Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is this the most well hidden gem mmo?

drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

i saw toweliee on twitch play this yesterday and i got to say i loved the night realism!but is it true there is nothing to do in this game,like 0 quest 0 everything?is this a hidden gem or a flop!how much is it!7.50$ a month?

Comments

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by drbaltazar

i saw toweliee on twitch play this yesterday and i got to say i loved the night realism!but is it true there is nothing to do in this game,like 0 quest 0 everything?is this a hidden gem or a flop!how much is it!7.50$ a month?

I guess the verdict is stil out. Calling it a gem is a bit of a stretch, I'd say a very rough gem maybe?

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300

Its 15 Euros per month and most of the vets have more than 1 accounts.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

After the initial awesomeness, the joy eventually gives way to boredom and frustration.

I loved the first few weeks, but after finding out I couldn't make any gear of use for a long long time, getting regularly killed by reds when trying to make some honest coin, pickpocketed in every major city and generally having nothing to do but run around the world I had had enough. Call me a quitter but in the 3-4hrs I can play each day it was just too much work for too little progress.

The world looks really good, the mood is excellent, but the game is just too empty. And the world is staggeringly small once you learn your way around.

The game is a really good start for something great, but whether it will ever be as great as it could be remains to be seen. Probably not with its current developer.

• sandboxluvsandboxluv Member Posts: 56

Yeah it is such a gem most vets don't think it should be advertised.

[mod edited]

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

Originally posted by kakasaki

I guess the verdict is stil out. Calling it a gem is a bit of a stretch, I'd say a very rough gem maybe?

This is pretty accurate.

Its a gem to some and others hate it.

If your a solo player you will have a hard time and may get bored with the current game if you don't set your own goals. The new expansion Awakening is suppose to improve the PvE side of the game so that could open it up to a lot of people assuming it actually does what they say it will.

Originally posted by Vonatar

After the initial awesomeness, the joy eventually gives way to boredom and frustration.

I loved the first few weeks, but after finding out I couldn't make any gear of use for a long long time, getting regularly killed by reds when trying to make some honest coin, pickpocketed in every major city and generally having nothing to do but run around the world I had had enough. Call me a quitter but in the 3-4hrs I can play each day it was just too much work for too little progress.

The world looks really good, the mood is excellent, but the game is just too empty. And the world is staggeringly small once you learn your way around.

The game is a really good start for something great, but whether it will ever be as great as it could be remains to be seen. Probably not with its current developer.

Sadly this is what most new players experience.

If there where some sort of tutorials in game this player would have realized you can make standard PvP gear with a crafter in less than a week. There are a lot of helpful guides on the forums and some players are helpfull, but many people expect the game to explain that sort of thing (which i think it should to some degree).

If you don't get involved with a guild and/or other players this game will get old fast. You bascially have to make your own fun and set your own goals as the game is now.

But like I said many people are crossing their fingers for the Awakening expansion which will supposedly add in new mobs, dungeons, AI, town trading system etc that will make the game less of a PvP deathmatch and more of an RPG along with improving the UI and new player experience.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

so it is similar to the real money game cant recall the name.you start nude and you got to craft everything etc!but are there quest ?is it because the beginning is beginning to low ? like normally you start your 30 with a weapon etc bu is it here you start at 15 and you dont have one $ to buy a torch?what is the questing aspect ,is it like other game ,if yes is it because it start later and slower?

• SandboxerXSandboxerX Member Posts: 14
    Its not really hidden. Every sandbox mmo gamer knows about Mortal online. The problem is not everyone knows what a real sanbox is.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

so it is similar to the real money game cant recall the name.you start nude and you got to craft everything etc!but are there quest ?is it because the beginning is beginning to low ? like normally you start your 30 with a weapon etc bu is it here you start at 15 and you dont have one $ to buy a torch?what is the questing aspect ,is it like other game ,if yes is it because it start later and slower?

there are no quests, this is a sandbox and whilst questing can be considered a simple feature of an mmo for many the questing is the mmo but with a sandbox each feature is just as important and MO has no quests (maybe later maybe never). esentially MO is a seamless non instanced gameworld with no loadscreens other than the initial one and no quests. You start out in a town in rags and must from there decide what the future of your char will be. Theres around 2000+ skills in MO which in urn are idvided into primary and secondary, primary cost skill points and each char has a cap of 1100 skill points. Secondary skills cost no skill points but usually requrie a prequesite (another skill to be trained) in order to train the skill.

The game is all about progression in a very harsh world were death is usually just aronud the corner, and safety in numbers is the key. Playing in a group keeps oyu alive and joining a guild allows you access to all the aspects of MO since no 1 character can be independant since you are restricted in what you can esentially do through skill points. Being a butcher or a warrior or a mage or some form of crafter etc is best decided upon before entering the world so you have a clear direction of were you want to take that character.

MO's biggest strengths are its individuality and its complexity. Its full loot, its seamless, its in FPV only, it has nudity, it has a crafting system with over 1.2mill combinations its extraction and mining system is very indepth and complex. MO brings complexity to all aspects of it, from swinging a sword to turning granum into eventually steel. The combat system is twitch based also.

MO's biggest weakneses are its bugs, all of the above if it isnt for you, for some its lack of pve (being changed with awakening) and its lack of tutorials and ease of play for new players.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• thwompithwompi Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by argirop

Its 15 Euros per month

to clarify, its 11.40 euros, roughly 15.10 US for monthly down to 6 mo for 11.92 mo

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-MO/mortal-online

sry for the public service announcement :/ but 15 euro is almost 20$ a month

im still trial and i dont know how much CC's or paypal enjoy converting moneys..

edit: quick googling says paypal adds 2.5%

Is it just me or has viral marketing been kicked into overdrive?

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

No, its not marketing. With challenging pve in the game, as long as it works... Will make the game that much better.

Wow I did not know challenging pve will make the multitude of bugs and exploits go away.  I am one of the players that would like to see that gone before new bug ridden content is introduced.  We still have bugs from DAWN let alone release and so on.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Originally posted by sandboxluv

Is it just me or has viral marketing been kicked into overdrive?

Nah, that guy is a special case.

• udorusudorus Member Posts: 79

No op it is truly bad i wish it was better hidden then we wouldn't be constantly reminded it still exists.

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300

Originally posted by thwompi

Originally posted by argirop

Its 15 Euros per month

to clarify, its 11.40 euros, roughly 15.10 US for monthly down to 6 mo for 11.92 mo

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-MO/mortal-online

sry for the public service announcement :/ but 15 euro is almost 20$ a month

im still trial and i dont know how much CC's or paypal enjoy converting moneys..

You are correct its not 15 euros its 14.25. Thats a copy paste from my billing mail 14.25 EUR (Incl. 25% VAT = 2.85 EUR)

But still quite a high price concidering what MO offers.

I dont know if you are free of charge in US of some kind of tax we are forced to pay in Europe but that might be the case. 

Originally posted by deathshroud

MO's biggest strengths are its individuality and its complexity. Its full loot, its seamless, its in FPV only, it has nudity, it has a crafting system with over 1.2mill combinations its extraction and mining system is very indepth and complex. MO brings complexity to all aspects of it, from swinging a sword to turning granum into eventually steel. The combat system is twitch based also.

MO is not complex at all. Appart from extracting that can be concidered a bit complex all the other aspects of the game are awfuly simple. Mining for example. How do you consider it complex is beyond me: equiping a pickaxe and pressing one button. As it is about the 1.2 million combinations you know better than me that 1.17/1.2 combinations are pretty much useless and they need some love that SV refuses to give for almost 2 years now. Theres no complexity at all in compat. Is realistic but totaly simple and outdated and the fact that UI is crap and bugs are all around makes it not complex but frustrating. All combat is based in 2 mouse buttons and 3 directions. If you call that complex i m sorry but i call that simple. As i said again i will agree on the part that extraction is indeed complex. 

MO's biggest weakneses are its bugs, all of the above if it isnt for you, for some its lack of pve (being changed with awakening) and its lack of tutorials and ease of play for new players.

MO's biggest weaknes in my eyes is SV. The very own company that came up with the idea of MO but keep on failing delivering it due to lack of funds, knowledge, skills or whatever each one of us wants to believe. Unfortunately its not only bugs that come along with the game but many other things that they shouldnt be present or they should be but not as they are. I ll agree not to start mentioning things that allready being said numerous times.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by deathshroud

there are no quests, this is a sandbox and whilst questing can be considered a simple feature of an mmo for many the questing is the mmo but with a sandbox each feature is just as important and MO has no quests (maybe later maybe never). esentially MO is a seamless non instanced gameworld with no loadscreens other than the initial one and no quests. You start out in a town in rags and must from there decide what the future of your char will be. Theres around 2000+ skills in MO which in urn are idvided into primary and secondary, primary cost skill points and each char has a cap of 1100 skill points. Secondary skills cost no skill points but usually requrie a prequesite (another skill to be trained) in order to train the skill.

The game is all about progression in a very harsh world were death is usually just aronud the corner, and safety in numbers is the key. Playing in a group keeps oyu alive and joining a guild allows you access to all the aspects of MO since no 1 character can be independant since you are restricted in what you can esentially do through skill points. Being a butcher or a warrior or a mage or some form of crafter etc is best decided upon before entering the world so you have a clear direction of were you want to take that character.

Having last played MO in November and December, I would say this  is a fair assessment. This game is not for everyone. You have to be willing to look past bugs (which didn't bother me in the time I played, but I know there are some serious ones). This game gives depth and complexity. That's the trade off.  

You have to make your own plan of what to do. You can't really just jump in an play. I think you need to read up on things --crafting, how to build your character(s). I played solo with my team of avatars: warrior, butcher, gatherers, crafters. I planned to build up my warrior to a certain point and then to start  pvping and looking for a guild. The decent guilds will ask you to do a pvp trial before they let you in. I wanted to be ready for that. 

Having a thick skin will help. Some things that happen may be griefing, but sometimes there may be tactical reasons for why you got slammed down because of the territory control wars. This makes the game much more interesting. The world seemed dynamic and there was a feeling needing to follow in-game politics and wars to know where was safe and where was dangerous. You had to think about stuff like where you keep your wealth because of localized banking. If a town goes red, you are out of luck. If that kind of stuff bothers you, you can't enjoy this game. You need to develop your toon and your skills to a certain point and then join a guild. You need to research out of game and check websites and apply and stuff like that.

In any case, I stopped playing in December because I just didn't have the time to invest in this game. I now play a couple of those glossy simplified games because it suits my schedule. But I would rather have time for MO. 

I don't see any reason for the hate this game inspires. However, it's certainly not for everyone and it is a niche game. It is getting better over time, but I have no predictions about where this game will be in a year or two if it still exists. I hope it is around and doing well.

Bottom line: BUYER BEWARE. It's up to you to follow due diligence if you are considering buying this game.  If you want a deep and complex game then the price you will have to pay is tolerance for bugs and other flaws that the glossy, simple, big studio developed games don't have (so much of). In my opinion (with Darkfall in LIMBO, almost literally), MO is the best (only?  -- not including Xsyon [not really pvp] or EVE [Excel + spaceships]) pvp sandbox available.

• thwompithwompi Member Posts: 2

wouldnt know yet, other than paypals 2.5% conversion. edited^^