Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO using Frostbite 2.0?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

And have only a handful of players playing them because of how demanding they would be?

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

Originally posted by Zadawn

And have only a handful of players playing them because of how demanding they would be?

Graphics settings can scale. DX11 is backwards compatable with DX9 as well, so it really shouldn't be too much of an issue, unless you're playing on something that is ancient.

But the issue is the Frostbite engine isn't made for the MMO setting. It COULD be done, I'm sure, but it would have to be heavily modified.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Killswitch34Killswitch34 Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by DanMcC

I read this over several times. — What?

He's talking about how demanding a game using that engine would be on a computer, I don't think 70% of the general population has a computer that could run that very well.

Karasu Linkshell for Final fantasy 14 now accepting all members! Just head on over to karasuls.shivtr.com and apply now! Linkshell info is on the site. :)

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

pff who cares:D  I want to see an MMO based on the Real Virtuality3 engine:D  I want to use my Uber-enchanted arrow and byakugan to snipe someone from 1500 meters away:D

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

Originally posted by Killswitch34

He's talking about how demanding a game using that engine would be on a computer, I don't think 70% of the general population has a computer that could run that very well.

Ah, but it's not the general population that would be playing anyways. Just PC gamers. ;D

Personally, I'm tired of the "Cartoony" look in a lot of MMO's. I know it helps the game age well visually, but I think I'd like to see more MMO's push limits graphically, without the cartoony aesthetics.

Also, since we're speaking of Frostbite 2, destructable environments could make battles for territory, storming keeps, etc, so much better, rather than just breaking down the front doors.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I would rather have the Id tech 5 engine being used but as far as i know both of these engines aren't going to be licensed to third parties so it doesn't even matter.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

As I followed my slight interest in ArcheAge, I have realized that the game is running off of Crytek's CryEngine 3, famous for it's use in Crysis 2. — I have also been following my keen interest in DICE's Battlefield 3 ... and the Frostbite 2.0 engine.

If the CryEngine 3 could be implemented in an MMO, what are the chances of a developer using the legendary Frostbite 2.0 engine? As far as I know, only Need for Speed: The Run and Mirror's Edge 2 will be using it. Could it even be implemented into an MMO and provide a level of detail we have seen in Battlefield 3?

Im affraid we are stuck with DX9 untill new consoles are released and still doubfull we get real DX11 games, only few dare release a game purely DX11 like battlefield 3 for moment only truely first DX11 game released sinds introduction DX11 in 2009.

As long majority have pc thats at least 5years old and still 51% runs on XP we wont get many DX11 games.

The new WII U will have a ATI 4870 card inside by the time its released the console have a graphics card more then 3 years old DX10. I doub PS4 AND NEW XBOX will be much more powerfull. So future dont look that bright for PC Gamers :(

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

I don't think so buddy. Not everyone has a crappy rig like you think. This is one of the most irrelevent, tired arguments and needs to be put to bed.

Games don't need to be made to run on a "wide range of systems", they need to be made GOOD!

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Having just gotten into Battlefield 2, I was actually thinking how awesome it would be to use the Frostbite engine too. I would love to sit back and crash buildings down onto unsuspecting enemies!

• DerebusDerebus Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by jpnole

I don't think so buddy. Not everyone has a crappy rig like you think. This is one of the most irrelevent, tired arguments and needs to be put to bed.

It is an old argument, but you can't ignore it. You know why? Because MMO's needs cash. Lots of cash. So, the more players playing on it, the higher the income. Not all players can run on those settings, and, not only that, not all SERVERS can maintain large quantities of players with all that weight from the engine. So MMO's companies tend to use an engine that can answer to both those issues.

Future: WoD, SWTOR, Arche Age, Tera (maybe), GW2.
    Present: None.
    Past: Eve, RIFT, UO, bunch of F2P crap.

• XsonicXsonic Member UncommonPosts: 93

Destructible environment mmo? World of Minecraft.

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621

I'd rather the mmo plays smoothly when anywhere near other people than have it become the prettiest slideshow on the block.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Games don't need to be made to run on a "wide range of systems", they need to be made GOOD!

Have you seen the steam hardware surveys? The majority have a dual core computer with a graphics equivalent of a Nvidia 9800 or lower, Not exactly Battlefield 3 requirements.

• gmac21gmac21 Member Posts: 1

I may be wrong but I think a lot of people may have missed an important part here. A MMO could and should be developed with frostbite 2.0 it's absolutely stunning and will be for years to come, which is important because MMO development takes about 4-5 years and with the rate technology advances that will easily run on a cheap computer 4-5 years from now.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

Have you seen the steam hardware surveys? The majority have a dual core computer with a graphics equivalent of a Nvidia 9800 or lower, Not exactly Battlefield 3 requirements.

Whoa i did not know that o.o

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

this is the main issue often with game engine!the rule here it has to be designed from scratch with intended struff if you plan to hav e 1000 player on a map you need to think about donnybrooks and differential compression before you think of anything else

then you think of 64 bit ,dx11 once those are covered then you can think who cover those field!since i dont think any exist this mean dont bother with any of it stick to 32 bit dx 9,no rdc,no 1000 player ,no donnybrook

• TE5LATE5LA Member UncommonPosts: 46

Not many people can afford a Ferrari, but they still continue to make and sell them. Why does a game need to be playable by everyone? If you want to play the best games, find a way to upgrade your computer. Why should those who have the hardware and spent good money on it be held back by those who don't? Besides, those who can afford the better computers are the ones most likely to spend money on the games.

I currently play games like Guild Wars 2 and Battlefield 3 at the absolute highset setiings and get 100-180 fps consistently. I think I could play an MMORPG based on Frostbite 2 (or 3).

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Why does all MMOs have to be for the masses? It is about time an exclusive MMO was released, requiring a monster of a computer.

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by Yamota

Why does all MMOs have to be for the masses? It is about time an exclusive MMO was released, requiring a monster of a computer.

Massively Mulitplayer Online Role Playing Game.

Originally posted by Derebus
    It is an old argument, but you can't ignore it. You know why? Because MMO's needs cash. Lots of cash. So, the more players playing on it, the higher the income. Not all players can run on those settings, and, not only that, not all SERVERS can maintain large quantities of players with all that weight from the engine. So MMO's companies tend to use an engine that can answer to both those issues.

How many people would buy a game that can't afford to get a good computer? Hardware is very cheap today and getting cheaper all the time.  In the old days, I had a 486DX PC with a 460MB HDD and 32MB RAM and it cost $3000. Those days are over.

Crazy. All you need in an MMO is about 20-30 fps. Battlefield 3 runs on my system at full maxed graphics at around 180 fps. I think I could manage 20-30 in an MMORPG.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Yamota

They tried this in 04 and again in 07, it didn't turn out so well in either case. AOC still looks beautiful I must say, but it sure cost them a lot in terms of players back then.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Originally posted by TE5LA

Not many people can afford a Ferrari, but they still continue to make and sell them. Why does a game need to be playable by everyone? If you want to play the best games, find a way to upgrade your computer. Why should those who have the hardware and spent good money on it be held back by those who don't? Besides, those who can afford the better computers are the ones most likely to spend money on the games.

I currently play games like Guild Wars 2 and Battlefield 3 at the absolute highset setiings and get 100-180 fps consistently. I think I could play an MMORPG based on Frostbite 2 (or 3).

Please do not bump threads that are nearly two years old.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Yep, this thread is way too old for discussion, as we typically prefer threads dead more than several weeks old not be necroed. Please start a new thread if you want to discuss the same topic.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.