Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS3 HD size question.

xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Planning on picking up a PS3 but not really sure what size HD to get. I dont want to overspend on it and here is why.

I'm going to be playing RPG's on it. Thats it. Alot of them off the playstation store. Such as ff7, xenogears ect. PS3 game wise its going to be things like demonsouls, darksouls, final fantasies ect. Basically its going to be for RPG's I cant get on PC. Maybe random console exclusive titles. Once I beat a game I generally wont play it again. At least not except for the classics. Once I buy ff7, xenogears...old classics like that I wont get rid of them off the HD but things like ff13/x2 once I finish them I dont mind deleting them.

So with that in mind what sized hard drive should I really go for? I know I dont want the 40gig because of the quality of the machine. But would a 60 or 80 be enough or should I look at something like 120-160 minimum?

I know I know its an MMO site. I just dont feel like signing up for forums I would only ever use once to ask this question.

Comments

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

I imagine you wont need a huge harddrive if your only going to be saving games to your HD from the PSN store. This is based on my experience with buying games from the store on xbox so take it with a grain of salt. For the xbox the downloaded games werent that big so I didnt need a massive HD. used the games disks for the exclusives etc.

Hope if may give you some insight

Best wishes

Saint

ps i wish i could afford a ps3 :P

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

You can always upgrade the hard drive later. It really isn't that hard. There are a million tutorials online about how to do it. It just uses a standard laptop hard drive.

• samuraislyr4samuraislyr4 Member UncommonPosts: 73

If you get the 299 model, whcih is 160 GB I think is more than enough.

PS1 games from the PSN store take up hardly any room, even FF7 is only like 500 MB.

Some games will require an install which are anywhere from 1-5 GB usually. You  can always delete stuff if it gets in the way of course.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Doesn't really matter what size. You can always delete and download again at a later date. Also you wont lose the save game data unless you delete it yourself.

Been using the 80 gig since it was first released and no issues just delete a game and don't delete my save game data.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

You can always upgrade the hard drive later. It really isn't that hard. There are a million tutorials online about how to do it. It just uses a standard laptop hard drive.

Oh hell I didnt know that, thanks.  I have a 500gig laptop HD sitting around not being used from an old laptop that died lol.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I've had a 160G one for awhile and have yet to fill it, it really should me more than enough. If you do end up needing more space switch out the harddrive or delete games you won't be playing and download them again later. 

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322

Here is a guide just so you can see how insanely easy it is.

http://vgstrategies.about.com/od/ps3cheatsandcodes/a/PS3HDDDriveSwap.htm

If you already have a hard drive laying around that you will install into the PS3 I would just do that before you even use it.  This way you don't have to worry about backing anything up.

That said, I don't think anything larger than what it comes with as a standard is really necessary.  Up to you I guess.