Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I like TERA, but I'm gonna give this one a miss I think

13»

Comments

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Benjola

Originally posted by Xasapis

You realise you can make your own combos right? And also assign the combo key to whatever key you wish?

Also the bonus is in speed of activation, not damage.

Speed of activation translates to higher dps and from the looks of that busquit video of a high level warrior it does add damage.

Also, the fact that I can make combos myself doesn't change much, I still use only 3 buttons in combat and  I shouldn't improvise and stray from it if I want to maximize my dps..

Id love to see people that claim TERA takes so much more skill than a tab target game try to play a feral druid during WotLK.  1 2 3 4 my ass.

• ComplicationComplication Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by William12

I didn't like it.  Feels like an MMO that was made 7 years ago honestly.

oh for a second there i thought i was in the SWTOR forums again..

I'm currently in the 3535 hour que to play tera on the pvp server.

Tera is a good game. but the new player questing area doesn't really do the game justice.  Yes, the combat is fun, and a bit hard to get down at first for those used to targeting hotkey spam.

The graphics/aesthetics are great, wayyyyyyy better then failwars: fails of the fail republic.

The UI is fully customizable and has every little thing a mmo in this decade should have at launch unlike failwars. sorry, i really hate swtor, ill stop picking on it now lol.

The set back? You fight the same shit all the way through noob land.  It really just makes you get bored very fast.  But I'm gonna stick through it cause I wanna pvp and see the cool mobs/bosses ahead.

Tera is a better game then the last mmo that just launched.  Just doesn't have super spiffy cutscenes every 3 seconds

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Wraithone

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by jusomdude

I'm having a hard time getting excited about any MMO I know of coming out. Action combat is a step up, but not really something to make me buy a game.

Have you tried TERA yet though?

The combat actually does make a big difference... it's a lot more fun as a game then, say, SWTOR overall IMO.

Combat in TERA is great. It's much, much more enjoyable than most MMO I have ever played. But combat is only one part of an MMO.

If TERA was a 3rd person action game with PvP and didn't have a subscription fee, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But because it is an MMORPG, I have to consider the quality of other features that make these games MMORPGs. As it is now, TERA is lacking in almost everything except for combat and the graphics.

If the game didn't require a subscription fee, I'd probably buy it. As it is though, I just do not see anything about TERA that would justify a subscription fee. Especially when you compare it to soon to be released GW2, with all it's features and no subscription fee.

That's a valid PoV.

I would happily pay a sub myself for it, but I get where your coming from. The sub just dosen't make a difference to me enough to influence my choice of game tbh.

My only barrier to playing this game is the timing... I never start a MMORPG with the intention of playing for a month or two, I always invest in them with the hope they will last me for a year plus. Now, this obviously always dosen't work out but thats the hope. I just can't get mentally invested in a MMO that I know for sure I will be playing for a short while, and that makes it in this case not worth the box cost.

Yes. I know how that goes. But I seriously suspect that we aren't going to see Guild Wars 2 until fall at the soonest.  More likely Nov-Dec.  Right now I'm in between games. After eight 85's, I'm taking a break from WoW, until MoP is out.  I tried SWToR and ran a trooper up to 50.  But the game is just too flawed for my taste.  I have two 50's in Rift (warrior and rogue), and I'm not really interested in going back right now. 

I've tried several Asian grinder games, but before I even hit level 20, I started asking myself what I was doing there (not a good sign).  Out side of Tera, nothing really looks all that interesting.  I think I'll just go play some FPS games for awhile. 

The new Tribes game looks entertaining.  What I'm really waiting forward to is FireFall, but who knows when they will ever get out of their Gmail type beta? It was cute "once" for gmail, but now that approach is just annoying. 

Maybe your right about GW2, but I think we will know more about it either way by the time TERA goes live in May.

If by that time they tell me that GW2 is 4-5 months off I would probably give TERA a play. Like I say, i enjoy the game.

If GW2 is 1-3 months off by the time May rolls by though... I will stick in Aion and wait it out.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Played the beta, hated the look, atmosphere, child like races in skimpy clothes running around with huge weapons. I don't mind questing but it was same thing go kill 'x' and collect 'y'. Didn't even try to spice it up. Combat was fun but so it was in AOC and DCUO. But sadly only one feature isn't enough to carry the whole game.

It is below average for me. So i will just pass and wait for GW2 and TSW.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I still suggest playing this game with a conntroller, it feels a bit more different then combat-wise.

I may have the same problem as the OP though: Borderlands 2 was announced for April a long time ago, and me and my friends planned to play this.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by brody71

I've been looking for info as to what the point of it is (the political system) haven't come up with much, aside from it's description. I mean this to say Tera looks to be yet another gear grinder, most of their updates I've read seem to focus on dungeons, and PVE content.. all giving more tokens for more gear, IMO this is a big part of what kills any MMO for western PVPers, as usually the cost of entry is long PVE grinds, it can be a tiresome barrier to reach for those who only like to PVP.

Any info would be appreciated.

from what i understand, tera failed in korea cause its more of a pvp game(or at least was at launch).  when it launced in korea there was little or no pve content.  so most of the updates they have done have been focused on pve.  yes i would agree tera looks like it will be somewhat a gear grinder/treadmill but i dont know for sure.  from what i can tell, you will be able to get gear  thru either pvp or pve and i dont think there is a pvp stat like resiliance(in wow).

as far as the political system, we dont know a whole lot.  i think it only recently got put into place in korea although i could be wrong.  players on a pve server  will elect guild leaders into power.  players on a pvp server will compete thru bg's for the right to be the elected official. 

here is there NA website   http://tera.enmasse.com/

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep an eye out for more details on the community side of things.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Vore_TechzVore_Techz Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by Vorthanion

but I'm getting really tired of people like you labeling our preferred style of combat and questing and story as boring.  You don't like it, fine, but don't word it in such a way as to put down those who do.  

They dont even realize they are the minority I think.  IF I want more actiony combat without tab targeting Ill go play a FPS.  I think it doesnt mesh well with the MMORPG style, because MMORPGs are often played for long blocks of time and it will go from fun to tedious.  Unless the enemy AI in TERA is amazing, its going to turn into mindless combat for the majority once you learn the enemy's moves and patterns.

You mean just like in Demon Souls and Dark Souls? lol

(>^_^)> MMO Veteran <(^_^<)
    Currently Playing: Tera Online

• Vore_TechzVore_Techz Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by Benjola

Originally posted by Xasapis

You realise you can make your own combos right? And also assign the combo key to whatever key you wish?

Also the bonus is in speed of activation, not damage.

Speed of activation translates to higher dps and from the looks of that busquit video of a high level warrior it does add damage.

Also, the fact that I can make combos myself doesn't change much, I still use only 3 buttons in combat and  I shouldn't improvise and stray from it if I want to maximize my dps..

I admit I haven't played Tera yet, when you explain it like that, it sounds really boring. I was always curious how the control system actually worked in its entirety with the combo system.

Seems like once I learn the monsters attack tells, the game might get boring if all i am doing is dodging and spamming normal attack and preset attack combos when I have an opening.

But I will likely give this game a try regardless just because I don't like to hate on something and neglect it untill I try it out for myself.

(>^_^)> MMO Veteran <(^_^<)
    Currently Playing: Tera Online