Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Curious about the motivation behind posting numorous negative reviews

Comments

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Thorbrand

I think the biggest issue with SWTOR is that for 200million dollars the game should have blown everyone away. With that kind of money even myself (With the resources) could have made a game to be top 5 all time MMOs.

I think this is a major part of the "problem" people actually do expect to be "blown away". IMO that's just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Not really checked this out but i wonder how much Archeage cost to develop,i wager it was not the 150 million dollar range,and quite frankly watching the videos is like being caught in a thermo nuclear blast of Mmorpg nostalgia.image

p>
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by echolynfan

I think the biggest issue with SWTOR is that for 200million dollars the game should have blown everyone away. With that kind of money even myself (With the resources) could have made a game to be top 5 all time MMOs.

Oh...and this too ^

What about this?

"With all of the same ole' fantasy crap being churned out - I'll be with SWTOR for the long haul. I LOVE this game and believe that Bioware will be adding tons of new content in the future."

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

I think this is a major part of the "problem" people actually do expect to be "blown away". IMO that's just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Can you really blame them though.  You have bioware who everyone thinks is the bees knees when it comes to game developers, and they're making an MMO based on Star Wars, one of if not THE most popular IP in existence (definitely in the top 10), they have a 200 million budget, an 800 person team.  They advertise all these great features, they post videos on youtube talking about how they're going to "Redefine the MMO genre" and basically make themselves out to be the badest ass badasses ever.

Yeah, the bitter and jaded amongst us know better than to swallow the hype, but the majority of the casual mmo player base is gonna lap that sh*t up like its the nectar of the gods.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Originally posted by Bluefear77

I’m curious about the motivation behind posting negative review after negative review. Why post it again and again?

I can understand if you don’t like a game, but why do you continue to post again and again that you don’t like the game?

I will give you an example: I didn’t like “Fallen Earth.” I have never gone on any Fallen Earth forum and bashed the game. Did the game have problems? Yes. Do I feel like it is ok for other people to like the game?  Yes. But I never felt like I had to go on the game's forum and attack the game.

So why do the same people on this site continue to post again and again how much they dislike/hate the game? Why do you feel it is necessary to act like that?

I’m curious. Thanks.

I'm curious as to why you are curious.

Would the forums be a much better place if no one complained? Even if people only posted one thread one time complaining about it there would still be an awful lot of hate threads.

In all of the time I have been here the "why" has never crossed my mind. People just do what they do. Most people are driven by emotion and you can never battle emotion with logic. I have fought enough with my wife to know this. You will never know what motivates everyone to post and to be honest you probably don't want to.

Oh...and this too ^

What about this?

"With all of the same ole' fantasy crap being churned out - I'll be with SWTOR for the long haul. I LOVE this game and believe that Bioware will be adding tons of new content in the future."

Good for you if they overhaul the game i might join you but with all the negativity surrounding the game,they may have to haul ass pretty quick new content and proper space play are a must.

As 2012 is one hell of a year for Mmorpg's i don't think i have seen so many AAA stuff and Indie devs in one year and with F2P now the in thing Bioware better hit top gear or SWTOR will be F2P year end,unless of course that was the plan all along?

p>
  • AtheenahAtheenah Member Posts: 58

For me personally, its due to the immense dissapointment of SWTOR.

After being hyped through the roof and with a pricetag to go with it, to the utter frustration i felt...

I feel cheated.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

I’m curious about the motivation behind posting negative review after negative review. Why post it again and again?

I can understand if you don’t like a game, but why do you continue to post again and again that you don’t like the game?

I will give you an example: I didn’t like “Fallen Earth.” I have never gone on any Fallen Earth forum and bashed the game. Did the game have problems? Yes. Do I feel like it is ok for other people to like the game?  Yes. But I never felt like I had to go on the game's forum and attack the game.

So why do the same people on this site continue to post again and again how much they dislike/hate the game? Why do you feel it is necessary to act like that?

I’m curious. Thanks.

To repudiate some of the rediculous claims made about the game. Perhaps it is not as bad as some would have it but at best it is an average game. 

Oh and some of the claims that need repudiating are not just from the fans but from the developers. Also if you treat your paying customers with an arogance that borders on contempt of course they are going to bitch about it on forums.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I bash, because I can.  image

No, seriously, I enjoy forum PVP, probably can be caught arguing either side of almost any issue as long as it keeps the discussion going further.

I am impervious to flaming, namecalling or accusations of being a troll. (as those are only found in fantasy worlds, no such thing here in real life.)

I don't need any real motivation other than someone starts a thread, (I rarely start them btw) so I will feel obligated to respond to it.

Hey, how the heck am I supposed to keep my post count up? image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Atheenah

After being hyped through the roof and with a pricetag to go with it, to the utter frustration i felt...

I feel cheated.

^ Basically this. It is called back lash and I told TOR fans that they needed to tone down the hype. Anyone who is objective can tell you the backlash from GW2 will be monumental compared to anything you saw in TOR if ArenaNET screws that up.

The game has earned the hate though. I am convinced if Rift had never released, then the best you could compare TOR to would be WoW/AoC/EQ2/Aion/WAR, but it set a semi-standard for what people expect. So TOR missing what is considered basic features on launch caused it.

They still have the IP on their side, but the crap with the phasing needs to go or Bioware needs to just admit this was a cash grab and it should have been a single player rpg.

Originally posted by darker70

Oh...and this too ^

What about this?

Good for you if they overhaul the game i might join you but with all the negativity surrounding the game,they may have to haul ass pretty quick new content and proper space play are a must.

As 2012 is one hell of a year for Mmorpg's i don't think i have seen so many AAA stuff and Indie devs in one year and with F2P now the in thing Bioware better hit top gear or SWTOR will be F2P year end,unless of course that was the plan all along?

That wasn't my post, it was from the same guy using the term "biofail".

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Would you be asking the same if it was all positive glowing reviews? I think not.   People on an open forum can post any thing they like and I do not see an issue with it.  Obviously when you get a game that has sold this many copies there will be strong opinions on both sides of the fence.

True story

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Oh...and this too ^

What about this?

Hey - I already said I was DEAD wrong about SWTOR and even aologized to the MMORPG community :)

I had no idea that Bioware with all the millions they poured into this game would release a pathetic piece of crap - so I'm not afraid to publicy change my opinion. I will be, however, MUCH more cautious from now on in my assessment of new MMO's and will let the honeymoon period end before getting too excited.

!st STO let me down and now my 2nd favorite SCI-FI IP let me down even harder - really sad

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

Originally posted by RizelStar

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Would you be asking the same if it was all positive glowing reviews? I think not.   People on an open forum can post any thing they like and I do not see an issue with it.  Obviously when you get a game that has sold this many copies there will be strong opinions on both sides of the fence.

True story

Problem is it works both ways, as an example if it was all and only glowing reviews, would certain people like those who question the intent of this OP, be making this threads opposite? I bet they would...

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by Atheenah

I feel cheated.

^ Basically this. It is called back lash and I told TOR fans that they needed to tone down the hype. Anyone who is objective can tell you the backlash from GW2 will be monumental compared to anything you saw in TOR if ArenaNET screws that up.

The game has earned the hate though. I am convinced if Rift had never released, then the best you could compare TOR to would be WoW/AoC/EQ2/Aion/WAR, but it set a semi-standard for what people expect. So TOR missing what is considered basic features on launch caused it.

They still have the IP on their side, but the crap with the phasing needs to go or Bioware needs to just admit this was a cash grab and it should have been a single player rpg.

And your response says it all doesn't it. The missing basic features at launch, you know, the ones some people believed it should have, but which other thought it shouldnt have. The inability of some to play the game socially without LFD and LFG tools to do the work for them. The crappy lvl 50 PvP...ok that one is real, but you get my point. 

To say the game deserved it because it didnt live up to YOUR perception of what YOU felt it SHOULD have been is exactly what makes the hype a problem. If you spend all your time trying to make it what you want it to be, you will find somethign that doens't live up to your expectations. 

People just need to stop trying to get themselves all worked up over something which isnt yet, and just wait for it to become what it really is.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

Originally posted by Kyleran

I bash, because I can.  image

No, seriously, I enjoy forum PVP, probably can be caught arguing either side of almost any issue as long as it keeps the discussion going further.

I am impervious to flaming, namecalling or accusations of being a troll. (as those are only found in fantasy worlds, no such thing here in real life.)

I don't need any real motivation other than someone starts a thread, (I rarely start them btw) so I will feel obligated to respond to it.

Hey, how the heck am I supposed to keep my post count up? image

Lol,nice that reminds me of the South park episode where the dude gets so powerfull he kills everybody in WOW,Kyleran is now that player impervious and above all flameing and trolling !!

Wonder if Mmmorpg.com have a sword of a thousand truths image

p>
  • bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

I'm curious about why people complain over and over about repetitive SWTOR bashing posts when all they have to do is not open and read threads with titles that are plainly obviously that. If you don't read them then they can't annoy you, unless you like being annoyed and posting about it here. As other have said, people are pissed off by a game they feel has fallen far short of what the hype suggested. Whether you find this justified or not, they have the right to post about it that's what a public forum is for, you have the right not to read it. Or you can choose to disagree and discuss it, who knows it might be the only productive discussion in 10,000 similar threads. But what tends to happen is the person gets insulted and abused till the moderators close the thread. Rinse and repeat.      

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Some of us are just more passionate than others. These games should have been way more than what they are today.

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

Some of the comments in this thread made me chuckle. (for good and bad reasons) (opinion inception was great)

@OP I totally get where you're coming from, I've wonder the same as well.

Honestly though, I couldn't care less how many negative reviews are posted how many times so long as it keeps people's reviews out of the general discussion forum.  I'll save you guys from some butt-pulled percentage but a majority of general discussion threads get derailed into bickering over people's opinions of the game and it's almost always started by the 'hater' brand sticking their off topic criticism into a thread.

It's gotten so bad that I've started to look like the white knight defender of swtor despite the gripes and grievances I have with the game.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

My suspicion is it is a problem with people who play only MMORPGs.  These people want a game to baby sit them for 40 hours a week.  This is the average life span of a GAME a FULL GAME.  Really good games will last between 100-200 hours, meaning it will last them a month.

So SWTOR has enough content for your FIRST playthrough to last you one month.  To everyone else but MMORPG players this makes it a GOOD game.  To an MMORPG player they are looking to subscribe their life to a game.  The initial players to leave this game were people who chewed up all the content for a one time playthrough and angrily indicated they did not want to play it anymore as it would not provide them a YEAR of entertainment.

Almost anyone who reviews non-MMORPG games gives this game a favorable review usually a 9.

It's a standards thing.  When you look at an MMORPG player try and make a system for rating this game it's always retarded 900 point experience individually rating every micro experience in the game.

The game comes with a free month and the price tag puts it at the same value as Skyrim or Modern Warfare 3 which both have less play value.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I've never understood those people either.  I dislike a lot of games, but I don't make it my lifes work to trash-talk them repeatedly (on a forum that they'll never read) for weeks, then months, then years.   On the flip side are the fanboys that will defend "their" game at any given oppurtunity and say how great it is in any thread they post in (Even if the thread has nothing to do with their game).

I'm guessing these people:

A: Aren't that bright.

or

B: Don't have anything better to do and take MMO's way too serious.

or

C: A combination of the two.

That may sound a little harsh, but I can't think of anything else.   

• BilboDogginsBilboDoggins Member Posts: 198

The negative reviews are just balancing things out since at the beggining there were so many positive reviews from "professional" reviewers who played the game to lvl 10 and called it the next step in MMO evolution!

Positive SWTOR reviews= People who played the game to lvl 10 or at best to the end of Act 1.

Negative reviews= People who played from the end of Act 1 to endgame raiding where this game is absolute shite.

Which reviews should people take seriously? The ones from people who played the game for 3 hours and loved it or the ones from people who played it for 150+ and found it it was crap?

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

I’m curious. Thanks.

If it's a "review" then there is nothing wrong with pointing out the issues according to the reviewer.  Do not confuse reviews with "I hate this game" posts.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

I’m curious. Thanks.

The irony of a good product, is you'll see a majority agreement.  The reality of a piss poor product, is you'll see a lot of very vocal people.  I'm not gonna bash SW:ToR but I will say that I love epic fantasy and am just waiting for an in depth medieval mmorpg.  I have said nice things about the game to other folks, in the same tone as when I saw MW3 or Black Ops has some cool aspects.

The genre as a whole is just broken as far as I'm concerned.  THe old mmorpg style of making mmorpgs is just dead.  No more EQ1s, no more Asheron's Call, or Dark Age of Camelot type games, just to name a few style examples.  It's all instant gratification cut and paste dummed down products.  Which is fine for a lot of folks since they seem to be feeding the developers well.

• AtheenahAtheenah Member Posts: 58

The genre as a whole is just broken as far as I'm concerned.  THe old mmorpg style of making mmorpgs is just dead.  No more EQ1s, no more Asheron's Call, or Dark Age of Camelot type games, just to name a few style examples.  It's all instant gratification cut and paste dummed down products.  Which is fine for a lot of folks since they seem to be feeding the developers well.

Yes, i agree. They all look the same.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

it's the new cool game to hate that's why a lot of gamer forum behavior is irational trying to find a sound reason for it , is to do your brain and your free time a disservice