Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Archeage "Rift style" invasion events

IrondustIrondust Member Posts: 29

Maybe you don't know, but Archeage introduced invasion events, same as Rifts system from Rift. With some chance in random location spawns portal, which summons waves of monsters and raid boss. Right now, it is 5 waves. Comparing to Rift, invasions are much more challenging - You need about 100+ well-organized players to defeat last monsters and boss. 

Here is some footage of the first invasion testing: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09jT9GKeeuE

And screenshots:

Comments

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

These look quite nice, i'm not a fan of Archeages combat, it's pretty drab but with all the content they might have I could still really enjoy myself on this game.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

I did like Rift's events but I wish they were more epic in difficulty and scale.  It is a tough balancing act to make them difficult and make people want to do play them over and over. To do so I think diffcult invasions/events that require an entire server to defeat need to be  rare or it simply will not work.  But Archeage being primarily an eastern game that has an audience with a longer attention span maybe can get away with greater difficulty than  game targetted at western adhad audiences.   I wish Rift would implement diffcult rare events with consequences and benefits for failure and success.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

Originally posted by Pivotelite

These look quite nice, i'm not a fan of Archeages combat, it's pretty drab but with all the content they might have I could still really enjoy myself on this game.

It is also far off and not fully optimized yet. Obviously combat is going to get fixed with all the time they still have to make the game.....

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Irondust
    Maybe you don't know, but Archeage introduced invasion events, same as Rifts system from Rift. With some chance in random location spawns portal, which summons waves of monsters and raid boss. Right now, it is 5 waves. Comparing to Rift, invasions are much more challenging - You need about 100+ well-organized players to defeat last monsters and boss. 
    Here is some footage of the first invasion testing: 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09jT9GKeeuE
    And screenshots:

Why...?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

TERA is also doing Rifts...

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

That's all nice and good but they should probably start copying GW2 approach to questing imo.

Not that I wouldn't love to see rift like invasions in those two games, mind you.

• IrondustIrondust Member Posts: 29

Rifts in Tera is not a game mechanic. They can't open in random areas

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Rifts in Tera is not a game mechanic. They can't open in random areas

Rifts in Rift don't open in random areas.  Each area has several preplaced areas a rift can open up in making it seem random when it's really not.  

This just makes ArcheAge seem even more epic.  

Release in NA already!!

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Why can russians play already ? or is it some free accounts for press and review sites ?

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

They set up a mass access to KSSN's and use proxy servers to get access.

Makes me jealous, lol. So I just read thier boards and watch their videos. Really good info so far, but some seems to have been data-mined from the client and not yet actually in game.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Why is everyone pretending that Rift was the first MMO to have NPC invasions?

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

So many upcoming games with good taste in how to make open world content great. Also Rift did do something unique. The enemy faction in Rift is not just some off the wall thing hidden in a raid. It comes out and kills your quest givers and shuts down your zone.

The issue with people is they are masochist and want the zone to be permanently shut down. I am SOOOOOOO GLAD Trion did not listen you guys and ruin the game. One can hope tera and Archage hold strong against these masochist.

Archage just moved up on my roster of anticipated games.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Garvon3

Why is everyone pretending that Rift was the first MMO to have NPC invasions?

Because people want to think they know it all when they say crap like that.

IMO, City of Heroes Rikti invasions were fun.

:D

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by Puremallace

So many upcoming games with good taste in how to make open world content great. Also Rift did do something unique. The enemy faction in Rift is not just some off the wall thing hidden in a raid. It comes out and kills your quest givers and shuts down your zone.

That's not unique... That's been done since 1999. Asheron's Call, EverQuest, City of Heroes, even Tabula Rasa had it.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

That's not unique... That's been done since 1999. Asheron's Call, EverQuest, even Tabula Rasa had it.

Really seriously what enemy faction in EQ? Yeah let me tell you now there was a feature to group up into massive raid and start public quest.

Here is the deifnition of inovation for you:

in·no·va·tion

   [in-uh-vey-shuhn] Show IPA

noun

something new or different introduced: numerous innovations in the high-school curriculum.

the act of innovating;  introduction of new things or methods.

Now we have two devs so far looking at what Trion did in Rift and going after it because it is actually simple and should have been introduced years ago in this form, but noone wanted to.

Originally posted by Puremallace

That's not unique... That's been done since 1999. Asheron's Call, EverQuest, even Tabula Rasa had it.

Really seriously what enemy faction in EQ? Yeah let me tell you now there was a feature to group up into massive raid and start public quest.

Here is the deifnition of inovation for you:

in·no·va·tion

   [in-uh-vey-shuhn] Show IPA

noun

something new or different introduced: numerous innovations in the high-school curriculum.

the act of innovating;  introduction of new things or methods.

Now we have two devs so far looking at what Trion did in Rift and going after it because it is actually simple and should have been introduced years ago in this form, but noone wanted to.

Right.. and I said, it's not new. It's been done before, even in exactly the same way, in quite a few MMORPGs. EQ. Tabula Rasa. WAR. AC. CoH.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

While EQ1 didn't have an enemy faction per se, when you did things like the Veloius era 10th Coldain Ring event, if you failed to kill all the attacking waves of giants,  then the city of Thurgadin would be killed off and would take a while to respawn.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

Originally posted by Xasapis

That's all nice and good but they should probably start copying GW2 approach to questing imo.

Not that I wouldn't love to see rift like invasions in those two games, mind you.

Ummm No thanks. At least I do a quest and it is over. I mean things are cool the first or second time. After that.... will anyone really be interested in saving the city or the bridge or whatever is being attacked? Is it really going to seem that innovative three months into the game when it is happening for the millionth time? Will anyone but a noob care? This is why I am sceptical about dynamic events. I guess I will have to wait and see.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Actually it is unique.  You guys just want to be haters, that's all.  Rift developed the first MMO game system that runs itself when it comes to invasions.  You can all claim other games have done it, but you'd simply be lying.  Those other games had invasions, but they were staged by GM's and planned for months.  Rift has autonomous events run by a game system that doesn't actually need help from a GM.  This is why it is so popular, causing other companies to take notice and design their own version of it.  It is a unique, revolutionary system in the MMO market.

I like the idea in other games, but I do caution developers from making the choice of adding it.  Does it really fit the lore of the game you are adding it to?  Does it make sense?  It needs to make sense in the game world, otherwise it's just a copy and paste.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

Originally posted by Xasapis

Ummm No thanks. At least I do a quest and it is over. I mean things are cool the first or second time. After that.... will anyone really be interested in saving the city or the bridge or whatever is being attacked? Is it really going to seem that innovative three months into the game when it is happening for the millionth time? Will anyone but a noob care? This is why I am sceptical about dynamic events. I guess I will have to wait and see.

it will end up like Rifts in Rift.  It will be very cool for the first month or so, and then it will get repetitive and boring. 

• PKJackCrowPKJackCrow Member Posts: 231

Also eq1 had unique incounters in the form of GM events.

• IrondustIrondust Member Posts: 29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeiPTq7aSFc 

I found a better video, much more epic

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeiPTq7aSFc 

I found a better video, much more epic

That's insane, surely that's just a stress test mechanism.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725

A big confusing invasion with aoes and you're pking fo so. Even with rift, you heal someone marked, become flagged and now youre aoe pwned. How do truces hold out until the invasion is over?

Edit: NVM could see in the video they had to take refuge and naturally clumped together.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I like to think of them more like AC invasions instead of Rifts copy of that. They where more epic anyway.