Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alt replayability

spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

How is the alt replayability in this game?

We already know all races share the same starting zone, which REALLY sucks, but what about the rest of the game?

I mean the world seems pretty huge, and it has 0 loading screens, is it like wow where there are multiple zones for X level range? (10-20, 20-30, 30-35, etc)

One of my main gripes about SWTOR was the lack of alt replayability, having to do the same planets all over again on an alt was a deal breaker.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
otacu

Comments

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

i think alt replayablity comes down to how much the individual likes the game.  if  you like the game a lot you wont mind leveling up another character.  if you hate the game, why would you roll an alt and put yourself the torture of leveling up another toon.

I've got the straight edge.

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

Originally posted by brody71

i think alt replayablity comes down to how much the individual likes the game.  if  you like the game a lot you wont mind leveling up another character.  if you hate the game, why would you roll an alt and put yourself the torture of leveling up another toon.

QFT. I enjoyed WoW but i couldn't stand making an alt. on the other hand i already have 2 alts above lvl 40 in swtor :p

Originally posted by synn

QFT. I enjoyed WoW but i couldn't stand making an alt. on the other hand i already have 2 alts above lvl 40 in swtor :p

i didnt mention swtor or wow in my post. it started off "i think" i stated what i think about the op's  post.  so no, you QFT.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Weird but true I guess. All my alts in WoW started in human area, which was the only starter area I enjoyed the most, regardless of how many times I repeated it.

• infliction79infliction79 Member Posts: 5

Brody, synn wasn't trying to insult you, quite the opposite QFT means "quoted for truth"

oh, my alopogies then i thought it meant quit f'ing trolling.  Sorry.

Originally posted by Xasapis

Weird but true I guess. All my alts in WoW started in human area, which was the only starter area I enjoyed the most, regardless of how many times I repeated it.

same, all my toons in wow were undead cause i loved deathknell and brill. 

• coolgycoolgy Member UncommonPosts: 61

Combat mechanics are very different from class to class, also different races all have their very own armor designs for each armor type (heavy, light and cloth) so if you roll different races you'll see new armors which you may have not before.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Good question.

I would like to know that as well. Are there different paths to follow in terms of zones.

Simple question, no answer yet :-)

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by coolgy

Combat mechanics are very different from class to class, also different races all have their very own armor designs for each armor type (heavy, light and cloth) so if you roll different races you'll see new armors which you may have not before.

Exactly this to me anyways, the classes seem to all have very different ways of playing. Lancer, Berzerker, Archer, Mystic, Priest, Warrior, Slayer, Archer all play pretty differently.

Some have charges, some have range, some have dodges, some have blocks...different movement/attack speeds, different roles. 

Originally posted by jazz.be

Good question.

I would like to know that as well. Are there different paths to follow in terms of zones.

Simple question, no answer yet :-)

none that i know of, ive only been to lvl 16 though.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Once you reach Lumbertown (or whatever it was called) you are sent towards two different directions. One is towards a forest and eventually the basilisk area up north and another towards a rocky terrain like area down south.

The main quest though travels through both those areas, but with the quests alone from either you can level enough to do the first instance.

• TeargasTeargas Member UncommonPosts: 3

Personally I'm glad they only made 1 starting zone. IMO not much sense in spending a lot of time developing 6 different zones that take maybe 1-2 hours to get through and doing it with only a handful of skills. Let's be honest, leveling from 1-10 would very likely be a bit boring no matter what zone it was done in.

That's just my take on it though.

We don't exist but we will get you.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Originally posted by Teargas

Personally I'm glad they only made 1 starting zone. IMO not much sense in spending a lot of time developing 6 different zones that take maybe 1-2 hours to get through and doing it with only a handful of skills. Let's be honest, leveling from 1-10 would very likely be a bit boring no matter what zone it was done in.

I agree, in Lineage 2 it usually ended with you porting to the zone where you could advance fastest anyway.

• TeargasTeargas Member UncommonPosts: 3

Originally posted by Kuro1n

I agree, in Lineage 2 it usually ended with you porting to the zone where you could advance fastest anyway.

Exactly. The starting zones in L2 were pretty huge as well, spent so much time running around rather than progressing. And in the end you'd have spent most likely less than 1% of your total gametime there. They were well-made though, for the most part, but I can't help but think that effort could have been better placed elsewhere.

We don't exist but we will get you.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I think I like QFT= Quit Fu**ing Trolling better than Quote For Truth lol =)

I doubt I will roll an alt if I play this game. Just being in the beta everyone starts in the same area, so at least for a good portion of the game you will be doing the exact same quests.

But then again I am not a huge alt guy either. It all depends on what you like to do I guess. Some people love alts.

Agreed, the starting zones in most MMOs are really boring, so why use all the time to make 6-7 zones dedicated to characters with low level skills just spamming the same enemy with a different skin.

I want TERA to focus on content and making more BAMs with unique and even more complex AIs.

• GlyalithGlyalith Member UncommonPosts: 35

As many people have already posted each class has a different play style which will help with easing you enjoying an alt and doing the same content.  There are no different story lines as of what I have played so it's all basically the same.

I think really what you need to do is see if you enjoy the combat, if you do I think you will enjoy playing all the classes.  The leveling curve is pretty soft so far (this could change after beta) so at the early levels you are just cruising through.  It does get slower as you get higher but nothing to bad even with my experience playing on the Korean servers.

I personally enjoyed the combat system and I tried 3 different classes this time around on the NA servers and I had a lot of fun.  The one thing I also will say is when you play these types of games the one thing that really helps me is playing with people.  It makes my experience so much better to the point where you don't feel like you're grinding anything but just talking with friends as you move your mouse around and hit buttons on your keyboard lol.  I know everyone likes to play differently but as I am getting older now I find it so much more fun to have a good time with friends while being able to do something "interactive"  In todays world where most people just sit on Facebook and chat with friends and post status updates it's really no different then playing an online rpg with friends.  Hell if you go to your character screen in Tera I think you can post a "status" haha built in face book!

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

I personally hate how there is only one starting zone. To me, having each race have their own land really helps create a sense of a world. That's just me though. It also can help with alts as different starting areas can help make the experience feel new again on a different character.

I sound like I am in the minority here, but oh well ;) TERA just isn't for me I don't think. I really loved the combat, graphics and spells, but nothing more. I wish there was at least two sides so PvP would have some meaning.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

I  hope I can check out all zones tomorrow on the map, and hopefully it says what the recommended level is.

That way I'll know how the leveling will be when it comes to zones.

• bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221

so far, just from level 1-22 it's all quest hub anyways and the XP from quests far out weighs the XP from just random grinding so you are pretty much just hunting where the quests tell you to hunt...  Of course there are lots of bosses and such along the way.  Each area definitely has it's recommended level zone.

As far as alts go you will be following pretty much the exact path as the last one, but the action of the fights will be very different.

again this is just from what I've seen, levels 1 through 22.

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

Unless you really like the combat aspect (which is great), I would say this is one of the least alt friendly MMOs to come out in awhile as far as leveling is concerned.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

1 starting zone and 1 leveling path = an absolute guarantee of less subs

It makes the world seem small and generic, and it cost Rift heavily.

Originally posted by teakbois

1 starting zone and 1 leveling path = an absolute guarantee of less subs

It makes the world seem small and generic, and it cost Rift heavily.

While this may be true, TERA opens up fast, it's almost three times the size of Rift right now.

I also think the leveling path may vary because I noticed same level monsters in completely opoosite direction, on the closed beta I traveled south of Velika to the desert and found 38s, I traveled North and also found 35-40s in three different locations, the desert, poporia and north towards Castanica.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

oh, my alopogies then i thought it meant quit f'ing trolling.  Sorry.

LOL!  Awesome!  Sad thing is, on this site, it's perfectly understandable why somone would thinki QFT would mean that.  Anyway, thanks for the much needed laugh.  :)