Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWOTR drove me back to play WoW!!

Comments

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by CrunkJuice2
    "Should I continue to go on explaining how WoW indeed does have more endgame / high end content then SWTOR."
    ya,continue blabbering on your ignorance.but whatever,games probably not gonna be worth playing in less then 6 months anyway for people who actually care about pvp with the direction the pvp seems to be going.but i guess thats what you get when you hire in a company that has more negative responses ive seen by people then positive
    unless mythic really wasnt that bad of a company(i never played warhammer but everyone seems to think mythic drove the game into the ground pvp wise).cuz i dont know,i know from what ive seen as far as forums go alot of people way overdramatize things.the only thing ive seen so far that looks stupid is the vote kick thing in warzones and that retarded bag for pvp reward system but apparently there changing that 

If you have facts to backup otherwise then by all means post it up. I've posted up facts on what WoW has an even provided a link to back it up. Yet you still seem to think that SWTOR has more endgame content. So by all beans back up what your saying. And if indeed you are correct I have no problem admitting I was wrong. But I have yet to be proven otherwise.

As far as the pvp goes in SWTOR, I think everyone will admit that it started out a huge mess. It's made some progress to getting better as far as the bracketing things up and cleaning up the ability lag. But so far all they have promised is ONE BG addition in the next content patch. So that will bring it upto 4 BGs total. 2 same faction + fvf BG's and 2 faction vs faction BGs. As far as the World pvp goes thats a complete dud in the water. At this point it doesnt look like anything is going to change in that front anytime soon. Atleast nothing they have announced about it.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

if world of warcraft has so much end game content then how come the majority of people i know cant even be considered active players since cataclysm came out

i mean you would think with all this end game content they would actually log in and do it.and not just log in for 4 hours for 3 days a week and raid and then log off right.they dont call world of warcraft a casual mmo for no reason

but meh,i dont know from what ive heard about mythics past and from what ive seen with just epic win ideas like a vote kick system in warzones.i think sw tors future is probably gonna be a pve only game cuz all the people who actually care about pvp are just gonna quit when guild wars 2 and tera come out because the pvp will be ten fold better

but i dont know,maybe all the negative stuff ive heard about mythic isnt really that bad(i never played warhammer)and the pvp in sw tor really isnt as bad as people are complaining about.it just seems like its gonna turn into another world of warcraft shitfest when it comes to pvp

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Originally posted by Thomas2006

" because if WoW has anything its more endgame / high level content then most games will ever have."

thats funny,people arent making it up when they say cataclysm has a lack of content.if anything,99 percent of other mmorpgs will have a crapton of more content

but i guess you get lack of content when the company that makes the game ignores every other playerbase playing then the crybaby casuals

So WoW having 9 Heroic mode dungeons in Cata and SWTOR having 7 accessible HM mode instances is SWTOR having more endgame content. That is just the entry endgame content.

Looking at the raids you have. Thrones of the Four Winds, Baradin Hold, Blackwing Descent, The Bastion of Twilight, Firelands, and Dragon Soul. A total of 31 Bosses. All are both 10 and 25 man raids.

Also between 80-85 you have 13 Dungeons you can run (not counting heroics). And that is just the 80-85 bracket.

Should I continue to go on explaining how WoW indeed does have more endgame / high end content then SWTOR.

WoW also has a total of 27 raids from level 60 to 85. 65 different dungeons to use for leveling up with from level 15+

Source: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/zone/#expansion=3

You're missing the point.  Old content has zero value, as next to nobody is doing them and for a reason.  The gear isn't worth having anymore.

How much (current) end game content does WoW have.  The answer is 1 raid and 3 dungeons.  The latter already being redundant to most players, and for raiders they were redundant before they were added (given the item level of the gear).

Overall yes WoW has more content, as its been building it up for seven years.   Most of it however is just legacy content that isn't used.  However if you compair current end game between both games, SWTOR has much more.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by grapevine

" because if WoW has anything its more endgame / high level content then most games will ever have."
    thats funny,people arent making it up when they say cataclysm has a lack of content.if anything,99 percent of other mmorpgs will have a crapton of more content
    but i guess you get lack of content when the company that makes the game ignores every other playerbase playing then the crybaby casuals

So WoW having 9 Heroic mode dungeons in Cata and SWTOR having 7 accessible HM mode instances is SWTOR having more endgame content. That is just the entry endgame content.
    Looking at the raids you have. Thrones of the Four Winds, Baradin Hold, Blackwing Descent, The Bastion of Twilight, Firelands, and Dragon Soul. A total of 31 Bosses. All are both 10 and 25 man raids.
    Also between 80-85 you have 13 Dungeons you can run (not counting heroics). And that is just the 80-85 bracket.
    Should I continue to go on explaining how WoW indeed does have more endgame / high end content then SWTOR.
    WoW also has a total of 27 raids from level 60 to 85. 65 different dungeons to use for leveling up with from level 15+

You're missing the point.  Old content has zero value, next to nobody is doing them.   How much (current) end game content does WoW have.  The answer is 1 raid and 3 dungeons.  The latter already being redunant to most players.

Then that has nothing to do with content then. You are talking about current progression only. And thats just based upon what gear you get from a instance. I havent done endgame raiding in WoW in so time. But I doubt people just jump straight into the latest raid without having to have done some gear progression to get prepared for it.

Just like in SWTOR you dont just jump right into nightmare modes without having done some progression to get upto the point of doing it gear wise.

Originally posted by grapevine

You're missing the point.  Old content has zero value, next to nobody is doing them.   How much (current) end game content does WoW have.  The answer is 1 raid and 3 dungeons.  The latter already being redunant to most players.

Then that has nothing to do with content then. You are talking about current progression only. And thats just based upon what gear you get from a instance. I havent done endgame raiding in WoW in so time. But I doubt people just jump straight into the latest raid without having to have done some gear progression to get prepared for it.

Just like in SWTOR you dont just jump right into nightmare modes without having done some progression to get upto the point of doing it gear wise.

You cannot fairly compair volume of overall content between a MMO that's been out for a month or so, to one that been around for seven years.   We are talking current end game here, not end game as its progressed through the years.  There's no avoiding that WoW is extremely limited in that area at the moment.  As an end game character in SWTOR, there's simply more to do.

As for jumping into the latest raid.  That is exactly what happens.  People hit 85, farm valour points from repating a few dungeons, then start doing Dragon Soul (i.e. the latest raid).   Older raids (including the level 85 ones) and other content is skipped.   Its been made even worse recently due to the looking for raid feature, which as it happens only works for Dragon Soul.   So at best we get to repeat the same raid at three difficulty levels (i.e. LFR, normal and heroic).

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

to OP:

i was close as well. doing battlegrounds in TOR reminded me of how much fun WoW's pvp was (both BGs and open world) i actually thought of going back to WoW for the like 5th time. 

the problem with TOR is simply that they gambled all their effort and money into the voice overs.......and guess what? almost nobody likes them. the gamble has backfired.

everything else they have : questing, pvp, zones, dungeons, space combat, "housing"(space ship), classes,  graphics, textures, game mechanics, responsivness, preformance, end game content, etc, etc it's done better in all the other mmos that we have been playing for years.  

there is almost nothing unique about TOR except the sheer ammount of voiceovers and maybe the red light sabers. that's it. absolutely nothing else that you can say "damn, this feature is so damn fun and i can't get it in any other mmo". on the contrary almost everything in TOR is done better in some other mmo.

it's what happens when you immitate instead of innovate.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

to OP:

i was close as well. doing battlegrounds in TOR reminded me of how much fun WoW's pvp was (both BGs and open world) i actually thought of going back to WoW for the like 5th time. 

the problem with TOR is simply that they gambled all their effort and money into the voice overs.......and guess what? almost nobody likes them. the gamble has backfired.

everything else they have : questing, pvp, zones, dungeons, space combat, "housing"(space ship), classes,  graphics, textures, game mechanics, responsivness, preformance, end game content, etc, etc it's done better in all the other mmos that we have been playing for years.  

there is almost nothing unique about TOR except the sheer ammount of voiceovers and maybe the red light sabers. that's it. absolutely nothing else that you can say "damn, this feature is so damn fun and i can't get it in any other mmo". on the contrary almost everything in TOR is done better in some other mmo.

it's what happens when you immitate instead of innovate.

generic nonsense 1021. I love it when people say crap like this....... on what are you basing this fantastical "yarn"?

Hmm re-reading that statement I see it makes almost no sense, "almost nobody", did you mean almost everyone dislikes them?

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

It doesnt matter how many peanuts or pieces of corn it has in it.

A turd is still a turd.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Yep.  The game made me appreciate WoW more, even with the lame cash shop creations and cluttered end game theme park.  No medieval mmorpgs out there with this much to do so :/

Originally posted by nikoliath

generic nonsense 1021. I love it when people say crap like this....... on what are you basing this fantastical "yarn"?

Hmm re-reading that statement I see it makes almost no sense, "almost nobody", did you mean almost everyone dislikes them?

dude just get over your yourself. 95% of players end up "space bar" almost everything except maybe the main quest line. by the second or third char most people will start "space bar" even that one.

next your gonna tell me how you listened to absolutely every single voice over in every single quest of all your 5+ characters.....congrats you're right up there with the rest of the 5%ers.

I don't believe any statistics exist (outside of Bioware) that could back that up.   Fact is we don't know how many people skip the voice overs.   To be honest even after doing flashpoints on hard mode, and seeing the scenes numerious times people aren't skipping them.    Sure people are being asked to, but I've only seen that occur on hard mode runs where people have already seen them.   During leveling and grouped, they weren't skipped and neither did people ask other to do so.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

A friend who just went back to WoW from TOR made me understand something today when i've asked him why did he do that, after 3-4 first weeks when he tried to convince me how cool and great and new and full of content TOR is. He said to me "well, when you wait months for it, when you leave your game for it, when you pay 50-100 bucks for it, it takes guts to admit to yourself that your decision was wrong. You want to believe and convince others that you did the right thing"

He said that most of them tried lightsabers but now they're back to 2 raiding teams again, people are going back. TOR fulfilled its purpose imo. They've sold the box in millions copies. 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

i wore my spacebar out on it .. was the best part  of ToR , was like a mini game trying to escape the boring drivel of the npcs trying to put me to sleep with there endless transparent crys of "SAve ME"..

Terrible game in nearly everyway , and will be lucky to have 350k subs by  Sept

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by simmihi

He said that most of them tried lightsabers but now they're back to 2 raiding teams again, people are going back. TOR fulfilled its purpose imo. They've sold the box in millions copies. 

If they make a decent profit off of TOR, maybe they'll make a ME MMO like they should have done in the first place, and use what they've learned to make it better.

wait people actually think wow's pvp is fun?

wow's pvp is a joke.but i guess thats what you get when you have a company that ignores the pvp and focuses on the pve.my only hope is that sw tor's pvp is more satisfying then world of warcrafts cuz it looks like its pretty much the same

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

I waited forever for the release of this game, I have played all the BW games to date and could not wait to play this. Hell I will even admit that I bought the CE, yeah that is right I have a big effing Sith paperweight. I have not logged on in over a week and cancelled earlier today, what a shame, what a waste of what could have been.

Where I will go no idea, maybe back to EvE, maybe play GW till GW2 comes out but now I am at the point where I feel that no one can make a decent game anymore. AoC- Failed, Aion- Failed, LoTRO Could have been more, WAR- Failed, SWTOR- Failed, will GW2 do it I hope so because there is nothing but resubbing back to WoW if it fails and the wait for Titan.

"will GW2 do it I hope so"

dont even waste your time.you probably wont give gw2 the chance to become a good mmo,you'll just unsub after the free month and slam the game like your doing with sw tor

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

dont even waste your time.you probably wont give gw2 the chance to become a good mmo,you'll just unsub after the free month and slam the game like your doing with sw tor

All GW2 months are free.

wait people actually think wow's pvp is fun?

wow's pvp is a joke.but i guess thats what you get when you have a company that ignores the pvp and focuses on the pve.my only hope is that sw tor's pvp is more satisfying then world of warcrafts cuz it looks like its pretty much the same

when most people say that WoW's pvp is fun they are not referring to intricate balance or the incredible technincal skills required for it.

WoW pvp is fun because it's simple and incredibly responsive for just about anyone that plays it.

take a game like CoD. there is absolutely nothing complicated about it. you point, you shoot. the guy that points more acurately and shoot faster wins. simplicity at it's funnest. but why is it so popular? because on top of bein simple it's incredibly responsive.

the more a game hinders the comunication between you and your character the less you'll be able to immerse yourself in the gameplay. the less you immerse yourself the less fun you have.   

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Originally posted by xion12121

I really wanted to like SWOTR so much I subbed for a month to get high level to see how it is and to me the game feels more like a single player rpg with pets that follow you. I mean where is the multiplayer component, and the linear paths and instances takes away from the depth of it as an mmo. After so many failed MMO's warhammer, aion, etc. and now SWOTR I subbed back to World of warcraft. I just couldn't take it anymore and i have to say despite the next expansion unless something awesome comes out soon I will continue to sub to World of Warcraft!! The game is open to explore and feels more multiplayer than anything else out here. 

Everything you described is your own fault, not the game. I'm surprised WoW would be any different, because both games are very similar.

well regardless

i dont wanna start playing sw tor and end up having the same feelings i have towards sw tor 's pvp then i did with world of warcraft.i felt like pvp was pretty much bottom priority for the company that made world of warcraft and its in a nutshell,an imbalanced shitty mess that will never get fixed

but i never played warhammer so maybe the only real similarity between the two games pvp wise is the fact you have 2 factions.which from what ive heard,wont matter in 1.2 anyway or whatever cuz i think there adding same faction warzones

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by Gajari

I really wanted to like SWOTR so much I subbed for a month to get high level to see how it is and to me the game feels more like a single player rpg with pets that follow you. I mean where is the multiplayer component, and the linear paths and instances takes away from the depth of it as an mmo. After so many failed MMO's warhammer, aion, etc. and now SWOTR I subbed back to World of warcraft. I just couldn't take it anymore and i have to say despite the next expansion unless something awesome comes out soon I will continue to sub to World of Warcraft!! The game is open to explore and feels more multiplayer than anything else out here. 

Everything you described is your own fault, not the game. I'm surprised WoW would be any different, because both games are very similar.

Except that Wow has a better engine and actually works and even though the style is similar Wow is still light years of SWTOR and I highly doubt that SWTOR will survive that long to catch up.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

I am glad you know my likes and dislikes to make such a broad statement. So because I beta tested SWTOR played for the past 2 months says I did not give the game a chance huh? oh and btw GW2 is free, just saying.............

it wont catch up because of people like echolynfan that wont give it the chance.like i already put,i was suprised the game made it thru the free month cuz i already figured people were to used to how a 7 year old mmo works in terms of gameplay and stuff and they would of just unsubbed after the free month and the game would of took a shit

but whatever,guild wars 2 doesnt look as bad as i was first thinking so if it sw tor flops at least i have something besides jumping in orgrimmar 90 percent of my day bored off my ass in world of warcraft

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Originally posted by echolynfan

Originally posted by Gajari

Except that Wow has a better engine and actually works and even though the style is similar Wow is still light years of SWTOR and I highly doubt that SWTOR will survive that long to catch up.

Yes, but he didn't say anything about that part. He compained about the multiplayer/social aspects, linear paths and instances. All of which is no different than WoW (aside from linearity, WoW has SWTOR beat hands down there). I am also gonna have to disagree about the mechanics being much better, 'cause they're pretty much the same, and the combat in WoW is gonna be hard to go back to with only one or two animations for skills.

I found more of a reason to group in SWTOR leading up to level 50 than I've ever felt the need to in WoW since vanilla, because there are quite a few instances as well as heroic areas/quests on every planet. The end-game for both are no different, aside from WoW having a bit more variety.

In the end, it's all preference, but the OP's points made are generally not the fault of the game.