Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Coming to Asia-Pacific Region March 1st

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Bioware has officially announced that March 1st will mark the launch date of Star Wars: The Old Republic in Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will be available in both Standard and Digital Deluxe editions. The Standard Edition will retail for $79.99 AUD / $89.99 NZD / $389.00 HKD / $64.00 SGD and the Digital Deluxe Edition of the game, an Origin.com exclusive, will retail for $89.99 AUD / $99.99 NZD / $465.00 HKD / $76.90 SGD. 30 days of game time will be included with every version of the game, and after that time players will be able to continue playing the game by paying a monthly subscription, or by purchasing a 60-Day Pre-Paid Game Time Card

Read the full announcement on the Star Wars: The Old Republic site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

soon asia will matter again!

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Now on to the suckers on the other side of the world :)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

I don't think the gold farmers are too interested in it tbh.

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

Bioware better have drastically increased the amount of exp needed to level up from the NA version otherwise gamers in Hong Kong and Singapore will finish the core game in about a week.   

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Welp scratch what I said about sub numbers dropping in 2nd qtr report. They will see a rise in numbers now

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

Originally posted by Puremallace

Welp scratch what I said about sub numbers dropping in 2nd qtr report. They will see a rise in numbers now

timing.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Nice strategy to buff sub-numbers.

There go my predictions of retention.

We will never find out how this game does when they keep releasing it for separate regions every 3 months and count boxes sold.

The new way to perpetuate an MMO?

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

A rushed launch in the East to subsidise rapidly declining numbers in the West.

Seems they're relying on box sales to recoup their investment rather than longer term subs. A wise decision probably.

you realize this is Australia, HK, Sing, New Zealand and the Islands. A total demographic of maybe 80 million at most.

2 million sales from NA and EU with a demo of 700 million...1/350 ratio. Even at that ratio, which it wont be, would still net a max of 150-200k sales. Mainland China operates under a whole different set of rules.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by jacklo

Seems they're relying on box sales to recoup their investment rather than longer term subs. A wise decision probably.

It's hardly rushed, they have been planning it since long before launch and have said so all along the way. Besides, it's not a propers asian release but rather more for AUS/NZ and a couple of nearby countries on the other continent.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by Kabaal

Originally posted by jacklo

It's hardly rushed, they have been planning it since long before launch and have said so all along the way. Besides, it's not a propers asian release but rather more for AUS/NZ and a couple of nearby countries on the other continent.

My bad, I read it as Asia knowing full well this won't appeal to the Asian audience as it stands.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

most australian players that wanted to play imported the game... i was one of those, i unsubbed 2 days ago before my sub period resubs on the 20th... yes i was in headstart and was playing on launch, might check it out on localized servers for lulz just to see what my latency is, but honestly a week and a half in level 50 (and i work and have a family) nothing todo after that, leveling alts became trivial and overly repetetive so the game didnt offer me much to keep me around...

completed ev nightmare 4/5

kraggas full clear HM after new bosses and first 2 done in nightmare, then guild got bored n stopped playing

should be interesting to see my latency though.. being sub 100ms would be pretty badass for once

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Great move :D glad seing SWTOR expanding, love the game keep improving it, can´t wait till march :D

• oblakoffoblakoff Member UncommonPosts: 1

Decline in the west?

Almost 2 mill subs and raising?

Second Major patch in March? Fixing Bugs every week, great content, great levleing, great operations.

Main opponent keep losing subs, and the shit will get real when annual pass is over...

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by oblakoff

Decline in the west?

Second Major patch in March? Fixing Bugs every week, great content, great levleing, great operations.

Main opponent keep losing subs, and the shit will get real when annual pass is over...

I really like the game, but that said...I want some of whatever you are smoking.  Mainly in regards to the "Almost 2 million subs and rising" comment.  Rising?  Really?  I wish my server hadn't lost nearly half its population, and was rising.  I'm going to have to start a new toon on a new server to play with people again.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by AdamTM

Nice strategy to buff sub-numbers.

There go my predictions of retention.

We will never find out how this game does when they keep releasing it for separate regions every 3 months and count boxes sold.

The new way to perpetuate an MMO?

Wow, stop smelling the paint fumes.  They are opening the game to more people, it is natural that will mean more numbers.  Tin-foil-hat says:  "This must be some kind of conspiracy".

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Kidon

Great move :D glad seing SWTOR expanding, love the game keep improving it, can´t wait till march :D

I can't wait till March as well, betas and ME 3 come out so dope!

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

Decline in the west?

Correction, they sold 2 million boxes and had 1.7 million subs OR players on their free month. That means the population declined by 300k, triple what their "Main opponent" lost.

The only thing that will get real at the end of a year will be that SWTOR is going to be joining WAR and AoC in the big launch and fast decline club.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Originally posted by Distaste

Decline in the west?

Correction, they sold 2 million boxes and had 1.7 million subs OR players on their free month. That means the population declined by 300k, triple what their "Main opponent" lost.

The only thing that will get real at the end of a year will be that SWTOR is going to be joining WAR and AoC in the big launch and fast decline club.

Sure, men i know it is hard for you, but you gonna need to lean how to live in a MMO world where SWTOR is an HUGE success, LIVE WITH IT.   

[Mod Edit]

You see, they are hanging everthing on Browns statement of 1.7 million subs currently. Only he was quoting Ritticello who say they generated 1.7 million subs to date. Brown misquoted him so one could argue that he said we currently "generated" 1.7 million subs. But the biodrones took it as 1.7 million currently.

Go back and read the exact quote, Brown misquoted the original quote.

then we have this follow up question:

Q: Just one really quick follow-up, can you give us a sense for how many of those 1.7 million active subs we can expect to convert to paying subs after the initial

free month?

A: I can tell you that the majority of the 1.7 million are paying subscribers for us currently, which is great considering we're only, like I said, 42 days into the launch and you have a 30-day trial period.

Most of 1.7, in other words 851K or slightly more is most.  This whole 1.7 means 2 million is total nonsense.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

So why are the digital deluxe prices $10 more expensive than the US version? Did they realise Australiasian are too rich and have money to chuck out everywhere?

So why is the standard edition $20 more expensive than the US versions? Because smart Australiasian will understand from NA launch that Digital Deluxe edition is full of junk that doesn't worth the money. I mean, the camera is a bloody zoom in printscreen macro.

But the game itself is pretty awesome.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

Originally posted by Bunks

While i am not optimistic about the game your post is just idiotic. Assuming their 1.7mil subs really were subs then that would make it the most successful game to launch in the west, ever. There would be no decline as subscruption wasn't possible before that point.

Your post just comes across as either bandwagon hopper or hillbilly straw expert.

You see, they are hanging everthing on Browns statement of 1.7 million subs currently. Only he was quoting Ritticello who say they generated 1.7 million subs to date. Brown misquoted him so one could argue that he said we currently "generated" 1.7 million subs. But the biodrones took it as 1.7 million currently.

Go back and read the exact quote, Brown misquoted the original quote.

then we have this follow up question:

Q: Just one really quick follow-up, can you give us a sense for how many of those 1.7 million active subs we can expect to convert to paying subs after the initial

free month?

A: I can tell you that the majority of the 1.7 million are paying subscribers for us currently, which is great considering we're only, like I said, 42 days into the launch and you have a 30-day trial period.

Most of 1.7, in other words 851K or slightly more is most.  This whole 1.7 means 2 million is total nonsense.

woah how dare you post with facts... you must be wrong though... swtor must be upto about 5 million active subscribers by now, even though during peak times 4 at most servers are heavy to full and the rest and standard to light.. and thats not made up... there is an actual page on swtor website that shows current server status... ohhh and my sub runs out in like 6 days so i still get to login and see the server loads for myself when i want too... but clearly still retaining 1.7 million subs

the thing you optimists seem to miss that the realists point out and isnt being a hater or jumping on the bashing bandwagon, is that the data was posted as of 31st december 2011 when the Quarter ended.

the game launched on the 20th of december, 2 million copies were sold, let's assume the other 300k were people who had bought the game but not activated until the new year that 1.7 million people were all people in there first free month of the game who had to enter either a game time card or a credit card to be able to play thus "activating a sucscription" even after you cancel your subscription your account is still marked "active" for however many days still on your account in that current billing cycle.

so i'm really sorry to burst you bubbles but honestly calling people who put up facts and not just heresay and fake %'s to backup there statements dont make them haters or bashers... it makes them realistic and it makes anyone clinging to said 1.7million players and "most successful mmo ever" dellusional to be honest

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    ???? Here in Singapore we have the physical copy since launch, I bought it 1 week after, and so far have no issues with the ping from any game where their servers located at n.a. including this game.

Been playing on the swiftsure, from.full with queue, during our timing, to full only.

Hopefully if we jump over to the new server the current pop is able to sustain itself.

RIP Orc Choppa

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

LoL the AU asking price is more than I paid for my copy from amazon....

I would say "Southern Hemisphere Prepare For SWTOR" but then you would feel even more underwhelmed than I did at launch.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

considering the asians like a grindfest this is gonna go down quicker than the titanic.