Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWOTR drove me back to play WoW!!

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by ste2000

Originally posted by Distopia

No the real question is when are gamers such as yourself going to get it, if you buy something you're saying you want it, everyone knew TOR was going to be another WOW-like, yet they bought it anyway. Netting EA/Bioware almost 2 million sales, this doesn't say "we don't want this" at all.  Then the same people go back back to WOW? yep this says no one wants another WOW, so very much so..

If you look at my posts back 1 year ago, you will understand that I am one of the few that actually knew Swtor was going to be a single player game with online features (against the thousands of Fanboys declaring Swtor the WoW killer).

I also said I would have bougth it and played it for a month as if it was Kotor 3.

So I did.

So I knew more than anyone what to expect from Swtor.

Having said that, nothing stopped Bioware to surprise me and actually making a real MMORPG............unfortunately that didn't happen, for the reasons I explained many times.

Which is a shame.

Another great IP wasted (after Star Trek)

I basically bought it for the same reasons, (something other than the tagline of the game) I bought it for my guild (we hadn't been together since NGE in this capacity). That part was great, the story was decent so I don't feel ripped off. If you knew what you were getting, good on you, and you can be excused for the above if you understand regardless of your reasoning, you have contributed to another successful pay day for a WOW-like.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GoresonGoreson Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by xion12121

I really wanted to like SWOTR so much I subbed for a month to get high level to see how it is and to me the game feels more like a single player rpg with pets that follow you. I mean where is the multiplayer component, and the linear paths and instances takes away from the depth of it as an mmo. After so many failed MMO's warhammer, aion, etc. and now SWOTR I subbed back to World of warcraft. I just couldn't take it anymore and i have to say despite the next expansion unless something awesome comes out soon I will continue to sub to World of Warcraft!! The game is open to explore and feels more multiplayer than anything else out here. 

Sorry, I but I couldn't help but laugh out loud when reading that post!

So you subbed for a month... that wouldn't have been the initial 30 days that came 'free' with the purchase of the game?

'the game feels more like a single player rpg with pets that follow you'... right... I assume you haven't even tried any Heroics 2+/4 at the correct level i.e. not done (or tried to do) them some 4, 6, 10 level above the 'set for' level?

Of course you can manage a good chunk of the game all by yourself... (which would make it a singleplayer RPG) but a) some content you just can't do by yourself, b) some content that eventually you could do by yourself later can be done nice and convenient at the right level (or even early!) by teaming up (especially if you are missing a healer in your companion/character setup), and c) while it is a fight of yourself alone (plus 'pet'), getting jumped by an actual player of the other faction out somewhere in some Contested Territory, playing against a human enemy is a far different challenge than going up against an NPC mob, so definitely no singleplayer there!

'the linear path and instances' - I keep hearing that... and frankly I don't agree (especially in the context of 'to explore'!), because I LIKE TO EXPLORE which has brought me a good many times in SWTOR into areas where I 'shouldn't' be: areas swarming with unkillable mobs or other faction players (on quest worlds!), areas where there wasn't really anything for me to do but try to survive, only to go back to the same place again once I actually got a quest for that location.

I have entered locations where I was blasted to bits in secs only to complete a mission or two a bit later to gain friendship with those same 'enemies' and then be happily invited into that very same location.

So, what you call 'linear' is actually more of a simply progress: IF I hadn't become a famous hero of the Republic, I wouldn't have caught the eye of person X, who would consider me suited for doing such an important mission for the Republic as he has to offer; said mission completed I've gained the trust of NPC Y, who is now willing to trust me with a mission from his end which if successful will make his people my best friends, etc.

I mean I'm sorry if your preferred setup is to just go wherever you want and be given any quest you want, that is not the setup for a story-driven game! Which you should know if you ever played a story-driven game!

(Note: yes, I have been a bit on hair and teeth with games that are story-driven and where you just can't progress further because you can't complete a certain quest... but for most part in SWTOR I've found ways to get past that 'hole' by either finding something else to do (until I could go back to that still open quest) or getting help...

Anyhow, you enjoy WoW... all of us can find the niche that fits us perfectly... so, have fun there *shrug*

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by grapevine

I really wanted to like SWOTR so much I subbed for a month to get high level to see how it is and to me the game feels more like a single player rpg with pets that follow you. I mean where is the multiplayer component, and the linear paths and instances takes away from the depth of it as an mmo. After so many failed MMO's warhammer, aion, etc. and now SWOTR I subbed back to World of warcraft. I just couldn't take it anymore and i have to say despite the next expansion unless something awesome comes out soon I will continue to sub to World of Warcraft!! The game is open to explore and feels more multiplayer than anything else out here. 

The irony being WoW is much more linear, instanced (i.e. phased) and single player focused, since 4.0 than SWTOR is.

Try actually levelling a character in WoW (these days).  You hardly see anyone due to phasing, even in the same zone, and you are given a hand full of quests at a time (usually with additional phasing occurring between them).  Get out of sync with anyone, and you can't see them.  Exploration is just as affected (i.e. you see next to nobody).

Also, yes I play WoW and like it.  However I think someone needs to remove his rose tinted glasses.

Saying that WoW is better than Swtor doesn't mean having a rose tintented pair of glasses, in fact it just confirm how bad the MMO industry had become.

I am aware that WoW is now super phased and what you said is true...........yet playing WoW ( 7 y/o ) feels much better than playing a brand new "MMO" like Swtor.

To me that's worrying.

And the fact that developers still insists in doing just that kind of game is just pathetic, after evidence that no themepark game after its first month has a subscription base that can reach the million mark (let alone the 11 million of WoW)

PS: I am not a WoW fanboy either since my favourite genre is Sandbox, but I am kinda forced to play WoW because there is no AAA Sandbox around and WoW is the best Themepark available at the moment.

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

doing a /backtoWoW is understandable; it happens once in a while *sighs*

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

The irony being WoW is much more linear, instanced (i.e. phased) and single player focused, since 4.0 than SWTOR is.

Try actually levelling a character in WoW (these days).  You hardly see anyone due to phasing, even in the same zone, and you are given a hand full of quests at a time (usually with additional phasing occurring between them).  Get out of sync with anyone, and you can't see them.  Exploration is just as affected (i.e. you see next to nobody).

Also, yes I play WoW and like it.  However I think someone needs to remove his rose tinted glasses.

Saying that WoW is better than Swtor doesn't mean having a rose tintented pair of glasses, in fact it just confirm how bad the MMO industry had become.

I am aware that WoW is now super phased and what you said is true...........yet playing WoW ( 7 y/o ) feels much better than playing a brand new "MMO" like Swtor.

To me that's worrying.

And the fact that developers still insists in doing just that kind of game is just pathetic, after evidence that no themepark game after its first month has a subscription base that can reach the million mark (let alone the 11 million of WoW)

PS: I am not a WoW fanboy either since my favourite genre is Sandbox, but I am kinda forced to play WoW because there is no AAA Sandbox around and WoW is the best Themepark available at the moment.

You also need to understand (and I'm in the same boat), playing a game for 7'ish years is a long time.  One becomes attached, so something new will never feel the same.   

If you compare what is actually available, SWTOR wins over WoW, for a veteran WoW player.   Its something new, its more polished than WoW was at release and actually has more end game content than WoW currently has.   From my perspective I log in to WoW these days for two reasons: -

1) My friends and the character I've become attached to.

2) To play the single raid they currently have available for veteran players (i.e. DS).

Other than for those, there's nothing really to do.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

As i suspected, some of you have no grasp of the english language, it's uses or a comprehension of "sensationalism". I fully understand why he returned to WoW. I understand completely that different people enjoy different things.  What I don't get is how a game can "DRIVE" you to do something.

it's all about semantics. I really don't care what people choose to play, or not play, choice is great and enjoyment is subjective.

• MMObroMMObro Member UncommonPosts: 97

I'm with you I played SWTOR for a couple weeks and was stoked, but after the cinematics/cut-scenes and it did end up feeling like like I was playing alone on empty worlds. I had a cold/lifeless feeling: no immersion and I went back to wow. Call wow old/been there done it/ call it a lobby game if you want, but wow works and you get that epic feeling like you are ina a world WITH others, things feel alive and I get the immersive feeling that SWTOR lacks.

WOW can be a lobby game IF you want to play it that way, although you dont  have to play it that way. I am leveling by quests alone on a paladin I started, I will do no dungeons/battlegrounds to gain experience. I am taking my time to READ the quests & taking my time to craft materials to sell and to use. I have no interest in PVP also.

WOW gives you many different ways to play and thats the great thing. You can join guilds and group with people you know, you dont have to group w/ the dungeon finder. SWTOR's way of grouping is horrible.

At the end of the day I say to each his own: you should play the game you enjoy whatever it is.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

On the bright side the honeymoon is over, all the wow players are going back to wow, and I am fine with that.   Most of them claim they hate wow, go looking for the next best thing then go back.   However I am fine with that if you don't like the game then move on instead of being a cry baby about it just move back.  the amount of qq about swtor is the reason I only visit this site once or twice a week.   I am firmly convinced that the folks who use this site now days hate all the games they play. 

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

After so many failed MMO's warhammer, aion, etc. and now SWOTR I subbed back to World of warcraft.

Now that's the uninformed WoW forums banter I have missed.   Makes me want to resub as well.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by Goreson

Sorry, I but I couldn't help but laugh out loud when reading that post!

So you subbed for a month... that wouldn't have been the initial 30 days that came 'free' with the purchase of the game?

'the game feels more like a single player rpg with pets that follow you'... right... I assume you haven't even tried any Heroics 2+/4 at the correct level i.e. not done (or tried to do) them some 4, 6, 10 level above the 'set for' level?

Of course you can manage a good chunk of the game all by yourself... (which would make it a singleplayer RPG) but a) some content you just can't do by yourself, b) some content that eventually you could do by yourself later can be done nice and convenient at the right level (or even early!) by teaming up (especially if you are missing a healer in your companion/character setup), and c) while it is a fight of yourself alone (plus 'pet'), getting jumped by an actual player of the other faction out somewhere in some Contested Territory, playing against a human enemy is a far different challenge than going up against an NPC mob, so definitely no singleplayer there!

'the linear path and instances' - I keep hearing that... and frankly I don't agree (especially in the context of 'to explore'!), because I LIKE TO EXPLORE which has brought me a good many times in SWTOR into areas where I 'shouldn't' be: areas swarming with unkillable mobs or other faction players (on quest worlds!), areas where there wasn't really anything for me to do but try to survive, only to go back to the same place again once I actually got a quest for that location.

I have entered locations where I was blasted to bits in secs only to complete a mission or two a bit later to gain friendship with those same 'enemies' and then be happily invited into that very same location.

So, what you call 'linear' is actually more of a simply progress: IF I hadn't become a famous hero of the Republic, I wouldn't have caught the eye of person X, who would consider me suited for doing such an important mission for the Republic as he has to offer; said mission completed I've gained the trust of NPC Y, who is now willing to trust me with a mission from his end which if successful will make his people my best friends, etc.

I mean I'm sorry if your preferred setup is to just go wherever you want and be given any quest you want, that is not the setup for a story-driven game! Which you should know if you ever played a story-driven game!

(Note: yes, I have been a bit on hair and teeth with games that are story-driven and where you just can't progress further because you can't complete a certain quest... but for most part in SWTOR I've found ways to get past that 'hole' by either finding something else to do (until I could go back to that still open quest) or getting help...

Anyhow, you enjoy WoW... all of us can find the niche that fits us perfectly... so, have fun there *shrug*

If the game was as good as you say he would have been utterly sucked into the game after 30 days.  If a mmorg cannot keep someone attention after 30 days there is a problem.  SWTOR is a mess of a game, the virtual world is hollow.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Originally posted by nikoliath

As i suspected, some of you have no grasp of the english language, it's uses or a comprehension of "sensationalism". I fully understand why he returned to WoW. I understand completely that different people enjoy different things.  What I don't get is how a game can "DRIVE" you to do something.

it's all about semantics. I really don't care what people choose to play, or not play, choice is great and enjoyment is subjective.

I'm curious what in the world it is you are looking for. I am waiting for someone else who can understand this english language you are referring to, as I'm not qualified. But I'm really curious. I saw someone else answered your question, but maybe it wasn't good enough for you. I thought his answer was pretty concise though.

IS it really the english language, or is it just you?

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

So, you want a real multiplayer mmo.......and you went back to WOW......boot up, enter password, choose character....enter dungeon/raid finder, and sit still waiting for that pug pop up to come.....

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by jusomdude

WoW... the game that feels more multiplayer than anything else out there?

In it's current state WoW is a glorified lobby game. Little more multiplayer than diablo. Personally got tired of it but I'm guilty of just loitering waiting for things to pop.

How you can say WoW is more multiplayer though is a mystery. Might be an illusion since everyone is sitting in the middle of Org waiting for shit to pop.

Not money well spent.

Yes WoW is not very MMO but it is alot more than SW:TOR and that says volumes about the MMO aspect of it.

Seriously, I am enjoying myself, but I dont see the need or neccessiry to group with other players. The group quests are meh, the flashpoint are mildly more entertaining but require you to yell LFF LFG for 30 min in fleet and another 30 min to get started. The PvP is a joke and world PvP is non existant.

This game is for all intent and purposes a single player MMORPG.

Originally posted by Yamota

where does it say you HAVE to group up in a MMO?

Can't a MMO not alse be a game on a server with a lot of other players?

Seriously, you are all stuck in that cookie cutter tank-healer-dps template that's been spoonfed to you by Blizzard.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Muke

Seriously, you are all stuck in that cookie cutter tank-healer-dps template that's been spoonfed to you by Blizzard.

Read my post again. I did not say I do not have to group, I said I see no need or neccessity to do it. If an MMORPG is designed in such a way that you dont feel like fighting with or against other people then it is a poorly designed MMORPG.

Read my post again. I did not say I do not have to group, I said I see no need or neccessity to do it. If an MMORPG is designed in such a way that you dont feel like fighting with or against other people then it is a poorly designed MMORPG.

freedom is everything I personally want in a MMO.

Don't like devs pushing me on a themeparked rollercoaster ride all the way scripted to the from level 1 to the finish.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

While SWTOR is a good game overall and had a very solid and smooth launch, they're degrading PVE because of PVP issues, they made some critical mistakes by allowing early level 50's to get an easy ride to battlemaster rank and now the gap between them and ones that didn't rush to 50 is wider than before and discourages people to keep playing their level 50's. I rarely ever log on my 50 juggernaut anymore and I enjoy pvp'ing in the 10-49 bracket, sadly though my alt is an operative which Bioware nerfed 3 times and warzones are littered with sorcerers and sages that you may just as well roll one too (I can't bring myself to playing one, it's so dull and boring). On top of that, making unnecessary changes such as the toolbar (changed 3 times) which was completely fine at launch, but now hard to look at and manage especially on a class that relies on procs.

Since Mythic is involved with the balance and pvp mechanics, it's basically a repeat of Warhammer online and part of what drove Warhammer into the ground.

You also need to understand (and I'm in the same boat), playing a game for 7'ish years is a long time.  One becomes attached, so something new will never feel the same.   

If you compare what is actually available, SWTOR wins over WoW, for a veteran WoW player.   Its something new, its more polished than WoW was at release and actually has more end game content than WoW currently has.   From my perspective I log in to WoW these days for two reasons: -

2) To play the single raid they currently have available for veteran players (i.e. DS).

Oh c'mon don't tell me that in Swtor there is more to do...........

You have to grind Faction points or tokens to get gear exactly like WoW, the only difference is that WoW has more content and a PvP that actually work (sort of)

Tell me 1 thing apart from the Storytelling that Swtor does better than WoW.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

You have to grind Faction points or tokens to get gear exactly like WoW, the only difference is that WoW has more content and a PvP that actually work (sort of)

Did someone just say that SWTOR has more endgame content then WoW does? I wander what kind of stuff they are smoking, because if WoW has anything its more endgame / high level content then most games will ever have.

It's a free world you don't have to do anything you don't wanna do.

Having said that if your main activity in a MMO is to play the content alone , you are better off playing single player games, you will also save $15 a month

It is true that MMORPG doesn't mean you necessarily have to play with others................although that's kinda the point, even if it is not a written rule

WoW didn't introduced the MMO concept, in fact it killed it.

The real MMOs were the once prior WoW................in those games you were forced to group or interact with other players (pvp)

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

Christ, whilst unsubscribing, I go to the effort of writing a long list of issues and possible ways to solve them in the 'why are you quitting' box and when I click send the website has timed out and logged me off my account - the whole shpeil gets lost. What an apt and ironic way to part company with this frustrating debacle. 

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Originally posted by Thomas2006

Did someone just say that SWTOR has more endgame content then WoW does? I wander what kind of stuff they are smoking, because if WoW has anything its more endgame / high level content then most games will ever have.

I suggest you re-read, and not skip wording.

Please tell me how a game (i.e. WoW) that is currently offering a veteran player a single raid, more than SWTOR?  Yes its relative to the status of one's character, but...

1) SWTOR has more dailies.

2) SWTOR has more (current) top tier dungeons/flashpoints.  This is made worse for WoW, as the recent top tier ones were obsolete before they were added (i.e. the same item level as the previous raid content).

2) SWTOR has more (current) top tier raids.

Then ask yourself how much of the old WoW content is used, by a veteran player.  WoW's subscriptions are decreasing for a reason, and one of those is because there's not much for such players to do.

As for what SWTOR does better than WoW?  I'd not say either game is better than the other, over all.  Simply SWTOR is new/fresh, and currently offers a reason to login more than just waiting for a raid invite.   PvP is just as "broken" on WoW, than SWTOR.   Also remember WoW had zero PvP options at launch and for a long time after, which (like them or not) SWTOR does have.   That aside, I do still like WoW, but I couldn't play it as my only MMO in its current state. 

If I were a new WoW player, even then SWTOR is less linear and isolating that what WoW has become.   SWTOR's leveling (even though fast) is actually a lot slower than WoW's, and offers more oportunities for grouping.  The enjoyment of leveling is about the same.  Although WoW suffers (heavily in places) between levels 60 - 80, as that content hasn't been refreshed to the new approach to questing.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

" because if WoW has anything its more endgame / high level content then most games will ever have."

thats funny,people arent making it up when they say cataclysm has a lack of content.if anything,99 percent of other mmorpgs will have a crapton of more content

but i guess you get lack of content when the company that makes the game ignores every other playerbase playing then the crybaby casuals

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by CrunkJuice2
    " because if WoW has anything its more endgame / high level content then most games will ever have."
    thats funny,people arent making it up when they say cataclysm has a lack of content.if anything,99 percent of other mmorpgs will have a crapton of more content
    but i guess you get lack of content when the company that makes the game ignores every other playerbase playing then the crybaby casuals

So WoW having 9 Heroic mode dungeons in Cata and SWTOR having 7 accessible HM mode instances is SWTOR having more endgame content. That is just the entry endgame content.

Looking at the raids you have. Thrones of the Four Winds, Baradin Hold, Blackwing Descent, The Bastion of Twilight, Firelands, and Dragon Soul. A total of 31 Bosses. All are both 10 and 25 man raids.

Also between 80-85 you have 13 Dungeons you can run (not counting heroics). And that is just the 80-85 bracket.

Should I continue to go on explaining how WoW indeed does have more endgame / high end content then SWTOR.

WoW also has a total of 27 raids from level 60 to 85. 65 different dungeons to use for leveling up with from level 15+

Source: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/zone/#expansion=3

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

"Should I continue to go on explaining how WoW indeed does have more endgame / high end content then SWTOR."

ya,continue blabbering on your ignorance.but whatever,games probably not gonna be worth playing in less then 6 months anyway for people who actually care about pvp with the direction the pvp seems to be going.but i guess thats what you get when you hire in a company that has more negative responses ive seen by people then positive

unless mythic really wasnt that bad of a company(i never played warhammer but everyone seems to think mythic drove the game into the ground pvp wise).cuz i dont know,i know from what ive seen as far as forums go alot of people way overdramatize things.the only thing ive seen so far that looks stupid is the vote kick thing in warzones and that retarded bag for pvp reward system but apparently there changing that