Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cash shop info has been changed

Comments

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by k-damage

Oh man ... As GW2 being the last hope in searching for the right MMO, I just beg ANet for not screwing things up with MTs.

If they do, I think we could say the MMO genre is definitely cursed.

you realy think ANET is going to miss the moneytrain on cash shops.....RLY?

remember that ANET is ex-blizz people......they can sell you a smoking pile of sh** and people will still buy it.

I hope for all you hyped up peeps its going to be all but goodies.....but me, i am waiting untill after it hits the store and wait untill some people are actually playing the live version b4 i buy......no more pre-orders for me.

From now on i'll let the dumb people buy and complain about all the bad games around and i will buy the one that has actually been tested by the players and then decide if its my kinda game.

• satire3rdsatire3rd Member Posts: 16

Instead of looking at it in the way of "Getting in game items through the cash shop" maybe the wording was changed so that the Cosmetic items -which were previously going to be available only through the cash shop - can now actually be gotten in the game by spending the time to "grind" for them.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by ice-vortex

Found this on GW2Guru.

Now:

Will there be micro-transactions or things to buy which don't come with the box, like character slots?

Yes, micro-transactions will exist. Be assured goods and items bought for cash in GW2 do not offer any advantage over those available in the game through the investment of time.

Previously:

Will there be micro-transactions or things to buy which don't come with the box, like character slots?

Yes, micro-transactions will exist. These will be cosmetic additions which will not affect balance or gameplay, similar to the transactions offered by Guild Wars.

Source:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/gw2-cash-shop-info-changes-t27513.html

You forgot to copy/paste the best part.

ArenaNet Staff

Originally Posted by Martin Kerstein

As usual, everybody just needs to calm down a bit. This change was done to actually make the wording easier to understand – seems like that was not the case.

But the statement in it is still the same: Nothing you will be able to buy in the in-game store will give you an advantage over people who are not buying anything. That is the baseline.

This is enough to calm the over reactions....

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

This thread is cracking me up.  The game is months and months away from being launched and people seem to be nit-picking at every little thing ANET does.  I would agree the change in the wordage seems a bit odd, but untill the game releases, only ANET knows what the game will hold.  So, lets all calm the frack down and wait and see.....

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by Master10K

I find it funny how every time one of these threads emerges on GW2guru, an ArenaNet dev always has to come and reassure folk that the sky isn't falling again. When will Guild Wars 2 fanatics learn. image

"As usual, everybody just needs to calm down a bit. This change was done to actually make the wording easier to understand – seems like that was not the case.

But the statement in it is still the same: Nothing you will be able to buy in the in-game store will give you an advantage over people who are not buying anything. That is the baseline. "

(source)

nothing more needs to be said on this subject /thread

• BaniscoBanisco Member Posts: 240

Ok I have been lurking for a long time but I cant stand it any more, here im going to show how things work in GW1 and how they will work in GW2.

About armors:

1) http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Warrior_Gladiator_armor

2) http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Warrior_Obsidian_armor

1 can be bougth early in the game, its cheap and offers full armor and can be customised to fit anithing you need (more energy, more armor, etc). 

2 is the obsidian armor, the harder set to find and buy, consider that to make it u need to go to Fisure of Woe wich is a hell of place and u have to farm for a long time to get all the ingredients needed. It offers full armor and can be customised like 1. Diference? the looks and prestige.

About weapons:

A) http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Gladius_(short_sword)

B) http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Elemental_Sword

C) http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Destroyer_Sword

A is a common sword that drops from monsters all arround the world. It can have max damage and can be customised.

B is a rare sword found in chests in hard zones, droped from rare monsters (pretty hard) or obtained in zaishen chests (kind of a pvp reward). It have max damage and can be customised.

C is crafted by using some rare items. It have max damage and can be customised.

That 3 swords are equal in power but ones are harder to find that others, the only diference is the look.

There are also costumes ( http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/a/aa/Grenth%27s_Regalia.png ) that can only be obtained via cash shop and dont give any advantage, it just wears over ur normal armor and make u look badass but nothing else.

The point is that someone  using 1 and A could beat someone using 2 and B or C, so not pay to win in any kind, those elite items are the ones who people go for wen they finish the game and want to play more, just that, call it endgame if u want.

• DatarinDatarin Member CommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by Sylvarii

You forgot to copy/paste the best part.

ArenaNet Staff
    Originally Posted by Martin Kerstein As usual, everybody just needs to calm down a bit. This change was done to actually make the wording easier to understand – seems like that was not the case.

But the statement in it is still the same: Nothing you will be able to buy in the in-game store will give you an advantage over people who are not buying anything. That is the baseline.

This is enough to calm the over reactions....

No, no and no. We need more speculation and more non-factual statements on how ANet is going to screw us all over just like every other company that was blessed with a cash shop did. We really need it, just like we need to debunk fake statements on how awesome ANet is that is then backed up by six month old blog posts by ANet on their official blog or a statement from a news article linked by one person that is then ignored for the rest of the thread because hey discussion despite missing the original purpose by a mile and half. Also, all these skeptics that said that GW2 wouldn't work from a fundamental pov are probably right.

(Please don't limit the bag to an unworkable state and sell inventory space, ANet, begging you here. I know you won't (I don't), but damn it, the thought counts.)

Forums: The best real-time interactive MMORPG you'll ever be in.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Personally I have enjoyed all of the overreactions on here and over at GW2Guru. Good entertainment, keep it up folks. Perhaps this will last until the 20th when we'll get some real news.

Originally posted by DJJazzy
    Personally I have enjoyed all of the overreactions on here and over at GW2Guru. Good entertainment, keep it up folks. Perhaps this will last until the 20th when we'll get some real news.

20th or 21st? Early updates was 20th, but then revised to 21st for some reason.

Besides, that doesn't cover the cash shop - most developers don't leave the cash shop in while in beta stages.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

It's the 21st now? Well no big deal. Anyway, I'm not worried one bit about the cash shop. Hell they could sell everything under the sun and I still wouldn't care.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Originally posted by sammyeli

I think you guys might want to consider looking at the GW1 model, so for instance you can get max stat gear as soon as you hit 20 and thats the only time you can really wear it, But if you want FoW gear you have to work hard for it, but its only cosmetic, and status symbol.

So they might be referring to that I think, maybe that if you want some awesome looking gear that you have to work for, it might be avail for you in the shop.

quoting just so somecan actually read if not read before

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by pacov

The meaning is the same it's just differently worded. All that statement is saying is that there will be cosmetics.. its just they won't have any STATS.

It's meaning really isn't the same...

It completely removes the 'hey, don't worry, it will be nice and light like Guild Wars, they said so' fall back statement of most cah shop apologists.

It actually opens the door for alot more of the content (both playable and fluff) to go in there then what was previously assumed.

I love the look of GW2 and remain a fan of it, but I only just tolerate cash shops that sell in game 'prizes' and have to say this is a step in the wrong direction for me.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

I think people want to stop jumping the gun, GW2 wont be a P2W model by any standards,  They sell cosmetic items in their cash shop with GW1 and I believe they will continue to do so with GW2.  The cosmetic items generates enough money for them to invest in their people to make more content.  Its a tested model and it works or they wouldnt offer a B2P model.  And I'm sure they know if they put items that gives players an advantage it wouldnt bode well.  

The Anet team is as passionate about GW2 as most fans and in most cases more so.  They have offered more insight into what they are trying to achieve than most other developers out their and people need to sit back and think and soak in the information thats been freely available the past 18 months,  If you dont know much about what is on offer from the team and what they are trying to achieve then you really dont have much interest in GW2.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Originally posted by FreeBooteR

Originally posted by Scopedog

Originally posted by Kityn

Originally posted by Mellkor

Yes, micro-transactions will exist. Be assured goods and items bought for cash in GW2 do not offer any advantage over those available in the game through the investment of time.

To me that sounds like I could farm a sword for 3 months, Or i could buy it in the shop in 1 minute.

Only difference was the time it took to aquire

I was thinking the same thing.

And in that case, it is an advantage.

Only advantage would be that the person who paid cash for it will get it sooner than a person farming for it.

That is what I'm speaking of.

Instead of actually having to work for a specific weapon or armor, you could possibly buy it straight away in the cash shop.

From my point of view, that is an advantage.

Exactly, that's what i call pay to win.

you mate, you are one confused man.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Because I filled out my Hall of Monuments in GW1 I will be able to fully outfit any and all toons that I make in 5 minutes. It is the same thing. I paid for GW1 and all Campaigns and expansions and I spent a bunch of time getting maxed titles and I get stuff from my HoM that is maxed for your level. There will be ways to max out that gear as you progress through levels. Is what I have done and 100s of thousands have done and are doing Pay to Win?

I cant respond to that reference, seeing as i haven't played GW1.

Buying any gear from the cash shop will be the same as HoM stuff. Btw HoM items you can not get in the game any other way and thus unique.

As for your second part of your post. I do not understand it. I do not think in that way and I know of many people that do not either. Reality is you are NOT at a disadvantage. That would be your perception and not a fact. And everyone has their own perceptions.

I should of worded that better, as i don't support that mentality, but have encountered it in many games.

Hate to use wow as a reference, but last time i played, if you tried to run a current teir 1 raids in blues you would be shut down for not having epics.

I know gw2 runs on a different model, but how many people do you think would drop cash into a shop to avoid that problem? Im guessing a profitable amount that's why RMT shops exist.

perception? if it happened it is fact.

You are wrong here, in GW there is different problem lately. For instance to have place in Underworld run you need to have certain amount of itmes (Ghastly stones somewhere between 50 and 100+) to show or you wont be invited to the "pro" team. The problem is that, this Ghastly stones drop from the last boss in Underworld, the same instance. This is broken circle. You cant join good team, cus you dont have this items that drop only if you complete the dungeon. Something more! You can buy this stones and present it as yours, they are not bound and can be trade, so that way you can "lie" to the team that you are expirienced.

The whole GW2 philosophy break this kind of arangement and I'm really glad for this.

In GW the items from the CS are really nothing more then skins or Char slots and "Bank slots".

The thing that is important in GW is the expirience

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by mazut

You are wrong here, in GW there is different problem lately. For instance to have place in Underworld run you need to have certain amount of itmes (Ghastly stones somewhere between 50 and 100+) to show or you wont be invited to the "pro" team. The problem is that, this Ghastly stones drop from the last boss in Underworld, the same instance. This is broken circle. You cant join good team, cus you dont have this items that drop only if you complete the dungeon. Something more! You can buy this stones and present it as yours, they are not bound and can be trade, so that way you can "lie" to the team that you are expirienced.

The whole GW2 philosophy break this kind of arangement and I'm really glad for this.

In GW the items from the CS are really nothing more then skins or Char slots and "Bank slots".

The thing that is important in GW is the expirience

but from reading the OP it sounds like they are selling gear with stats.  Not just skins, and bank slots.  Everyone can say well it's Anet it's gw2 it's not like that.  But put that post with another title.  WoW for example.  Everyone would be bashing blizzard like never before becuase it would be percieved as a p2W shop.

I've got the straight edge.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Some people need the ability to read the whole thread before replying to the OP's post.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by FreeBooteR

Originally posted by Kityn

To me that sounds like I could farm a sword for 3 months, Or i could buy it in the shop in 1 minute.

Only difference was the time it took to aquire

I was thinking the same thing.

And in that case, it is an advantage.

Only advantage would be that the person who paid cash for it will get it sooner than a person farming for it.

That is what I'm speaking of.

Instead of actually having to work for a specific weapon or armor, you could possibly buy it straight away in the cash shop.

From my point of view, that is an advantage.

Exactly, that's what i call pay to win.

Well you can play to win also. That happens to suit me as I like to ....well you know ...play.

If you don't pay and dont play you won't win....outrageous.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

But will it look as stocked as SWTOR's soon to be announced cash shop? J/K . . . maybe.

In all seriousness, we'll have to wait and see. If all high-level gear is normalized, then there won't be any "stat-boosted" gear for sale, as this would break the game design. No end-game raid treadmill = no necessity of stat-boosted gear. Perhaps they will sell different skins or "costumes" as they do in the current Guild Wars game.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

Originally posted by brody71
    but from reading the OP it sounds like they are selling gear with stats.  Not just skins, and bank slots.  Everyone can say well it's Anet it's gw2 it's not like that.  But put that post with another title.  WoW for example.  Everyone would be bashing blizzard like never before becuase it would be percieved as a p2W shop.

Everyone would be bashing Blizzard for it because Blizzard has abused the cash shop in no uncertain terms (exclusivity in pets, etc.) which has been perceived as a clear cash grab. Blizzard, also, suffers from poor reputation, in no short thanks to their overlords: Activision.

You can't put ANet in that context since ANet does not suffer from poor reputation - they're well loved in the gaming community - and how ANet has complete creative control over their project, despite being a subsidiary of NCSoft. History and context matters.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

lets go back in time to say 2005 .THERE WAS NEVER JUST COSMETIC IN GW1.yet everything they sold you could get in game relativly easy!yes it took time but it wasnt l2 when it was a grind fest!sso your argument potato or potato is nill yes they rephrased it because the cosmetic stuff actually confused player because they were used to the old ways and didnt want gw2 to become an insane grind with not cash shop a la gw1.

i am quiet happy they finally decided to put the exactly like player of gw1 expected it to be!(cheer)dont sweat it .arenanet might have a chash shop but it is the best chash shop i ever saw  in any b2p or f2p game!

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by drbaltazar

lets go back in time to say 2005 .THERE WAS NEVER JUST COSMETIC IN GW1.yet everything they sold you could get in game relativly easy!yes it took time but it wasnt l2 when it was a grind fest!sso your argument potato or potato is nill yes they rephrased it because the cosmetic stuff actually confused player because they were used to the old ways and didnt want gw2 to become an insane grind with not cash shop a la gw1.

i am quiet happy they finally decided to put the exactly like player of gw1 expected it to be!(cheer)dont sweat it .arenanet might have a chash shop but it is the best chash shop i ever saw  in any b2p or f2p game!

reading ur posts always give me an headache, and makes me seriously doubt about my ability to read english.

Anyway, I got no idea what u are trying to say, they didnt just have cosmetic stuff?

Well nice one sherlock, they have character slots, bank slots, hero packs, skill packs (for pvpers etc.) so whats ur point?

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• ScopedogScopedog Member Posts: 64

I'm guessing you're talking about the elite skills and such for PvP, which you could either buy directly via the cash shop or get via playing the game. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this)

Because other than that, from what I know, the cosmetic clothes were shop exclusive.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Originally posted by Fir3line

reading ur posts always give me an headache, and makes me seriously doubt about my ability to read english.

Anyway, I got no idea what u are trying to say, they didnt just have cosmetic stuff?

Well nice one sherlock, they have character slots, bank slots, hero packs, skill packs (for pvpers etc.) so whats ur point?

you made my point ,there was never just cosmertic shop this is the point, it is why player in gw1 loved it!i can safly say this is probably the only game that i know that could sell a lot of stuff and none affected gameplay