Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - Mass info for the uninitiated

Comments

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Originally posted by Kuinn

First of all, very nice job OP, thank you :)

GW2 seems mostly very good indeed, but I have a few concerns. One being the weapon swapping, I knew it was in the game, but I did not know that I absolutely must do that in order to be "competitive" in combat situations. Are you absolutely sure about this? I really do not wish to be required to adhd-weapon swap in order to do as much damage as the adhd-weapon swapping guy next to me. If it just adds to my utility then it's fine, but if I absolutely must do it in order to do as much damage as I can for example in a world boss event, then I'm very dissapointed, I hope someone can clarify a bit on this one?

In RPG's I generally like to choose my favourite weapon/spell school/etc, that's why I like class based games to begin with. Like, I might want to make a warrior in GW2, and just because of my personal preference and because of some roleplaying, my warrior is a 2-handed axe wielding Norn, that's his main weapon of choise. Can I play him using mostly only the 2h axe and still be as effective as the other warrior next to me who uses 13 different weapons in a fight?

I really dont see the point of this system, you could just unlock the abilities and then build your own hotbars as you like, limiting only stuff based on if it's ranged or melee. I'd rather AOE with my 2h axe rather than having to swap to a hammer in middle of fight just to be able to AOE, why?

The biggest advantage of the weapon swap system is how it consolidates your action bars.  In many MMOs, you eventually obtain an absurd number of spells, each of which must be bound to it's own slot.  Take the elementalist, for example.  You bind spells 1-5 and your 4 attunements.  That's a total of 9 keybinds that open the door to 20 abilities.  Much more convenient than binding 20 different keys, or likely resorting to clicking. 

Moreover, this actually makes spell casting more fun.  This is a subjective analysis, I know, but I think more and more people will agree once they give it a try.  I actually look to a non-MMO for an exampl of this kind of combat: the champion Nidalee in League of Legends.  She has 3 abilities in her human form, and 3 in cougar form.  The 4th ability, her "ultimate," swaps her between forms on a 9 or so cooldown.  This creates the potential for fun self "combos" that requires a little bit of skill and feels very rewarding when executed properly.  You might want to pounce forward to close the gap betrween you and your enemy while in cougar form, swipe once at him, quickly swap to human form to heal yourself and launch a spear toss.  It feels very fluid.  And it seems like every GW2 class will have the same potential. 

I think you should start treating your weapon swap button as an active ability itself.  And it has nothing to do with adhd gameplay.   It's simply more convenient, and potentially more fun and rewarding. 

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by hulik23

I´ve searched a lot but never found satisfying answer - Ranger. What are the differences between mini pets and pets? That dog in demo was mini pet? Only for human race? Is there a fetch emote/command for dogs? If none above was mentioned I guess we will find out but I´m curious right now.

Minipets are non-combat pets that anyone can use and will just follow the player around.  They're pretty much just a collectable that looks cute.

The Ranger, on the other hand, has a permanent animal companion that is integrated into their gameplay.  It's one of that profession's defining features.  They can tame a variety of them and each type has a unique ability.

Here's a wiki page listing the different varieties that we know about so far.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Animal_companion

Your pet is also part of a ranger's biography, but it might only affect your choice of initial pet, not your personal storyline.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Biography#Ranger

The dog in the demo (not sure which video you're talking about) was almost certainly a ranger pet as it's one of their biography options for a human.  Any race should be able to tame one out in the wild, but only a human has the option to start with one.

I don't know of any fetch emote.  WoW appears to have a fetch ball available as an item so it's not out of the realm of possibility.  http://www.wowhead.com/item=37431/fetch-ball

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

I've read this and Im still not really getting it :(

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by jayanti

ok, read it. Still looks like a lobby game with korean style graphics and a pay2win system. Still dont get the hype. Sorry :(

Of course you don't get the hype,you never will.

Using one of your own lines..

GW2 is a colourful beat-em up made for teenagers with low attention spans,think that's near enough what you said,correct me if i missed a part or got it wrong.image

• nomad3dnomad3d Member Posts: 11

Thanks for the great info! You just made up my mind for me that I will indeed be giving this game a try when it comes out.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

seriously TL/DR.

imageimage
  • ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

OP thats one hell of a post you did there, thanks for all that info - you sure your not a covert wage slave for them?

all that info must have taken a while to dig up, makes the game look even more interesting

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

Great info. You really did big job. Respect.  image

• Shad8wShad8w Member Posts: 1

If ANet deliver against this description I will be a very happy and engaged player for a long time to come. Thanks to the OP for a very well written and informative post.

DAOC 10/10 | WOW 9/10 | GW1 8/10 | WAR 6/10 | EVE 8/10 | GW2 n/10

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Good info OP, thanks!

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

I may be in the minority, but dodging in combat sucks......IT gets old fast and is really one of my least favorite activities...TO be honest I'd rather just stand toe to toe and duke it out......DO people really want to go on the battlefield and see 500 people jumping around like a box of jumping beans?

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Theocritus

I may be in the minority, but dodging in combat sucks......IT gets old fast and is really one of my least favorite activities...TO be honest I'd rather just stand toe to toe and duke it out......DO people really want to go on the battlefield and see 500 people jumping around like a box of jumping beans?

I couldn't say, I haven't tried the game out yet. Only time will tell how it goes. image

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Some people do, yeah.  After all the years of "just standing", I certainly welcome the need to move.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Theres going to be an awful lot of people or what I like to call them; Baddies, that are going to stand there and duke it out and then proceed to bitch and moan because they got their arse handed to them by a regular mob.

With that being said, even though I think Tera is a horrible game, its nice to see games like GW2, Tera and soon to be released Neverwinter coming out with atypical combat.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Even though I already knew almost everything in this  I really do have to give a big +internets for taking the time to do this.

Kudos to you.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Theres going to be an awful lot of people or what I like to call them; Baddies, that are going to stand there and duke it out and then proceed to bitch and moan because they got their arse handed to them by a regular mob.

With that being said, even though I think Tera is a horrible game, its nice to see games like GW2, Tera and soon to be released Neverwinter coming out with atypical combat.

You've already seen loads of these on GW2 forums all over the internet. They're the ones who say certain classes are weak or broken cause they keep dying, when in realiity they aren't dodging or thinking. No, I lie. They are thinking, but their thinking in the old MMO ways of just stand there and DPS/Tank. It is probably impossible for 90% of the MMO population to adjust and thrive in the GW2 world which is truly sad.

I honestly love the dodging. My only real critisim is 2 dodges then its on cooldown is really annoying and feels like you should be allowed 1-2 more. But then again, learning to use your dodges correctly then using abilities to gain distance and survive is what the game is about.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

holy crap this is what i call MASSIVE info....

• kartanakartana Member UncommonPosts: 148

Just one question: If I preorder now, I get a preorder code right (like Swtor etc)? This is not the key that unlocks the retail game later?

I'm asking because I really would like to try out the game and if I don't like it could give the retail key away.

• ElifiaElifia Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by kartana
    Just one question: If I preorder now, I get a preorder code right (like Swtor etc)? This is not the key that unlocks the retail game later?
    I'm asking because I really would like to try out the game and if I don't like it could give the retail key away.

Well, first of all, pre-order doesn't get you anything, you need to pre-purchase.

If I understood right, pre-purchasing gives you a code which creates an account, which can be used for the beta but is also your account for live.
    However, you do get a second code (at launch). You can play for 5 days with the first code, but after that you need to upgrade your account with the second code.

I advise you to check this link, it's the FAQ on the official site.

Lastly, if you just want to try the game, why not wait till after launch? There's bound to be some kind of free trial at some point.

"I'll lead, you follow."

• NitronoddyNitronoddy Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Fantastic heads up for any interested party...have to say that since reading your article I've gone from "maybe I'll buy it to HAVE to buy it.." Thanks
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I didn't see housing or even guild housing listed, bummer. Without that or even a decent appearance tab(dye is a weak choice). Not to mention nothing was said about hobbies like fishing or any kind of fluff content for RP'rs. GW2 looks like it will turn out to be just another eye-candy mmo with no immersion.  Dissapointing to say the least.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Czanrei

I didn't see housing or even guild housing listed, bummer. Without that or even a decent appearance tab(dye is a weak choice). Not to mention nothing was said about hobbies like fishing or any kind of fluff content for RP'rs. GW2 looks like it will turn out to be just another eye-candy mmo with no immersion.  Dissapointing to say the least.

No housing and fishing :(

I like to fish and then hang the biggest ones in the house.

Or catch rare fish and sell them.

Or hunt for cool furniture for the house.

Just random stuff to do if I don't feel like questing or combat.

• • Level Scaling – You never have to worry about your friend being too high of a level for you to play with him, you can sidekick up to his level or he can sidekick down to yours so you guys can play together no matter each others level.

Alas, you cannot. This feature was originally intended to be in the game, but they removed it. You can, of course, scale down. In fact it's automatic.

• TshoberTshober Member Posts: 24

Lots of info!  Thanks!

In reading about the races in GW2, there was no mention of any specific racial attributes beyond appearance.  What advantages/disadvantages do each race have?  How does race affect your character's abilities?  Or is race just an elaborate cosmetic effect in GW2?

• trahetrahe Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by Tshober

Lots of info!  Thanks!

In reading about the races in GW2, there was no mention of any specific racial attributes beyond appearance.  What advantages/disadvantages do each race have?  How does race affect your character's abilities?  Or is race just an elaborate cosmetic effect in GW2?

Race doesn't have characteristic boosts but it is very important.  Pick a look you like - that's the most important thing.  Really, you don't even have to play in their starting area.  Cosmetic choice only unless you have a story to tell with your character. 

For instance, my Ranger is a Norn - a huge beefy guy with a mohawk and a claw mark across his face.  His look inspires me to play him in an aggressive way.  At level 6 I was killing things in a level 10 area.  He's a big, ugly, tough son of a gun. 

Not really sure if I would play another "look" the same.