Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Mounted Combat: A PVP Success?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the more exciting features to be announced for the Riders of Rohan expansion to Lord of the Rings Online is mounted combat. This has gotten a lot of players very excited yet some wonder whether it will make it into LOTRO's version of PvP, Monster Play. Read on and then weigh in with your own thoughts in the comments.

With the recent reveal that the new Lord of the Rings: Riders of Rohan expansion will include mounted combat; many are very excited for the possibilities the expansion may bring. Mounted combat is a rare gift in the MMO world. Very few games include mounts as anything but a way to save money and time on travel. Age of Conan was one of the few AAA MMOs to include mounted combat and while it is interesting, it has never served much of a purpose beyond sieges. A few independent MMOs have included mounted combat as well, but in the popular, big budget realm it remains largely untested territory. Could LOTRO’s mounted combat be a force for change for both PVE and PVP content? Perhaps.

Read more of Dylan Grozdanich's Lord of the Rings Online: Mounted Combat - A PVP Success?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• lmollealmollea Member UncommonPosts: 40

LOTRO? PVP? I really given up hope for that when the new PvP map announced for RoI suddenly disappeared from the release notes. And I preordered RoI *also* (if not especially) for that.

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173
    PvP is so forgotten feature of LOTRO, that I doubt they plan anything serious with it. And making an mounted combat for PvP would be quite huge. Seeing "quality" of Isengard I even doubt it'll be something big for PvE. Turbine is quite "famous" for making neat PR statements which seems awesome but are meh in reality but of course after You paid $.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

i,m not a pvp guy but i have to say turbine have severely neglected that side of things for the pvp guys..it really sucks..thing is they could make other maps etc..need i go on.mounted pvp,not a chance,they cant even be bothered to sort the normal pvp out.given the population being very high i would have thought that they would have done something with the pvp to get more players but nooooooo.real shame and a total waste of a good ip which is fast becoming a joke..i am a lifer and if they dont get the next ex pk right i,m gone for good..been playing since release and its just gone downhill after moria.some say before moria but i liked moria..each to their own i guess.

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

I hope that with this expansion, they will make PvP come trough to life. It was one of a few features in LOTRO that was stoping this game to be on top.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

"First of all, what would Monster Players ride on?"

Are you forgetting the Oliphants?

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• samuraislyr4samuraislyr4 Member UncommonPosts: 73

Originally posted by Dinendae

"First of all, what would Monster Players ride on?"

Are you forgetting the Oliphants?

Not forgetting (well I do believe I forgot to mention them at least) but they are a bit big. Technically giant elephant like creatures woulds just stomp horses to itsy bitsy horse pancakes. In an MMO, this wouldn't happen but still it would seem a little silly to have big creatures capable of massive amounts of damage doing the same amount of damage as people on horses. I don't think Turbine should consider it yet unless they decide to add siege weaponary and such. Still who knows. Either they'll do something with Monster Play, or continue on the exact same path with it.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Seriously. Forget PvP.  LOTRO should take the bold step of writing it off, and focus strictly on PvE. RPG PvPers are seriously one of the worst MMO nomadic tribes around. They go from game to game, demanding resources, and once they've pillaged as much development time as they can, they get bored and move on, leaving a wrecked game in their wake.

• RakujiRakuji Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Pvp in lotro sucks, they better do somthing sweet....

Kick to the Face.

• CembryeCembrye Member UncommonPosts: 65

Originally posted by Dredphyre

Seriously. Forget PvP.  LOTRO should take the bold step of writing it off, and focus strictly on PvE. RPG PvPers are seriously one of the worst MMO nomadic tribes around. They go from game to game, demanding resources, and once they've pillaged as much development time as they can, they get bored and move on, leaving a wrecked game in their wake.

That analysis really doesn't apply to PVPers that are still playing LOTRO.  Long ago people adjusted to the fact that Monster Play was going to remain a side game, e.g. they weren't going to spread MP into the regular PVE zones or make a realm v realm system.  People just want the side game to have the same quality as the main game.  So far that has not been true.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    The idea is nice, but for LotrO, I just dunno. It just isn't the core gameplay of LotrO. Although, if Turbine would create PVMP areas in Rohan in the open, then I could see mounted combat become very interesting. Rohan riders against warg riders, I could really see that happen.

But they'd have to seriously ramp up their PVMP gameplay.
  • TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

I just don't see it happening. Adding mounted combat to PVP in LOTRO would be a significant investment into the side of the game they have not been interested in investing into. I can't blame Turbine either, as the return on investment is likely just not worth it.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Well put.  The extremely vocal minority.  They come into games get the PvE watered down, abilities limited and move on the the next title.

• starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230

LOL...the real question is there any pvp'ers left? 98% of the vets that i know of have left on both sides its mostly new people and f2p reavers buying there way to win.

They have lied 2 times now about the new pvp map and my guess is as is tradition in lotro history to say there will be one only to shortly take it away a day before launch of the rohan.

When a tree with a bird was considered pvp content i knew it was time move on. Its really sad they could have really out done wow and most pvp out there if they werent so lazy with it.

There getting rid of destiny points now to so all the crees who had over 900k in destiny will now lose all that destiny theyve had and be capped at 10k now and destiny is now called "commendations" off of star wars lol

So whatever is left is going to be gone from this destiny point nerf  so even if mounted combat is put in the moors there wont be much vets due to the destiny mess there doing. So your going to have just a crap load of new people steamrolling  f2p reavers.

PLEASE NOTE MMORPG IM NOT TROLLING OR HIJACKING OR ANYTHING ELSE HERE<--  this is my honest opinion of this.

• a3rynsuna3rynsun Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Cembrye

That analysis really doesn't apply to PVPers that are still playing LOTRO.  Long ago people adjusted to the fact that Monster Play was going to remain a side game, e.g. they weren't going to spread MP into the regular PVE zones or make a realm v realm system.  People just want the side game to have the same quality as the main game.  So far that has not been true.

Shadowclan.  w00t.  :D

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Correct. You would think the people crying about PVP in LOTRO had never played the game. I would recommend if people want PVP they find a PVP game, but I guess its more fun to complain.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Mardukk

Well put.  The extremely vocal minority.  They come into games get the PvE watered down, abilities limited and move on the the next title.

Quoted both for emphasis.