Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

6 Days to go!!!!!!!!

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by kostoslav

Originally posted by Djildjamesh

Ppl get so hyped about this game. I would not be suprised if someone here declare that GW2 cures from cancer, prolong life, makes blind able to see again , crippled to walk and so on.

There will be alot of rage here when GW2 comes out.

Ppl have really high and unreal expectations, and they go around and post how this game will be better in every aspect then any other game without even playing it.

[snip]

I actually think there are far more posts "reminding" GW2 fans that there exist a group of fanbois that are overhyped for the game than there are posts from actual overhyped fans.

This is why these kinds of posts are irritating.

What's funny is we all know that SWTOR players were lurking just waiting for things to happen on these forums so they can try to troll those of us who were excited by GW2 and disappointed by SWTOR. That's probably where this post came from and won't be the last troll post either from the biobots. I can imagine there will be many many more posts like these all the way up to and after launch day.

Doesn't matter tho, because the only bad thing they can say about GW2 is it's innovative and different LOL.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Originally posted by st4t1ck

Ppl get so hyped about this game. I would not be suprised if someone here declare that GW2 cures from cancer, prolong life, makes blind able to see again , crippled to walk and so on.

Ppl have really high and unreal expectations, and they go around and post how this game will be better in every aspect then any other game without even playing.

All i have to say to this is, SO WHAT.  Hype is only what you make it. if someone hypes the game up to much for there own good how does that bother you or your experience. No one can hype it so much that it ruins your experience.

This post made me smile. Ask Warhammer what happens when you over hype a game. Almost 900'000 people following that game from their hype. About 800'000 bought into that hype at launch. Gamers were so dismayed with the product they were down to a few hundred thousand in a few months. Over hyping a product and gamers feel like the game does not live up to the expectation they hype gave them. Even a good game becomes a shadow compared to their expectations and they drop the game. Many MMOs have died to over building their hype train.

To make it simple everyone loves pizza but if I told you about the worlds best meal I was gona cook ya for many weeks and then I served you pizza you would be disappointed even if you loved pizza. The fan base have built this game up to be the savior of the MMO market and the cure to fix all MMO problems. Not many people will take a deep look into the product they will just follow the hype train and when they find out no raids and classic MMO end game for one,  they will run away before they find out why. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Ppl have really high and unreal expectations, and they go around and post how this game will be better in every aspect then any other game without even playing.

All i have to say to this is, SO WHAT.  Hype is only what you make it. if someone hypes the game up to much for there own good how does that bother you or your experience. No one can hype it so much that it ruins your experience.

This post made me smile. Ask Warhammer what happens when you over hype a game. Almost 900'000 people following that game from their hype. About 800'000 bought into that hype at launch. Gamers were so dismayed with the product they were down to a few hundred thousand in a few months. Over hyping a product and gamers feel like the game does not live up to the expectation they hype gave them. Even a good game becomes a shadow compared to their expectations and they drop the game. Many MMOs have died to over building their hype train.

To make it simple everyone loves pizza but if I told you about the worlds best meal I was gona cook ya for many weeks and then I served you pizza you would be disappointed even if you loved pizza. The fan base have built this game up to be the savior of the MMO market and the cure to fix all MMO problems. Not many people will take a deep look into the product they will just follow the hype train and when they find out no raids and classic MMO end game for one,  they will run away before they find out why. 

The difference here being that they didn't build hype at Anet they simply told the players who then became fans what they will be doing with their game to make it more exciting and to fix many a pve pvp gameplay issue experienced by most mmo players throughout all of the years that mmo's have been out, THEN they demo'd those fixes for the world to see at Cons. The game is feature complete now via the news sources i've read which also means, they won't be putting out a game and getting sales from nothing but the IP like another game which won't shall not be named has done most recently. This means they are going into the betas for polish, not to put in major features like many of this type of games predecessors. They have also not been releasing much in the way of news which means that unlike other games, who felt the need to advertise on banners, tv, radio, internet radio, underwear, bananas, and donuts, they didn't need to advertise like crazy to get people's attention.

So how is this a game superhyped by the developer again?

Originally posted by itgrowls

Ppl have really high and unreal expectations, and they go around and post how this game will be better in every aspect then any other game without even playing it.

[snip]

I actually think there are far more posts "reminding" GW2 fans that there exist a group of fanbois that are overhyped for the game than there are posts from actual overhyped fans.

What's funny is we all know that SWTOR players were lurking just waiting for things to happen on these forums so they can try to troll those of us who were excited by GW2 and disappointed by SWTOR. That's probably where this post came from and won't be the last troll post either from the biobots. I can imagine there will be many many more posts like these all the way up to and after launch day.

Doesn't matter tho, because the only bad thing they can say about GW2 is it's innovative and different LOL.

I will be trying GW2 for sure but I have to say as a crafter I am not looking forward to GW2 crafting. I hate click intensive systems. I really wish AN would take a second look at crafting. Only bad thing I have to say for now =-) After launch I may have more lol. Not sure about this no raid thing but AN keeps saying we will have lots to do. I have one question for that, can you not add raids and not make them about a gear grind? <<<shrugs>>>

The difference here being that they didn't build hype at Anet they simply told the players who then became fans what they will be doing with their game to make it more exciting and to fix many a pve pvp gameplay issue experienced by most mmo players throughout all of the years that mmo's have been out, THEN they demo'd those fixes for the world to see at Cons. The game is feature complete now via the news sources i've read which also means, they won't be putting out a game and getting sales from nothing but the IP like another game which won't shall not be named has done most recently. This means they are going into the betas for polish, not to put in major features like many of this type of games predecessors. They have also not been releasing much in the way of news which means that unlike other games, who felt the need to advertise on banners, tv, radio, internet radio, underwear, bananas, and donuts, they didn't need to advertise like crazy to get people's attention.

So how is this a game superhyped by the developer again?

I didnt I said the fan base has. There on WoW forums and SWTOR forums and every time people give feed back they yell. AN fixed that just go play GW2. I look past hype and I did read up a lot about GW2 to know whats its about but most MMOers wont. There will be lots of MMOers will take the player made hype for what it is and be disapointed when they ask, where is the raids? Where is the gear grind? And will quit before they find out why. Sad for them but AN does not need much of a hype train as the fans are really over doing it.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Originally posted by IPolygon

They rarely release info at conventions.

To quote Kyle's mom;

What, what, WHAT?

• crewthiefcrewthief Member Posts: 235

Funny, that sounds like what people were saying about SWTOR. Good thing Anet isn't confusing gameplay with lolvoiceovers. Interesting you'd denegrate people for getting their hopes up, since you're such a perfect parody of the flip-side of that coin...the pessimistic hater.

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

I am so so afraid that will be the case :)

Then again i was never so hyped for any other game till this date. So that must mean something ^^.

I am very excited about it too, all I am trying to say is that some ppl go too far with their hype, their imagination goes wild, and that will end up with them being disappointed

I think you are right at that-

but there is also alot of post that has to been corrected simply because of GW2 does so many things different, that so many people just misunderstand whats going on, assuming its like whatever game they played before. That amount of misunderstanding followed by correction can offcause be misunderstud as fanboyism building hype.

but lets face it there is still as there have been for a couple of years now , alot of fans in this forum regular doing some hard work bring newcomers into the ArenaNet experience up to date! That i think is a nice side of this forum 

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

[snip]

I will be trying GW2 for sure but I have to say as a crafter I am not looking forward to GW2 crafting. I hate click intensive systems. I really wish AN would take a second look at crafting. Only bad thing I have to say for now =-) After launch I may have more lol. Not sure about this no raid thing but AN keeps saying we will have lots to do. I have one question for that, can you not add raids and not make them about a gear grind? <<>>

When has ArenaNet ever given the impression that they were making an MMORPG, with an extensive crafting system? Here's a hint, never. Their main focus is elsewhere, like the combat, seeing how it is a combat MMORPG not a crafting MMORPG. So really it is only people like you who will be disappointed with the game, because you are expecting a different game, not GW2. Same with those that will come into it expecting Raids at level cap.

See the thing is, us GW2 fans/followers "know" what to expect from the game, so there's a lesser chance of myself being disappointed with GW2 than you who wants a game for crafters and raidiers.

-snip-

-snip

-snip-

-snip-

I didnt I said the fan base has. There on WoW forums and SWTOR forums and every time people give feed back they yell. AN fixed that just go play GW2. I look past hype and I did read up a lot about GW2 to know whats its about but most MMOers wont. There will be lots of MMOers will take the player made hype for what it is and be disapointed when they ask, where is the raids? Where is the gear grind? And will quit before they find out why. Sad for them but AN does not need much of a hype train as the fans are really over doing it.

Just about every MMO that hits the market nowadays, gets hyped to hell and gone. Does this really surprise you that much? Alot of people are excited...it happens. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that GW2 looks to challenge a whole lot of the recently established norms for MMOs and deliver something refreshingly new. You say you've read up on it, if that's the case...you should understand why alot of those gamers that are fed up with the 'WoW model' would be kind of hyped over this game. 

It really isn't very difficult to understand.

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

[snip]

What's even funnier is the same people here who are complaining (ahead of time) that haters and TOR fanbois are going to troll here, a lot of those people are ones I've seen trolling the TOR forums. Kind of hypocritical. I do think GW2 will be a great game if their implementation of their daring ideas work out, but every flaw will be pointed out to extreme degress, just like with TOR, and every other release.

Edit: from reading some more of these post replies, it also seem that many fans are a bit touchy about anyone posting some negative expectations. When the game releases we will all get to try it and see how good it is.

Originally posted by crewthief

-snip-

-snip

-snip-

-snip-

Just about every MMO that hits the market nowadays, gets hyped to hell and gone. Does this really surprise you that much? Alot of people are excited...it happens. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that GW2 looks to challenge a whole lot of the recently established norms for MMOs and deliver something refreshingly new. You say you've read up on it, if that's the case...you should understand why alot of those gamers that are fed up with the 'WoW model' would be kind of hyped over this game. 

Maybe you havent read my posts at all. I plan on trying GW2. I just dont buy into the GW2 fan hype. I was just replying to someone saying who cares if GW2 get hyped up more then it should. I was only pointing out this has been the downafll of many MMOs. My side point if you read my posts was that I took the time to find out what GW2 is and willing to try and see if this is a new fresh way to MMO that works. While others will see the FAN OVER PLAYED hype and just go try the game and not find out what the game is about and in the end try the game and say , "I quit this game is dumb because it has no raids, teir gear grind, (fill in what ever)" My point over all is hype can kill games. I hope this does not happen with GW2 but every game forums I am on there is an abundance of GW2 fan hype. 

Originally posted by crewthief

-snip-

-snip

-snip-

-snip-

Maybe you havent read my posts at all. I plan on trying GW2. I just dont buy into the GW2 fan hype. I was just replying to someone saying who cares if GW2 get hyped up more then it should. I was only pointing out this has been the downafll of many MMOs. My side point if you read my posts was that I took the time to find out what GW2 is and willing to try and see if this is a new fresh way to MMO that works. While others will see the FAN OVER PLAYED hype and just go try the game and not find out what the game is about and in the end try the game and say , "I quit this game is dumb because it has no raids, teir gear grind, (fill in what ever)" My point over all is hype can kill games. I hope this does not happen with GW2 but every game forums I am on there is an abundance of GW2 fan hype. 

Yeah, I get you man. Guess i'm just used to it...seems like everything gets hyped nowadays (with regard to new MMOs). I think it comes down to alot of people just being so fed up with the current "WoW saturated market', if you get my meaning. I must admit, doing my research and reading what I can of GW2...it can be quite easy to get hyped up. What i've read and the information i've gathered, looks amazing...if they can deliver on it. Ultimaely, hype or not, if the game really is a gem, it'll shine on its own merit. Lets hope that for once, the game actually lives up to the hype...and then some. I know i'll be playing it, as Anet is focusing heavily on PvP, and that's the primary draw for me.

No offense intended with my initial response to you man.

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

I have been MMOing since EQ1 launch and been chasing looking for the new high ever since. Playing for the sake of playing. DAoC did it for me and WoW did for a few years till they got to gear grindy. Been fooled many times on that and sick of dishing money and time on games that dont equal the hype. I have to say that is GW2 delivers even1/2 of what they say they are trying to pull off it will have a nitch. Seeing a form of 3 faction open world objective PvP was a HUGE selling factor for me. I was shocked it took me a weekend to find out everything there is to know about this game. I really hope they forget the hype and just give info.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

I have been MMOing since EQ1 launch and been chasing looking for the new high ever since. Playing for the sake of playing. DAoC did it for me and WoW did for a few years till they got to gear grindy. Been fooled many times on that and sick of dishing money and time on games that dont equal the hype. I have to say that is GW2 delivers even1/2 of what they say they are trying to pull off it will have a nitch. Seeing a form of 3 faction open world objective PvP was a HUGE selling factor for me. I was shocked it took me a weekend to find out everything there is to know about this game. I really hope they forget the hype and just give info.

lol..don't watch/read anything besides necrobator then. ign and their peers will hype anything blindly. assuming those gamebreaker goons got in they don't like mmo's that differ from WoW.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by fony

lol..don't watch/read anything besides necrobator then. ign and their peers will hype anything blindly. assuming those gamebreaker goons got in they don't like mmo's that differ from WoW.

/Tries to find the strength to raise the hammer of logic, common sense and level-headedness but fails to do so.

*Sigh* 

well hey, show me IGN, gamespot, etc. not "blindly" hyping games that are highly anticipated. do they delve into flaws of games with a huge following? will they even really explore the game as to be able to give us any useful information that we might not get from another source? do they often have the presence of mind to play with the settings of the PC games they play or talk about their features/UI?

as far as gamebreaker...not even gonna attempt to explain myself, i don't even have to. WoW, SWTOR, RIFT...that's it for those guys.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Will be nice to hear some additonal information from some of the media. I'm going to pre-order and play it. But I can guarantee you, even if I did not like it, I won't post here and bash it. I will simply move on to another game.  

I wasn't interested at first, I'll admit, but lately, the more I read the more I'd like to give it a go, as I'm not head over heals of anything at this point. My expectations aren't very high though, as I tend to like the Holy Trinity (healer). 

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

well hey, show me IGN, gamespot, etc. not "blindly" hyping games that are highly anticipated. do they delve into flaws of games with a huge following? will they even really explore the game as to be able to give us any useful information that we might not get from another source? do they often have the presence of mind to play with the settings of the PC games they play or talk about their features/UI?

as far as gamebreaker...not even gonna attempt to explain myself, i don't even have to. WoW, SWTOR, RIFT...that's it for those guys.

http://www.gamespot.com/final-fantasy-xiv-online/videos/final-fantasy-xiv-online-video-review-6281074/

Oh look, they talk about the settings, the features, and even focus on the UI!

I <3 generalizing.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

Originally posted by Benthon

http://www.gamespot.com/final-fantasy-xiv-online/videos/final-fantasy-xiv-online-video-review-6281074/

I <3 generalizing.

WOW thats the worst review I have ever seen. 

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

I <3 generalizing.

WOW thats the worst review I have ever seen. 

http://www.gamespot.com/big-rigs-over-the-road-racing/reviews/big-rigs-over-the-road-racing-review-6086528/

Video review  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB1zWEhgrLs

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

I <3 generalizing.

this game doesn't fit the criteria of my question, fail.

• Necrosaro420Necrosaro420 Member Posts: 31

I hope its better than the first.  It was horrible.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by andre369

Yea, well it's not release in 6 days, BUT there is lift of NDA from the Press beta event!! Woohoo:) 

What do you guys ecpect to see except from WvW? 

you sure know how to grab peoples attention... by the title i thought Anet was on skooma and decided to release in 6 days.....

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

I am hopeful that I won't see another event of the media being "paid off" again like I saw with SWTOR's media info-breakout.

Although, "hope" begets "despair" in most cases :(.

Basically this. Tons of mis info and blind hype causing this game to appeal to people that never should pick it up and mmo review sites yet again for the 20th time now will sit blameless with their hands up confused why people get angry at them.

WTB non corrupt mmo companies and review sites independent who have the balls to post honest reviews.