Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What has changed?

RasereiRaserei webster, MAPosts: 1,011Member

I played EQ2 at launch. Loved it as my bard (Forgot the name).... I also played EQ1 at launch... Both games I never got to into mainly cause of one fact.

The game loses a lot of content if you dont have a constant group. Zone rare spawn/bosses unbeatable without a group, dungeons (with no group finding feature).... It was a huge turn off for me on both games.

Now, many many years later, what has changed about EQ2. Is there a better group finding system? Updated crafting? More solo friendly?

Still has a large population? (On the pay servers)

Comments

• itchmonitchmon west islip, NYPosts: 1,714Member Uncommon

antonia bayle (at least, the last time i was there) has a very good pop.

it's still more group oriented than, say wow, but it's more easy to solo than it was @ launch for sure.  and more "forgiving" overall.

still a great game TBH my least favourite part of it is the company who publishes it.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, DFUW

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• RasereiRaserei webster, MAPosts: 1,011Member

How does the free to play work?

I think I only own the original EQ2. Im confused because I have 2 station accounts for some reason....

Under pass details: 

Account 1:

Enabled Features:

• Entitlement: Desert of Flames + In-Game Item: Genie Bottle

• Entitlement: Echoes of Faydwer

• Entitlement: Kingdom of Sky

• Entitlement: Rise of Kunark

• Entitlement: Sentinel's Fate

• Entitlement: The Bloodline Chronicles

• Entitlement: The Fallen Dynasty

• Entitlement: The Shadow Odyssey All-In-One Pack

• Entitlement: The Splitpaw Saga

• EverQuest II Silver Membership

• In game Item: 30 slot bag

• In game Item: Expendables Starter Pack

• In game Item: Starter furniture kit

• In-Game Item: Booster Pack & Frozen Fingers

• In-Game Item: Carnivorous Plant

• In-Game Item: Cloak of the Void (requires The Shadow Odyssey)

• In-Game Item: Clockwork Copter

• In-Game Item: Cockatrice House Pet

• In-Game Item: Gazing Orb

• In-Game Item: Mysterious Shard

• In-Game Item: Paintings of EQII

• In-Game Item: Pet Monkey

• In-Game Item: Picture of the Desert of Ro

• In-Game Item: Resevered for Veteran of VGD

• In-Game Item: Ring of T'Haen

• In-Game Item: Starter Furniture Pack

• In-Game Item: Talking Statues

• In-Game Items: EQII Living Legacy Promo Items

• Starter and Booster Pack: Oathbreaker Set

• Universal Trial: Green Journeyman's Cloak & Potion Pack

Account 2:

Enabled Features:

• Entitlement: Auction Beta

• Entitlement: Desert of Flames + In-Game Item: Genie Bottle

• Entitlement: Echoes of Faydwer

• Entitlement: Kingdom of Sky

• Entitlement: Rise of Kunark

• Entitlement: Sentinel's Fate

• Entitlement: The Bloodline Chronicles

• Entitlement: The Fallen Dynasty

• Entitlement: The Shadow Odyssey All-In-One Pack

• Entitlement: The Splitpaw Saga

• EverQuest II Silver Membership

• In game Item: 30 slot bag

• In game Item: Expendables Starter Pack

• In game Item: Starter furniture kit

• In-Game Item: Carnivorous Plant

• In-Game Item: Cloak of the Void (requires The Shadow Odyssey)

• In-Game Item: Clockwork Copter

• In-Game Item: Cockatrice House Pet

• In-Game Item: Gazing Orb

• In-Game Item: Heritage

• In-Game Item: Mysterious Shard

• In-Game Item: Paintings of EQII

• In-Game Item: Pet Monkey

• In-Game Item: Picture of the Desert of Ro

• In-Game Item: Ring of T'Haen

• In-Game Item: Starter Furniture Pack

• In-Game Item: Talking Statues

• In-Game Items: EQII Living Legacy Promo Items

• Universal Trial: Green Journeyman's Cloak & Potion Pack

Both have a few different things. Which account should I start on and do I need to purchase the expansions?

How much am I looking at paying if I just wanna play the old way with a subscription?

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common

Originally posted by Raserei

How does the free to play work?

Both accts have a few different things. Which account should I start on and do I need to purchase the expansions?

How much am I looking at paying if I just wanna play the old way with a subscription?

all accts have all expansions through Sentinels Fate and can level to 90 without buying any other expansion

the 2 expansions not included are Destiny of Velious and Age of Discovery - each have to be bought seperately

I recommend subbing with your oldest acct so you have better veteran rewards

I also recommend the Freeport server,

its the youngest server (less than 2 years old) and not top heavy like the other servers

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Surrey, BCPosts: 333Member

I tried the game out after years of unsubbing. It's a gimped to play nightmare. I couldn't use many of my armor pieces anymore, even though i earned them before they went to pay to play. I'm not about to shell out money for something i think i already earned when i was subbed. I'd give this nickel and dime nightmare a pass and move onto something that isn't gimped.

Archlinux ftw

• tixylixtixylix gfff, TNPosts: 1,208Member Uncommon

Voice Overs were ditched and taken out

PVE has been dumbed down and made even easier than WoW

PVP was put in but is still broken

Crafting was dumbed down and made easier

Most the servers are dead

If they released a classic server I'd play it, I'm playing Project 1999, Feenix Vanilla WoW and SWGEmu and they're all far better than the official servers. Sadly there is no classic EQ2 server because the game was never liked by a huge amount of people, it sort of got released and forgotten about thanx to WoW, I swear my server died by Jan 2005.

• ariestearieste toronto, ONPosts: 3,308Member Common

Now, many many years later, what has changed about EQ2. Is there a better group finding system? Updated crafting? More solo friendly?

Better group finding system?  

no.  there is no better group-finding than typing "lfg" in chat.  the sooner most developers realize this and stop trying to re-invent the mousetrap, the better.  they did add a "dungeon finder" which is just as retarded as it is in every other game that has one.

updated crafting?

yes.  since launch the making of components was taken out, which dumbed down the crafting system even more.  it's still a massive grind of making the same useless crap over and over for no reason.

more solo friendly?

yes.  most of the old areas were either revamped or nerfed so that they can now be soloed either at even level or shortly thereafter.  the developers realize taht in a 7-year-old game there is very little grouping at lower levels, so they have made it very easy for someone to get to level cap solo.  

still large populations on pay servers?

depends on the server i suppose, but on any given day, at any hour of the day, there are more people in 80-89 chat in EQ2 than there are in any area of TOR (which i'm playing on the busiest Euro server).   So take that as you will.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2
    Currently Playing: EQ2, Firefall

Originally posted by tixylix

This by the way is complete bullshit.  The last (real) expansion took the longest time of any expansion in EQ2 to get completely cleared and the latest (real) expansion (DoV) still has not been cleared by any guild worldwide despite having been released more than a year ago.  And this (the difficulty part) is true not only for raid content, but for heroic (single-group) content, questing and even collections. 

The game has been tweaked so there is more available content for the more casual players that is "easier", but this has also allowed the developers to increase the amounst of more difficult content.  

There are lots of serious issues with the last year of EQ2's content, but "lack of difficulty" is certainly not one of them.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO

• teakboisteakbois Parlin, NJPosts: 2,154Member

I played EQ2 at launch. Loved it as my bard (Forgot the name).... I also played EQ1 at launch... Both games I never got to into mainly cause of one fact.

The game loses a lot of content if you dont have a constant group. Zone rare spawn/bosses unbeatable without a group, dungeons (with no group finding feature).... It was a huge turn off for me on both games.

One thing no one has touched on crafting:

Crafting has SIGNIFICANTLY added content in terms of quests and such.  Crafters get mount quests and epic quests for nstance, as well as added quests to get rare mats and expert books as you level. I think the crafting mechanc itself is kind of boring (VGs is much better), but crafters have far more to do in this game then any of the other games one the market besides VG..

Check out the f2p.  You are limited to expert spells and master crafted gear, but that is more than enough until you are in your upper 80s.  If you see a piece of gear you MUST equip, the gear attuners are 50 cents each.

Population is decent for a game its age, but of ocurse its top heavy.  the mentor system is absolutely wonderful though and if you make some friends they can mentor to you and join you.  

• tixylixtixylix gfff, TNPosts: 1,208Member Uncommon

Originally posted by arieste

This by the way is complete bullshit.  The last (real) expansion took the longest time of any expansion in EQ2 to get completely cleared and the latest (real) expansion (DoV) still has not been cleared by any guild worldwide despite having been released more than a year ago.  And this (the difficulty part) is true not only for raid content, but for heroic (single-group) content, questing and even collections. 

The game has been tweaked so there is more available content for the more casual players that is "easier", but this has also allowed the developers to increase the amounst of more difficult content.  

There are lots of serious issues with the last year of EQ2's content, but "lack of difficulty" is certainly not one of them.

Hasn't been cleared cause very few players are actually playing EQ2 anymore. Put the same dungeons in WoW and they'd be cleared in a day.

• JooknowJooknow Sacramento, CAPosts: 18Member

Hasn't been cleared cause very few players are actually playing EQ2 anymore. Put the same dungeons in WoW and they'd be cleared in a day.

It's true that WoW has a singificantly larger playerbase, but none of the current (i.e. last expansion) raid content in EQ2 is PUG-able, whereas in WoW it is.  The guild I played in when DoV was released had no problem fielding a full raid, but was still unable to take out the first boss in the easiest raid zone over the course of several nights - though admittedly we weren't a very skilled guild.  My point being: the EQ2 current content is actually difficult, whether or not anybody is playing the game.

• fivorothfivoroth LondonPosts: 3,661Member Uncommon

Both WoW and EQ2 have some pretty tough raiding encounters. People who cry that WoW's raiding is dumbed down are people who have never raided properly or did the faceroll intro raids. Same for EQ2.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

This is more bullshit. 

There are 300+ active raid guilds that have cleared at least ONE FULL RAIDZONE in the current expansion.  That's at least 24 players each and that not counting pick-up raids and others that don't post their progression.  And that's just raiding, so i'm not even takling about casual guilds and guilds that only do X2 content, etc.

Also, the population has nothing to do with difficulty.  If something is "easy", then even one guild can kill it.  Also, lower population would mean the best players are less spreadout and stuff actually gets killed faster.  Please don't talk about things you have no clue about.

If you want to tell me that EQ2 content is too easy, post a screenshot of you killing Soren, HM Statue or HM Vallon and THEN tell me how easy it was.  I seriously doubt you've killed or even pulled anything even remotely challenging in EQ2.  (The fact that you say these dungeons can be cleared in a day by different people just shows your total ignorance even of what it takes to enter these zones.)

- Raph Koster

• JakardJakard 98390, WAPosts: 415Member

Here's my opinion from someone who really loves Everquest 2.

It isn't the same game it was at launch. I honestly think it was a better game at launch. I'm not sure how long you played for after launch but Sony saw the popularity of World of Warcraft and did their best to make the game more "accessible" and easier for players. I don't know it it really worsened the game but it made the game different. But it's still fun... it's free... why not come back? :)

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member

Originally posted by fivoroth

Both WoW and EQ2 have some pretty tough raiding encounters. People who cry that WoW's raiding is dumbed down are people who have never raided properly or did the faceroll intro raids. Same for EQ2.

Having played both games at a high end progression level, EQ2 has by far the tougher raid encounters. Although it's clear they release obviously broken encounters to gate off progression sometimes.

Raids are pretty much unbeatable in EQ2 without 3rd party programs telling you incoming curses and having split second reactions. For me WoW was just going through the motions of what everyone should be able to do in a normal dungeon - just with organising more people who arent completely useless at their role.

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member

Server populations are big enough to find groups and raids if you desire. Its not as busy as it used to be in RoK / TSO, but thats to be expected at its age. Also - all the servers are now F2P servers, theres no F2P / P2P barrier anymore.

They have a LFG system, but its horrible, you are better off organising your own group in global chat.

Pretty much all content below Level 90 is soloable if you are a capable player, due to the severe overpoweredness that gear changes and AA have introduced. Once you get DoV gear then even old level 90 content becomes soloable by most tanks / healers / chanters (or really good dps players).