Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Way too easy on Normal?

Anybody else concerned Diablo 3 will be way, way, way too easy on Normal difficulty? Seeing people playing Act 1 it looks like it's impossible to die unless you go AFK for several minutes. Most boss fights seem to end with your character at 90% or higher health, even if the player screws up majorly and doesn't adhere to the mechanics of mobs.

I realise that like in Diablo 1 and 2 there are harder difficulties later, but at least in those games you had to look at the screen in order to complete Normal mode. It seems that playing through on Normal is going to be a grueling experience that may put you off the game because it's so ridiculously easy.

This is probably my most major concern with the game at the moment - even more of a concern than the RMAH. It seems like a long shot, but my only hope is that they've decided to nerf the difficulty to oblivion for some weird testing reason. Do you think they'll fix the difficulty to be more on par with other games at release?

Comments

• LukoooneLukooone Member UncommonPosts: 153

heh its Blizzard... What did you expect? Dificulty? They now are catering to casuals since 3 years ago, you know?

But, but, but he attacked me when I was low life! 

Yes, HE DID, why you cant do the same to him? 

Uf that will take me a lot of time... 

HERE IS YOUR QUEST!

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

OMG THE NORMAL DIFFICULTY ISN'T SUPER EASY SO I CAN'T FEEL ELITE ABOUT BEING ABLE TO BEAT NORMAL DIFFICULTY NOM NOM NOM!

• narakuunarakuu Member Posts: 348

One of my main concerns is how easy D3 might be now with them trying to sell a game for everyone rather then for gamers, which can be good or bad based on whatever side of the coin you belong to.

Also I read a statement recently that the game is reaaally really hard according to someone at blizzard but also only mentioned that this is the case for the following difficulties after "normal" which I guess is good if its true but at the same time a bit saddening that the first time you play through the game it will produce more then one or two yawns.

• sajahsajah Member Posts: 35
    As far as i'm concern, it was the same for D1&2, I mean okay at first when we were h&s noobs we got killed a few times in normal, but that time is over, those who played D1&2 in hell difficulty will always see the normal mode as easy boring stuff, it's just the player skill curve.

The real problem is about the progression for the new ones. They will roll over normal mode but when they will get to nightmare they're going to get kicked by the first boss because they got no real experience, so it might discourage some people from continuing because the gap was too deep.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I thought Diablo 2 was too easy. The first game was just right.

But somewhere around the year 2000 all games became easier and easier, I am not sure why. I guess it had something to do with computers being in everyones home and EA and Activision wanting as many potential players as possible.

It made playing a lot less fun. Normal today meant easy ten years ago and if this will go on ypou will soon be able to play in your sleep.

But this is not really just diablo, it is all games. It is just easier to see in follow ups on old games.

I am more worried that playing it on "hell" will be too easy though.

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

Normal is the FIRST difficulty setting, obviously it's going to be easy. Then there is Nightmare, Hell and Inferno. The last two will be extremely difficult and even with a party you will need coordination and focus.

• Arawulf2Arawulf2 Member Posts: 14

I'm pretty sure normal is casual mode, so I'm sure for experienced gamers it will seem too easy.  That's what the hard modes are for.

• So what exactly do you think will happen when "casuals" hit a brick wall on Nightmare and start complaining they're unable to progress in the game they bought and paid for?

• endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by Axxar

So what exactly do you think will happen when "casuals" hit a brick wall on Nightmare and start complaining they're unable to progress in the game they bought and paid for?

They will spend money in the RMAH to become more powerful. Working as intended.

Companies like Zynga are making billions off of virtual good sales to what is almost entirely a casual gamer demographic.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Originally posted by Axxar

So what exactly do you think will happen when "casuals" hit a brick wall on Nightmare and start complaining they're unable to progress in the game they bought and paid for?

The casual gamer gets a lot of flack everywhere you look, but the REAL casual gamer is not on the forums whining. The guy on the forums whining is a BAD gamer that has got stuck or has no patience. The real casual gamers don't have time to troll forums.

So whilst the hardcore guys have completed everything Mr Casual is on the second difficulty playing and having fun, Mr Hardcore is whining on the forums about more content, Mr Bad is stuck at the point where Mr Casual is happily playing and he wants to be Mr Hardcore that much he spends his time spamming and trolling rather than learning to play the game.

Blizzard have made there recent games easy enough that you can progress without sacrificing your life to the game but if you do want to do that the hard modes are there for you. By the time a casual gamer gets to the harder modes it's time for an expansion anyway.

If normal is easy then fair enough, but there are 3 other difficulties and also a hardcore mode where death is permanent, how much harder do you want to make it?

• FrostillicusFrostillicus Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by revy66

Normal is the FIRST difficulty setting, obviously it's going to be easy. Then there is Nightmare, Hell and Inferno. The last two will be extremely difficult and even with a party you will need coordination and focus.

Unfortunately there's a lot of fanboys with this mentality, defending a bad decision because it's Blizzard.

For those of you with very little gaming experience ... in most games, yes, the first dificultly level is the easiest, but you can choose your difficulty level at the start.  Most games don't force you to sit through a boring first play-through to get to a challenge.

Frankly I'm suprised at Blizzard's lack of understanding of basic gaming psychology.  Catering to casuals is fine, I get it, they want lots of sales.  But even casual players need to be challenged to find something fun.  Failure actually stimulates positive emotions as long as it's not too frequent and as long as people see improvement between failures.  You technically can't call something a "game" if there is no chance of failure.

Blizzard shouldn't be taking the "lessons" learned from WoW and applying them to this game.  Boring content in WoW I imagine is easier to live with because the game has so many other featuers to keep players interested (social aspect, etc).  But Diablo is all about the combat.

Now, I've only played the Beta, so, I'm praying that either the Beta has been extra dumbed-down, or that the difficulty really starts to ramp up after the Beta content.  But, going back to my first point, I see way too many fanboys spouting the "um, that's what Nightmare is for" arguement, so, I'm sure Blizzard is telling themselves it's fine as is.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

And skyrim normal is hard?

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

"Normal mode was pretty casual. It's very fun -- you're one-clicking and you're having laughs. Once you get into Nightmare mode, it starts turning into all business. [...] The game really starts [...] at Nightmare. [...] The way the game is tuned right now, people have no idea what they're getting themselves into."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/10/diablo-iii-will-see-you-in-hell-mode/

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by Loke666

I thought Diablo 2 was too easy. The first game was just right.

But somewhere around the year 2000 all games became easier and easier, I am not sure why. I guess it had something to do with computers being in everyones home and EA and Activision wanting as many potential players as possible.

It made playing a lot less fun. Normal today meant easy ten years ago and if this will go on ypou will soon be able to play in your sleep.

But this is not really just diablo, it is all games. It is just easier to see in follow ups on old games.

I am more worried that playing it on "hell" will be too easy though.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by Mavek

Watch this video

Good advice. Sounds like its going to be pretty challenging.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Originally posted by Frostillicus

Unfortunately there's a lot of fanboys with this mentality, defending a bad decision because it's Blizzard.

For those of you with very little gaming experience ... in most games, yes, the first dificultly level is the easiest, but you can choose your difficulty level at the start.  Most games don't force you to sit through a boring first play-through to get to a challenge.

Frankly I'm suprised at Blizzard's lack of understanding of basic gaming psychology.  Catering to casuals is fine, I get it, they want lots of sales.  But even casual players need to be challenged to find something fun.  Failure actually stimulates positive emotions as long as it's not too frequent and as long as people see improvement between failures.  You technically can't call something a "game" if there is no chance of failure.

Blizzard shouldn't be taking the "lessons" learned from WoW and applying them to this game.  Boring content in WoW I imagine is easier to live with because the game has so many other featuers to keep players interested (social aspect, etc).  But Diablo is all about the combat.

Now, I've only played the Beta, so, I'm praying that either the Beta has been extra dumbed-down, or that the difficulty really starts to ramp up after the Beta content.  But, going back to my first point, I see way too many fanboys spouting the "um, that's what Nightmare is for" arguement, so, I'm sure Blizzard is telling themselves it's fine as is.

You can't tackle Nightmare or Hell without gear and levels first. You are gonna get them doing the acts on Normal. I'm not sure what is too hard to understand. Finally don't forget there is hardcore mode.

• Originally posted by SlickShoes

If normal is easy then fair enough, but there are 3 other difficulties and also a hardcore mode where death is permanent, how much harder do you want to make it?

I just want the normal difficulty to be more of an easy/normal difficulty. I'm really not looking forward to having to faceroll grind my way to Nightmare because "the game starts at Nightmare." I want the game to start at the beginning.

Originally posted by Gorilla

Originally posted by Mavek

Watch this video

Good advice. Sounds like its going to be pretty challenging.

Sorry, but a video of the devs claiming it will be hard is not very convincing.  One of the guys says something like "so in normal, you're one-shotting everything, it's fun".  For me (and I bet for a substantial portion of players), one-shotting everything does not equal fun, not for long anyway.  These guys don't have much credibility in my eyes.

But anyway, my problem is not whether or not later difficulties will be hard, it's that I may have to play through an incredibly boring first run.  I'm a big Diablo fan, I'd like to take my time through the first run to appreciate the story and environments, but I have to choose between doing that and being bored, or rushing through to get to the "beginning of the real game".

Originally posted by paterah

Originally posted by Frostillicus

You can't tackle Nightmare or Hell without gear and levels first. You are gonna get them doing the acts on Normal. I'm not sure what is too hard to understand. Finally don't forget there is hardcore mode.

hahaha, I bet you think you are clever for 1-upping the "um, that's what Nightmare is for" arguement with the "and then there's Hardcore" arguement.

Ya I should have mentioned I've played Diablo 1 and 2 and most of their clones, I understand their game structure.  That doesn't change the fact that making the first run so easy that it's boring is not a design decision I support.  Not sure what is too hard to understand about that.

At this point I'd be happy with a simple "double mob HP and damage" checkbox when starting a new game.  It's a sad solution, but better than nothing.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Diablo 3 is designed with the casual gamer in mind, therefore don't expect much challange or complexity to this title. It's pretty obvious blizzard are going down the casual route with their games. You need only look at world of warcraft to notice this trend.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Diablo 3 is designed with the casual gamer in mind, therefore don't expect much challange or complexity to this title. It's pretty obvious blizzard are going down the casual route with their games. You need only look at world of warcraft to notice this trend.

I agree that the challenge that World of Warcraft had for the first 1 to 2 years is gone and is now geared to the easy casual players. Unfortunately, you are comparing an MMORPG to a mostly single player hack n slash.

But I can say as it is now that Normal mode as it is right now is for the casual player. Lets hope the challenge is there in the harder modes.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Amagad normal is not difficult. Call the carebear squad! OOh, yeah games have been so eezzz mode since 1900. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by sajah

As far as i'm concern, it was the same for D1&2, I mean okay at first when we were h&s noobs we got killed a few times in normal, but that time is over, those who played D1&2 in hell difficulty will always see the normal mode as easy boring stuff, it's just the player skill curve. The real problem is about the progression for the new ones. They will roll over normal mode but when they will get to nightmare they're going to get kicked by the first boss because they got no real experience, so it might discourage some people from continuing because the gap was too deep.

Yeah but then they will be funneled into the RMAH to buy "Teh gearz!!" to smoke the "Hard" content lol.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

This is interesting. Maybe it is because gaming has become mainstream entertainment for all ages. Used to be just some young geeks that played computergames. And everything seemed to be twitch based (apart from text adventures anyway).