Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

90% will play Charr.

Comments

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Fancy

I'm not a troll, just posting my honest opinion, sorry if I offended you with it. I don't like animal looking characters, that's all. Sorry for my word usage, English is not my native language.

i'm with you, won't play a char no matter what. Just not my cup of tea. Probably won't touch a boukah boy either.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Warjin

Any bets?

I for one will be playing a Human, but as trends dictate Charr is the (AkA) Bad-Ass.

Side Question, the 3 Orders that you can join in this game will they be picked apone character creation or later on, also will those 3 factions will be at war with each other or can anyone attack anyone no matter the faction? The reason I ask is I am trying to predict what Order will be the Horde/Sith faction because I don't want to be apart of that, I enjoy the underdog.

Well first off there are no factions.  All races on the SAME server are friendly to each other.

Secondly the WvW is pitting servers vs servers.

thirdly I would take any bets but I WILL go out on a limb and state that Sylvari will be the highest populated race followed closely by Humans.  I Char as a middle of the road type of race as alot of people have no intentions of playing one.  I know I dont because for one I hate big races and secondly I dislike non-human'ish races.  My friend is planning on playing a Char but me and a couple other in my groups are planing on playing Norn or Human.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Actually if you follow the forums on GW2Guru, which has a far larger portion of the game's community, most people are split between Sylvari and Human. Charr does have a pretty good amount of potential players, though. I don't think it's that they're animals that keeps them from being the most popular race, I think it's that they're so brusque. If this was an Open PvP game, they'd be the race all the gankers choose, but that's not the mentality of the majority of gamers.

Oddly, I'm finding Norn are the least popular. If I had to guess, it's more like Human > Sylvari > Charr > Asura > Norn right now.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Yet another example of peoples' tendency to translate their own opinion or perspective as that of the majority. 

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

I wouldn't put too much faith in that chart from GW2 census. The one i created at the site was slightly different.

Asura - 16.1%

Charr - 15.4%

Human - 31.4%

Norn - 16.8%

Sylvari - 20.3%

Though it could be a safe bet that humans will take a larger portion of the pie with the other races being more equal in proportion to each other.

Archlinux ftw

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by FreeBooteR

I wouldn't put too much faith in that chart from GW2 census. The one i created at the site was slightly different.

Asura - 16.1%

Charr - 15.4%

Human - 31.4%

Norn - 16.8%

Sylvari - 20.3%

Though it could be a safe bet that humans will take a larger portion of the pie with the other races being more equal in proportion to each other.

thank you!Someone else trying to get ppl to stop looking at the chart.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Im going Asura or Sylvari

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by Kuppa

Ditto, I'll prolly roll both though, but my first character will definitely be Sylvari.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Khrymson

Ditto, I'll prolly roll both though, but my first character will definitely be Sylvari.

Sylvari what? Im going Sylvari Sin and Asura Necro

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Being a PvP focused game i'm pretty sure a large amount of players will pick the smallest characters out of habit even if hit boxes are all the same.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Kabaal

Being a PvP focused game i'm pretty sure a large amount of players will pick the smallest characters out of habit even if hit boxes are all the same.

Well, perhaps the Asura look annoying enough to prevent that.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    Originally posted by star

Factions are picked mid game (around level 35 iirc) and they are NOT at war with one another. They all seek to end the dragons, and are attempting to do so in different was from one another.

And my main race?
    See my sig ;)

Um.. factions? The game has no factions. Besides the Charr Legions and you chose that at character creation. Where did you hear or read that the game had factions?

On topic, Sylvari Elementalist for my main. Probably Scepter/Dagger. Has a good mix of heavy hitting, protective, healing and escape spells.

• JazKW347JazKW347 Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by Kabaal

This game is not PVP focused dude........

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by Fion

Originally posted by star

Factions are picked mid game (around level 35 iirc) and they are NOT at war with one another. They all seek to end the dragons, and are attempting to do so in different was from one another.

And my main race?

See my sig ;)

Um.. factions? The game has no factions. Besides the Charr Legions and you chose that at character creation. Where did you hear or read that the game had factions? On topic, Sylvari Elementalist for my main. Probably Scepter/Dagger. Has a good mix of heavy hitting, protective, healing and escape spells.

She's talking about the Orders.  http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Order

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by Khrymson

Sylvari what? Im going Sylvari Sin and Asura Necro

I don't know yet.  I've watched several class videos and while a few of them have some interesting things about them, I've not read up on any of them in-depth enough to choose.  Nor have I played GW1 yet, so I don't what any of the classes really are or specialize in.  Once it gets closer to launch I'll look into it more...

• ThrageThrage Member Posts: 200

I've never understood the "I'm human in real life, why would I want to play one in an MMO?" argument.

Sure, you may be human, but are you ANYTHING AT ALL like the kind of human you'd be making?  Are you highly athletic, with perfect hair and chiseled abs?  My guess is you're either stick-thin or a little on the doughy side.  And no, don't respond with "I work out and look amazing," or "I'm a bikini model," because you're full of it.  Maybe you're a dude and you want to play a female human, or the other way around?  That's a perfectly viable option that many gamers take.

You can make all types of humans in GW2.  I seriously doubt many people at all are going to make one that is exactly like them in every way (within reason).  Even human players are definitely playing something they are most certainly not in reality.

That said, I'm incredibly sick of almost every GW2 video featuring Charr, but mostly because I personally have zero interest in the race whatsoever.  I'll be busting kneecaps as an Asura.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Originally posted by Bunks

this was based on 8820 people polled so far on Guru

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/gw2census-com-character-pie-charts-t21267.html

Warhammer polls before launch had it almost 50-50 for factions. SWTOR had Empire and Republic almost even split and both pre-launch numbers were way off. Fan base and live numbers dont seem to balance out at all. 

So much of it depends on factors that you don't find out until after the game is released though...

For example, in SWTOR, I think players "figured out" that the Empire storylines were by and large more interesting than the Republic ones, so they all flocked to Empire.

If people find out that the racial ability of the Norn in GW2 is awesome, or that the starting area of the Asura is amazing, then they may flock to those races as well.  So it's hard to predict where people will go before they have a chance to play the game.

True and bookmarked thanks for the chart, interesting indeed.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Asura for me. By far my favorite NPC race in GW, so can't wait to play as one.

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

Norn most likely for me.

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Thrage

Sure, you may be human, but are you ANYTHING AT ALL like the kind of human you'd be making?  Are you highly athletic, with perfect hair and chiseled abs?  My guess is you're either stick-thin or a little on the doughy side.  And no, don't respond with "I work out and look amazing," or "I'm a bikini model," because you're full of it.  Maybe you're a dude and you want to play a female human, or the other way around?  That's a perfectly viable option that many gamers take.

So if I work out I can't like games? This is interesting, I never knew the two were mutually exclusive.

I always pick humans in MMOs for the fantasy experience and try to make them look close like the real life me. That way, it feels like I'm the one saving the world from dragons.

Anyway, the races are GW2 are a bit uninspired. Asura are your basic gnomes but with an attitude, unappealing to me. Norn are just bigger humans with different beliefs. I'm mostly interested in the Charr for the kick-ass voiceating and the Sylvari because elves are cool, and plant-elves are cooler. But at the end of the day, if I'm doing something for 100+ hours, I want it to resemble me, not a plant, cow, gnome, giant  or female. Just me I guess.

• Vore_TechzVore_Techz Member Posts: 122

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/gw2census-com-character-pie-charts-t21267.html

I am extremely suprised that there are so few Asura....

I will likely be Human or Sylvari maybe if I can create one I am happy with....

Then again I will likely make one of each! LOL! XD

(>^_^)> MMO Veteran <(^_^<)
    Currently Playing: Tera Online

• KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334

With no offense meant to the original poster, non-scientific polling is non-generalizable (I am sure as we all know by now).

• KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334

Originally posted by Thrage

I've never understood the "I'm human in real life, why would I want to play one in an MMO?" argument.

You can make all types of humans in GW2.  I seriously doubt many people at all are going to make one that is exactly like them in every way (within reason).  Even human players are definitely playing something they are most certainly not in reality.

That said, I'm incredibly sick of almost every GW2 video featuring Charr, but mostly because I personally have zero interest in the race whatsoever.  I'll be busting kneecaps as an Asura.

There's a good deal of research on avatar choice in the journal of cyberpsychology wand even a few books out there which makes for a fun read if you're into that kind of stuff. Needless to seople play different characters in MMORPGs for very different reasons. I for one, being a RPer will usually avoid humans as I find them dull and the less hummans I see the more immersed I feel =)

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

@Volko

I'm so, so sorry.

Did you not get the memo? That's not the role of the asura, not any more. If you've been following the media then you'll know that you're 'adorable,' giggly, goofy little people who like to sing, dance, and create 'whacky' robots. You don't have the Mesoamerican stylings or culture any more, either. You've left all that behind for goggles and life on the Exodar.

I really am very sorry. Really, I am.

I'm glad that a fate this horrible hasn't befallen the charr. The charr still have their dignity, thankfully. And thus it's the charr that I'll be throwing my lot in with. I am actually really sad about what they did to the asura.

I liked them.

I liked Vekk.

These asura? Gnomes. Just gnomes.

I am so sorry.

• Zeref.DyverZeref.Dyver Member Posts: 270

I won't even be making one Charr. I think they look really awful.