Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The More I Play SWTOR, the More I Miss SWG's Crafting and Other Stuffs

13»

Comments

• DarthconnorDarthconnor Member UncommonPosts: 62

Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by superniceguy

Why does changing the game twice destroy my theory? It was changed twice whilst live, so while game is not live they can now do a better job, and take their time and not be rushed, so that just strengthens my theory, not destroys it.

No. It doesn't.

Do you have even a basic understanding of how finances work or do you think T2 and Hjal are doing this in their basements for free? Games cost money, licenses have fees, SOE is struggling, employees demand pay, SWG was closed to invest what little SOE has into new projects.

Keep this in mind -> DCUO was a bigger hit than SWG...and the game was a massive flop.

Ok to be fair the amount of ppl actively playing mmo's now compared to when swg released is quite alot of difference. Secondly DCUO doesnt have thousands of post hating how they ruined the game or the bad press that SOE/La gave swg for doing two game changes while the game was active with subs. Now Ill be first to say with the ways SOE doing right now i really doubt that they have the ability even if they wanted to rerelease SWG in any form. Yet i will say its weird that they have kept their Site for Swg going and they did do alot more work at the end then you'd think a game would do knowing they were going to close it down in a few months.

Honestly all points for it coming back or being gone forever aside if Swtor doesnt live up to the standards that La thinks a game with its licease should then you could very well see other Star wars mmo's coming out soon.

To the OP honestly the greastest mistake i think SOE made was trying to put this game into the timeline where they did. Had they done it like Swtor did and maybe put it in about 25-50 years after Episode 6 then they would have had their own world like tor has and could have really done more of what they wanted without worring about stepping on the movies story. They could have been able to actually progress the timeline and done what they wanted with new characters they created or atleast had more room to devolep. Sadly they stuck it in a timeline that most fans were defensive in protecting which cause alot of the problems when they put in Jedi and went off of what ppl knew was happening.

Honestly i think NGE more so dug the stake deeper into the heart then put it there in the first place. You already had alot mad about the CU changes and right when it seems alot of the problems with the code and balance issues where finally being put to rest they tossed everyone into a new system.

Swtor doesnt have the problems that SWg had as its a themepark game and your on a set path to your top level which honestly is why im not playing it. I dont even think i need swg anymore just the system that it had with the open planets that are there for us to explore. Harvesting minerals, fishing, complex crafting, gathering meats hides and bones, looking for the rare spawn that drops the nice loot. These are what i miss. Not looking so much for the best weapon in game just a rare part to craft a rare vehicle, or a rare piece of appearance gear. I dont need instances and flashpoints i need to be set up in my own world and left to do my own thing. Thats the game im looking for that no Devs are making sadly.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Darthconnor

*snip*

I agree with everything you said.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by Darthconnor

*snip*

I agree with everything you said.

Shock, horror, for once we agree

Especially the last paragraph, although I reckon there is more chances we will get a game with those system in SWG returning, than them appearing in another game, especially SWTOR as Bioware have said they do not want it in there. If the systems do appear then LA must have had a word with them. SWG is already written it just need somone to officially host it and maintain it.  Devs, especially ones with big budgets like EA, do not seem to want to do that sort of game again. But if they do, then I may play it, but I would prefer to have 8.5 years of my gaming back, as will defnately play it then. I have not even touched the other SWG yet, because it does not  have the characters and stuff, and a lot of content that I started to like with the NGE. If SWG returned and they were unable to retain all our characters and stuff and had to start again, then would still play it again, but probably not as much, and others may not even bother If SWG returns they would have to get old players characters and stuff back.

It is a long shot SWG will return, but less likely there will be another game like SWG with its systems again. This kind of game with " the open planets that are there for us to explore. Harvesting minerals, fishing, complex crafting, gathering meats hides and bones, looking for the rare spawn that drops the nice loot" died with SWG. If SWG returns and becomes semi-succeful even for a while, like STO, then you may see plenty more of these games appaar, but due to the mass exodus of players with the NGE, devs are steering clear of that type of game, and why there will be no other game like it.

Make SWG F2P, and then that will show how many will like that type of game in the end, as with all the bad press / bad reviews of SWG and SWTOR coming on the horizon by Bioware with high expectations of complete success, and SWG being P2P, many people ignored SWG. Why waste time playing SWG when supposedly a better game is coming in soon to get stuck into?

If there is another game similar to SWG, then I will have the choice to play it or not, and would probably accept SWG being gone . The fact there is no alternative out there, shows that companies like SOE/BIOWARE/LA/EA do not care about the players. Yes I do not care for SOE either, I just cared about SWG, as even in NGE is was the best game I have ever played, and the only game I stuck to, and never gave up on, never got bored. I have yet to max a character in another MMO. SWG I maxed litteraly 100s to 90, and had 3 Elder Jedi.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

SWG was an attempt to create a Multiplayer Virtual World of Star Wars.... at least that is what the Devs envisioned.

SWTOR was an attempt to create an Multiplayer Interactive Video Game of Star Wars.... that is what Lucas Arts wanted all along.

All that LA ever wanted was just a Star Wars game, a MMORPG yes, but one built as a game first. Shallow. Linear. Easy. Just like the customers they seek to capture. The 95% of Players today. SWTOR is exactly what LA wanted and any attempts to make it more deep and complex and ultimately more challenging and fun will be stopped by LA fast.

Most MMOs today are just Interactive Video Games, that's all they are. Some of the MMO Publishers even classify their products as such in their legal writ, and still call their products MMOs in the marketing. You can't have both... MMORPGs do not equal IVG's and vice versa.... and yet in our modern world you can call a duck a shark and make it legal and believable. They are different products. They always were. Most people are just too ignorant to know any difference. Marketers are quick to take advantage of this weakness (and others like it) every day.

And People in real life that know me wonder shy I would want to "Escape" from real life into a MMORPG....

(the real irony is the more the MMO Publishers push their products on me and try to get me to use their cash shops... the more they are driving from MMOs completely...)

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

@ OP

Dude, time to move on.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Originally posted by Skuz

@ OP

Dude, time to move on.

Nothing wrong with wishing things were better. It's all point of view.

Go play your interactive video game and have fun.

• djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177

Originally posted by Gardavsshade

SWG was an attempt to create a Multiplayer Virtual World of Star Wars.... at least that is what the Devs envisioned.

SWTOR was an attempt to create an Multiplayer Interactive Video Game of Star Wars.... that is what Lucas Arts wanted all along.

SOE designed SWG to be a game in the same vein as UO, using the same types of game ideology. LucasArts just accepted that it was an MMO. It's what other preceeding games were like so they just went with it.

WoW came out and was huge from the start. LucasArts (and LucasFilm in general) believes that the Star Wars IP should produce near the top of whatever medium they're involved in. LucasArts saw WoW, saw how the game was made and the success that came from it and wanted their game to be like that.

Instead of building from scratch, LucasArts pushed SOE to come up with something different, because obviously SWG was getting crushed by WoW. That's how we got the NGE. Of course the NGE was a massive flop and LucasArts started exploring other options.

So you had LucasArts wanting something like WoW and BioWare wanting to branch into MMO's. Personally, I believe that BioWare agreed to make the game any way that LucasArts wanted, as long as they could put their voice-overs and storylines with it.

In the end I think most of us enjoyed the sandbox elements from SWG more than we care about the Star Wars IP. Granted, I liked running around Mos Eisley and swinging a lightsaber around, but I would have enjoyed the same game with a generic sci-fi IP or a medieval theme (not fantasy!). I would be just fine pulling up resources and crafting armor/weapons in a middle ages theme.