Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

New player, review/experience!

RasereiRaserei webster, MAPosts: 1,011Member

I recently downloaded Everquest 2 to try it out. Coming from 6 years of WoW and experience in a ton of other MMO's like SWTOR (50 Gunslinger), AoC, Aion, Shadowbane, Everquest 1, The Realm..... The list goes on...

I must say, Everquest 2 is the best MMO on the market right now. They changed it so much since launch. It's easier to get into but still has that epic feel Everquest usually brings. There is a huge world to explore, epic crafting, mercenaries you can hire to help you out, group AND solo dungeons, collections, quests..... There is so much to do in this game... Player housing with a ton of decorations. There is actually a tradeskill made for house decorations (carpentry) 

25 Classes

20+ races

Good, evil, and neutral alignment system...

PvP

Tons and tons of customization for your characters advancement

Flying mounts, jumper mounts, floater mounts, ground mounts...

Epic graphics

Collections

Exploring

Give this an honest shot... You wont be disappointed... There is a lot here to discover

Comments

• LeucentLeucent Penticton, BCPosts: 2,371Member

EQ2 is my game of choice. I ll be playing GW2 and Planetside 2 but i ll just keep my 1 year sub going for this game, I like it that much.

• GetzMangoGetzMango CT USAPosts: 178Member Uncommon

I have been playing a little with F2P. I will likely sub once I tire of my current "main" game. There is quite a lot to do for sure. 

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• bishop916bishop916 Rio Linda, CAPosts: 42Member

You know, there is alot going on in-game. I was trying to figure out if I wanted to play something like Vanguard or EQ2, in addition to a bit of Ryzom and continured interest in SWTOR. Vanguard seemed so unpopulated, I don't know if I would bother continuing, and may uninstall - but I suppose EQ2 is still going strong once you get past the starter areas?

• ScorchienScorchien Hatboro, PAPosts: 1,323Member Uncommon

Solid Game , lotsa fun to be had .................enjoy:)

• snoockysnoocky maarnPosts: 594Member Uncommon

So true...after the big hype swtor, i returned to eq2...no mMorpg is this good....

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member

Originally posted by bishop916

I suppose EQ2 is still going strong once you get past the starter areas?

both antonia bayle and the Freeport server

--- always have players, even in the starter areas

• PharkasPharkas Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 55Member

I just started a few weeks ago. First time on any EQ game. Trying F2p first as a lvl 22 Barb. Im on the Antonioa Bayle(however you spell it) Im really enjoying it. Anyone know of a guild that is accepting new members and are very noob friendly?

• JeroKaneJeroKane OsloPosts: 5,353Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Pharkas

I just started a few weeks ago. First time on any EQ game. Trying F2p first as a lvl 22 Barb. Im on the Antonioa Bayle(however you spell it) Im really enjoying it. Anyone know of a guild that is accepting new members and are very noob friendly?

Clan Werre is a really nice guild with really nice (and mature) people. I can highly recommend it.

• BLueBEarBLueBEar USA, WIPosts: 242Member

Originally posted by Raserei
    I recently downloaded Everquest 2 to try it out. Coming from 6 years of WoW and experience in a ton of other MMO's like SWTOR (50 Gunslinger), AoC, Aion, Shadowbane, Everquest 1, The Realm..... The list goes on...

I must say, Everquest 2 is the best MMO on the market right now. They changed it so much since launch. It's easier to get into but still has that epic feel Everquest usually brings. There is a huge world to explore, epic crafting, mercenaries you can hire to help you out, group AND solo dungeons, collections, quests..... There is so much to do in this game... Player housing with a ton of decorations. There is actually a tradeskill made for house decorations (carpentry) 

25 Classes
    20+ races
    PvP
    Epic graphics
    Collections
    Exploring

Give this an honest shot... You wont be disappointed... There is a lot here to discover

Saying that this is the best on the market right now? nah, this is an amazing mmo, but that's all EverQuest II is.

Oh my got!!!
    i neber see a graphic of this before,
    i neber p2p any game before, but this game i must!

• xKingdomxxKingdomx SydneyPosts: 1,541Member

I dl'd the game......and you definitely lied about the graphics......

Not really a fan of the art style either, so mundane and brown and grey and........well just dirty. Theres no artistic touch to it and it just seems like a generic fantasy art style.

Combat is well.....typical mmo combat, not sure if you can be the best if your combat is just like everyone else.

There seems to be a lot of exploring to do, the continent seems huge, which is nice, but I like the 'discover hidden area' exploring as oppose to 'just keep walking' exploring.

25 classes, 20+races, good/evil alignment are all only avaliable as subscription, so I wasn't able to take a full look at them, but some of the races shown on their site are just.......downright terrible looking....borderline retarded -.- Also I want to ask what is the point of good/evil alignment, do you get different story? or just aggro in different areas?

Also not a fan of the coin cap, there are enough items on the item shop that honestly doesn't require this money grabber.

And PvP? For a game you called the best, there seems to have no support for PvP at all? It is hardly the best when it rejects 25% of the player population.

Its a good PvE MMO, not the best either, but it is good.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• PharkasPharkas Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 55Member

Originally posted by JeroKane

Originally posted by Pharkas

Clan Werre is a really nice guild with really nice (and mature) people. I can highly recommend it.

Thank you JeroKane. I will look them up when I get home from work. I appreciate it.

• karter64karter64 Oregon City, ORPosts: 86Member

I just started for the first time also. 

Played AC & WoW in the past and enjoyed both. Only level 8 so far but it seems like a game I will enjoy. I'm on the free to play because I want to be sure my computer will run it once I reach more populous areas, though I might get the $5.00 option so I can use chat channels.

Only complaint I have so far is it the game throws way to much information out to quickly to really absorb it all in. And in the middle of it all some important info is either missed or not put out.

• LeucentLeucent Penticton, BCPosts: 2,371Member

Originally posted by karter64

I just started for the first time also. 

Played AC & WoW in the past and enjoyed both. Only level 8 so far but it seems like a game I will enjoy. I'm on the free to play because I want to be sure my computer will run it once I reach more populous areas, though I might get the $5.00 option so I can use chat channels.

Only complaint I have so far is it the game throws way to much information out to quickly to really absorb it all in. And in the middle of it all some important info is either missed or not put out.

What server are you on. My wife and I have played since release (tried other games, but always had a sub going) and can help answer questions you may have.

• DeddpoolDeddpool alta loma, CAPosts: 192Member Uncommon

Originally posted by xKingdomx

Not really a fan of the art style either, so mundane and brown and grey and........well just dirty. Theres no artistic touch to it and it just seems like a generic fantasy art style.

Combat is well.....typical mmo combat, not sure if you can be the best if your combat is just like everyone else.

There seems to be a lot of exploring to do, the continent seems huge, which is nice, but I like the 'discover hidden area' exploring as oppose to 'just keep walking' exploring.

25 classes, 20+races, good/evil alignment are all only avaliable as subscription, so I wasn't able to take a full look at them, but some of the races shown on their site are just.......downright terrible looking....borderline retarded -.- Also I want to ask what is the point of good/evil alignment, do you get different story? or just aggro in different areas?

Also not a fan of the coin cap, there are enough items on the item shop that honestly doesn't require this money grabber.

And PvP? For a game you called the best, there seems to have no support for PvP at all? It is hardly the best when it rejects 25% of the player population.

Very true.   Sorry to say but the character models are pretty fugly.  The world is nice looking though.

• ArkainArkain Tampa, FLPosts: 490Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Deddpool

Very true.   Sorry to say but the character models are pretty fugly.  The world is nice looking though.

I just wanted to know if "both" of the models where looked at? the game has 2 models for each race and sex.

• ArkainArkain Tampa, FLPosts: 490Member Uncommon

EverQuest was the first 3d MMORPG, this is EverQuest 2

so when most, if not all MMORPG's that came after EQ ar bast on the "feel" of EQ, then yes it seems like them becouse it is EQ2.

In essence it is the other MMO's that should have felt like something else, but EQ2 should feel like EQ witch is what the others MMOs took from.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,187Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Arkain

Originally posted by Deddpool

I just wanted to know if "both" of the models where looked at? the game has 2 models for each race and sex.

The skeletons for the models are the same.  The skins are different.

The graphics aren't the best and the character models look plastics, but the pve game play is good and the world is big.

I'm a big fan of the housing system which is a way to decorate your little corner of the world and showcase your achievements (from heritage and lore-n-legends quests).  Some of the quest lines really are cool.  Some intertwine and have pre-requisites.  Not all are just standard FedEx stuff.  There are also crafting quests and such.  It lives up to its namesake in that department.

I'm also a fan of the crafting system and the broker (their system for an auction hall).

Not a fan of their payment model and cash shop exclusives.  For an old game they charge a lot for a subscription and the cash shop items are really spendy.  If it was less expensive I would probably play it as a secondary game, but there are themepark games I like better now that have a more actiony feel and much better graphics.  Still I can see why people still play it.  The game is fun.

• djmtottdjmtott Phoenix, AZPosts: 177Member

I love EQ2. There were many times where I was amazed by the looks of the new areas I discovered. I thought the character models were ok, and the combat was ok and has become the industry standard.

The downside is that I reached a point in progession where I felt like I hit a wall. It's like there was a point where there were so many things to do where people were so spread out. Also, even on the AB server it seemed like people were anti-social, and there were no 'hang out' places. Everyone was always in a hurry to get to their next quest. It just didn't feel like a very social game. But then again, I came from SWG (CU at the time) and that was a very social experience.

Maybe I'd have more fun if I could find an active guild that was active during the overnight hours (10pm-8am PST). Even in the few guilds I spent time in it felt everyone was doing their own thing.

• fivorothfivoroth LondonPosts: 3,652Member Uncommon

Originally posted by djmtott

I love EQ2. There were many times where I was amazed by the looks of the new areas I discovered. I thought the character models were ok, and the combat was ok and has become the industry standard.

The downside is that I reached a point in progession where I felt like I hit a wall. It's like there was a point where there were so many things to do where people were so spread out. Also, even on the AB server it seemed like people were anti-social, and there were no 'hang out' places. Everyone was always in a hurry to get to their next quest. It just didn't feel like a very social game. But then again, I came from SWG (CU at the time) and that was a very social experience.

Maybe I'd have more fun if I could find an active guild that was active during the overnight hours (10pm-8am PST). Even in the few guilds I spent time in it felt everyone was doing their own thing.

I found Freeport to be much better than AB with regards to the social aspect.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• echolynfanecholynfan Lancaster, PAPosts: 681Member

Originally posted by BLueBEar

Originally posted by Raserei

25 Classes

20+ races

PvP

Epic graphics

Collections

Exploring

Saying that this is the best on the market right now? nah, this is an amazing mmo, but that's all EverQuest II is.

No..he's right - EQ2 has the most to offer in an MMO and if that's how you define an MMO by being the best - than it is.

New MMO's are so lacking that many players are checking out the older games again and EQ2 is pretty populated for an older game.

You can even say that the dismal release of SWTOR and lackluster expansion from Wow have forced players to look to games like EQ2 that have more game play options besides grinding for gear and raiding ad nauseum.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• echolynfanecholynfan Lancaster, PAPosts: 681Member

Translation: My computer sucks so I had the settings turned all the way down so the graphics look like crap and I'm to cheap to pay for a sub so I can't use all the features.

Also - there are so many hidden places to explore it's not even funny...I just accidently fell down a hole and ended up in an underground cavern filled with Heroic baddies...the world is full of these places.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• teakboisteakbois Parlin, NJPosts: 2,154Member

Most games support the 25% at the expense of the other 75%.  I have yet to see an MMO that tries to cater to PvP that hasnt negatively affected PvE with its PvP changes.

• someforumguysomeforumguy HomePosts: 3,538Member Uncommon

I agree about EQ2 being one of the better MMO's nowadays. Especially if you look at the amount of content and offered features.

But I also agree about the client being very badly optimised. Performance needed for whatever the game can offer in the graphics department is relatively large for a game this old. It is very noticable when you enter a house that has loads of decoration with silly turned on effects. I suspect that the client is based on outdated technology that is still very CPU dependant.

• teakboisteakbois Parlin, NJPosts: 2,154Member

Originally posted by someforumguy

I suspect that the client is based on outdated technology that is still very CPU dependant.

It is.  SoE was designing the game with future PCs in mind, but the technology shifted

• djmtottdjmtott Phoenix, AZPosts: 177Member

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by someforumguy

I suspect that the client is based on outdated technology that is still very CPU dependant.

It is.  SoE was designing the game with future PCs in mind, but the technology shifted

There were two schools of thought. One was that CPUs were going to keep increasing in speed. That's the one that EQ2 was designed around but it didn't work out that way. They couldn't get CPUs to go any faster so they shifted to multi-core processors. So the engine for EQ2 was designed to take advantage of the faster CPUs they thought were going to be developed.