Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wakfu the sandbox game we have waited for so long !

Dark_HUmarDark_HUmar Member UncommonPosts: 200

The game is free till the 29th of february because its in open beta, after that it costs 15 euro's for 3 months ! This game is amazing and refreshing ! I recommend this to every sandbox fan. Had a burn out with mmorpg's found out about this game recently and having a blast !!! crafting system is amazing you even have to craft your own money, small details like you can sit on chairs. Its free till the 29th so why not try it ? its free for now! I am buying a 1 year subscribsion for this one !

Update (game information) :

This game has so many things but I will try to name it. There are 4 Nations, you join one and get a pasport for this nation you can be an ass and kill your own nation members but! it will give u negative points and when you get to many negative points you will be trown in prison and you become an outcast ! but there are more ways to get negative standing, for example you are cutting trees down that someone just planted you get the wood for something that someones els planted which gives you netative point which is not a problem if you just plant new trees ! There is a political part of the game people can vote on there ruler ! which is played by a real player and he can make laws and change the weather by paying certain resources also I think he/she can make war with other nations to control more land for your nation !. There are a total of 17 Gathering/crafting skills, some nations have better fish like other have better trees and ores. There are many emotions you can gather by gaining achievements! the game is turn based kinda like final fantasy tactics. There is some kind of housing system where you can place your house in a city when you are offline and people can enter it to buy your stuff and you can craft furniture for it. Also money is made by the players them self ! You need to mine iron and other materials to make coints. There are not many NPC's only the ones that explain you the basics and the ones that teach you the skills beside that everything is player controlled. There are no shops ! I don't know but if you ask me this is everything most sandbox fans ever asked for so give it a try now its still free besisde that the subscribsion is 15 euros/dollars for 3 months ! thats 5 a month ! I am totaly hooked already I pre ordered 1 year of subscribsion already and can't wait for release !

Comments

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403

Originally posted by Dark_HUmar

The game is free till the 29th of february because its in open beta, after that it costs 15 euro's for 3 months ! This game is amazing and refreshing ! I recommend this to every sandbox fan. Had a burn out with mmorpg's found out about this game recently and having a blast !!! crafting system is amazing you even have to craft your own money, small details like you can sit on chairs. Its free till the 29th so why not try it ? its free for now! I am buying a 1 year subscribsion for this one !

Doesn't the game reset on the 29th when it actually launches?

• Dark_HUmarDark_HUmar Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by Boltonsquad

Originally posted by Dark_HUmar

Doesn't the game reset on the 29th when it actually launches?

I think so yes, but when it resets you have to pay 5 euro's a month I think. So now you can try it for free.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Some of the features are great, but I really don't care for the graphics style (so not my bag/same reason I never touched wow)... if you can make a convincing case, I'll reconsider a bit more! image

• ZwonkieZwonkie Member Posts: 10

im currently downloading it, ill post what i think afterwards. Although like many, i dont really like the "anima"/cute style..

• ZwonkieZwonkie Member Posts: 10

I must say, there more i read about it (while downloading) the more i believe they are actually having alot of possibleties in term of sandboxing and do whatever you want in the world.. 

This game has so many things but I will try to name it. There are 4 Nations, you join one and get a pasport for this nation you can be an ass and kill your own nation members but! it will give u negative points and when you get to many negative points you will be trown in prison and you become an outcast ! but there are more ways to get negative standing, for example you are cutting trees down that someone just planted you get the wood for something that someones els planted which gives you netative point which is not a problem if you just plant new trees ! There is a political part of the game people can vote on there ruler ! which is played by a real player and he can make laws and change the weather by paying certain resources also I think he/she can make war with other nations to control more land for your nation !. There are a total of 17 Gathering/crafting skills, some nations have better fish like other have better trees and ores. There are many emotions you can gather by gaining achievements! the game is turn based kinda like final fantasy tactics. There is some kind of housing system where you can place your house in a city when you are offline and people can enter it to buy your stuff and you can craft furniture for it. Also money is made by the players them self ! You need to mine iron and other materials to make coints. There are not many NPC's only the ones that explain you the basics and the ones that teach you the skills beside that everything is player controlled. There are no shops ! I don't know but if you ask me this is everything most sandbox fans ever asked for so give it a try now its still free besisde that the subscribsion is 15 euros/dollars for 3 months ! thats 5 a month ! I am totaly hooked already I pre ordered 1 year of subscribsion already and can't wait for release !

Thanks for the synopsis^. More tempted now. image

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

I was interested in this game until I found out it has open pvp. What is it with sandbox games thinking they have to put in open pvp. I will pass no thanks.

• ArawniteArawnite Member Posts: 163

Now...if they redo the game in a graphical style that isn't aimed at 8 year olds, and make it a true 3d and not a top-down 2d iso view, I would consider it.

I personaly think the art fits the game. Its just what someone prevers some people like this art style some don't

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Tried quite hard to get into it, just couldn't do it. Same thing happenned with Dofus, believe the engine really detracts from my experience. 

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

I agree with the OP. A friend got me into the game, at first I was VERY turned off by the graphics.  But I am a huge fan of the style of tactics games like this, so I started playing. I was literally shocked at the level of sandbox this game offers.  I am not very high level but I dont think there is ANY way to buy/sell to npcs. Every single thing ni the game is crafted (besides some starter crafting tools and other newbie gear).  Literally zone wide coop farming and harvesting.  Each zone has a set amount of the available resources, and people can only harvest so much, until everyone must replenish the resource.  And what is great is you get exp and "reputation" type points for your nation for keeping a zone in a  healthy balance. 

Don't get me wrong Im not saying this is some ground breaking , epic, revolutionary game, but if you can get past the graphics ( in fact i have come to quite enjoy them) there is a pretty incredible game in Wakfu.  There is little direction in the way of quests and things after the turotial areas..  I mean there are achievments and goals to pursue but its VERY sandbox. It took me quite some time to figure it all out and decide what I was going to do with my time.  

Im not sure if there is a skill cap, but I dont think so, or its very flexible.  I can't wait until beta is over and I can really play hardcore to see the high level stuff.

I would feel safe suggesting this to any MMORPG fan, especially sandbox fans.  Check it out you will either go nuts over it like me n a couple friends have or you will hate it. Literally hate it and be really bored.

Originally posted by Arawnite

Now...if they redo the game in a graphical style that isn't aimed at 8 year olds, and make it a true 3d and not a top-down 2d iso view, I would consider it.

iso can "no problemo" cool; keep things simple and work on g8 systems/features (the real game)... just the style uck! : (

Also, sandbox: open pvp - free roaming, free killing but with logical counter weights... it should be the best implementation -> player choice/expression/creativity! imho. image

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

When I first read the post i thought...YESSS...

Then I saw its just another childish Anime mmorpg.......

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by snoocky

Glitch looks kiddy too but its not too childish of a game.  Have you heard the phrase "dont just a book by its cover"?

Originally posted by snoocky

I'm not sure how a games art style makes it "childish" or not.. I never once felt I was playing a game created for children..  I mean its too bad really.. I bet if you played it you would still say "YESSSS"

/shrugs

I guess someone should tell all the guys that play League of Legends / Dota2 and stuff, ya know the adults that form proffesional esport clans and win money and prizes and stuff that those games are childish anime kiddie games because they are iso and cartooney :P

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

I really wanted to love it but the asian-standard level threadmill basically killed it for me.

It's like 2 completely different and antagonistic games in one. Level grind with tiered zones and all that crap and a freeform eco-system... They don't mesh well at all. Level 5 tree and level 20 tree... Jeez. If they ditched the leveling crap I'd love it, but this is just ridiculous.

It's a pity really. The graphics are really beautiful (not really anime... more french comic strip-like) and the world and the atmosphere is top-notch. The ecology and crafting is wonderful... and then you have level 10 bread and level 30 bread. Wtf? It's a crafiting grinder, sadly. I thought they'd be more imaginative in the core mechanic part of the design.. A real pity.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Simply based on the name I cannot even bring myself to load up the web page.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

I really wanted to love it but the asian-standard level threadmill basically killed it for me.

It's like 2 completely different and antagonistic games in one. Level grind with tiered zones and all that crap and a freeform eco-system... They don't mesh well at all. Level 5 tree and level 20 tree... Jeez. If they ditched the leveling crap I'd love it, but this is just ridiculous.

It's a pity really. The graphics are really beautiful (not really anime... more french comic strip-like) and the world and the atmosphere is top-notch. The ecology and crafting is wonderful... and then you have level 10 bread and level 30 bread. Wtf? It's a crafiting grinder, sadly. I thought they'd be more imaginative in the core mechanic part of the design.. A real pity.

"asian standard level treadmill"

I dont understand what you mean about your issue with the bread? Yes items have level requirements like... all games.. I guess im not understanding.

That sucks it felt grindy to you.. I guess one has to enjoy the crafting  and tactics and completely player driven economy to like the game. 

Anyways, As usual on these forums, a person, or several persons make a post to alert people to a hidden gem of a game and it instantly becomes a slurry of posts from people who just HAVE to let other people know they dont agree, or that you are wrong because THEY didnt like it.. When usually they probably didnt even get past the tutorial and somehow feel the need to make sure everyone else dislikes the game as much as they..

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I love the show, I guess i should give the game a shot once it's out.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by quentin405

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

"asian standard level treadmill"

I dont understand what you mean about your issue with the bread? Yes items have level requirements like... all games.. I guess im not understanding.

That sucks it felt grindy to you.. I guess one has to enjoy the crafting  and tactics and completely player driven economy to like the game. 

Anyways, As usual on these forums, a person, or several persons make a post to alert people to a hidden gem of a game and it instantly becomes a slurry of posts from people who just HAVE to let other people know they dont agree, or that you are wrong because THEY didnt like it.. When usually they probably didnt even get past the tutorial and somehow feel the need to make sure everyone else dislikes the game as much as they..

Well you see, that is exactly the problem. "Yes items have level requirements like... all games.. " People cannot even understand that there can be games that don't employ a xp/level mechanic anymore....

I recently played good old Settlers II 10 year anniversary edition. A classic of sandbox design and an awesome game to play even now. And guess what? It has no goddamn levels. A bread is a bread. You add new elements and complexity to your sandbox but all the basic stuff still remains important. There is no "Oh, I outleveled level 10 flour" crap but "I can now build a bakery which makes bread out of floor." or "I can now build a brewery which makes beer out of grain rather than flour."

Wakfu is a beautiful game, mind you and I'll reccomend it to all sandbox lovers. But I cannot play it because of the stupid leveling mechanic that feels tacked on. As you level, you progress from one region to another with the regions that suport lower level crafting elements becoming irellevant to you. Contrast this with Settlers where a fisher's hut remains equally relevant whether you have a 3-shack village or a sprawling empire. It's just too painful, I'm sorry, to think that the whole area of the kingdom could be utilized as a eco-system while now all the regions except the last are just something to grind thorugh. It's a classical "level-up + endgame" crap and I can't really stomach it anymore. Makiing it a "crafting" grinder with an eco-system does not make it any less a grinder. You still progress linearly from region to region until you reach some kind of a plateau. If you can't envision another way that computer games can be designed then I feel really sorry for you.

All in all, I've played beta and Wakfu has a lot of charm and love put into it. It definitely deserves a try from anyone who likes sandboxes and/or turn-based combat. And it's a free game to boot. From what I've seen in beta I'd give it a very very solid score, in high 80s, definitely. But it's not for me because I'm really sick of the unimaginateive linear xp/level/unlock model anymore. And when you combine it with the awesome potentialities and qualities this game has, it just becomes too painful for me and I cannot play. It hurts me too much to see such an otherwise wonderful game marred by this ridiculous slaving to what has become the industry cliche - level up/move to another zone.. jeez.

No, really. If they redid Wakfu in Minecraft style - "here's a box of toys, play with it!" I'd worship it. Artwork is superb, sounds and atmosphere... it's all really great and charming. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea but I do like the playfullness and dreamy surrealism. If I were a big name game dev I'd hire the art team no questions asked. But why the heck did they have to make it xp/level/unlock move-to-a-higher-level-zone FFS?!

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Arawnite

^^This.  Played it for about an hour, love the game mechanics, HATE the viewpoint, style, cutesie sounds, etc.  and the massive grind for everything on top of it.

Its the same with the Minecraft art style you hate it or like it. Same with this if you can't see further then the art style then you are missing out.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

really is a shame they have all the mechanics right , but the Cutsey  almost made me  Pukesey ... had to get out of it