Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tweet I recieved from MMORPG.com

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

In these dark ages of mmo scams and broken promisis i would under all circumstances be very critical.

But this game just breaths something special.

I cannot tell why or what it is.

Its like taking that blue pill and waking up with alice in wonderland.

I swear that if GW2 fails me, i quit mmo's for all time.

No more i will live in a fake hype.

Its do or die now.

Hype or no hype this game needs to save the world of mmo's for alot of players like me who are hungry for a almost perfect mmo going from pve to pvp from gear to gameplay.

Arenanet can break or make the genre for me.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by star

He's true though. Anyone that's played at cons will confirm that 1000 times over.

CAN'T WAIT FOR MONDAY.

People confirmed the hype for Age of Conan, The Old Republic, Warhammer, Aion etc, and look at them now.

In other words, I'm not holding my breath for any MMO anymore, I'll try them myself before jumping on the, often wrong, hype bandwagon.

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

Originally posted by Mothanos

In these dark ages of mmo scams and broken promisis i would under all circumstances be very critical.

But this game just breaths something special.

I cannot tell why or what it is.

*snip*

You are the problem.  Unlike most other games where the editor's get a sneak peak and gush about it, and we get flashy screenshots, trailers, and vague descriptions, this game is an open book.

They tell you what they are trying to do, they have gameplay examples of it, design philosophy, design tactics, everything short of being in the studio.

The only thing now is if they can put all that together, and if people will like what they deliver.  It is not even a question of what the something special is.

Man, why even bother with doing it this way, with all that information out there, when people are just "Oh, I'm hyped up about this game for no reason!"

Better to save your time and money, just tell them this is the best game evarrr, and take the idiots' money to the bank.

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334

Originally posted by cinos

snip

Indeed.

Difference between GW2 hype and most other mmo's is that we have much more information than just lofty words. We have hundreds of hours of real gameplay footage and for two years people have been playing it at conventions.

Look at something like TSW and that game is seriously hyped for what is relatively little actual information. Plenty of text, yet barely anything to back it all up.

Even cast your mind back to WAR and remember all those videos released of pretty graphs and diagrams detailing how their RvR was going to work. :p Yeah, that was hyped too.

Point being GW2 hype is, for the most part, based on reality. Something most other MMOs only attain through often broken promises in a text file.

I agree.  For all the warnings (for good reason) we recieve about not getting too hyped it's hard not to get a little hyped if you have taken the time to do the research.  My hype is not based of what the dev's have told me.  My ultimate judgement is reserved for when I play it but  the game play footage speaks for itself.  I believe what looks like fun to me will be fun to play.

Also it doesn't help that ArenaNet seems to get it.

•  As much as I hate the "when it's ready" answer, it's what all developers should be doing instead of racing a release date. 

• Not talking about things until they are in the game and working.

• Getting the game out to the fans at conventions.  Name a game with more pre-release footage of actual game play that isn't strategically released by the developer.  Fans have been able to test what the dev's have been talking about and not simply take their word for it.

• Letting the press record in the beta.  They are not hiding their game before release.

• Current MMO gameplay has gone meh for alot of us, not because it's bad, it's just old.  The same old thing.  Making meaningful changes and not just changing the setting the game plays in is a huge positive. 
  • leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

Originally posted by ste2000

Originally posted by Vesavius

Well.. Bill does also like DCUO and SWTOR :P

OMG I am now officially worried...........

This is promissing.  I think Bill is a bit like me in that he like a variety of games.  I can't wait to try out GW2 myself.  I'm sure it'll be great.

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Originally posted by Valua

He's true though. Anyone that's played at cons will confirm that 1000 times over.

CAN'T WAIT FOR MONDAY.

People confirmed the hype for Age of Conan, The Old Republic, Warhammer, Aion etc, and look at them now.

In other words, I'm not holding my breath for any MMO anymore, I'll try them myself before jumping on the, often wrong, hype bandwagon.

That's the thing, desperate fanboys will defend anything. Does anyone remember how the ToR morons were talking about how 'awesome' PvP was at the conventions? Until it releases of course and everyone saw what big fat liars they were.

But there's plenty of gameplay (albeit with terrible players) of gw2 to get a good feel for what's going on. I personally very much enjoyed my experience, but because of said 'brave face's' put on by rabid fanboys of previous games it doesn't mean anything any more.

But GW2 does live up to the hype :p You'll find that for yourself soon enough.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

Originally posted by SteeJanz

snip

Indeed.

Difference between GW2 hype and most other mmo's is that we have much more information than just lofty words. We have hundreds of hours of real gameplay footage and for two years people have been playing it at conventions.

Look at something like TSW and that game is seriously hyped for what is relatively little actual information. Plenty of text, yet barely anything to back it all up.

Even cast your mind back to WAR and remember all those videos released of pretty graphs and diagrams detailing how their RvR was going to work. :p Yeah, that was hyped too.

Point being GW2 hype is, for the most part, based on reality. Something most other MMOs only attain through often broken promises in a text file.

I agree.  For all the warnings (for good reason) we recieve about not getting too hyped it's hard not to get a little hyped if you have taken the time to do the research.  My hype is not based of what the dev's have told me.  My ultimate judgement is reserved for when I play it but  the game play footage speaks for itself.  I believe what looks like fun to me will be fun to play.

Also it doesn't help that ArenaNet seems to get it.

•  As much as I hate the "when it's ready" answer, it's what all developers should be doing instead of racing a release date. 

• Not talking about things until they are in the game and working.

• Getting the game out to the fans at conventions.  Name a game with more pre-release footage of actual game play that isn't strategically released by the developer.  Fans have been able to test what the dev's have been talking about and not simply take their word for it.

• Letting the press record in the beta.  They are not hiding their game before release.

• Current MMO gameplay has gone meh for alot of us, not because it's bad, it's just old.  The same old thing.  Making meaningful changes and not just changing the setting the game plays in is a huge positive. 

i was one of those showgoers who played it, but bitter folks still tell me what i should and should not expect.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

Originally posted by ComfyChair

CAN'T WAIT FOR MONDAY.

That's the thing, desperate fanboys will defend anything. Does anyone remember how the ToR morons were talking about how 'awesome' PvP was at the conventions? Until it releases of course and everyone saw what big fat liars they were.

But there's plenty of gameplay (albeit with terrible players) of gw2 to get a good feel for what's going on. I personally very much enjoyed my experience, but because of said 'brave face's' put on by rabid fanboys of previous games it doesn't mean anything any more.

nah, the guys who actually want to hate it will still hate it, or at least they'll claim they do on the forums. of ocurse one major difference is that the haters will not be right about this game.

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

It is true, what will they do when arenanet hasn't lied about a single thing?

I know! Purposely misinterpret what they said!

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

The overwhelming feedback by anyone that has played the game has been extremely positive, Anet's vision and attitude is in sync with a large potential player base, dis the hype all you want but it's there for a reason. Roll on Monday :)

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Indeed.

The combat looks like a lot of fun and dynamic events sound fun.  The game is going to be a lot of fun I'm sure.

That doesn't cover how the game feels long term or how WvW will affect the game.  Even though GvG heavily affected meta and the game we were (are) all on one server.  We were all Guild Wars players able to group with any other than having to choose Kurzick vs Luxon.  There is no long term progression so how will longevity play out for character progression?

My point is that even though the game play footage and tightly controlled sneak peakss have been very positive there is a lot we don't know.  That "lot we don't know" is just as important as what we know.  That makes me cautious and still adhere to the "Don't Listen to the Hype" mantra.

Hype promises to fulfill those undisclosed expectations.  That is what hype is and what it does by the very nature and definition of the term.  That is why, even with a game as positively reviewed as this, I will still take a cautious wait and see approach.

Who said there was no long term progression?  You, Bob, or you just make that stuff up to fit your sterotypical hater?

Just because there wont be a never ending gear threadmill (Thank F***ing god) doesnt mean there wont be some sort of Alternate Advancement or progression post level cap.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Originally posted by Torvaldr

They say that about nearly every game.  They're still genuflecting over TOR.  With a few rare exceptions we hear unbridled enthusiasm about nearly every release.

We should believe the hype?  What the hell does that mean.... let your imagination run wild because all your gaming dreams will become true!

NEVER believe the hype because hype isn't the reality.

I think we've been reading different reviews and articles.

Indeed.

Not to mention the countless amount of actual Developer interviews, summits, and Blog posts sharing their vision.  For me it all started with their Anet Manefesto:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he3jqbDq5hA   Something inspiring and awe inspiring.  No other game in the last 5+ years had as much or cared as much about being innovative or trying to break the mold with their game.   Isntead it is blantantly obvious 99% of every MMO released since 2004 are trying to cash in on the Blizzard cash cow and not trying to vocalize their own philosophy.  GW2 will be amazing not for what it already is but for what its trying not to be and that is the difference between every single MMO thats been over hyped to hell and back.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

The fact that they could EASILY charge a monthly fee and don't.. says a lot about Arenanet.

..Cake..

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

CAN'T WAIT FOR MONDAY.

The major difference is that the video that was being released wasn't backing up the claims.  It was clear for all to see what was actually happening in the game, even if many refused to acknowledge it, and apparently still do.  It's much harder to resist GW2's hype because not only ArenaNet been very good about providing detailed information about what their up to, there has been a ton of video to back up the gushing fans.  We don't have to take anyone's word for anything.  We can see it for ourselves.

I almost feel pity for the trolls and the naysayers.  They've got their work cut out for them because the closer we get to release, the less ammunition they have to work with.  Oh well.  I'm sure they're not done trying to convince us that two plus two equals seven and the moon is made from swiss cheese.  Have to admire their stubborness, at least.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Originally posted by Unlight

CAN'T WAIT FOR MONDAY.

The major difference is that the video that was being released wasn't backing up the claims.  It was clear for all to see what was actually happening in the game, even if many refused to acknowledge it, and apparently still do.  It's much harder to resist GW2's hype because not only ArenaNet been very good about providing detailed information about what their up to, there has been a ton of video to back up the gushing fans.  We don't have to take anyone's word for anything.  We can see it for ourselves.

I almost feel pity for the trolls and the naysayers.  They've got their work cut out for them because the closer we get to release, the less ammunition they have to work with.  Oh well.  I'm sure they're not done trying to convince us that two plus two equals seven and the moon is made from swiss cheese.  Have to admire their stubborness, at least.

We all know that 2 plus 2 equals five (not seven). I wish I worked for MMORPG this weekend....

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Okay...after reading this thread and many others, I have to write a bit of a PSA.

STOP GENERALIZING "HYPE"

Nearly every single thread I read where people get excited of ANY unreleased game, there are always a few posters who have to chime in with "don't believe the hype" or "you're just overhyped."  But the funny thing is, the content of the thread and what is actually being hyped is irrelevant to these guys.  They only care that someone is excited, and conclude that they must be "overhyped."

But don't you think there is a difference between someone that watches a cinematic trailer and starts gushing and immediately gushes about how awesome a game will be, and someone who watches a detailed video demonstrating an ingame concept and then gets excited about it?  I'll give you a hint, one of those is being "overhyped" and one is not.

Not all hype is bad.  It only gets bad when either:

A.  A game producer is somehow disingenuous and leads its consumers to believe that the game is something it isn't.  This is typically hard to tell until release, but you should always be suspicious until you see "proof."

B.  A consumer expresses irrational expectations about a game that were never promised by a game developer.

If either of those are true, then the person in question is "overhyped" and you can call them out to your heart's content.  But if those two aren't true, then the person is just "hyped" or "excited."

And to be honest, I don't see A or B happening with most GW2 fans (there are exceptions though, I'm sure).  Think about it, most GW2 fans are excited about things that they actually saw demonstrated IN GAME, not just a cleverly created trailer, not just words on a page...actually IN GAME...and some players even got to play said game.  GW2 fans also have several testimonials from folks that played the game and confirm the "hype."

So really, I think it's "okay" to get hyped for GW2 at this point.

If you have a legitimate concern about GW2, I'm sure we would all like to hear it.  But if you're just going to say people are overhyped just "because" then don't bother.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Creslin321

Okay...after reading this thread and many others, I have to write a bit of a PSA.

STOP GENERALIZING "HYPE"

Nearly every single thread I read where people get excited of ANY unreleased game, there are always a few posters who have to chime in with "don't believe the hype" or "you're just overhyped."  But the funny thing is, the content of the thread and what is actually being hyped is irrelevant to these guys.  They only care that someone is excited, and conclude that they must be "overhyped."

But don't you think there is a difference between someone that watches a cinematic trailer and starts gushing and immediately gushes about how awesome a game will be, and someone who watches a detailed video demonstrating an ingame concept and then gets excited about it?  I'll give you a hint, one of those is being "overhyped" and one is not.

Not all hype is bad.  It only gets bad when either:

A.  A game producer is somehow disingenuous and leads its consumers to believe that the game is something it isn't.  This is typically hard to tell until release, but you should always be suspicious until you see "proof."

B.  A consumer expresses irrational expectations about a game that were never promised by a game developer.

If either of those are true, then the person in question is "overhyped" and you can call them out to your heart's content.  But if those two aren't true, then the person is just "hyped" or "excited."

And to be honest, I don't see A or B happening with most GW2 fans (there are exceptions though, I'm sure).  Think about it, most GW2 fans are excited about things that they actually saw demonstrated IN GAME, not just a cleverly created trailer, not just words on a page...actually IN GAME...and some players even got to play said game.  GW2 fans also have several testimonials from folks that played the game and confirm the "hype."

So really, I think it's "okay" to get hyped for GW2 at this point.

If you have a legitimate concern about GW2, I'm sure we would all like to hear it.  But if you're just going to say people are overhyped just "because" then don't bother.

Very very very True story.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

[mod edit]

BOOYAKA!

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

[mod edit]

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

From the screenshot it looks like ability 9 has been remapped to key 6 and ability 6 is unmapped? I may be wrong.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

[mod edit]

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• MsengeMsenge Member Posts: 90

[mod edit]

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

I could have told you to believe the hype after gw2 was the only game ever to exceed my expectations after playing it (most meet them, as i'm fairly realistic with my expectations), and it also happened to have the highest expectations of any game thus far.

But ya, now you get to hear it from people who get paid to give their opinion ;)

Same,like you i have also played it but no matter how good it is and how much you want others to understand,you cant because they have not played it.The haters will just accuse you of being a rabid fanboy.You know and i know that ArenaNet have really pull it out of the bag with GW2.All the people that said BTP= lack of content are eating humble pie now.Dev teams charging monthly fees are about to come unstuck.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

[mod edit]