Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old Star Wars games > New Star Wars games

AtheenahAtheenah Member Posts: 58

In my dissapointment from seeing SWG being closed to the next massive dissapointment that the disaster SWTOR was i decided to take a step back.

So, i re-installed Jedi Knight II- Outcast!

Haha, what a blast! This old game beats SWTO any day! Im having a great time with it, and it will take a while

before i get back to MMO´s. Perhaps there will be  a cool sandbox soon.!

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

There have been some good and some great SW games in the past. I've been trying to get my hands on a good copy of Shadows of the Empire for N64, I hear it is a good ride. Also, I've had some fun with Republic Commando and I should probably get back in there someday. But ya, the old Dark Forces FPSs were some of the greatest SW games made.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• VikingLegionVikingLegion Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by Atheenah

In my dissapointment from seeing SWG being closed to the next massive dissapointment that the disaster SWTOR was i decided to take a step back.

Haha, what a blast! This old game beats SWTO any day! Im having a great time with it, and it will take a while

alot of great classic star wars game but empire at war and forces of corruption gotta be one of my favorites.

RTS gameplay with some risk aspects, land and space combat, heroes, iconic ships, weapons, etc.  pretty cool check it out if you havent.

Theres mods out for it now that are like free expansions.  well polished.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

I don't agree.

Lego Star Wars is probably the best Star Wars game ever.

Star Wars Battlefront (1+2) are a close second.

Knights of the Old Republic (1+2) are third.

I've enjoyed The Old Republic for what it is, an MMO, but all the other Star Wars games do nothing for me.

But, thats only my opinion.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Super Star Wars trilogy on SNES... good times!

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

KOTOR 1 & 2 was a once in a decade experience. You could say the same for KOTOR 3(SWTOR) but in an opposite way.

Still, its hard for me to get rid of Jedi Acadamy disc, even though I havent installed it for years.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Jedi Knight series (originally DARK FORCES) might always be my fave.  I still hope for a new Jedi Knight game.

Give me:

-Interactive Storytelling with choices that matter

-Improved JEDI OUTCAST combat system

-The engines and art team used for FORCE UNLEASHED

-RPG elements which allow you to really create your own character fitting  your playstyle

-Ability to take control of vehicles such as speeder bikes (Lightsaber duel a la speeder joust, anyone?), Starfighters/ships

And you can wrap that up into a great epic star wars story and call it a phenomenal Star Wars game :D

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Toto020Toto020 Member Posts: 43

I booted up my Mac G4 Cube recently just to be able to play Tie Fighter...

• SolarstrikerSolarstriker Member UncommonPosts: 35

One of my favorites are Jedi Academy, multiplayer mode lightsaber only. Lots of  fun :D

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    X Win vs Tie fighter, Star wars rogue squadron, and Kotor are the top 3 imo.

Depending on what genre you prefer you could argue others too (Battlefront, Empire at War)
  • thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

There have been some good and some great SW games in the past. I've been trying to get my hands on a good copy of Shadows of the Empire for N64, I hear it is a good ride. Also, I've had some fun with Republic Commando and I should probably get back in there someday. But ya, the old Dark Forces FPSs were some of the greatest SW games made.

Its nearly as good as the book which IMO is the best in the EU hell I wish it could be turned to a movie,  I think the SOTE book is probably my favourite Star Wars thing of all time.

In other news I'm still enjoying SWTOR but yeah some of the older games gave me more fun.  Entire DF/JK series, X wing v Tie and SWG.

Sadly a Star Wars game is also at the very bottom of my gaming list that Naboo Starfighter thing the worst £7 or so I have ever spent.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I like the older games in general... Jedi Knight, Tie Fighter, XW Alliance, KotOR 1 and 2... but I still like TOR.

Force Unleashed just pretty much annoyed me.  The Devil May Cry physics engine... the over-the-top gameplay(moving a Star Destroyer with the force?  Seriously???).

Why on earth someone hasn't tried to create an updated version of Tie Fighter... it just defies logic.  And no, SWG JtL doesn't count; it was so friggin' godawful slow it wasn't funny.  Great ship customization, though. 

• HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649

My favourite Star Wars games are

1. Jedi Knight II

2. Star Wars rebellion

3. Kotor I

4. X-wing alliance

5. X-wing vs Tie fighter

All these games have given me a better gaming experience than SWTOR so far.

Just wish they would make movies and/or games based on the Bounty hunters wars books

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back
    Station.com : We got your game
    Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

• icedout06icedout06 Member Posts: 97

Originally posted by Robsolf

I like the older games in general... Jedi Knight, Tie Fighter, XW Alliance, KotOR 1 and 2... but I still like TOR.

Force Unleashed just pretty much annoyed me.  The Devil May Cry physics engine... the over-the-top gameplay(moving a Star Destroyer with the force?  Seriously???).

Why on earth someone hasn't tried to create an updated version of Tie Fighter... it just defies logic.  And no, SWG JtL doesn't count; it was so friggin' godawful slow it wasn't funny.  Great ship customization, though. 

swg jtl was fast paced as hell once you got to pvp level.  

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire on the N64. This game used to give me creeps when I was a kid playing it. The story was actually a bit dark from what I remember. I got both the game and my N64 at the same time for Christmas.. :) .. That's 1997 man.. Their flying missions were better and were on planets.. lol..

Grappeling AT-AT's and having to hog tie them down.. CHEA!.. They had that figured out in 97' WTF man.. *Le sigh*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B1DwXcGTnw @ 2mins. the grapple mechanics.

>

New Star Wars game(s)..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by icedout06

Originally posted by Robsolf

swg jtl was fast paced as hell once you got to pvp level.  

As in "2 shots and somebody's dead?"  Sure.  As a game of outmanuevering and dogfighting?  Not so much, unless they cut PvP damage to about 10% after I left.

• AtheenahAtheenah Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by Toto020

I booted up my Mac G4 Cube recently just to be able to play Tie Fighter...

Oh dear, now THAT was a good game!

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Atheenah

Riiiiiiight.  

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Moving this to general gaming as it is not directly related to SW:TOR.

Below is my list of favorite SW games in no particular order. I actually tried to order them, but it's frankly too hard!

1. X-Wing Alliance

2. Jedi Knight/Dark Forces series.

3. Shadows of the Empire

4. KOTOR 1 and 2

5. SWG (d'uh!)

6. SW: Empire at War

7. SW: Galactic Battlegrounds (Age of Empires II with a Star Wars skin, what's not to love?)

8. Super Star Wars Series

9. SW:TOR

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Being a Star Wars fan nothing (for me) was as good as SWG, finaly a gameworld where I could just be what ever with little restrictions, freedom, uniqueness, fun, simply put I was set into the virtual world of Star Wars. No game has ever gave me that virtual feeling like SWG did. Al the other games where very nice and enjoyable game but very limited.

Unfortunaly even though I am a Star Wars fan I am still not into SW:ToR, while I did enjoy the KoToR series from a MMORPG I expect allot more. But then again I might some day try SW:ToR cause only my own experiance could proof me wrong about the game, but to be honost so far have not seen or read anything that makes me want to play it, mainly becauce it's labeled a MMORPG and when I see a game being labeled MMORPG I expect allot more then what I read or have seen about the game.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Meh I like SWTOR but it doesn't feel like star wars.

Anyway, can't say that I've found a star wars game that really enthralled me. I did enjoy Kotor and kotor 2 though.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Originally posted by NaughtyP

Oh the many hours I pissed away on these games..seems like forever since i played them.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by GreenHell

Originally posted by NaughtyP

Oh the many hours I pissed away on these games..seems like forever since i played them.

Some of my favorite games of all time, funny enough they were my first thought when I read the thread title. heh

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

In the past, there have been some very good Star Wars titles like the SNES games, the Jedi Knight series, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, Rogue Squadron,  and Shadows of the Empire, but there have been some really good Star Wars titles released in the last 10 years that are all pretty good too including the KOTOR series, the Battlefront series, Force Unleashed, and even the original Star Wars Starfighter.  

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Star Wars games for years now have been crap.  My favorites are generally the older ones:

X-Wing series (1990s) by Totally Games: X-Wing (1993), TIE Fighter (1994), X-Wing vs TIE Fighter (1997), X-Wing:Alliance (1999), plus all their expansions.  The epitome of Star Wars space combat games and among the best ever fielded for space combat sims.  Loved the X-Wing series.  Loved them.

Dark Forces series (1995-2002) - Star Wars FPS goodness.  Includes DF 1 (1995), DF 2 (1997), and "Mysteries of the Sith" expansion (1998).  This series last good one was Jedi Outcast (2002).

Star Wars: Rebellion (1998) - I found alot of enjoyment in this galaxy spanning strategy game.  It definitely had flaws and garnered some deservingly bad reviews.  But for what it tried, no other Star Wars game tried anything similiar in scope to this day.  Empire at War's scale of forces are still small compared to the fleets and landing forces you sling about in SW Rebellion.

Knights of the Old Republic 1 (2003) - A good Star Wars RPG set in a unique timeframe for the franchise.  BioWare did a good job here, and it is also one of the last great games of that company.  Yeah, I freakin' said it.  The sequel was ambitious but was a totally bug infested, and a woefully incomplete game by Obsidian.

Star Wars: Battlefront 1 (2004) - Taking a "Battlefield" style of play, slapping Star Wars infantry and vehicles from the prequels and original trilogy.  Overalll a "Win."  The only thing wrong was the hunched over posture of the infantry units.  It was, IMO, far superior to the 2005 SWBF2 which removed prone position, a half-a**ed space combat game that was a total joke, and  included the taint of Jedi to further drag the sequel down.

Star Wars Galaxies (2003-2005) - Well, enough threads have surfaced about this game and its merits and demerits on these forums.  Without getting into a huge thread about gameplay specifics, I'll leave it with this:  It's the last Star Wars game where I felt I could do anything, go anywhere, felt deeply immersed in the Star Wars name, and did it all with alot of good people on the server.  It all came crashing down in late 2005 after some game sweeping changes by SOE.

For me, the 1990s were a very good time for Star Wars gaming, and Lucasarts was at the top of its game.  It was a time when seeing the Lucasarts style of packaging meant you had a good chance of getting a quality game.  Star Wars games and Lucasarts concidentally started going downhill together when The Phantom Menace movie came out.

Coincidence? image

Anyways, I get my modern Star Wars gaming fix from mods now.  Fans do a better job of providing a good Star Wars gaming experience to other fans than Lucasarts does.  It has been so for many years now.  The best timeframe of SW gaming was, IMO, the 1990s.  Before the Dark Times.  Before the Prequels.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• SolarstrikerSolarstriker Member UncommonPosts: 35

1 - SWG

2 - Jedi Academy

3 - Star Wars Monopoly (PC)