Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now that SWTOR is obviously a success

What would you like to see added next?

I personally would like to see them iterate on space.  SWG was a big pile of garbage, but space was really fun.

eqnext.wikia.com

Comments

• mmcguire2mmcguire2 Member Posts: 310

SWG was what? the best MMO ever before the NGE? SWToR is a fun game and I am enjoying it...

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

more reason to explore. there are so many areas that just have mobs, but no reasons to be there. I think they should add various points of interest/special quests/cool things to find except for holocrons

also, XP decrease would be nice. they should cut it by 20% at least so that there's a reason to stay on a planet longer

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• mmcguire2mmcguire2 Member Posts: 310

Originally posted by lalartu

more reason to explore. there are so many areas that just have mobs, but no reasons to be there. I think they should add various points of interest/special quests/cool things to find except for holocrons

also, XP decrease would be nice. they should cut it by 20% at least so that there's a reason to stay on a planet longer

Other then the datacrons?

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

Originally posted by lalartu

Yes.  The datacron idea is good.  Discovery XP isn't enough to have people explore.  I agree that something else is needed.  Bonus quests in hidden spots maybe?

I also agree about the XP... It should start to slow down around 30-35.  Getting from 1 to 20 should be a breeze IMO and it starts to get a little longer around 30-35.  Or do like EQ1 used to have... Hell levels.

eqnext.wikia.com

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by matraque

I personally would like to see them iterate on space.  SWG was a big pile of garbage, but space was really fun.

Even if I don't consider it a success myself due to how badly it was done, I'll consider it successful when they are out of the red as far as how much they've invested in this game. Then even if I don't think it was done well I will have to concede that they have been successful regardless of my opinion. So ask again once I see that they've recovered the total cost for this monster and are in the black, and then I can ramble on about how many things they should or could still do right to fix this game and not make it no better then the rating you give SWG.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

SWG (before Jedi) was probably the best MMO I've ever played. The space was fun, too.

The perfect game for me is a blend of both SWTOR and old SWG.

• blondehblondeh Member UncommonPosts: 540

Originally posted by AcmeGamer

Even if I don't consider it a success myself due to how badly it was done, I'll consider it successful when they are out of the red as far as how much they've invested in this game. Then even if I don't think it was done well I will have to concede that they have been successful regardless of my opinion. So ask again once I see that they've recovered the total cost for this monster and are in the black, and then I can ramble on about how many things they should or could still do right to fix this game and not make it no better then the rating you give SWG.

How much did it cost? how will you know when they are out of the red? do you have access to their bank accounts and finances. Maybe your thier accountant?

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

SWTOR may be a financial success (not sure if everyone's already turned a profit) but it certainly wasn't a 'success' in my eyes.  *shrug* :/

I suppose if lots of people are enjoying it, it's a success enough in that.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

It's refreshing to see someone that doesn't like the game:

-be polite about it.

-not make a bunch of crap up about how the servers are all dead and guilds have lost 80% of their players.

Thank you!

Back to the OP.  Yes... Space would be good.  Anything that involves your ship being something more than storage space and a rest XP instance.  I like the space missions more than most people, but they get dull and repetitive.

Next... REAL social hubs.  Right now, the game just seems like a collection of battlefronts and war zones.  Take a game like LotRO, where you have the gloom and despair of Dark Delvings, and you have... the Prancing Pony, the Party Tree in Hobbiton, etc..  Those contrasts don't really exist in TOR, IMO.

• weslubowweslubow Member UncommonPosts: 163

A space game should have the ability to fly freely in space.

Crafting. Click and watch a timer count down. Really? That was the best you could come up with?

Where are all the extra things to do? Fishing. Hobbies. Experimentation. Cooking. Trapping. Farming. Making your own clothing styles. How about custom light saber hilts? Blaster grips and barrels with engraving? Most of the custom stuff wouldn't be visible unless very close and looking for it.

Cantina is a place to go to rest? No reason to be there other than that? Shouldn't it be a great place for rumors? Information about the local bad guys? Place for tall tales to be told? Shouldn't others be interested when you kill the local boss?

Over all I like the game. So many little things could be added to make it a great game.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

For starters: reasons to be in the actual gameworld(s) at max level, rather than waiting in a shopping mall for repetitive instanced content.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

We are at the 1 sub iteration mark.  It is far too early to call it a success.  Let's see how many subs are retained at the 2 and 3 sub iteration marks. 

It was a fun game for one char from 1-50.  There is an extremely shallow, and poorly designed endgame waiting for both PvE and PvP.

If the game hopes to retain subs it will have to:

a) Cater to the story grind for casual and solo gamers that are its main audience.  This means constantly churning out expensive to make content grind that players spend 1/500th of the time going through as it takes to make including voice acting.

b) Cater to the RNG equipment treadmill.  This means making large instanced content and continuing to pull players away from the actual world.

c) Find some way to bring in new players.  This means they need to add some form of exploration, and real sense of adventure outside of its book like main story.  They will have to add some sandbox like features.  They will have to greatly expand on space combat.

In the meantime they will be bleeding subs because in all honesty the end game is simply boring.  The biggest fanboy will cave eventually.

Good luck Bioware.  I will be playing the Secret World with Guild Wars 2, DOTA 2, Diablo 3 on the horizon.  It will be an uphill battle.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by weslubow

Crafting. Click and watch a timer count down. Really? That was the best you could come up with?

Cantina is a place to go to rest? No reason to be there other than that? Shouldn't it be a great place for rumors? Information about the local bad guys? Place for tall tales to be told? Shouldn't others be interested when you kill the local boss?

Over all I like the game. So many little things could be added to make it a great game.

On the crafting... In the past, it's either been that, or a status bar.  Not sure what more a person could want, here.  Seeing them on the ship working at the bench is a nice touch, I suppose.

On the cantina... agree 100%.  It kinda goes with my whole, "need social hub" thing in my previous post.  Maybe guild ships will cure that?  or make it worse...

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by weslubow

On the crafting... In the past, it's either been that, or a status bar.  Not sure what more a person could want, here.  Seeing them on the ship working at the bench is a nice touch, I suppose.

On the cantina... agree 100%.  It kinda goes with my whole, "need social hub" thing in my previous post.  Maybe guild ships will cure that?  or make it worse...

Go play vanguard and see just how good crafting can actually be.  Just because most mmo's fail to make crafting interesting, doesn't mean they all do.

(crafting in SWG was also great, but he can't exactly go try that out)

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Originally posted by Shazknee

SWTOR is a big pile of garbage, and space really sucks.

Fixed it for you.

And success? to whom? single player gamers and the extreme casual crowd? I guess.

I would say to the members of the 3 guilds I am in right now, each with over 300 members, each with an average 45 people on at any given time. To those people who are working thier way through hardmodes and nightmaremodes as we speak, weekly raiding scheduled already and officers putting together events almost daily to gear up the lower level members. 

I would say SWTOR is a success for all of them, you know, the people who used ot be hardcore raiders in other games and now run progression based raiding guilds in SWTOR. I see them every day, so I know they are there, unlike your assumption you posted.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

Originally posted by Kaocan

Fixed it for you.

And success? to whom? single player gamers and the extreme casual crowd? I guess.

I would say to the members of the 3 guilds I am in right now, each with over 300 members, each with an average 45 people on at any given time. To those people who are working thier way through hardmodes and nightmaremodes as we speak, weekly raiding scheduled already and officers putting together events almost daily to gear up the lower level members. 

I would say SWTOR is a success for all of them, you know, the people who used ot be hardcore raiders in other games and now run progression based raiding guilds in SWTOR. I see them every day, so I know they are there, unlike your assumption you posted.

Where are you playing?  Republic on Ajunta Pall, I haven't seen a single guild able to actually hold onto members for more than two weeks.  Let alone the insanly high amount of activity you claim.  With 3 guilds on top of it all, none the less.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

success?my time card of 2 month hasnt ended yet?my free month havent started yet ? i didnt need to go buy a second timecard yet!isnt it a bit premature to say success?

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by cinos

Fixed it for you.

No offence, but I have heard this so many times now and it always ended the same way; a month later the guild is deserted.

Maybe one of your 3 will be the exception though. :p

Good guild leaders will have busy active guilds

Bad or absent guild leaders will have guilds fall apart

Same as any other MMORPG

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by Robsolf

It's refreshing to see someone that doesn't like the game:

-be polite about it.

-not make a bunch of crap up about how the servers are all dead and guilds have lost 80% of their players.

Thank you!

Back to the OP.  Yes... Space would be good.  Anything that involves your ship being something more than storage space and a rest XP instance.  I like the space missions more than most people, but they get dull and repetitive.

Next... REAL social hubs.  Right now, the game just seems like a collection of battlefronts and war zones.  Take a game like LotRO, where you have the gloom and despair of Dark Delvings, and you have... the Prancing Pony, the Party Tree in Hobbiton, etc..  Those contrasts don't really exist in TOR, IMO.

I've wanted to see good debate about the game for months but honestly between those who just hate it for being Star Wars and those who are so fanatical about liking it just because it is Star Wars, it has been pretty impossible to have talks about the game.

I truly wanted to love the game myself, other wise I'd not have bothered to purchase the $150.00 collectors edition nor two of the $80.00 versions for family members. There is just soo much wrong with this game mechanically speaking, graphically, UI, bug wise etc to shake a stick at. In my opinion their first serious error was purchasing the crappy HeroEngine software from Simutronics.

I'd love to see them get a handle on the bugs, make the worlds more life like, say like LotROs is. Space Combat for me is a write off since they really need to start from the begining and design a whole new space combat system. I don't think their current mechanics support it honestly. I don't think they built the infrastructure to support a true space mmorpg. So anything that they do do, is going to come off as rather bandaid like, if that makes sense. 

Who knows, I'd love to be pleasantly surprised in six months to see this game go a long way from where it is currently. I just know that currently once my 90 days reoccuring sub ends in April, that I'll stop playing. I will keep tabs on it like I do every game that I've ever played, in the hope for improvement to draw me back. I'd been really wanting to invest my free time in a science fiction mmorpg as a good change of pace from fantasy for some years. I love fantasy worlds but a good scfi game world would be nice. 

• montinmontin Member Posts: 218

You clearly never played SWG when it was released. It was a much better game than SWTOR which quite frankly I found to be boring and quit playing before my first month was up. Which is a first for me as I like to get my monies worth from a game even if I'm not overly enjoying it.

Anyway; I hope SWTOR does well and I wish the players all the fun they can muster in what is basically a single player game. As for me, I'll go back to playing a real mmorpg (Rift). And maybe in a couple of years I'll return to SWTOR like I have just done to the f2p STO and find it actually enjoyable as I'm now so finding STO.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by cinos

Fixed it for you.

No offence, but I have heard this so many times now and it always ended the same way; a month later the guild is deserted.

Maybe one of your 3 will be the exception though. :p

Good guild leaders will have busy active guilds

Bad or absent guild leaders will have guilds fall apart

Same as any other MMORPG

This is exactly the truth. My 3 guilds are on a different server/faction form each other. I expect one of them to thrive and continue for a very long time. THe guild leader and his officers are extremely dedicated. One I am unsure of, its mostly the members taking the initiative on events and raids, this usually doesn't end well unless the guld leader drops off and one of the active members takes over for him. The third one is right in the middle of the two, the guild leader is a little inexperienced as the leader it seems. He has been a raiding guild officer many times out, but this is his first time being at the top, so we will see on that one. 

And yes, we all know the story of the hardcore raiding guilds and how short lived they can be in ANY game. Point stands though, SWTOR does have them, it isnt all solo players and casuals. 

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

"read topic title"

LOL, its like say most F2P games don't have P2W CS, keep kidding yourself :)

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • VikingLegionVikingLegion Member Posts: 30

lol yea swg was a big  pile of garbage with MUCH better crafting, player cities, politics, 36+ professions you could mix and match.. you could actually sit in a chair!!  10x deeper space system with multiperson ships, space professions, and much more.  a sandbox world that knocks the snot out of this lifeless linear crap that a 5 year old could play, i could go on and  on.

the only thing swtor has going for it especially in regards to vs swg... is graphics and cutscenes.. thats literally it.

I would bet your one of these wow gamers that have never played something like daoc, swg, eq, or planetside and u seriously just dont know what your missing

• The user and all related content has been deleted.