Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzom or Istaria

zite4321zite4321 Member Posts: 51

I'm trying to decide in which game to invest my time in. I'm looking for a few things. I've found some of these answeres but they didn't seem to be very detailed.

I see that on Istaria you can level by being a crafter. I love to craft. I'd like a game that has at least somewhat realistic crafting. Also doesn't require you to actually have to go out looking for specific nodes in high level areas. I can understand some adventuring might be needed to gather certain materials for crafting but I want to actually 'feel' like a crafter. Not a swordsman mindlessly slaying monsters to reach a node. On the subject of slaying monsters, now if the monsters actually dropped items that were needed for crafting. I think Ryzom might have some of this, basically where an animal will drop items that are needed for crafting. Much like UO, where you could kill a hind and skin it. 

Does Ryzom have player housing? If so, are you capable of actually crafting a house yourself? I believe you can do this Istaria.

Any information regarding either one of these games, and possibly any comparisons would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• brash99brash99 Member UncommonPosts: 94

Ryzom has instanced apartments in certain towns only, unlike Istaria's really cool system of designing your entire housing plot at places throughout the world. I would love it if Ryzom housing were more like Istaria's. Istaria also probably has a much greater range of TYPE of items to craft, not just "combat related gear" which is the bulk of Ryzom crafting. Although Ryzom's overall system is much more unique and complex.

I haven't played Istaria for many years but I seem to recall in both games, there being a need to go into very dangerous areas for high level crafting materials, making it difficult for a solo pure crafter, although in Ryzom especially you could probably find many of the crafting mats you need rather inexpensive at  the "auction house" (or whatever their player trade centers are called).

I don't know anymore how stable the player economy is in either game (an important issue for a pure crafter, as its no fun making items unless you have people wanting to use your wares). Ryzom has a much more charming overall artistic style and more unique systems involving weather, animal migration, seasonal changes etc.

Another game to explore for a non-combat  "pure" crafting character, is maybe Wurm Onlin e (I have a bias as its my favorite game since AC1). Another interesting game for a noncombat crafter/trader type is Unchartered Waters Online.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

any more updates to this?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• bishop916bishop916 Member UncommonPosts: 49

I am seeing maybe 10-15 people in the starting area alone in Ryzom, maybe more. I am assuming there is more on the mainland. So as far as I can see for sure is 15+ online at any given moment in the starting area of Ryzom.

From what I am hearing Istaria boasts these numbers overall at any given time? If someone could clarify that would be awesome. I won't go into a game that is showing worldwide numbers of 10 players - I'd rather not waste my time in a ghosttown.

- B916

• BLueBEarBLueBEar Member Posts: 242

Originally posted by zite4321
    I'm trying to decide in which game to invest my time in. I'm looking for a few things. I've found some of these answeres but they didn't seem to be very detailed.
    I see that on Istaria you can level by being a crafter. I love to craft. I'd like a game that has at least somewhat realistic crafting. Also doesn't require you to actually have to go out looking for specific nodes in high level areas. I can understand some adventuring might be needed to gather certain materials for crafting but I want to actually 'feel' like a crafter. Not a swordsman mindlessly slaying monsters to reach a node. On the subject of slaying monsters, now if the monsters actually dropped items that were needed for crafting. I think Ryzom might have some of this, basically where an animal will drop items that are needed for crafting. Much like UO, where you could kill a hind and skin it. 
    Does Ryzom have player housing? If so, are you capable of actually crafting a house yourself? I believe you can do this Istaria.
    Any information regarding either one of these games, and possibly any comparisons would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoy crafting give Wurm Online a try, don't let the graphics fool you.

Oh my got!!!
    i neber see a graphic of this before,
    i neber p2p any game before, but this game i must!

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

If you are into housing -- there is NOTHING that has been done better in that regard than dragon laircrafting. 

Dragon flight is done very well also.

But you actually have to pay to play a dragon as opposed to one of the other races -- it is worth it though.

---

If Horizons(Istaria) hadnt had such huge system requirements at release and wasnt so very incomplete at release, it would have fared tons better.

• BlueProteusBlueProteus Member UncommonPosts: 85

I like to craft too, but had a hard time getting past the graphics of Istaria. Check out the screenshots at their site, and ask yourself if you could deal with that. If you can, then you will probably like the depth of the crafting in Istaria.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably go with Ryzom. Still a ton of depth to crafting, but much better graphics IMO.

Playing: Various Stuff
    Played: AC, AoC, ArcheAge, BDO, CoX, EQ2, Eve, GW, LotRO, Ryzom, SWG, SWtOR, Vanguard, WoW, Etc.

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417

Ryzom : - excellent ressource gathering / crafting system

- great outdoor exploration, vibrant wildlife

Istaria :  - excellent --non-- instanced house / village building & crafting

- Better choice of race / professions

More than any others games in mmorpg history,

these are probably the 2 who ever deserved a big expansion or a sequel.

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

• bishop916bishop916 Member UncommonPosts: 49

Originally posted by vladww

More than any others games in mmorpg history,

these are probably the 2 who ever deserved a big expansion or a sequel.

I totally agree. The fact that these games have even been kept going after being turned off etc is a testament to the draw that true sandbox games have. Wow/Tor/Rift are fun games, and the slew of copycats will tell you that the model is a successful one. But, not everyone likes to play themepark MMOs -  if these games were to have an honest AAA redux - they would be amazing and I'm sure alot of the resentment and hatred on these forums and others would disappear.

- B916