Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So... I like PvP...

Comments

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Originally posted by AcmeGamer
    Kaocan, I'm currently at 42nd level with my main character. Once I realized how gear worked I started saving the acomindations and turning them into the merceny accomdinations. I'm trying to max out both to their 1000, currently Im at around 550 on the merc points and oh I snagged one bag of that you purchase with 200 merc points and 200 of the other points.

IWhat I am hoping is that once I hit 50th I can just start turning in and getting the bags and getting geared before I even step into a 50th pvp area/warzone. To bad they won't allow you to store multiple of the merc bags, they are unique and you can't open it until your 50th. lol Would have made this less painful. Anyhow I wondered if this is what some others were doing?

That's what I do, but the gear in bags is pretty random. With comm's on my last toon I had 6 bags and got no gear. Friend of mine got loot in 4 of 6 bags, and that was a pretty big difference in terms of being ready to go into PvP at 50.

I'm not complaining, it's random, but because of the expertise itemization it does hurt. It makes me wish that PvP vendors would have recipie's for mods/armoring/enhancements so the appropriate crafters could make some starter level expertise mods.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Originally posted by MikeJezZ

... And yeah I know that you have to do the main game in PvE mainly first, which is fine by me. I loved Warhammer Online PvP, and Im bored to death with WoW's PvP. Is it worth playing SW:TOR for the PvP part of the game?

No way it can compete with wow when you talk about pvp...

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Originally posted by Baikal

Kaocan, I'm currently at 42nd level with my main character. Once I realized how gear worked I started saving the acomindations and turning them into the merceny accomdinations. I'm trying to max out both to their 1000, currently Im at around 550 on the merc points and oh I snagged one bag of that you purchase with 200 merc points and 200 of the other points.

IWhat I am hoping is that once I hit 50th I can just start turning in and getting the bags and getting geared before I even step into a 50th pvp area/warzone. To bad they won't allow you to store multiple of the merc bags, they are unique and you can't open it until your 50th. lol Would have made this less painful. Anyhow I wondered if this is what some others were doing?

That's what I do, but the gear in bags is pretty random. With comm's on my last toon I had 6 bags and got no gear. Friend of mine got loot in 4 of 6 bags, and that was a pretty big difference in terms of being ready to go into PvP at 50.

I'm not complaining, it's random, but because of the expertise itemization it does hurt. It makes me wish that PvP vendors would have recipie's for mods/armoring/enhancements so the appropriate crafters could make some starter level expertise mods.

Yeah, I actually hit level 50 and valor 50 at the same time. Had a bag in storage and 1000/1000 commendations. I opened my 6 bags right after I levels and got a belt from all of it. 

The good news for me rigth now is I only need 8 more valor ranks to hit BM gear, so I'm just grinding our valor on win or lose to get me there. I'll save whatever commendations I get along the way and finish my daily and weekly as they come. 

It looks like I can mostly skip worrying about gearing up and just wait for the BM gear because i positioned myself right when I hit 50. Its not a luxary many have though unless you level up from PvP xp I guess. 

The bad part about the whole 50s gear is the way they give it out. The bags are better now with the 'progression' commendation handouts, but the RNG on the tokens is more than terrible now (pre BM that is). Its as if they decided earning your gear was bad, that everyone should have the 'fair and balanced' approach. All get the same random chance to succeed in PvP, good, bad, try, or not. 

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

... And yeah I know that you have to do the main game in PvE mainly first, which is fine by me. I loved Warhammer Online PvP, and Im bored to death with WoW's PvP. Is it worth playing SW:TOR for the PvP part of the game?

If you're bored with Wow's PVP you'll be comatose in SWTOR.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

I gotta admit I'm not a fan of that randomization in a hi tech mmorpg. :( I also find it is a step back having to deal with these bags. 

I gotta admit I'm not a fan of that randomization in a hi tech mmorpg. :( I also find it is a step back having to deal with these bags. 

No argument from me here. Personally I think the first thing they need to do to fix PvP in SWTOR is get rid of these bags completely. It is the frontrunner in what is wrong with lvl 50 PvP, everything else can point back to this bag system in one way or another.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Kaocan

No argument from me here. Personally I think the first thing they need to do to fix PvP in SWTOR is get rid of these bags completely. It is the frontrunner in what is wrong with lvl 50 PvP, everything else can point back to this bag system in one way or another.

not sure if its been stated but a recent patch changed it so you get more commendations and the chance at gear in a bag has been greatly diminished.   so its suposed to be a more consistant rate at which you gear up.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Seriously, just give it a try but if you don't like it you can always cancel. I would like EA to introduce a trial account for experiencing PVP, personally.

Originally posted by Laughing-man

not sure if its been stated but a recent patch changed it so you get more commendations and the chance at gear in a bag has been greatly diminished.   so its suposed to be a more consistant rate at which you gear up.

Yes it has been stated, pre-BM bags have been changed to give more commendations and less tokens. BM hasn't changed. Which begs the question though, why have a bag at all other than the RNG chance at the token? Why not just reward the commendations on the quests period, or better yet, allow people to trade up to them with the ones they actually earn in PvP. Warzone to Merc, Merc to ..... to ...... to ...... It would seem logical to me to give just commendations for your daily quests, and commendations AND a token for your weekly. Get rid of the random token item concept all together. Instead of making me hope that bag #17 will actually contain the token I need for my chest piece instead of my 5th token for boots, why not just tell me boots costs 3 tokens and chest cost 6, and let me trade up to tokens if I have enough commendations to get there.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

i did this, when i hit 50 i had 800 of each thats 4 bags, plus i had one that i bought long ago so when i hit 50 i had 5 bags to open. i was thinking awsome maybe i will at least get one piece of gear........

after opening all 5 i got nothing but tokens so i could afford 1 piece of centerion gear that gave me a wopping 30 or so expertise. now im fighting against people who got away with exploiting and have 600+ expertise vs my 30. guess how fast you die when one of those guys hits you?

after opening another 5 bags or so and only getting tokens im starting to think this is a total rip off, especially because its not even fun doing the daily, weekly quest anymore for them. ilam is a total joke and doing the same 3 warzones over and over are boring.

and just so you know this is how ilam works.

there are 5 points to " fight over " wich on my server empire allways control. and all the fighting happens outside the Repub base and this is how it goes down.

40 or so empire stand outside the repub base, 20 or so repubs stand in their base. both sides try over and over to do the pull moves to drag each other out. if the empire pulls a guy out all the raids attack him and try to get the credit for the kill.  if the repub drag a guy then the base turrets one shot him and they get the kill.

we call it fishing its probably the dumbest end game pvp i have ever seen in my life. honestly even Age of Conan failed sieges might of been more fun than this.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Unless you're a fair weather PvPer meaning you like it on occasion but isn't your main focus I would suggest staying away from this game. I can't imagine most that really find PvP as one of their main focal points enjoying this game's take on PvP.

Really depends on how important that aspect is to your gameplay. This game is rather lacking in that area and outside possibly making some tweaks and adding a new warzone or two I don't see them going real overboard on adding things to it. Least not any time soon anyways.

It's okay but I just tinker with it on occasion and frankly there are more than a few issues with it. I simply don't care much about them because that isn't my main focus for the game nor do I tend to take PvP in general very seriously.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Yes it has been stated, pre-BM bags have been changed to give more commendations and less tokens. BM hasn't changed. Which begs the question though, why have a bag at all other than the RNG chance at the token? Why not just reward the commendations on the quests period, or better yet, allow people to trade up to them with the ones they actually earn in PvP. Warzone to Merc, Merc to ..... to ...... to ...... It would seem logical to me to give just commendations for your daily quests, and commendations AND a token for your weekly. Get rid of the random token item concept all together. Instead of making me hope that bag #17 will actually contain the token I need for my chest piece instead of my 5th token for boots, why not just tell me boots costs 3 tokens and chest cost 6, and let me trade up to tokens if I have enough commendations to get there.

Exactly, why I think the bag system is a step backwards to some of the older more clunkly and unsatisfying systems from our past mmorpgs. Totally agree with you Kaocan. I don't look forward to this in 8 more levels, told my son the same thing when I first figured out what system Bioware was using with these bags. Ugh, just a very frustrating system to use.

Originally posted by DrunkWolf

i did this, when i hit 50 i had 800 of each thats 4 bags, plus i had one that i bought long ago so when i hit 50 i had 5 bags to open. i was thinking awsome maybe i will at least get one piece of gear........

after opening all 5 i got nothing but tokens so i could afford 1 piece of centerion gear that gave me a wopping 30 or so expertise. now im fighting against people who got away with exploiting and have 600+ expertise vs my 30. guess how fast you die when one of those guys hits you?

after opening another 5 bags or so and only getting tokens im starting to think this is a total rip off, especially because its not even fun doing the daily, weekly quest anymore for them. ilam is a total joke and doing the same 3 warzones over and over are boring.

and just so you know this is how ilam works.

there are 5 points to " fight over " wich on my server empire allways control. and all the fighting happens outside the Repub base and this is how it goes down.

40 or so empire stand outside the repub base, 20 or so repubs stand in their base. both sides try over and over to do the pull moves to drag each other out. if the empire pulls a guy out all the raids attack him and try to get the credit for the kill.  if the repub drag a guy then the base turrets one shot him and they get the kill.

we call it fishing its probably the dumbest end game pvp i have ever seen in my life. honestly even Age of Conan failed sieges might of been more fun than this.

I've yet to read anything positive about Ilum. It just sounds like it was badly thought out and implimented. :( Thanks for the info btw.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

PvP is great from 10-49, it's fun and enjoyable. Once you hit 50 though it's a different story, Ilum is a farm, you either farm or be farmed, it's boring and WZ's suck because unlike 10-49, there is no bolster, imagine being a fresh lvl 10 fighting a 49 without the bolster, thats how it feels fighting the imperial champ premades.

So once you hit 50 you can painfully grind the kit by being repeatedly rear-ended by a horde of tounge slavering glow-stick spammers and taking the scraps.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by Master10K

I know I may get some flak for posting this, but if you want to play an MMORPG for it's PvP then I suggest you wait for Guild Wars 2. They seem to be the only devs that get it. Also it actually has some e-sport potential. SW:TOR's PvP is just riddled with issues at the moment, like being unplayable for some high-spec PCs.

You know what's going to kill all the GW2 hype?  The launch of GW2.

That said, SWTOR has good PVP.  Announcers calling play-by-play in Warzones is a huge step up from most MMOs.  The game also has some issues with PVP.  Ilum basically needs reworked from square one.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

Well, its like wow but:

- 90% of all time the same bg

- fps of 10-15 unless you got an high high end pc

- you can vote the mvp after the match, thats quite nice

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

If you like PVP, stay away from this game.

Open world PVP is dead

3 warzones

Illium is a joke

This is a PVE game with the worst PVP ever made in the last 7 years, hell even WAR's pvp was better.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

PVP in this game is like WoW before Arenas. Its aweful. Its buggy, laggy, not very responsive, no collission and there is overall less to do in PVP.

The same can be said about most features of this game. For the money they spent making this game...it SEEMS like most went to just voice acting and they skimped on everything else.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by toodlepip123

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

Wait for Guild Wars 2.  TOR is hemorrhaging players, despite what the panicked acolytes are saying in damage control mode.

In GW2 you'll have server vs. server vs. server world PvP and structured PvP. And because ArenaNet's making it, you aren't getting a game that's made purely for the cash-grab from nerds.

Youve never played an arenanet game have you. They are good with PvE, but terrible when it comes down to pvp. And no cash grab? You do realise that it is going to be mainly RMT based right? Just like the original was.

The RMT in the original was completely optional, just like it will be in GW2. There is no item in the Anet's cash shop that offers an unfair advantage. Unless you consider more bank space, extra character slots and costumes as unfair. I've played GW1 for over 5 years and I've spent about $20 to buy a few costumes. Yea, real cash grabbing RMT.

Actually, I find this irrational hatered of optional RMT funny. Especially when you realize that every single AAA MMO that charges a subscription fee also has the same type of cash shop that GW has. Hell, AoC and WAR even sell items with stats in their cash shops. I think SWTOR is the only MMO that doesn't currently have a cash shop of some sort. Knowing EA though, it's only a matter of time.

• dimmit77dimmit77 Member Posts: 294

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

Wait for Guild Wars 2.  TOR is hemorrhaging players, despite what the panicked acolytes are saying in damage control mode.

In GW2 you'll have server vs. server vs. server world PvP and structured PvP. And because ArenaNet's making it, you aren't getting a game that's made purely for the cash-grab from nerds.

If only I had a penny for everytime I heard : wait for the next (Vanguard , AoC , WAR , swtor , GW2, Rift ) that is gonna be better than the one you are currently playing . I am convinced that there is whole subculture of idiots that will go through life waiting for the next best thing to come out.

PS you can wait to play GW2 but last time I checked it will be also available for consoles . I might be wrong but if its true , these forums will be uber fun when it comes out . Expect nerdrage extraordinaire.

• dimmit77dimmit77 Member Posts: 294

To answer the OP's question . SWTOR is a PVE game and as far as PVE games go the pvp is very well made . The battlegrounds are fun and , especially Huttball , extremely well designed . Huttball is a cross between american football and speedball 2.

The gear you get by doing pvp is a bit op at this time because its better than most pve gear and easier to get . Classes are pretty much unbalanced for pvp , gunslingers suck at it while inquisitors with their various stuns are op. I play in an RP world so the open world pvp is usually non existand and is a few people hunting one another through the various bases. I have seen a few epic battles lately when a couple of guilds decide to go at it , but not often.

If you are looking to play a theme park game the pvp  isnt bad. If you want to play a true PVP game I would recommend you try EVE or Darkfall , both excellent pvp games.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Suggestion: Read the boards at SWTOR. Some people love it, some people hate it. But there are some big problems on Illum I hear. Maybe warzones are better... or wait for Dominus!

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Originally posted by brody71

it's basically just like wow's pvp. only less fluid and more buggy.

Arent all MMOs that? From what Ive heard it sounds more like Warhammer Online, with ranks and commendations.

there are ranks and commendations, it works pretty much  like the honor/valor system in wow.  do warzones(bg's) to get commendations and spend them on gear. you get an xp type bar that fills up over time allowing you to buy better gear sets. 

Why is it less fluid and more buggy than wow, in your opinion?

The skill responses are just cludgy and stuttery and non-responsive.  Its a well documented problem that they have had real trouble fixing.  There are also some strange bugs like the imbalance greater than 8 people on one side warzones.

Otherwise yeah its mostly the same as other WoW-style game's PvP (WoW, WAR, RIFT, etc.).  The bugs and less features should be expected since WoW is just plain more mature.  Balance wise.  These  class based rock, paper, scissors games are never balanced and never can be since the founding premise does not lend itself to such a thing.  You have to balance based on skill function and availability not class.  Some people think those things are the same thing, they are wrong.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by gestalt11

it's basically just like wow's pvp. only less fluid and more buggy.

Arent all MMOs that? From what Ive heard it sounds more like Warhammer Online, with ranks and commendations.

there are ranks and commendations, it works pretty much  like the honor/valor system in wow.  do warzones(bg's) to get commendations and spend them on gear. you get an xp type bar that fills up over time allowing you to buy better gear sets. 

Why is it less fluid and more buggy than wow, in your opinion?

The skill responses are just cludgy and stuttery and non-responsive.  Its a well documented problem that they have had real trouble fixing.  There are also some strange bugs like the imbalance greater than 8 people on one side warzones.

Otherwise yeah its mostly the same as other WoW-style game's PvP (WoW, WAR, RIFT, etc.).  The bugs and less features should be expected since WoW is just plain more mature.  Balance wise.  These  class based rock, paper, scissors games are never balanced and never can be since the founding premise does not lend itself to such a thing.  You have to balance based on skill function and availability not class.  Some people think those things are the same thing, they are wrong.

They have fixed over 6 types of "ability delay"  I personally don't experience it at all on any of my abilities now.

Also, the "bug" for faction imbalance is an exploit, its rather well known, and they're working on it, and punishing people who abuse it.

I don't see this being rock paper sissory at all tbh...

Are we playing the same game?

• Sp!k3Sp!k3 Member Posts: 60

No