Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone notice that there seems to be way more new players around than there use to be??

ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231

Title says it all. Maybe it because I just move back into highsec form Nullsec for a bit while I re collect some assests. I remember an average of 30k members online at once and now its 50 to 60k.

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

They're all spy alts!

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

Yes, I think CCP is trying to get them to move out of the relative safety of the highsec bubble. I think a stupid amount of the new players that have gone to nullsec are concentrated in the Goon-led Clusterfu*k coalition, namely in TEST.

• ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by Calfis

Yes, I think CCP is trying to get them to move out of the relative safety of the highsec bubble. I think a stupid amount of the new players that have gone to nullsec are concentrated in the Goon-led Clusterfu*k coalition, namely in TEST.

No no no..... thats my home man it may be a clusterfu*k but its my clusterfu*k... hear me..... :P

Don't make me bring the RAIN. >.<

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by kadepsyson

They're all spy alts!

Not all. New player here. Well not really new. Gave the different free trials a try on/off through the years but for some reason, this time I'm hooked.

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233

I also am a new player and just purchased a 90 day sub.

What i find most interesting however is my experience is the exact same as the above poster. I have played the trial many times over the years and never really stuck around but this time something hooked me and hooked me big time!

I think actually being able to walk around in my captains quarters and see myself makes a huge difference. I also really like the "tv"  and how i can click on any ad or program and instantly something will pop up onscreen about that exact item.

Lastly, at some point there must have been a major graphical overhaul because this game DEFINITELY wasnt this pretty last time i tried it. I was so, so, so dissapointed with SWTOR and somehow, the deepness and addictivness in a game i was looking for has been here all along. EvE Online.

Oh! And the "I was there" video. FFS, if you havent seen it yet, google it and get ready to play. It also hooked me to download the game again. Its called "I was there" and its made from a player experience in EvE. Make sure you find the real video and not the spoof where players added extra crap/noise. Its... quite immersing.

Edit; Actually, 99% of CCP videos are awesome and immersive, not just the above one. Anyway, check it out

• kattehuskattehus Member UncommonPosts: 375

Originally posted by tristanryan

Oh! And the "I was there" video. FFS, if you havent seen it yet, google it and get ready to play. It also hooked me to download the game again. Its called "I was there" and its made from a player experience in EvE. Make sure you find the real video and not the spoof where players added extra crap/noise. Its... quite immersing.

Edit; Actually, 99% of CCP videos are awesome and immersive, not just the above one. Anyway, check it out

I personally love CCP's movies, but they do a bad job at displaying the game as it is. If I recall correctly, CCP have said that their videos is what they want EVE to look like; it's a "future vision". But it takes a lot of work, and probably a hardware upgrade here and there, both server and client-wise.

Also take a look at the player-made My little Eve - Spaceships are Magic video, which has the sound from the I was There vidoe.

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0
    -Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:
  • CrosswireCrosswire Member UncommonPosts: 264

It's true.  CCP's turn around has players flooding back, our corp has new player join near every day.

I started playing again with the intention of giving it only a month, but I am having such a good time I now intend to stay.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

It's good to see new blood coming in. Although I've never seen the number of online players to be terribly low. I think the lowest I've ever seen the server count at was around 8000, but that's within about 10 minutes either side of the daily shutdown for maintenance. More than an hour around the shutdown time, even at stupid hours of the morning I rarely see it below 20000.

Where's the any key?

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I dont actually agree.

I've played on and off since 2005 and everytime I play I'm suprised at the constant stream of new players.

I have noticed however an increase in older players re-subscribing.

• FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222

Originally posted by sadeyx

I dont actually agree.

I've played on and off since 2005 and everytime I play I'm suprised at the constant stream of new players.

I also see a lot of new players - but they usually leave after a while. CCP once stated that most new players leave within 7 months. And well - what do you expect in a game that rewards long time players more than every other game? And tries to cater those veterans above anything else?

There's a lot of alts of vetran players coming though. Thanks to the power of 2 and Incursions that makes people able to afford more plex payed accounts, no doubt.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Originally posted by Findariel

I also see a lot of new players - but they usually leave after a while. CCP once stated that most new players leave within 7 months. And well - what do you expect in a game that rewards long time players more than every other game? And tries to cater those veterans above anything else?

There's a lot of alts of vetran players coming though. Thanks to the power of 2 and Incursions that makes people able to afford more plex payed accounts, no doubt.

i can see this. personaly i've been giving Eve a second try lately, but wile the game is solid there just isn't much you can do as a new player. there is no way to try and catch up quickly to vets because you have to wait for the skills. so the only thing left to do is try make money wile you wait for you skills. unfortunately as a new player  there are very few choices to make money: minig, missiosn, ratting. not that exciting at all.

being part of a Corp is definately funner but even still there is not all that much you can do without skills, and skills take a long time to train.  

you basically have to spend the first 6 months just waiting for your skills to train before you can even think of trying to participate in pvp. that's a long ass time to wait just to begin pvp, and even then you're pretty much just a handicapped pilot that can only pretty much support others in minor roles.

i love how this game is set up as a sandbox, but the time factor is daunting.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

i can see this. personaly i've been giving Eve a second try lately, but wile the game is solid there just isn't much you can do as a new player. there is no way to try and catch up quickly to vets because you have to wait for the skills. so the only thing left to do is try make money wile you wait for you skills. unfortunately as a new player  there are very few choices to make money: minig, missiosn, ratting. not that exciting at all.

being part of a Corp is definately funner but even still there is not all that much you can do without skills, and skills take a long time to train.  

you basically have to spend the first 6 months just waiting for your skills to train before you can even think of trying to participate in pvp. that's a long ass time to wait just to begin pvp, and even then you're pretty much just a handicapped pilot that can only pretty much support others in minor roles.

i love how this game is set up as a sandbox, but the time factor is daunting.

This is where you're going wrong.  Don't wait for skills to start PvPing.  You'll never feel like you're ready until you go out there and start fighting.  There will always be people with more SP than you.  There's plenty you will learn from flying a rifter.

If you wait until you can fly a BS with perfect skills you'll still know nothing about PvP and you'll be suffering a lot of loses (in ships that cost 100m ISK instead of 1/2m ISK).  Corps don't take kindly to dozens of BS loses on thier KB.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• AesperAesper Member UncommonPosts: 90

Unfortunately as a new player  there are very few choices to make money: minig, missiosn, ratting. not that exciting at all.

We all start somewhere. However, I find this to be a bit inaccurate. You're missing:

Incursions (huge amounts of money, and not really for beginners, but not impossible either.)

Exploration (ISK to be made everywhere - and sometimes a lot of it. New player friendly.)

Planetary Interaction (You can literally make a couple hundred million a month - probably much much more if you're better at it than I am lol. Can start training this immediately for good passive ISK as a new player.)

Market (Buy low and sell high. Anyone can do that.

Make it really insteresting and PVP for money. You get your baptism by fire, but it hardens you up a bit. Your profit per kill ranges anywhere from 0 ISK to Billions of ISK. But it's not unheard of.

6 months? Someone lied to you. Lets look at this. Actually, you know what, lets say 6 months is the GOAL. Meaning: what can I get in 6 months? Character without implants, brand new, is 1800 SP/H (skillpoints per hour). 6 months is 4,382 hours. In 6 months you will have 7,887,000 skillpoints. In Eve-Mon (a skill planning program) I just set a 6 month plan 02/22/2012 - 08/18/2012. In this plan I can fully fit (tech 2) and fly a Rifter, Rupture, Stabber, Hurricane, Tornado, Maelstrom, Jaguar, Wolf, Vagabond and Munnin. - top tier ships (in general) for PVP. Totaling  7.823m SP. So by the end of that 6 months, I am far more than ready to PVP. In fact I should have been PVPing week 1.

Also please note there are no minor roles in fleet combat. Ever. Everyone has their puzzle piece.

Dont wait for things to come to you, because they wont. Go out there and kick some ass, and take some names.

EVE Online player since 2007.

"Our greatest glory consist not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

- Oliver Goldsmith

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I dont actually agree.

what do you expect in a game that rewards long time players more than every other game? And tries to cater those veterans above anything else?

I'm not sure what "rewards" your on about.  Ive a 7 year old character and there isnt anything I can do that a 3 month old player cant do.

I've a friend who after only two weeks was pvping, exploring wormhole space, mining.. crafting... doing all this solo.   Then joined a corp and is as much involved with the corp as their oldest members are.

The single only difference to a vet and a new player is that the vet has more knowledge and understanding and so he can exploit this knowledge far more efficiently.

But a new player that is taught this knowledge from vets can exploit it just the same.

• FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222

what do you expect in a game that rewards long time players more than every other game? And tries to cater those veterans above anything else?

I'm not sure what "rewards" your on about.  Ive a 7 year old character and there isnt anything I can do that a 3 month old player cant do.

I've a friend who after only two weeks was pvping, exploring wormhole space, mining.. crafting... doing all this solo.   Then joined a corp and is as much involved with the corp as their oldest members are.

The single only difference to a vet and a new player is that the vet has more knowledge and understanding and so he can exploit this knowledge far more efficiently.

But a new player that is taught this knowledge from vets can exploit it just the same.

Yes some people really like the new player experience, I can't say I didn't either. But if you look at the meta game you see that the whole of nulsec sovereignty revolves around Supercapitals. And because the passive skillpoint system  is just very, very slow (like many things in EVE), you can't seriously fly and fit one before you're around for like 2-3 years. And even then you still can't fly a lot of ships and fullfil a lot of roles. A 2 year old player may still not be able to fly an optimized Dictor, Ceptor or Logistics ship. A lot of those really need skills to V to really work decently and have a lot of lvl V skills as prereqs.

Another difference between new and older players is optmimized skills. Of course tactics and player skill plays a role but it's still frustrating that even in a t1 frigate, a 4 year old veteran is likely to be (for example) 10% faster, use 15% less cap, has 17% better defences, 11% better tracking and deals 20% more damage because he bothered to train all those extra skills to V. And the fact that - because of the passive skilltraining - there's no way to even that out except for staying subscribed for a lot more months/years (or buying someone else's character) really, really gives veterans an advantage. Which is really quite extreme for any mmorpg.

Yes you can say it's not important but for many people it's kind of frustrating and discouraging. It's one of the main reasons people stop playing. Some people just like an even playing field and can't be bothered to wait a few years before they have the same skills and can fly the same ships as a veteran. Grinding levels for few months is one thing, waiting for 5 years is quite another.

So yes, there's not single game around that rewards veterans as much as EVE. It's for a reason it's one of the most top heavy games. I'm not saying it's neccessarily bad, it's just not for everyone to dedicate to a game for so long to be able to even fly most ships. In most games you can level 10 characters to max level before you can decently fly and fit even half the ships in EVE. By far the most new players are discouraged by it and quit playing. That's why EVE will always stay a niche game.

• ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231

Yes some people really like the new player experience, I can't say I didn't either. But if you look at the meta game you see that the whole of nulsec sovereignty revolves around Supercapitals. And because the passive skillpoint system  is just very, very slow (like many things in EVE), you can't seriously fly and fit one before you're around for like 2-3 years. And even then you still can't fly a lot of ships and fullfil a lot of roles. A 2 year old player may still not be able to fly an optimized Dictor, Ceptor or Logistics ship. A lot of those really need skills to V to really work decently and have a lot of lvl V skills as prereqs.

Another difference between new and older players is optmimized skills. Of course tactics and player skill plays a role but it's still frustrating that even in a t1 frigate, a 4 year old veteran is likely to be (for example) 10% faster, use 15% less cap, has 17% better defences, 11% better tracking and deals 20% more damage because he bothered to train all those extra skills to V. And the fact that - because of the passive skilltraining - there's no way to even that out except for staying subscribed for a lot more months/years (or buying someone else's character) really, really gives veterans an advantage. Which is really quite extreme for any mmorpg.

Yes you can say it's not important but for many people it's kind of frustrating and discouraging. It's one of the main reasons people stop playing. Some people just like an even playing field and can't be bothered to wait a few years before they have the same skills and can fly the same ships as a veteran. Grinding levels for few months is one thing, waiting for 5 years is quite another.

So yes, there's not single game around that rewards veterans as much as EVE. It's for a reason it's one of the most top heavy games. I'm not saying it's neccessarily bad, it's just not for everyone to dedicate to a game for so long to be able to even fly most ships. In most games you can level 10 characters to max level before you can decently fly and fit even half the ships in EVE. By far the most new players are discouraged by it and quit playing. That's why EVE will always stay a niche game.

Alright for number uno...... Supercaps got nerfed kinda big its not just about who has the most caps anymore.  PL just lost like 5 captials the other day to sub class ships.  and 3 or 4 of those caps were supers. You need support with your caps again to be efficent.

I started pvping in a BC after about 1 month  and was doing fine and got some kills. Yes Vets have an easier time but they are not unbeatable.

• kattehuskattehus Member UncommonPosts: 375

I had a rather lengthy reply, but I accidentally clicked a link and it all disappeared. >.<

Here's the much-stripped version:

EVE rewards veterans, yes. Any game should reward their veterans, in my opinion. That can only be a good thing.

Being in the game longer gives you versatility - you can fly more ships, better (skill-wise).

EVE isn't about catching up. It's about setting your own goals and fulfilling them. (Ok, granted, your goal can't be catch up to vets)

As a new player, you want to specialize. Then you can beat a vet within a week.

The extra percentages give an edge, yes, but they're not game breakingly good. And they don't take too long (at most, 30 days for level five). Getting a skill to four will give you what they have, minus about five per cent (or less). That's not a big edge. And a skill to level four takes two or maybe three days.

Also, if you specialize, it takes about 4 months to fly a t2 fit logi, with support skills at 5. This is without calculating the speed boost and implants.

Also, while nullsec might focus on supercaps, all the smaller support ships are still important. Did you see that Goon poster? Here's a link! This counts as much today as it did when they made it.

Also, nullsec does have some sweet sub-cap fights.

CCP has done a lot of things to cater more to new players. The removal of learning skills was one. The skill-training boost in the beginning is another. They're focusing on their NPE.

Edit; Wrong picture linked. :(

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0
    -Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (: