Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game will give GW2 run for its money

Comments

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by omidus

You do understand there's a clear difference between art style right? I mean correct me if I'm wrong, if SWTOR has the same art style as TERA, then what would SWTOR be called? Oh gosh that's a hard question. See the graphics are comparable, but simply drawn differently; but I guess you wouldn't know what artistic style given the nature of your reply.

So since you don't know what artistic difference or artistic style is, you saying TERA is sports better visual would make you the biased person here.

I understand artstyle, but it doesn't mean TERAs are not more technically/artistically impressive, even so SW:TORs honestly, just look and feel lazily done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcvFBzbOsUU Seriously? It doesn't even look like sand. That monsters textures are awful, same with the sand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVb5JmybKvY Put this to 1080p, you can't even justify it's just SW:TORs artstyle, the difference in texture and artistic quality is immense. Look theres even dust blowing around, why not dust in SW:TOR, it's a desert. SW:TORs graphics are just lazy.

valid argument accompanied by videos.. hard to argue with... agree 100%

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212

Tera is in no way competition for GW2. Just isn't going to happen. This opinion is from NA beta experience.

• omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99

God, I wish every artist drew sand, water the same way. I mean why not; cause that way we can talk about why SWTOR's character design is not as good as TERAs and after that we can talk about why they don't draw city structure the same way.

I mean hell texture on items and characters has nothing to do with artistic style whatsoever. Metal in one game looks the same as metal in the next game am I right? I mean Why didn't Bioware just hire the korean artist that TERA? Then that way we can argue about how TERA's server wouldn't even work on the first day of CBT vs SWTOR having a broken launcher.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

You do understand there's a clear difference between art style right? I mean correct me if I'm wrong, if SWTOR has the same art style as TERA, then what would SWTOR be called? Oh gosh that's a hard question. See the graphics are comparable, but simply drawn differently; but I guess you wouldn't know what artistic style given the nature of your reply.

So since you don't know what artistic difference or artistic style is, you saying TERA is sports better visual would make you the biased person here.

I understand artstyle, but it doesn't mean TERAs are not more technically/artistically impressive, even so SW:TORs honestly, just look and feel lazily done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcvFBzbOsUU Seriously? It doesn't even look like sand. That monsters textures are awful, same with the sand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVb5JmybKvY Put this to 1080p, you can't even justify it's just SW:TORs artstyle, the difference in texture and artistic quality is immense. Look theres even dust blowing around, why not dust in SW:TOR, it's a desert. SW:TORs graphics are just lazy.

I also like in the second video when they run dirt kicks up and what not, very non static and well detailed. Just little simple things that add up IMO.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Originally posted by mbrodie

Originally posted by teakbois

This notion that TERA will be a huge success is laughable.  Eastern games just dont do well in the west, and its not like TERA is a knockout game.  The artstyle alone will turn plenty of people away, as well the prejudices about the 'asian grinder', true or not.  Also the fact that its the same old themepark set up that people just had with Rift and WoW will hurt it.

200k subs by the end of the year, tops.

Added on top of the fact taht TERA isn't even a finished game! Their next update in korea is a complete class revamp for one of the "tanking" class and adding a reputation system into the game (components of the game that should have already been done) oh and a whole 2 new dungeon; only after a year of it's release.

TERA is not only not a knockout game, its an unfinished game; just like any other korea based MMO it has no clear direction of where it wants to go.

Korean devs are just incapable of changing their ways and see the bigger picture; they have to be different. If the quest system formula was such a tried and true system; TERA would probably sport a different one altogether.

are bioware korean?

Is TERA gonna succeed? oh wait I know just look at Aion.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

God, I wish every artist drew sand, water the same way. I mean why not; cause that way we can talk about why SWTOR's character design is not as good as TERAs and after that we can talk about why they don't draw city structure the same way.

I mean hell texture on items and characters has nothing to do with artistic style whatsoever. Metal in one game looks the same as metal in the next game am I right? I mean Why didn't Bioware just hire the korean artist that TERA? Then that way we can argue about how TERA's server wouldn't even work on the first day of CBT vs SWTOR having a broken launcher.

The server not working didn't have to do with the art, now you're just trying to rail on TERAs server strength in Europe during pre-beta testing because you got proven wrong.

You wouldn't be complaining if the artists that made TERA  did everything for SW:TOR but actually added tons of detail and quality textures but kept it to your tastes unlike SW:TORs artists, I guarantee that.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Honestly, I don't see TERA giving any game a run for it's money atm. It may turn out to be a decent game, but other than those super exited about it, noone really seems to give a crap.

The server not working didn't have to do with the art, now you're just trying to rail on TERAs server strength in Europe during pre-beta testing because you got proven wrong.

You wouldn't be complaining if the artists that made TERA  did everything for SW:TOR but actually added tons of detail and quality textures but kept it to your tastes, I guarantee that.

I didn't say it had anything to do with art now did I? I stated if all things are equal then we'd be talking about other useless things.

If TERA artist did SWTOR, it wouldn't be called SWTOR, it'd be some other korean game that sports a SCI-FI theme I can guarantee you that. And in the end the issue with korean based MMO would still persist: No content, no clear direction of the game, but hey! It'll sport a killer look that is so important. I wonder why Aion couldn't keep it's sub number, I mean it use CryEngine for god's sake.

You wouldn't be complaining if the artists that made TERA  did everything for SW:TOR but actually added tons of detail and quality textures but kept it to your tastes, I guarantee that.

I didn't say it had anything to do with art now did I? I stated if all things are equal then we'd be talking about other useless things.

If TERA artist did SWTOR, it wouldn't be called SWTOR, it'd be some other korean game that sports a SCI-FI theme I can guarantee you that. And in the end the issue with korean based MMO would still persist: No content, no clear direction of the game, but hey! It'll sport a killer look that is so important. I wonder why Aion couldn't keep it's sub number, I mean it use CryEngine for god's sake.

Yes because the artists decide how the game is made, the mechanics and the direction  the game will go, makes sense. Aion didn't succeed because of poor marketing, heavy grind and lack of a big name behind it like "STAR WARS!!".

Edit: I'd like to add NCsoft also was pretty incompetant in the west and really there main focus was providing for Korea because it's the biggest game there right now.

• GodwalkerGodwalker Member Posts: 21

Silly how a lot of people are comparing it to AION and stuff and never played it.  I will say majority of those who played to level cap in this first beta were blown away.  Those who didn't even hit level 20 need not to speak.  Would you listen to someone give their point of view on wow if they hit only level 20?  Probably not.  This beta was just a scratch of the surface and the surface was sure nice.  I'm not saying it's the greatest MMO and is going to kill other MMO's out there but Tera will do suprisingly well.  Tab targeting noobs need not apply.

Originally posted by Godwalker

Silly how a lot of people are comparing it to AION and stuff and never played it.  I will say majority of those who played to level cap in this first beta were blown away.  Those who didn't even hit level 20 need not to speak.  Would you listen to someone give their point of view on wow if they hit only level 20?  Probably not.  This beta was just a scratch of the surface and the surface was sure nice.  I'm not saying it's the greatest MMO and is going to kill other MMO's out there but Tera will do suprisingly well.  Tab targeting noobs need not apply.

Exactly,  you wouldn't base all of WoW on deadmines and wailing caverns alone, but people seem to be doing that a whole lot with TERA.

Because if I did, boy is it ever boring and easymode stand still, tank and spank, spam skills combat.

Yes because the artists decide how the game is made, the mechanics and the direction  the game will go, makes sense. Aion didn't succeed because of poor marketing, heavy grind and lack of a big name behind it like "STAR WARS!!".

Edit: I'd like to add NCsoft also was pretty incompetant in the west and really there main focus was providing for Korea because it's the biggest game there right now.

Yeah, let's blame marketting; because Aion didn't have any. Oh wait... When Aion first launched you couldn't view a video on Gametrailers or goto IGN without seeing an ad for Aion. Guess you're only way to go now is get off the art subject and get on the marketting train and actually talk about useless crap.

Actually deadmine probably had MORE content at lv10 than any of TERA's dungeon at lv10. You probably couldn't even tank and spank right if it hit you in the face.

@Godwalker: Full set of Padamarashka leather set, full set of Archon Brigade general set. Hmm yeah lv20s are so much more capable than I thought. I must've played a different game.

@Godwalker: Full set of Padamarashka leather set, full set of Archon Brigade general set. Hmm yeah lv20s are so much more capable than I thought. I must've played a different game.

He's talking about never playing TERA silly.

He used Aion as reference and I'm giving him my Aion reference "silly" and since I played K-tera to level 58 I guess that makes you both look dumb.

He used Aion as reference and I'm giving him my Aion reference "silly" and since I played K-tera to level 58 I guess that makes you both look dumb.

Did you now, and you still think deadmines has more content than all of Teras dungeons? Okay, I believe you.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Originally posted by mbrodie

Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

Originally posted by biggarfoot

Originally posted by biggarfoot

Originally posted by Loke666

TSW>GW2&TERA

I kinda doubt it. TSW do have the potential of getting a higher playerbase than earlier FunCom games and I like the idea of a Cthulhu styled modern world MMO. TERA and TSW is going straight up against eachothers and anything can happen there.

GW2 on the other hand have a lot more experienced team than the other 2, a hype level that is beyond any MMO since ever and the fact that it is fantsy is also a huge thing, MMO players seems to prefer fantasy.

I can imagine both TERA and TSW having impressing 500K active players but I also think GW2 will have 2 million or so (active that is, number of accounts will be more than the original GWs 3,5 million seperate accounts).

I salute all 3 of those games for trying to do something different from the standard model MMO but I still don´t see TSW or Tera competing against GW2, I don´t even see both of them together having more active players than GW2.

GW2 will be up against Wow, TOR, Titan, Copernicus, Class 4 and possible WoDO. 

TSW will be up against Rift, TERA, EQ Next, PS2, LOTRO and similar games. Successful games but not the ones that are truly huge.

I have no doubt that GW2 will have the largest player base. It is B2P after all. I think community wise, TSW will be much better though. Every kid under the sun will be playing as they don't need a mommy or daddy's credit card number. I agree with one of the posters above me that GW2 is probably a little too over hyped. I have more of a wait and see attitude with GW2. I see the potential for numerous things that sound great on paper or play great on a limited playthrough but might not stand the test of months of playtime. I'll for sure buy it at launch and give it a play through though. I am also not a huge fan of anything NCSoft.

Okay, I'm seeing this in every post and its bugging the hell out of me, NCSoft isnt working on GW2 its Arenanet, Arenanet is a subsidory of NCSoft, but Arenanet holds all the cards on the GW2 title, please check out the Arenanet website and read up on this company.  Sorry but its one of them niggles that has been eating at me.

They are OWNED by NCSoft. They are not a seperate entity. I work for a company that is owned by a major defense corporation. Sure, they allow us to develop stuff on our own, but the ultimate financial decisions lie with them and everything we do is reported to them. I know as much as many of you would like to believe that they are only making games for the world's entertainment, they are doing it to make a profit.

Because your companies budget is controlled by another company then Anet budget is controlled by NCSoft? like I said go do some reading mr know it all.

Their budget is owned by NCSoft. They OWN Arenanet. What part don't you understand. Their profits are NCSoft profits. On ArenaNet's website...  "ArenaNet is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Korea-based NCsoft Corporation". A subsidiary is a company that is either partially or completely owned and wholly controlled by another company that owns at least half of the subsidiary's stock. In ArenaNet's case, the company is wholly owned.

you're crazy if you think NCSoft would impede any design or game decisions... arenanet might be owned and controlled by NCSoft but i gaurantee you just like with guildwars 1, arenanet is building the game they want to make.. not what NCsoft wants them to make.. or else we would be seeing Aion 2... NCSoft recognizes the following that GW1 has and would give arenanet full developmental and financial control over their game, otherwise you would have seen another rushed launch not a "when it's done" attitude

We really do not know the formal agreement between the two. At the moment, GW2 is the game ANET wants to make, and it doesn't have any signs of NCSoft yet. That is not to say that in the near or far away future things will change because, as we all know, NCSoft still OWNS ANet and it will still be their call to make. We're simply hoping for the best situation here: that it's going to be the same case as GW1.

In summary what I'm saying is that "steve's" concern is justified. It's highly unlikely, but not crazy.

• GodwalkerGodwalker Member Posts: 21

I'm talking about WoW and Tera in the reference to comparison.  I"m saying people are off when comparing the game as an entirety to Aion.  But you wouldn't judge WoW by level 20.  Why judge tera by level 20?

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

One kind of major issue, in my opinion, that TERA has is that the main development is done in S. Korea so any kind of content updates will always lag behind in the west. And not just content updates either. Bugs fixes, character and game balancing will all lag behind. This type of a set up makes rapid response to various issues difficult.

Not sure about now but I believe Aion was the same way when it launched. Content gets released in S. Korea first and then gets ported to the rest of the world a few months later.

That is one of the bigger deterrents for me when it comes to this game. If there is a gamebreaking issue, you have to wait much longer for it to be resolved.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by heartless
    One kind of major issue, in my opinion, that TERA has is that the main development is done in S. Korea so any kind of content updates will always lag behind in the west. And not just content updates either. Bugs fixes, character and game balancing will all lag behind. This type of a set up makes rapid response to various issues difficult.
    Not sure about now but I believe Aion was the same way when it launched. Content gets released in S. Korea first and then gets ported to the rest of the world a few months later.
    That is one of the bigger deterrents for me when it comes to this game. If there is a gamebreaking issue, you have to wait much longer for it to be resolved.

That's not how it works with bug fixes.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Its always the same with korean games, they release content for korea and then by another ~2-6 months it usually get released in the west but with bugs and stuff usually fixed.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Good to hear. The longer wait for the content will probably still annoy me though.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Good to hear. The longer wait for the content will probably still annoy me though.

Yeah that always bugged me when I was playing Dungeon Fighter Online. Korea got all the cool new zones, characters, weapons, etc many many months before North America did.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Well first of all GW2 and Tera isn't even exactly on the same market, sure both mmorpg but one is B2P and Other is P2P thus no Conflic at all. You buy one less shitty fps for your consol and get GW2 thats yet. It also means GW2 won't beat WoW because its not unlikely people will play both.

I'm going to say this now, play Tera before you say its bad, swear to god all the reveiew about people who never played and only look at video or play not even to 20 saying this game is not good is stuipd. You won't play 10mins of GW2 and say omg this is just like GW boring. No you go in more depth to find out how good the game really is.

To be Honest Tera has not been give its due credit, one in fact both the company making the game and company hosting the game isn't exactly rich and have money to put out metric tons of ads like GW2 and SWTOR. (and we all know how much good that did to SWTOR)

To people comparing it to Dragon Nest, stop first of all been open world Tera rhapes dragon nest and vindicuts by such a long shoot and they can't even hope to catch up traveling at the speed of light. Also those 2 game is host by nexon... ya good games though but nexon...arg. And Tera combat is not meant to be as twitchy as dragon nest or vindictus and if you really want twtich game grand chase beats them both hand down in that and has way better PvP thats 100% skill based (if you set few small limits) To anyone who loved monster hunter or god eater burst you must get Tera. Its like but its a mmo and you have a much set roll rather than do everything yourself.

To me GW and GW2 is like Halo, there is a PvE there its nice but short and totaly skipable and thats pretty much what lot of people do is rush though it to get to the part they want to play which is the PvP, whole point of guild War. Sounds lot like Halo where everyone either jump directly to online pvp or rush through campain than go on xbox live. I mean it looks nice and all but seriously, yes it has good quest thats almost like single player but guess what? Tera has way better combat system. It even out in the end really if you want game with good quest that last you through out your sort pve live or a game with epic combat system that make standard quest feel run and give you epic end game pve or pvp experience.

Also BnS will be a great single player game, thats about yet. I mean i'll seriously get it coz the graphic looks epic and the story is really good but thats about yet. Standard quest and decent combat, i mean the combo and fluid combat is nice but in the end its just a more fluid verison of lock on mass my skills till monster is dead, will not match up to Tera's combat system.

wow thats long and i'm bored to post this but o well =X

O and En Masses fix your forum please, only thing you guys aren't doing right right now.

Yeah that always bugged me when I was playing Dungeon Fighter Online. Korea got all the cool new zones, characters, weapons, etc many many months before North America did.

I can't remember where I saw it but the Devs stated they would try to make Tera completely synced throughout the world, keeping updates as close in regions as possible. If this holds true or not we will see.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I have been waiting for GW2 for years. Nothing else touches it.

Nothing released this year or close. ( SWTOR )

But I played TERA and I can see a competitor.

No wonder NC soft are trying to sue Bluehole and stop Tera.

They are suing because it is going to take out Aion most likely. After playing for over 2 years the population is just dwindling. I know for quite a long time a ton of Aion people can't wait for TERA.