Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Four Worlds Ripe for MMO Treatment

Comments

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Another one I think would be good could be based on the computer animated TV series Shadowraiders. The show has been cancelled for a while (Booh! Hiss!) but there is a LOT there to work with MMO-wise. Four initial races based on primary elements (Fire, Ice, Rock and Bone), plus the Beast Planet. You could have fleet battles, politics between the various races, do resource raids since each planet doesn't produce enough of various resources, etc...the MMO could be based before the series, so during the resource wars, or perhaps just after the series ended and the Beast Planet shows up again since it was able to absorb the warp engine technology of the prison world.

Where's the any key?

• soulmirrorsoulmirror Member UncommonPosts: 124

Hands down...

The series Rings of the Master by Jack Chalker.  Mankind invents a super-computer and imbedded in it's programming is the rule to save mankind.  The computer takes out all other technology, reverting earth to the 14th? century and then transforming man to colonize space, thereby "saving" mankind.  Four books in the series and a great read.  This series is so ripe for a MMO conversion, not only the layout of the worlds, time and the plot, throwing in the controlling computer for spice.

"Long ago, the machines had rebelled, wiping out most of humanity and exiling the survivors in widely scattered reservations. Master System ruled unchallenged, the key to breaking its power -- five microchips disguised as gold rings, carefully hidden away. But then an Amerindian called Hawks stumbled across information about the five rings, and suddenly Master System developed an interest in seeing Hawks dead . . ."

http://www.librarything.com/series/Rings+of+the+Master

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_L._Chalker

• DeeMarieDeeMarie Member Posts: 21

Night Watch was brilliant, even if the storylines became a little confusing later on (for me) both films were great too.

My IP vote will always go to a Stargate MMO - one that gets made and delivered that is. So much potential :)

• karter64karter64 Member UncommonPosts: 96

Originally posted by Keogh

• Riverworld

My first thought was of Riverworld, but I never expected to see it in the thread. I was quite surprised to see it in the first post.

I was also thinking of a series by the same author (Phillip Jose Farmer) where the world was to crowded so everyone could only be animated one day a week and the other six days they were put in a state of suspended animation. Of course some of the people figure out a way to get around it. Can't recall the name of of the series, think it was Dayworld, or something, but I see a lot of potential for that.

• karter64karter64 Member UncommonPosts: 96

How about a Dayworld MMO. The future setting is an overpopulated world so humans are put in a state of suspended animation for six days out of the week, and are allowed to live one day a week, thus only 1/7th of the worlds population is active at any given time. Of course the main plot of the stories are people that figure out how to get around the suspended animation to be active on the days they should be asleep.

Written by Phillip Jose Farmer who wrote Riverworld. (I tried putting this in my quote of Keoughs post, but must have goofed up.)

Soulmirror, I really enjoyed Rings of the Masters. That would be a good choice too.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

The world of Lone Wolf (Magnamund).

• golabgolab Member UncommonPosts: 21

Eclipse Phase or Cthulhutech.

"As a foulness ya shall know them."

• MartinmasMartinmas Member UncommonPosts: 239

Deadwood or some other Old West setting. I think it would have to be a full sandbox style game. Having too much of the world already built would take away the best aspect of the setting which would be building your own towns and businesses.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

I tried to come up with some answers, but the thought of seeing another IP that I love and cherish being destroyed by the likes of EA or ATARI just seems unforgivable.

If I were to list one favorite old school Playstation game that I wouldnt mind seeing fleshed out into a MMO, it would be "Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen".  However, I can't see the replayability in something like that. 

The only things that stand out for me that would make it unique would be that the player has to level and unlock new skills in order to reach new areas and solve new puzzles to progress further in the game.

I could see the choice between becoming a "Good Vampire" by feeding only off of evil creatures, and a "Bad Vampire" who feeds off helpless humans being a pivotal feature, with good and evil townships that are safe-havens for each, but then it gets into the murky waters of being another clone based on factions, and that's getting stale unless you throw more than two factions into the mix (ala DAoC). 

But we already have CCCP's "World of Darkness" based on Vampire: The Masquerade on the way, so the vampire thing is already being done.

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

I didn't read all the comments but did see the words Shadowrun, Rifts and Pokemon plus the article said Magic which I would love to see all of them as well done MMOs but not sure if they would be.

Since playing videogames and reading the books about planeswalkers then Magic does seem like it could be a lot of fun if you actually had to go and recruit creatures and learn spells and make connections with the lands.

Pokemon seems like one that should be so good to do. With the ability to do battles, contests, training, breeding and all the other activities then that would be one that seems to offer so many options. Enough lands with championship battles that could actually have large events ever few months.

Rifts just has so much stuff that could be used. 

Shadowrun is one that I am not sure how well it would work but sounds interesting with Rigging and Decking combined with bioware and cyberware with magic being alive but seems like it would be more of a heavily instanced game with potential PvP missions but still small numbers of people.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

The only decent MMO adaption was Star Wars Galaxies. Let's please stop trying. They never work. The more money that goes into an MMO, the more boring and disappointing it becomes.

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

The World of Ravenloft: Done with the Mists and all

Farscape/Firefly/ Homeworld/ Mass Effect: A scifi MMO that can manage to mix grit into the fantastic is sorely needed.

Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series: Multiple branches of magic in sprawling areas with multiple hostile races/ furies in the setting of the Roman Empire.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Originally posted by PyrateLV

No, No, No..just NO!

Look, I know you guys need something to write an acticle about, but these "What IP/World would make a good MMORPG?"  discussions arent helping move the genre forward.

In fact I believe it contributes to holding it back.

We dont need any more established IPs becoming MMOs. They all fail.

Putting up articles like this, and having people respond with their own ides, just adds fuel to the wildfire that is substandard and shallow MMOs because it gives game companies the idea that we the players would prefer them over something original.

Please, please, please! Game Development Companies! Create something unique to you. Not something already thought up by someone else.

Original MMO Worlds > Pre-established IP Worlds

Just because you have a famous IP doesn't mean you can't have good gameplay too. The fault is with gamedevs/companies take the easy/less risky route, not IP vs original creation.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I'd like to see an MMO set in a distant,melancholy future ala Philip K. Dickian style.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I always thought that Vampire Earth would make a good MMO setting.

Quislings vs Territorials

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

WHEEL OF TIME!!!! WHY?!?!1 Because you couldnt handle it! The world is to massive!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• LiltawenLiltawen Member UncommonPosts: 245

I loved the Watch books. It could be very interesting: in the 4th book they had progressive layers of the gloom-you could have PVP maps that would get progressively  more difficult to master or something. And of course the whole Alan Wake flashlight thing is straight out of it.

When the films came out I bought a very strange Russian RPG based on it -running around Moscow hunting vampires and shape-shifters.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by ropenice

Originally posted by PyrateLV

No, No, No..just NO!

Look, I know you guys need something to write an acticle about, but these "What IP/World would make a good MMORPG?"  discussions arent helping move the genre forward.

In fact I believe it contributes to holding it back.

We dont need any more established IPs becoming MMOs. They all fail.

Putting up articles like this, and having people respond with their own ides, just adds fuel to the wildfire that is substandard and shallow MMOs because it gives game companies the idea that we the players would prefer them over something original.

Please, please, please! Game Development Companies! Create something unique to you. Not something already thought up by someone else.

Original MMO Worlds > Pre-established IP Worlds

Just because you have a famous IP doesn't mean you can't have good gameplay too. The fault is with gamedevs/companies take the easy/less risky route, not IP vs original creation.

The more money that goes into something (the licensing fees and critical attention) the more likely a game is to be a boring WoW clone like LotRO, Age of Conan, or SWTOR. I've only ever see one adaption that worked out and it was SWG, and even that game had huge issues (even before NGE)

• rissiesrissies Member Posts: 161

The Wild Cards series would make an amazing super hero MMO

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462

* Harry Potter  (Durrrrr)

* DAOC 2  (Please!!!!!!!)

* Star Trek  (Because STO doesn't do it justice)

* Big Trouble in Little China  (Oh yea...you know you'd be on that like white on rice!)

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Gotta agree with Harry Potter

I would die if i heard of a Resident Evil MMO (think of it like outbreak but good because you can actually communicate)

Grand Theft Auto/Saints Row style MMO that doesnt require missions for PVP. (talking about you APB)

Nobunaga's Ambision or Bushido Blade (these titles may be a little old for you Youngins)

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by EveJunkie

A proper shadowrun mmo would be awesome. a few games have taken insiration from it but none have actually used the real ip and game concepts.

This

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

ill agree with Shadowrun, so long as they have permadeath. if no permadeath in the game then its not shadowrun.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• TheNitewolfTheNitewolf Member Posts: 102

Shadowrun would be great, but I doubt they'd ever manage to create something that comes even close to its potential, so we might be better off without it.

Also quite ironic how half the suggestions by the writer in a column titled "No Elves Allowed" has elves in it.

My Signature

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

I feel it would be worthwhile for SBFord (the OP and MMORPG.com staffer) to do a follow up article once this thread runs its course.

I suggest SBFord create a poll to measure the popularity of the diffrent properties mentioned in this thread. Then research a few of the more popular ideas along with some of the more unusual ones and describe those properties and what a game based on them might look like.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)