onto mmorpgs after WoW to know they could get a much better mmorpg.

• BLueBEarBLueBEar Member Posts: 242

nah, as a matter of fact I'm more tired of all the gw2 hype ;)

gw2 what 5v5? 10v10? small map instanced pvp, no thank you! lets move along now.

Oh my got!!!
    i neber see a graphic of this before,
    i neber p2p any game before, but this game i must!

• VicDonneganVicDonnegan Member Posts: 106

Okay, I'll bite. First off, I'm neither grieving nor a tired MMO vet. There are MMO's that didn't live up to my expectations, there are some that I somewhat enjoy, and a few that I find to be "pretty good". I enjoy gaming, but it is not a matter of life or death, to me.

My thoughts and feelings on GW2:

Based on what I have seen, read, and heard; over the last couple of years; I feel like GW2 has the potential to become one of my favortie MMO's of all time. I'll go so far as to say that I've bought into the hype. This does not change the fact that I have realistic expectations of the game. I fully realize that despite all of the "good", we've seen and heard, the game could be a polished turd, come release day. It would not be the first time I bought a game and ended up not liking it. Life will go on, for me, if that happens. I also see the possibility that the game could exceed my expectations. I'm looking at possibility and not probability, here. Will it be the 'Holy Grail of Gaming'? It may be, it might not be, or it could easily fall somewhere in-between.

There are a lot of people hoping that GW2 will fail miserably, and that the hopes and expectations, of the "hyped-up fanbase", will be crushed. To these people, I say, "Don't get your own hopes and expectations up.". If their scenario does actually come to pass, and there's a mass-GW2-fan-suicide, I won't be taking part in it. I've already got other games on my back-burner, I'll continue to research them, and MY life will go on.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

You know, most people would in that case wait for a free trial...

He is just posturing.  If he doesn't get his way he will take his toys and go home...pouting.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BilboDogginsBilboDoggins Member Posts: 198

Im very much looing forward to GW2 but I think many of the people here are fooling themselves.

GW2 is going to definetly be different and something somewhat new but it is also almost certainly going to be the most casual PVE game out there. The PvP is where this game will shine.  The people looking for a game with tons of depth and character progression are looking at the WRONG game however as GW2 will not be that game. This game more closely resembles a MMO Fantasy version of Call of Duty than DAOC.

Anyways since I didnt post something that was all sunshine and lollipops about GW2 I fully expect to get piled on by the usual suspects here who lose their minds when someone doesnt agree that GW2 will be the best game evah