Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does Alganon Developers have to do to get more people to play at a time?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

the population is what I hear is the main problem people have with the game.

What can Alganon's developers do to increase the avg players playing at a time?

speak you mind here. share your ideas and thoughts!!

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Not even close my friend. 

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I never tried it cause I heard the lead developer was a total doosh

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

If they pay me to play then I would consider it.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

It's too late now.  When Derek Smart took over he should have :

1) Made it F2P to level cap with RMT for cosmetic items and endgame

2) Merged Servers to just one server

3) Drastically improved models, animations, combat smoothness

4) Replaced Tork (who quit) with someone equally skilled at community relations

5) Kept himself out of the forums and their moderation

At this point I can't imagine anything can increase their population, but I wish them luck.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

make a new game.

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

They could sneakily reboot this under a different name.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

At this point I can't imagine anything can increase their population, but I wish them luck.

Pretty much sums it up.

At this point their best hope is to license it out to someone else under one of the F2P umbrella companies.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Alganon is a POORLY done DIRECT-COPY of WoW.

Don't believe me? Even this reviewer points it at as soon as his character enters the world, and don't just take his opinion at stock value (he loves WoW, and WoW-Clones): Video

Alganon needs to be remade into NOT a WoW-Clone, and then people will care about it. I'm sorry if this affends you, but it IS the primary issue with the game. It is a horribly done clone.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Sell it to gpotato. 

Thats what seems to happen to most failed MMOs nowadays...

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Not much at this point. Absent a major marketing budget (that the investors are not likely to fund) the game is going to keep limping along, until the investors have finally had enough and pull the plug.  Once Tork left (I totally understand why that was), it was all down hill from there.  It didn't help that Mr Smart drove off most of the long term supporters of the game, but thats water under the bridge at this point. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Are you talking about Wowganon?

Well I think everyone can see what the problem with Wowganon is, and that's why they stay well away from it.

Originally posted by ste2000

Well I think everyone can see what the problem with Wowganon is, and that's why they stay well away from it.

Thank you for that. From this day forth ANY game that has Cloned WoW verbatum (Alganon, Allods, Runes of Magic) I shall put WoW in there to prove a point.

WoWganon, WoWlods, Runes of WoW, etc etc.

:)!

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Thank you for that. From this day forth ANY game that has Cloned WoW verbatum (Alganon, Allods, Runes of Magic) I shall put WoW in there to prove a point.

.....................Star WoW the Old Republic, WoW Hammer Online

Eheh

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Try to advertize as the WoW-like game you can play for 3 months while waiting for Terra/D3/TSW/Etc to come out and then hope people stay instead?

Right now there are a tremendous number of people looking for a 2-3 month game -- just something to fit in before the next crop of games actually finally maybe hit the market.

.....................Star WoW the Old Republic, WoW Hammer Online

Eheh

Look what has been created O_O!

The horror ^...^!

WoWift? (Rift lol)

WoWion? (Aion)

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Might as well say WoWfall and Wowtal Online while you're at it, since you're lumping a game like WAR into it.  WAR isn't even remoitely similar other than UI.  At launch, WAR didn't even have any real dungeons.  They were almost strictly PvP, something WoW completely lacks to this day, meaningful PvP.

Guild WoW's 2?  EVE WoWline?  Lord of the WoW's?  Star Wow?  Age of Wow?  Hell, since we're being really ignorant here..  WoWtima Online, EverWoW and Asheron's WoW seem fitting. 

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I have to agree, especially with the last two points.  I was a big supporter and despite the bugs found enjoyment in the game and the community.  I would have continued to play on and off if not for these changes.

Originally posted by DAS1337

Might as well say WoWfall and Wowtal Online while you're at it, since you're lumping a game like WAR into it.  WAR isn't even remoitely similar other than UI.  At launch, WAR didn't even have any real dungeons.  They were almost strictly PvP, something WoW completely lacks to this day, meaningful PvP.

Guild WoW's 2?  EVE WoWline?  Lord of the WoW's?  Star Wow?  Age of Wow?  Hell, since we're being really ignorant here..  WoWtima Online, EverWoW and Asheron's WoW seem fitting. 

The fact that is RvR doesn't mean that WAR doesn't share the same WoW structure, not just the UI

Mortal Online and Darkfall are 2 completely different beasts.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

The problem with this game...cuts right down to its bones.

Its not a bad game.  Its just their approach.  Its like they saw WoW and said..."thats it...were gonna do that"....now with that said most every game that has come out since 2005 has said the same thing.

The problems rests in having a game that severly lacks polish.  Why would anyone put up with a medieval high fantasy themepark when so many do it bigger and do it better? 

Developers can usually get some support for being unique...and while the eve style sub skilling is a nice twist...hopping from quest node to quest node doing it all over again (as per the numerous themeparks before it) all in a game engin that provides nice scenery but choppy lethargic and buggy gameplay...you just lose intrest.

So to answer...what can a company like this do with a product like this?   Well assuming that remaking the world and the game mechanics are out of the question (im sure they have little if any money in which to further develop the game seriously)  i would say...nothing

Had this been a sci-fi unique IP sandbox with some form of their current eve style sub skill system...this wouldnt be much of a problem...anyone whos sick of the current state of the mmo industry would at least try it because its diffrent.

Right now i dont see anyone looking around for a high fantasy midievil themepark that is dated (at least it is now) and still buggy and unpolished...oh and is now a f2p where you can just buy gear and skills for cash. 

I mean...Earthrise had all that...diffrent it broke the mold...but it too deliverd a shoddy product that mechanically didnt work.  People dont want games where the basics dont work...the time for those games past already and even with the support granted to them at the time are still in the same general shape as before, as far as the basics concern.

If these developers wanted to create a basic game where combat mechanics mob AI and animations were fluid and working under most conditions....and then slapped a game around them that wasnt...well what Alganon is...it would be a smashing hit.

Right now sandboxers only have Darkfall, as per a modern game...and sci-fi fans have nothing, i guess star wars but thats wow with lightsabers.

As far as alganon goes...i feel that its gone no where and its going no where.  Its just another fantasy themepark cut from the same mold as the rest only they never got it to work well enough to keep players.

TLDR? :  Please make Alganon a sci-fi sandbox...and make the basic combat animations and mod AI work right before launching it...yeah i know...one day...sigh

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Why is it that when people argue for sandbox games and against themeparks (WoW Clones Trademark), they always blame past sandbox failures on their mechanics and a plethora of other reasons rather than just admitting that they're always going to be a niche play style?

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

if we do that, then we are going to start calling WoW world of evercraft.

we'll have to call everquest everMUD though.

we'd have to call MUDs MUPen & paper RPG

we would of course have to call pen and paper RPGs D&D rehashes.

and then what on earth would we call D&D online?!?!?

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by DAS1337

I don't know why, but that one made me gigglefit. But just because WAR didn't have dungeons doesn't mean it didn't fit into the typical mold. WAR was nothing like fans of the series would have expected. It was however, filled with the same quests WoW had brought to the forefront as generic MMO content. Hell, even WoW has revamped itself to rid itself of those quests, and the laughable thing is other games continue to stick to it. Guess it's easier to tell players to kill 50 things to level, which they'd have to do anyway, than it is to get creative.

As for Alganon, I could give you a list of things wrong with it, if you really wanted. A long one. But it's barely worth the effort. Five minutes in you could instantly see this isn't a game that could compete with the majority of F2P games on the market let alone the AAA's. I understand work and effort goes into making video games, a lot of it, but in the end it's a business, and you don't get an A for effort when you expect people to pay for your product. You get it for making something they want to buy.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."