Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Pokket's TERA Beta Impressions

Comments

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by Ichmen

after watching the beta videos of tera im not really sold on it.. i like the customization but at the same time given the limited sliders you will still get doppogangers which kinda makes it less unique...

and the combat really doesnt look fluid at all.. too much like a button mash then any sort of action fighting.. 

Please don't comment on this without playing first. I have played and can tell you, not only can you choose a premade face, but then you can adjust, bone structure, nose, eyes, ears, etc. With all the options, it will be RARE to find someone who looks exactly like you. Try to get in the next beta and you will see. 

Also, in regards to the combat, again, you should try it before commenting, cause the combat in game is extremely fluid. Like I have said, the game is not perfect, but it's pretty damn good so far. 

You can put 5 smackers down at gamestop and pre-order and get in all the betas. Then if you don't like it, cancel and move your 5 to another game. 

• stormseekazstormseekaz Member UncommonPosts: 168

What does she say at the very end of the video?    " I'll Troll ?"   or   "Altro?"  or "LOTRO?"

its driving me nuts someone enlighten me

• mugengaiamugengaia Member Posts: 347

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbtAi5omYIM 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMb70EodQqM&feature=related 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpdqT2tiQyo&feature=related 

So are those supposed to be boring and delayed skillshots?  Looks a lot more twitch + reward and punishment based combat, not the same ol lame ol watch cooldown, spam 1,2,3,4.  If you're telling me WoW's any different than spam 1,2,3,4, I know occasionally you look at the enemy CD and counter spell etc.  Same ol lame ol shit to me. 

Although Tera combat seems a lot more complex than this girl explains, I guess they also couldn't balance the pvp between melee and ranged classes.

GRIND sucks? You wanna be max level in a month?
    Since when did society award easy-goers and lazy-fools?
    MAKES ME PHOBIC OF STUPIDITY!

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Did anyone else find it disturbing that during the female character creation, the character's um... bosoms, kept heaving and she seemed to panting like crazy?

We, the living, call that sort of thing "breathing", Bill. ^_^

I dont know about you but I dont move that much when I breath.  When I watched it, I couldnt help but keep asking myself why the avatars were moving so much.  I can only imagine it is an excuse to make the breasts move for the perv's.  Sadly, boobs do sell games.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by stormseekaz

What does she say at the very end of the video?    " I'll Troll ?"   or   "Altro?"  or "LOTRO?"

its driving me nuts someone enlighten me

Out-tro. The opposite of intro. Euhm...yeah. *shrug*

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Another short-lived WoW knockoff. I'll pass.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Did anyone else find it disturbing that during the female character creation, the character's um... bosoms, kept heaving and she seemed to panting like crazy?

It's a cartoon.  See some stuff in real life, then cartoons suddenly become less 'disturbing'.

I find some of the artwork in Tera really beautiful.  It is disturbing how many really poor artists are involved in mmo production.  There are some great artists that stand out though and to them I salute.

• arm0sarm0s Member UncommonPosts: 12

readin all them post again and it's very obvious that you guys just dont get one thing ... let's compare Tera to Aion .. there both Korean products .

Aion = massive grind fest.

Aion PVP = 3 - max 10 second battles. most of the time u have no freaking time to even react to any of the attack before you're dead.

now 

Tera = smooth leveling, not too slow not too fast.

Tera PVP = can last up to 5 minutes if both players know what they do .. 5 min is a lot but i'm just sayin it lasts long enough to be fun.

There will be guild battles in tera, battlegrounds ... tons of ways to customize your skillchains. 

plus the political system where only the Guild leader can be elected. you will be able to put people that are plain annoying and huge drama queens into prison ... u  can lower taxes .. u can summon more NPC's into the quest hubs and camps.

[Mod Edit]

• ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Member UncommonPosts: 201

I know how it feels to buy something because it's new and shiny and i've made my share of mistakes in doing so. So, I know when I'm making a foolish purchase. I've tried this game and know I've made a good purchase. Anyone that tab targets and button mashes in our current mmo's will fail miserably ( atleast in the beginning). I think WoW and friends have been breast feeding alot of people for far too long. I say that with love :)

Peace

• arm0sarm0s Member UncommonPosts: 12

Originally posted by Shadowdawnz

I know how it feels to buy something because it's new and shiny and i've made my share of mistakes in doing so. So, I know when I'm making a foolish purchase. I've tried this game and know I've made a good purchase. Anyone that tab targets and button mashes in our current mmo's will fail miserably ( atleast in the beginning). I think WoW and friends have been breast feeding alot of people for far too long. I say that with love :)

Peace

i <3 you !

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by Zekiah

Another short-lived WoW knockoff. I'll pass.

Yeah. It's just like WoW. I was thinking that when I was in beta. I was saying to myself... how could this be more like WoW?

It's clear that this and GW2 and just new WoW Ripoffs. You should look elsewhere....

/endsarcasm

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489

First off, I could watch Pokket all day long. She is one smexy  girl. She's cute and she knows her stuff. Any guy that puts a ring on her hand, better keep her. Cause he'd be a damn fool to lose her.

As for Tera, II think 'll just stick with SWTOR, DCUO, LOTRO, and STO.  I enjoy all those games already. Tera sounds like its just another generic fantasy MMORPG like WOW.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by purewitz

First off, I could watch Pokket all day long. She is one smexy lookin' girl.

As for Tera, II think 'll just stick with SWTOR, DCUO, LOTRO, and STO.  I enjoy all those games already. Tera sounds like its just another generic fantasy MMORPG like WOW.

It's never going to end. Poeple comparing TERA to WoW makes me sad.

/sigh

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

Pokket had that part of the video playing at 10, in game it's slower which actually makes the *ahem* physics stick out more.

I personally enjoyed TERA but my biggest issue was how it roots people when they attack, this is really noticeable when you are playing a ranged class and I found it rather annoying for an action based title. It was like I was playing CoX all over again, most MMO's these days let you run and gun and this should be the case with TERA. Being rooted in place takes out the thrill of having no tabbing, it's like replacing one handy cap with another. So instead of having tabbing your are rooted when you use an ability.

The second issue I have is that nothing really changes in TERA combat become boils down to what Pokket said, dodge dodge (normally a charge attack) attack. This does not change at the higher levels and it's one reason why it is so easy to solo BAM's, though expect the fights to take up to 15 mins as a warrior and 30 as a Sorcerer.

So while I find TERA fun I know that I’ll quickly move on to the next title. Thankfully there is one game I’m testing right now that I am rather enjoying so I look forward to the day it releases.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Member UncommonPosts: 201

It's the biggest joke. Tera and WoW are two completely different games. Anyways.. im not going to comment anymore on that note. I wish those that skip over Tera the best. No game can please everyone. Just like no person can please everyone..

• tavtavtavtav Member Posts: 26

I could have sworn I just saw a SWTOR player critique a game for lack of variety in quest mechanic. Lmfao

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by RedAim

Originally posted by Ozmodan

I do not like the combat in TERA, the inability to cancel a move is ridiculous.  No strategy involved there, just lame combat mechanices.  The more I see of this game the less I like it.

Needs more strategy then your stagnant MMO

Inability to cancel the move is what makes you think before spamming your buttons, if you hit a move that has a long attack and you get yourself stuck in a position that leaves you exposed to a monsters big attack well, good fight. Nevermind the fact if you're just spamming attacks you'll run out of mana in no time, you need to use your mouseclick attacks between your combo-chains to make sure your mana never dips too low because you need mana to dodge or block, getting stuck in a situation with no mana is never good.

Also you can initiate a dodge or block in most cases in the middle of certain attacks, not all of them but particular ones. When fighting the BAMs or elites you're usually being weary of what moves to use and watching the monster because if he shows a tell and right then you click a big move, like i've said, you're gonna' get hit hard.

If you could just run out of any move wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of it being difficult true action combat.It would become far too easy.

I have to hand it to you, you are trying really hard to spin an obvious negative as a positive.

To suggest that not being able to move while casting instants or being locked into skills once you click the button enhances the action or tactical feel of the combat is just mind boggling. The game decreases the ability to quickly react and change tack based on the immediate circumstance which just decreases the dynamic action feel of combat.

I think what you are really saying is the simplistic, coreographed AI would be too easy to beat if you were truly maneuverable in combat.

In CB1 I found that most, if not all mobs had such easily predictable routines that once you fought them once or twice, you knew how to beat that mob type by just stringing together a pre-determined sequence of skills and moves. I don't find that fun or "actiony", but actually rather boring.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by Ozmodan

I do not like the combat in TERA, the inability to cancel a move is ridiculous.

uh, what games outside of mmos do you play where you can just cancel in the middle of an animation, and what sense could that POSSIBLY make?  In any action game you have to do moves with long animation times when you know you won't get attacked/interrupted.   Any mmo with animation cancelling is not doing it right.

Originally posted by fiontar

I have to hand it to you, you are trying really hard to spin an obvious negative as a positive.

To suggest that not being able to move while casting instants or being locked into skills once you click the button enhances the action or tactical feel of the combat is just mind boggling. The game decreases the ability to quickly react and change tack based on the immediate circumstance which just decreases the dynamic action feel of combat.

I think what you are really saying is the simplistic, coreographed AI would be too easy to beat if you were truly maneuverable in combat.

In CB1 I found that most, if not all mobs had such easily predictable routines that once you fought them once or twice, you knew how to beat that mob type by just stringing together a pre-determined sequence of skills and moves. I don't find that fun or "actiony", but actually rather boring.

What did you fight? Monsters on the island of dawn? Also, atleast I have to learn the monsters moves to beat them, can't be said for WoW, Rift or SW:TOR, atleast until significantly high levels.

Edit: Basically what adam_nox said.

I liked the video. Great job. :)

I agree, I also had fun and will participate in the future beta events to get a more well rounded opinion of the game, but I also have the feeling that this will be more of a niche title than an all around competitor. Nothing wrong with that, probably better for those who find it their niche.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

What did you fight? Monsters on the island of dawn? Also, atleast I have to learn the monsters moves to beat them, can't be said for WoW, Rift or SW:TOR, atleast until significantly high levels.

I got to level 20. The complexity increases as you reach higher level mobs, but as I said, once you learned a particular mob and established a routine to defeat it, combat becomes just following the recipe. In fact, most mobs can be defeated just following what will become your default skill rotation. The percentage of mobs that need a slightly different approach increased slightly with each level after you hit the teens, but it's still just about adjusting your rotation and then following the recipe.

Truly dynamic, action based combat would have you making flash decisions through out combat as you react to unpredicted moves from the mob, or you try to bait the mob into behaviours that set them up for the kill. I don't know if the lack of on the move skills in TERA is because of the limitations of the AI, or if the AI is limited to be compatible with the combat limitations, but either way the promise of "action combat" really takes a hit in the actual implimentation of the combat and AI system in the game. Just having to keep your cursor on the enemy doesn't make it action combat.

• Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324

I want to play Pokket the game!!

I got to level 20. The complexity increases as you reach higher level mobs, but as I said, once you learned a particular mob and established a routine to defeat it, combat becomes just following the recipe. In fact, most mobs can be defeated just following what will become your default skill rotation. The percentage of mobs that need a slightly different approach increased slightly with each level after you hit the teens, but it's still just about adjusting your rotation and then following the recipe.

Truly dynamic, action based combat would have you making flash decisions through out combat as you react to unpredicted moves from the mob, or you try to bait the mob into behaviours that set them up for the kill. I don't know if the lack of on the move skills in TERA is because of the limitations of the AI, or if the AI is limited to be compatible with the combat limitations, but either way the promise of "action combat" really takes a hit in the actual implimentation of the combat and AI system in the game. Just having to keep your cursor on the enemy doesn't make it action combat.

Did you reach any of the mobs like the ones pokket fought in her gameface? 

5-10 moves, and an enrage mode that changes appearance, attack speed and attack power isn't simplistic AI, especially for monsters you meet at level 20, in an MMO might I add, they also have excessive amounts of health.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by tavtav

I could have sworn I just saw a SWTOR player critique a game for lack of variety in quest mechanic. Lmfao

Swear all you want but despite how unoriginal Star Wars: The Old Republic might be it does have greater quest variety than TERA. ;-)

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

...  WHO on earth is Pokket and WHY should we care? I had not even heard of her until a few weeks ago when MMORPG.com decided I should know who she is. Someones girlfriend who works for mmorpg.com? All I know is her videos are far from impressive and her PVP videos make me die a little bit inside.