Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Future is Bright (or Dark, if you prefer)

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

The busy bees at BioWare have released a flood of information on what's coming to Star Wars: The Old Republic in the patches leading up to and beyond Game Update 1.2. Join us in this week's SW:TOR column as we discuss all the latest developments.

Last week was pretty eventful for Star Wars: The Old Republic. BioWare kicked off their debut Community Q&A, shedding some light on what players can expect to find in store for the game in the not-too-distant future. Additionally, players who have been up in arms over the recent changes to the global cooldown UI were treated to a dev blog promising a solution that honestly went above and beyond my expectations.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Future is Bright (or Dark, if you prefer).

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

So far, I like the way they are handling updates. Even though 1.1 was mostly top-end stuff, 1.2 appears to be more balanced. One thing that really gets me is when an MMO constantly adds to the top end while ignoring, or at most, throwing a bone to, the early and mid-game.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

Yet SOA is still bugged, and Ilum is still a shade of what it could have been.

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

It's shaping up to be a decent patch. We can only hope it's tested well enough to avoid the hitches many received with the last version update.

• ShazkneeShazknee Member Posts: 81

Far from enough for me to resub, theese changes doesnt change how I think that it's a terrible mmo, and closer to a single player game, I know they won't change the game enough for me to wanna play it.

Good to see that they're improving it for the people who do enjoy it though, although this seem like stuff that should have been implemented when the game launched.

• frogtownfrogtown Member UncommonPosts: 59

While I agree some if not most of these things should have been implemented when the game released, I look forward to seeing them in game. I enjoy SWTOR and really look forward to these improvements especially with the targeting system.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

They promised us in beta that they would allow us at least a one time ability to change our advanced class.  Glad to see they are already starting down the road of broken promises.  Not even a mention of a fully customizable interface?

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I think this is a good update, even though it doesnt contain the things I look for.  Legacy system seems interesting but want more details of how its implemented.  Curious about any infromation around possible expansion of story content? space exploration? housing?

I guess I want to know are they planning to turn this into more of a sandbox MMO or do they plan to keep it story-based / PVP focused?

Would be nice to have a Star Wars world to play in....

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Originally posted by Shazknee

Far from enough for me to resub, theese changes doesnt change how I think that it's a terrible mmo, and closer to a single player game, I know they won't change the game enough for me to wanna play it.

Good to see that they're improving it for the people who do enjoy it though, although this seem like stuff that should have been implemented when the game launched.

Pretty much this.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

All the interface thingies coming with the patch are just fixing the obvious bugs, not actually improving the interface, and for sure can't compensate the absence of the custom UI - for example WAR offered custom UI nearly from the start, WoW has it, why the heck SWTOR thinks we don't need it?

PvP is still underdeveloped and patch isn't going to really change the things.

So by now we all know SWTOR is going down in a few months - the developers are just trying to max their sub profits by throwing rather hollow promises of making the game candy "in the near future", but we'll se Guild Wars 2 before this "near future" arrives.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

First off they never once PROMISED the ability to change advanced classes at all let alone once.   Find the quote from them or shut up because I read directly from the forums they said they're against changing advanced classes and if they allow it they would only allow it up until level 20 IF they do at all.   

2nd

The customizable UI is in 1.2 as in you can move around and scale windows (just like rift lets you) also target of target and many other UI improvements.  Does the UI suck ? Yes Will it still suck ?  Yes but they're trying.

• ThaneSolusThaneSolus Member Posts: 32

To compete with GW2, Tera(combat and high end content) and other games that come this year, Biofail will have to do some miracles for their players.

I still play the game, for PvE stories, but i dont see myself playing more than 1 month.

I still cant understand how they failed so bad. I mean they were excelent developers and they had a huge budget and beside the story based mission and cutscene with voiceovers, the rest is pretty mediocre. I cant see even 30 mil $ that went into the real development of this game, its incredible how EA can screw so many companies over, just so they dont have competitors.

Warhammer before EA destroyed it, it was incredible in every aspect, superior to WOW as a theme park on every level, quest, content, public quest, tome of knowledge achivements that could take your time for ever, casual pvp. It was probably the best theme park released in the last 7 years, but nooo, inovation is bad.

I regret giving to the these greedy people 60$ bucks, but i was bored.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by idragon

To compete with GW2, Tera(combat and high end content) and other games that come this year, Biofail

Just the comedy in this portion alone will sustain me for today.  Thank you!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

This

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

Originally posted by MikeB

The busy bees at BioWare have released a flood of information on what's coming to Star Wars: The Old Republic in the patches leading up to and beyond Game Update 1.2. Join us in this week's SW:TOR column as we discuss all the latest developments.

Last week was pretty eventful for Star Wars: The Old Republic. BioWare kicked off their debut Community Q&A, shedding some light on what players can expect to find in store for the game in the not-too-distant future. Additionally, players who have been up in arms over the recent changes to the global cooldown UI were treated to a dev blog promising a solution that honestly went above and beyond my expectations.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Future is Bright (or Dark, if you prefer).

AWESOMESAUCE!!!!!!!!!!!  

• shanertshanert Member Posts: 11

To compete with GW2, Tera(combat and high end content) and other games that come this year, Biofail will have to do some miracles for their players.

Endgame-content and TERA in the same sentence? That's a joke ... did you played the korean version? PvP and normal group dungeons, that's all ...

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

No mention of LFD?

@idragon, seriously? War leveling is better than WoW? I mean seriously?

Its just as dead and linear as this game! And the same horrendous crafting!

RIP Orc Choppa

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

BW/EA need to adress the tons of bugs in the raid- and 50-content...

Boarding Party, Foundry, D7, EV, Karraga are still bugged as hell in hardmode. Then they need to adress their awful T1-T3 sets which are utter failure aswell (not only the designs, but the stats and set-boni).

Next on the list is a fully customizable UI. Resizable and movable windows pretty please, and an option to change the colour... I hate blue!

PvP... who the hell cares about PvP in a PvE-themepark anyways... just scrap it alltogether allready and stop nerfing Surge-ratings because of the PvP-whiners.

Still it's not too bad of a game, and a decent change away from Orcs, Elves and the middle-earth fantasy style.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Originally posted by Lobotomist

This

I'm still having a blast playing it. But I'm an alt-aholic, and I'm getting to see 8 different story lines. And I group a lot with friends...

The "single player" aspect of these new MMO's is there for a reason. If you don't like it, you wouldn't like the alternative any better: EQ1/FFXI style forced grouping.

And besides, SWTOR is a better single player RPG than Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is. :) I feel for the people who paid 60 bucks for that debacle.

• mxmissilemxmissile Member UncommonPosts: 275

Does the AH interface still suck? In other words, can you tab between fields? (a standard UI feature since the dawn of time)

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

None of this makes me feel to play the game again. Haven't logged in about 3 weeks. 

I was looking forward toa  complete overhaul of the User Interface, a Looking for Group Tool and other more modern options.

All these seem like very tiny and minor tweaks that really don't make me feel to head back in.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Yalexy

BW/EA need to adress the tons of bugs in the raid- and 50-content...

Boarding Party, Foundry, D7, EV, Karraga are still bugged as hell in hardmode. Then they need to adress their awful T1-T3 sets which are utter failure aswell (not only the designs, but the stats and set-boni).  Most of these have been fixed... Ran BP, Foundry, and D7 yesterday no problem...  as I don't raid I don't know what you mean by bugged on EV or Karraga, but my guild has done both on nightmare...

Next on the list is a fully customizable UI. Resizable and movable windows pretty please, and an option to change the colour... I hate blue!   They're adding a customizable UI in this patch, HOW customizable is yet to be seen.

PvP... who the hell cares about PvP in a PvE-themepark anyways... just scrap it alltogether allready and stop nerfing Surge-ratings because of the PvP-whiners.   I really really enjoy the PVP they came up with for this game, really.  I'm not alone.  I can't wait for ranked WZ's or the new WZ.

Still it's not too bad of a game, and a decent change away from Orcs, Elves and the middle-earth fantasy style.

A lot of what you said is being addressed, has been addressed, or simply isn't going to be because thats not the game's intent... they're not scrapping PVP... thats just silly.

I'm having fun playing at 50 :-D

Edit:  As for looking for group, I've not had to look long for a group as a DPS.. even at 4am.  LFD in my experience ruins a community and makes a game feel like a match making FPS style grouping game and less a world.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Liking the new changes and adds. Interested to see what new species will become available. *rubs hands together.*

I'll just say again...I'm so tired of "shoulda been there at launch" . Not just for this game tho it is the one I'm addressing now. No MMO can have everything everybody wants at launch...and I can't think of one MMO that launch with every great feature from every other MMO that exists. Most don't even launch with the basics these days.

I personally haven't noticed any basic tool or feature that SWTOR is lacking other than in the area of PvP...which is only a small part of my playing style. Hell...I've been saying since UO that MMOs should have a feature that goes down on you while you play. Let's see if that ever shows up.

• MaissonMaisson Member UncommonPosts: 29

I for one am enjoying SWTOR and am looking forward to these updates. 

There have been a lot of posts about this game both positive and negative. Is the game flawless? No, absolutley not and no MMO or game is flawless.

I do have a few gripes about the game that will hopefully be fixed with future content, such as customizing the inside of your ship, using your ships furniture or any furniture ingame, The GTN could use a slight overhaul as far as searching for items goes. Over all though this is a great game for it only being 2 months old from release.

I do get annoyed with people bashing the game (not only this MMO, but others as well) with excuses that just are not realistic such as:

1) WoW clone - this is not a WoW clone nor is any game a clone of anything else. This game, just like other MMO's, is using the same MMO style and formula, WoW included. If a game were a clone of another I am almost positive the company doing the cloning would be getting a hefty lawsuit.

2) This is not an MMORPG - last time I checked and MMORPG stands for massive multiplayer online roll playing game - now If you get to choose your characters appearence, outfits/gear, class/advanced class and spec that class out, and you are chosing something in a story whether its something simple as choosing to accept or turn in a quest you are playing some type of RPG, now if you add alot of players in the same game and its online then that would be an MMO. So yes this is a MMORPG game.

3) There is no social aspect - this is really simple, if you can chat with anyone else at any given time then it's social. Any MMO is social, but it's only a social as you make it. If you choose not to talk to anyone or interact with anyone then it will feel very antisocial. Go out into the game world and make friends, kind of like RL.

4) SWTOR failed or will be free to play in a few months - First off, no one knows the furture. Second, how do we know it fails? Are there guildlines to follow or criteria to meet to consider it an epic fail?

This goes for any MMO out there. I am not defending SWTOR persay I was using SWTOR in this post because this is a SWTOR discussion.

There are plus and minus's to every MMO out and no company has come out with the perfect MMO and I am not sure any comapny ever will, but if you don't like an MMO list some reasons why such as I did not like the crafting system because or the PVP was not my style or I prefer a sandbox style game or give some constructive criticism both here and the SWTOR forums and perhaps a change will happen.

• StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263

High Res textures or no re-sub...

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Maisson well said. There are a lot of whiney bitches in these forums. If they eliminated single player then the game would have been a fail and everyone would have been throwing pitchforks at EA.  Bioware tried to please everyone which multiple ways to play the game.  If you find the game antisocial, try being social. Its not hard. Stellus, I for one am looking for more options including the High Res Textures to push my PC just a fraction lol, but it wont stop me from playing. As far as the article itself, very well done. Best one Ive seen among the outlets to better help me understand what is coming.

There Is Always Hope!